Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old August 8th, 2002, 07:20 AM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default The Cylon Death Machine/Gun On Ice Planet Zero

Hi,
This novel was very different from the episode aired. First of all we learn that the replacement Vipers aren't as good as the original ones. It is only due to the skills of great pilots like Starbuck and Apollo that make them as formidable as the originals. The new Vipers are assembled on the foundry ship from and metal/materials that is salvaged from anywhere it can be found. Baltar isn't in the novel at all and it is the Imperious leader that orders both attacks on the Colonial Fleet. The Cylons have also come up with remote controlled Raiders that are controlled from a safe distance. The Cylons have brains after all. We also learn why Vulpa was sent to the ice planet. The Imperious Leader feared this Cylon would take over for him. The cover art for the book was used in TV guide for the premiere episode. People have speculated that the woman was supposed to be Athena. Look closely however and one can tell that she is none other than Leda.
There is also a part in the book in which the Imperious Leader interviews a hologram of Starbuck and asks it questions. Near the end of the book, Boxey is trapped in one of the remote control Raiders as it lifts off. Unfortunately I gave all my BSG books to my cousin and can't look up how he was eventually rescued. In the episode none of this took place with Boxey. This is also why the books were better than the episodes in providing more of a back story.

Regards,
Paul
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2002, 11:49 PM   #2
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default Hey

Hey Paul,

You know what? I need to re-read all the novelizations. It's been more than twenty years since I read them. You keep reminding me of details I'd forgotten. One thing I do remember, is that Imperious Leader and Lucifer were both highly developed characters in the books. Even many centurians get decent character treatment. The stories are different in a lot of ways. I always read them as what had been intended for the screen, but with the realities of television, they were unable to actually produce, so despite many inaccuracies to what was filmed, they are really great books for the most part. Maybe part of the reason BSG really stuck with me was the reinforcement of good novelizations.

Thanks for making me break out the old books and re-read them. As if I had the time...! But don't feel too guilty, they've been calling me for yahrens....

LOL!

Ken
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2002, 10:43 AM   #3
captmiloman
Bad Email Address

I have several of the TV episode novels packed away somewhere. I need to find them and do some re-reading. I'm also looking for the original novels from that era. I know there were a couple published back in the 80's.
captmiloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 11:56 AM   #4
Afan2
Bad Email Address

Default For kingfish.

Quote:
Near the end of the book, Boxey is trapped in one of the remote control Raiders as it lifts off. Unfortunately I gave all my BSG books to my cousin and can't look up how he was eventually rescued. In the episode none of this took place with Boxey.
Croft saves Boxey, believe it or not! When Apollo learns from the Theta kids that Boxey was inside one of the remote controlled raiders which had taken off, he and Croft get into another Cylon raider, and take off after Boxey's remote raider. They manage to get next to it, and Croft goes to get Boxey while Apollo is flying the raider.
I thought the idea of remote controlled raiders was clever.

Quote:
The cover art for the book was used in TV guide for the premiere episode. People have speculated that the woman was supposed to be Athena. Look closely however and one can tell that she is none other than Leda.
I'm not sure about this. I know the picture you are referring to, but I think it came about very early, possibly when the TV show was still under production. It probably intends to represent Apollo, Starbuck, and Athena (who was going to be as important a character as them).
It gives the impression that some of the actors had not been cast yet. "Apollo" is definitely Richard Hatch, but "Starbuck" doesn't look much like Dirk Benedict.
Afan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 12:12 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Hi,
Thanks for the info. This was actually supposed to be the second episode aired after the pilot. That was why there was no Cassiopea in it. I read that they were going to kill off both characters, Cassiopea and Serina in the pilot but had a change of heart and kept Laurette Sprang around.

Paul
Old November 11th, 2002, 08:02 AM   #6
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Hi,
Jewels here is another thread.

Paul
Old November 11th, 2002, 10:48 AM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by kingfish
Hi,
Jewels here is another thread.

Paul
Where? this one we're in?

