Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old May 22nd, 2009, 04:10 AM   #1
JLHurley
Warrior

Default Optimism and family

The new Star Trek movie's co-writers/co-Executive Producers Alex Kurtzman and Robert Orci spoke to Newsarama ( http://www.newsarama.com/film/090521...orci-trek.html ), and Kurtzman had this to say at the beginning of the interview:

"... When we sat down to ask ourselves what Star Trek is about, at the end of the day, it was about the spirit of the family and the promise of optimism. The bridge crew is a surrogate family and the idea we were out there working with other alien species to explore new worlds was just a very hopeful notion. ..."

I've never been a big ST fan but the comment about the show being at heart about optimism and family made me think of the original {ahem} BG, which to me was very much about optimism/hope and family/friends. Considering ST has already passed $150 million, it would seem there's an audience for movies/TV series with those aspects, too.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:24 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Optimism and family

Oh my, yes..... in fact, it should be Y E S !!

You absolutely hit the nail on the head... TOS Battlestar was about facing your future with optimism, in the face of complete disaster. It was about hope not hopelessness.

It does appear that folks will readily back a movie or show that gives some glimmer of hope as opposed to complete hopelessness.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 07:48 PM   #3
JAFO
Bad Email Address

I completely agree. I'm new here so if I'm repeating what's already been discussed here try and overlook me

Recently I watched the BSG Second Coming trailer for the first time. I was absolutely blown away!!! That thing's got so much eneregy and optimism. It had such a feeling of how Apollo and crew are going to rightfully take back what they'd lost - what had been ripped from them. They were going to stand their ground and fight for their very survival. Man...if that trailer (updated with today's CGI) was played during the previews before the new Star Trek movie it would be a smash hit! Well, I can dream, right?

JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO View Post
I completely agree. I'm new here so if I'm repeating what's already been discussed here try and overlook me

This chorus will never get so large that another voice wouldn't be welcomed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFO
Recently I watched the BSG Second Coming trailer for the first time. I was absolutely blown away!!! That thing's got so much eneregy and optimism. It had such a feeling of how Apollo and crew are going to rightfully take back what they'd lost - what had been ripped from them. They were going to stand their ground and fight for their very survival. Man...if that trailer (updated with today's CGI) was played during the previews before the new Star Trek movie it would be a smash hit! Well, I can dream, right?

Sounds like a nice dream to me... who knows, maybe we will see something like that in our lifetime.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:57 PM   #5
Sarika
Strike Leader

I agree on all your points here gentlemen!
I too saw Richard's SC trailer recently and I was lost in awe! It indeed posesses a huge HIT in my eyes and heart!

It is fabulous! With all the spirit and heart that we came to know so well in TOS!

The Last Piscon Siress

HSH Princess Sarika Her Highness' MySpace
Sarika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM   #6
monolith21
Squadron Leader

I don't think it will cement OUR continuation as a reality, but the success of Star Trek might help us out a little. After all they went back to the original premise, uniforms (though stylized) and optimistic outlook of the original show. Low and behold it is a smash success. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that it made people feel good and was a heck of a ride!

I think the trend of dismal=realistic and optimism=bad is finally starting to wear on people. We certainly don't need movies or television shows to tell us that life can sometimes suck. Hope is a powerful concept.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #7
Sarika
Strike Leader

HAIL oh mighty MONOLITH!!!
i couldn't put it better!