Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:09 PM   #31
Jubal
Warrior

Default Re: BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives

For me, Battlestar and Buck Rogers had two great cameo moments. Battlestar with Fred Astaire and Buck Rogers with Buster Crabb (who played Buck Rogers in the 30's and still looked awesome in 1980... though he died not long after)

I am really torn which of the two cameos I liked best.

For Buck Rogers, you have the passing of the torch. Gil Girard (as Buck Rogers) is meeting Buster Crabb (as Col. Gordon... like Flash Gordon, another Crabb role).

SHEAR AWESOMENESS!

But then I am a big Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire fan. And here we have someone who I have seen in the big screen, that being Fred Astaire, and he is a good actor. A dancer first, but a good actor. And he is charming. I mean who better to show where Starbuck got his charm from than Fred Astaire... as a con man.

And apparently a womanizer as well, because Starbuck happened.

The episode kicks sideways from the exploring of planets and fighting Cylons or other races. Here we get to see life among the fleet. What it is like to see the civilian side of things. I liked that.

And you get to see the intra-fleet TV network. A nice touch.

You know if I had to demonstrate Battlestar Galactica in an episode, I probably wouldn't pick this one, but it soooo rounds out the feel of the show and balances out a lot. And for that reason it is one of those I like a lot.

Oohhh!!! Almost forgot. A few months ago Richard Hatch stopped in at a sci-fi convention in Plano. I'd seen Richard before but wanted to say hi and all. Always great to see him. So when I stepped over to his table, and got an autograph, I got it on a picture of him and Dirk, and Fred Astaire.

"Ahh it amazes me that more people don't pick that picture" he starts off by saying "maybe because it is a black and white print, but it was a joy to work with Fred Astaire." And he talked about how Fred was very quiet, but friendly to work with. Said that from his experience those that are truly big don't act big. He said that was the way of Fred Astaire. He was a big man, a great man, and well, he didn't act it.

That was just what I wanted to hear. Sometimes I find myself asking some stars about other stars that I never got to meet, as if a way to meet that other star second hand. Richard's moment of story telling was cool about Fred Astaire.

Now if I ever meet Gil, I hope he can tell me about Mr. Crabb.
Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:00 PM   #32
Benedict
Warrior

Fantastic post and I quite agree. Fred Astaire being the legend he was, his chemistry with Benedict. One scene that stands out in that regard is when they're on the shuttle going over to...Galactica or Rising Star. Also like, as you point out, the intra-fleet news. Reminds me of when I read that US carrier's have their own news station, at least it was true of the Enterprise.
Love that opening scene going to and on the Rising Star with Starbuck and his latest surefire win and poor old Apollo. "This is my conscience, Apollo."
Cool story about Hatch. Reminds me of when I met George Lazenby, though his comment was on the rarity of the picture I chose rather than the legend of someone like Fred Astaire
Never seem to get to meet these heroes of mine.

And yes on Buck Rogers though some of my favourite guests on the series Michael Ansara and Anne Lockhart (aside from Pamela Hensley, of course)
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2010, 02:44 PM   #33
skippercollecto
Squadron Leader

Remember Clackers? I finally realized that they are what the laser bolls remind me of.
skippercollecto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #34
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Default Concerning "The Man With Nine Lives"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Quite a lot. They have no families, no roots. It offers them the chance for some sort of belonging and cohesion.
"No argument there," says Colonel Archon. "The raid on Umbra orphaned me too, just as it orphaned Starbuck. The main difference was that I didn't become this fumerello-puffing schemer, the way Starbuck did!"
Colonel Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 12:27 AM   #35
Senmut
Strike Leader

Okay, ya want The Star of Kobol, or a band-aid???
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM   #36
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut View Post
Okay, ya want The Star of Kobol, or a band-aid???
I am deeply honored.

But I must refuse.
Old May 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #37
LZaza
Warrior

Default Re: Concerning "The Man With Nine Lives"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Archon View Post
"No argument there," says Colonel Archon. "The raid on Umbra orphaned me too, just as it orphaned Starbuck. The main difference was that I didn't become this fumerello-puffing schemer, the way Starbuck did!"
There might be a therapist's couch available in Life Station, should you need it . . .
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2011, 01:46 AM   #38
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Default Not the Warrior you are used to?

If anyone could say he is all right, after what we have been through, then I would set him up for catharsis treatment.