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM   #8
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Yes. I started the topic.

Paul
Old November 2nd, 2003, 12:04 AM   #9
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: The Cylon Death Machine/Gun On Ice Planet Zero

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfish
Hi,

.... Near the end of the book, Boxey is trapped in one of the remote control Raiders as it lifts off. Unfortunately I gave all my BSG books to my cousin and can't look up how he was eventually rescued. In the episode none of this took place with Boxey.
Hhmmm.... A little kid, stuck in a starfighter, during a climactic battle. Where O where have I heard that one before...??????
And people accussed BSG of stealing from SW! Yeah, right.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 09:12 AM   #10
Bijou88

I think that many of the differences between the episodes and the novels come from two sources. First, the authors (Robert Thurston, Ron Goulart, Nicholas Yermakov and Michael Resnick) wanted to expand the story from the episodes to include character developement that there isn't time for on television. This allows them to include background information that adds but does not detract from the main story. Additionally, the authors (especially in the early books) might be working from an early draft of the script. I really enjoyed the original novel series and wished that it went beyond the 14th book in the series.
Old October 8th, 2011, 11:25 PM   #11
Senmut
Strike Leader

For the most part, the eps were better.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 9th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #12
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou88 View Post
Additionally, the authors (especially in the early books) might be working from an early draft of the script. I really enjoyed the original novel series and wished that it went beyond the 14th book in the series.
I concur, they have the feel of being written from a slightly different story bible..

I didn't mind the books, I just wish I had managed to snaffle all of them. I still look out for the missing ones in bookshops etc, but its usually the three versions of Saga that are there (the photo novel and the 2 versions of the text versions)
BSG merchandise came down here, but not all of it and not very much of it (probably the 'leftover' stock from US and UK releases??) It was very popular and didn't last long in store,

Cheers,
Lara
Old October 9th, 2011, 06:01 AM   #13
LZaza
Warrior

Likely you'd have more luck getting them on line.

Try Abebooks or Amazon.

Constantly amazed at the out of print stuff I can find there.

http://www.abebooks.com/?cm_mmc=ggl-...eBooksabebooks
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #14
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

I've been able to snag good copies of most of the novels on Amazon. I'm now down to just 4 missings ones now. I stopped looking when my son was born, but I will be resuming the search again.

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #15
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

"Gun" was made into a two-hour telemovie in the early 1980s. In its opening credits, the brief videos you see of each of the actors include Laurette Spang and John Colicos, although neither of them are in the movie!
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #16
Benedict
Warrior

More's the pity, you could never have enough Colicos on Galactica.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #17
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollecto View Post
"Gun" was made into a two-hour telemovie in the early 1980s. In its opening credits, the brief videos you see of each of the actors include Laurette Spang and John Colicos, although neither of them are in the movie!
Weird, since Colicos was in the original ep.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old October 10th, 2011, 04:44 AM   #18
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Default to senmut

You're right, Colicos was in the telemovie.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #19
Jubal
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Hhmmm.... A little kid, stuck in a starfighter, during a climactic battle. Where O where have I heard that one before...??????
And people accussed BSG of stealing from SW! Yeah, right.
That is funny. Have to admit, I would have loved to see Boxey try his had at flying. Again, as a kid I think Boxey made it seem possible I could have been on Galactica, even if just to run around, occationally play cards with the pilots.. all before bedtime.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:44 AM   #20
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I thought the bit with Boxey and the fighter was among the weaker parts of the book.

The simulation of Starbuck was a brilliant idea and the concept that the Imperious Leader was using a computer generated hologram to try to understand the human mind was an aspect that really amplified the Cylon mindset. The books made it clear that the Cylons were truly confused as to why mankind acted as it did.

The other element that was interesting in this book is that the Cylons previously had a lot more advanced technology. The ice planet was formerly a lush world that the Cylons had moved into position to use as a gun platform. Its new location froze it over. By the time of the book, the Cylons had lost the ability to move large space bodies.

All my best,

Russell