Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 29th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default [BAD NEWS]...........The Scifi Channel had a great year?

NEW YORK, Dec. 16 /PRNewswire/ -- SCI FI Channel's success grew to galactic proportions in 2003. In addition to taking home the Emmy for Outstanding Miniseries Event for Steven Spielberg Presents TAKEN, SCI FI secured development deals with Hollywood heavyweights Steven Spielberg, Martin Scorsese, Bryan Singer, Dean Devlin and Gale Anne Hurd. SCI FI also delivered its best-ever primetime rating, with an average 1.0 for the year. The Channel scored with viewers in nearly every key demographic, ranking within the Top 10 of all basic cable nets for P25-54, M25-54, M18-49 and W25-54.

Now fully-distributed at 83 million homes, SCI FI punctuated its phenomenal 2003 with the premiere of Battlestar Galactica, basic cable's highest-rated dramatic event of the year.

Highlights for 2003 include:* A 1.0 primetime average -- SCI FI's best-ever primetime performance, up 11% from 2002 * SCI FI's best-ever cable broadcast season with HH rating up 25% over last year's performance, 36% growth in average HH audience vs. 2002, and up 29% in total viewers over 4Q01-3Q02 * Driven by the continued success of Stargate SG-1, SCI FI had its best Summer ever with a 1.6 average for new episodes of this SCI FI Friday original series.* Primetime viewership (M-Su, 7-11pm) grew onsiderably among M18-34 (+11%) * Fueled by the Stargate SG-1 stack, Monday nights grew across every key demo: HHs (+31%), P25-54 (+18%), P18-49 (+17%)* While most networks struggled to find young male viewers, SCI FI jumped 24% among M18-34 for total day (M-Su, 6am-6pm)

Battlestar Galactica: This highly-anticipated miniseries event premiered to critical praise and stunning ratings. Battlestar Galactica earned an average 3.5/4,177,000 P2+. Cable's most-watched miniseries of 2003, Battlestar Galactica outdelivered HBO's Angels in America by more than 600,000 viewers. The two-night, four-hour drama drew a broad audience, garnering SCI FI's best demographic ratings for the year among: P25-54, P18-49, M18-49, M18-34, W25-54, W18-49 and W18-34. Night One of the miniseries, which premiered to a 3.2/3,902,000 P2+, was outdone by Night Two of the mini, which jumped to a 3.8/4,460,000 P2+ premiere. SCI FI's highest-rated program for 2003, Battlestar Galactica took its place as the 3rd-highest-rated original event in the Channel's history, behind only Steven Spielberg Presents TAKEN and Frank Herbert's Dune.

Frank Herbert's Children of Dune: This three-night epic, a continuation of the Dune saga, earned an Emmy Award (Outstanding Visual Effects) and drew an average rating of 2.41/2,700,000 P2+. The five airings of the miniseries delivered an aggregate audience of 18,200,000 P2+.

SCI FI Original Series: Stargate SG-1* SCI FI's highest-rated original series, new episodes averaged a 1.7, for the full year -- a 42% improvement over the 2002 time period average (Fridays 9pm, 1.2) * The season 7 premiere (June 13) set a number of SCI FI records: the highest HH audience (1,544,000) and most viewers (2,433,000 P2+) for a June telecast, and the highest viewership of any season premiere of any series on the Channel * The continuation of the SG-1 Monday stack (7-11pm) resulted in a 71% improvement in ratings (vs. January-September '02, 0.7)

Scare Tactics: This Shannen Doherty-hosted series continued to attract younger viewers, with original episodes averaging a 0.7 among P18-49 and a 0.8 among P25-54. The show's 0.6 among P18-34 is a 20% improvement over the April-December 2002 time period average. The show's two-episode series premiere on April 4 was watched by 1,370,000 A18-49 -- the largest audience in this demo for a series premiere in SCI FI history.