If that is not the Warrior you are used to, then you are perfectly welcome to ask me, "Whatever happened to the joy of living to fight another day?"

Old May 30th, 2011, 06:44 AM   #39
LZaza
Warrior

Catharsis treatment, eh? Haven't heard that since the "Sum of All Parts" series. In these parts we'd rather have a drink in the OC.

"Fumarello puffing schemer" is not how I would characterize Starbuck, although there are certainly notable facets of those elements. However, every secton those character flaws were overshadowed by his heroism, devotion to his comrades, and his implicit skill. His character was all the more fascinating for the depth and dichotomy within the man.
Old June 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM   #40
Senmut
Strike Leader

Cold drinks, Zaz!
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #41
LZaza
Warrior

You pouring, Sen?
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #42
Senmut
Strike Leader

Well, I'm usually accused of being a drip, but okay.
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #43
LZaza
Warrior

A slow pour, then? Heh heh.
Old June 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #44
Senmut
Strike Leader

Of course.
Would M'Lady like extra cream?
Old May 30th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #45
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Uh, bar-man...

...some hot Caprican bean-mill, please?

My head feels like a solonite grenade just went off inside it.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:37 AM   #46
Senmut
Strike Leader

Tension headache, huh?
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:07 PM   #47
Benedict
Warrior

I gave the episode a rewatch tonight as some form of tribute to the late Lance LeGault. Overall it's a nice little episode. The latter episodes of Galactica almost seem the better of the series as they're more focused on certain aspects or elements. The characters are confined to the Fleet (as well I imagine them to be often, planets often being few and far between). Good to see Astaire in some element and the interplay between him and Benedict.

I like to think that one day Starbuck found out Chamaleon was his father.
Galactica-era fan fic: Battlestar Pacifica #2 Saga of a Battlestar

"We thought the opposite of war, was peace. But we found the opposite of war was slavery."
Benedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:40 PM   #48
Colonel Archon
Shuttle Pilot

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Re: BG-11: The Man With Nine Lives

In answer to the question of how many orphans ended up in the Colonial Service, I, Colonel Archon, can think of one right off--myself. Remember, though Starbuck was--and I'm just guessing here--probably a scant five yahrens or so older than me at the time, I was orphaned in the raid on Umbra too!

But I was a mere baby then; I'm YAHRENS older than that now.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:27 AM   #49
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I gave the episode a rewatch tonight as some form of tribute to the late Lance LeGault. Overall it's a nice little episode. The latter episodes of Galactica almost seem the better of the series as they're more focused on certain aspects or elements. The characters are confined to the Fleet (as well I imagine them to be often, planets often being few and far between). Good to see Astaire in some element and the interplay between him and Benedict.

I like to think that one day Starbuck found out Chamaleon was his father.
Watched that again honour of Lance LeGault too.
In many fan fiction stories Starbuck finds out the Chameleon is his father.
Also really enjoyed the interplay between Astaire and Benedict.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2021, 10:44 PM   #50
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I came across the first draft script version of this episode which was called "The Furlon" and noticed some interesting differences it it compared to the final version.

1-In the original episode, Athena and Sheba fly the shuttle that takes Apollo and Starbuck to the Rising Star and they also pilot the shuttle that takes them back. In the final episode this was changed so that it's Sheba and an unnamed female pilot who has just one line, "The Nomen did what?" (which was originally a line for Sheba) The fact they took away Athena's lines from this episode is a further insight into just how much Maren Jensen's role in the show was being diminished by this point.

2-Bojay was supposed to be in the episode too among those arriving on the Rising Star. Jack Stauffer I think later said he had another commitment and wasn't available after WOTG though there was always supposed to be an understanding he could come back later.

3-Also, the scene where Starbuck and Chameleon talk while the test is being given and Starbuck confesses that Cassie is the only woman he's considered getting sealed to is not present. And the scene where Chameleon tells Cassie she needs to lie about the test results being positive is very short and has none of the additional things that further underscore the fact that Starbuck and Cassie are more serious now (this may even explain why they felt they had to cut Athena out of the story entirely!). At any rate, I think this shows that the final draft of the script was much stronger than the earlier draft.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2021, 03:33 AM   #51
Rowdy Yates
Shuttle Pilot

Something interesting: not sure if anyone re-watched the series on the NBC site or app, but this episode was totally CUT? (Not sure why, but it's not even on the list?!)
Rowdy Yates is offline   Reply With Quote