Movies & Specials: SCI FI premiered 20 original Saturday night movies in 2003, solidifying the Channel as the largest producer of original movies on television * Saturday night original movies averaged a 1.4 rating -- up 17% over the non-original movies that aired in the same time period, and 40% higher than the network's 1.0 primetime average * With a 2.2/2,735,000 P2+, Riverworld's March 22 premiere exceeded its time period average (Sat. 9pm-11pm) by a whopping 86% - and became the most-watched original movie to air on SCI FI on a Saturday night * The New Roswell: Kecksburg Exposed garnered a 1.5/1,835,000 P2+ (Oct. 24 at 9pm) -- the highest-rated non-fiction program to air on SCI FI in 2003

Source: Nielsen Media Research, qualifications available upon request.
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 12:34 PM   #2
jjrakman

Quote:
Now fully-distributed at 83 million homes, SCI FI punctuated its phenomenal 2003 with the premiere of Battlestar Galactica, basic cable's highest-rated dramatic event of the year.
This is simply an outright lie, when the info that came directly from the Nielson website showed that the pseudo-galactica did not even make the top ten for cable networks.
Old December 29th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Somebody pick me up off the floor........!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:36 PM   #4
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman This is simply an outright lie, when the info that came directly from the Nielson website showed that the pseudo-galactica did not even make the top ten for cable networks.
Numbers can be taken into any context say The Scifi Channel puts 'em in, and it will be true. Take out ESPN. WWF not THAT TYPE OF SHOW, JJ..........

"A lie told often enough becomes truth."

JJ it's true the way that press release told it. SCIFI's Press release JJ, IT AIN'T CALLED "SlyLie" BY ACCIDENT!

Just popped into the Tremor's MODERATED BOARD.(everyone on Scifi, Xmass day, duh)

From SciFi Wire:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/
Top TEN SciFi Channel Shows
SHOW---------------------HHR

Stargate SG-1------------1.4
Terminator 2-------------1.3
Event Horizon------------1.1
Red Planet---------------1.1
Tremors: The Series------1.0
Interceptor Force 2------1.0
Stargate-----------------0.9 (The Movie)
Interceptor Force--------0.9
Supernova----------------0.8
Wing Commander-----------0.8

Source: Nielsen Galaxy Report, 12/1/03 - 12/7/03.

Last edited by dvo47p; December 29th, 2003 at 05:43 PM..
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #5
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

Default Re: [BAD NEWS]...........The Scifi Channel had a great year?

Quote:
Originally posted by dvo47p
Basic cable? I can't speak for anyone else, but the Sci Fi Channel isn't part of my basic cable list of channels. You have to pay extra for it or have a digital cable box.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 05:51 PM   #6
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Re: Re: [BAD NEWS]...........The Scifi Channel had a great year?

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbuck
Basic cable? I can't speak for anyone else, but the Sci Fi Channel isn't part of my basic cable list of channels. You have to pay extra for it or have a digital cable box.
I dropped my cable when Scifi dropped Farscape & drove that mini on us. Whamo, The Scifi Channel became like ESPN
part of a package deal on my satellite package. No increase, just THERE!
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:18 PM   #7
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Its part of my basic package.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:20 PM   #8
amberstar
Strike Leader

Sadly, it is included in my basic cable. The only extras are HBO, & Max. If you have a box you can pay extra for pay per view movies.
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:13 PM   #9
octagon
Shuttle Pilot

John Edward can make people believe anything LOL
octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 04:55 PM   #10
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by octagon
John Edward can make people believe anything LOL
He can't make me beleive that he's a psychic and talks to the dead.....

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM   #11
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini1999 He can't make me believe that he's a psychic and talks to the dead.....Bryan
NO, just a phony that pretends to listen to 'em for money.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gemini1999 Somebody pick me up off the floor........!Bryan
Ok, consider you’re self-picked up, that is off the floor, only.

Quote:
Originally posted by amberstar
Sadly, it is included in my basic cable. The only extras are HBO, & Max. If you have a box you can pay extra for pay per view movies.
Oh nice Avatar, so I bet you are like Muffit, married amberstar?

"Nice Avatar", jeez I sound like a freshman, oh my.

I got mad, quit TimeWarner cable, wrote a letter to The Scifi Wire, got published, Ian put it out in the Pulse, then my satellite provider put The Scifi Channel in to ESPN the very next month. But hey I get about twenty different state PUBLIC TV plus news from Alaska, San Diego, San Francisco and NY,NY.

Quote:
Originally posted by Flamingo Girl
Its part of my basic package.
Ditto, now, go figure?

Last edited by dvo47p; December 30th, 2003 at 05:55 PM..