Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old March 9th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #31
Antelope

Great job on the research ThomasBombadil! Thanks.
Old March 13th, 2004, 05:45 PM   #32
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Well whatever the source of inspiration for this episode my kids absolutely love it.
I'm beginning to like it more and more each time I see it.

Thanks for posting your analysis Antelope. I find myself looking and finding some
of the things you pointed out. It makes the ep more interesting to me.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #33
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

best boomer show with maren liked muffits saving the firefighter worst scince show FIRE IN SPACE SMOKING PLANT VAPORS good dr doing the country doc trick
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2004, 08:44 PM   #34
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Great job on the research ThomasBombadil! Thanks.
Any time!
Old May 1st, 2004, 12:23 PM   #35
Captain Morgan

I liked the episode,but...would someone please design some type of door for the
GALACTICA landing bays!
Old May 9th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #36
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Not sure that a door is what they need, but rather some kind of defensive shield or force field that would prevent an unauthorized craft from penetrating the area in front of the Landing Bay and making a suicide hit. Vipers and shuttles should have a security code of some kind to get through it (in the way that security codes were needed to get past the force field to Endor in Return Of The Jedi).

Wilker should forget about repairing Muffit and get to work on that!
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2004, 12:13 AM   #37
Senmut
Strike Leader

In one of the novelizations, TLL if I recall, it was stated that in the event of landing bay damage or fire, the atmospheric force field could be shut off, and the bay depressurized, snuffing any fire. Obviously, this wasn't done it FIS, and we must assume the reason was that the machinery was damaged to the point where the field could not be shut down the usual way. Tigh said that all communications were out on that side of the ship. We can assume that the blast cut alot of cable trunks, and damaged other mechanisms. I think most fans were smart enough to grasp this, though the critics obviously weren't.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #38
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan
I liked the episode,but...would someone please design some type of door for the
GALACTICA landing bays!

I have seen a door covering the Big G's landing bays in Steve W's wonderful renderings.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #39
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Yes, there are some serious continuity and effects issues with this episode, but no more so than a large number of other episodes.

The Sheba launching scene only bothers me a little. Apparently they were trying to get it into production too fast, and didn’t have time to shoot Sheba launching with a Galactica helmet, so they used stock from LL. I have always wondered why they just didn’t let her wear the Pegasus helmet for the episode. Her jacket still has the Pegasus patch on it.

The wires didn’t bother me too much either. What did was the shot they kept in which Starbuck’s sleeve rode up over his wrist, showing bare skin while they were outside the Galactica.

I hated the effects of the Boraton runs, but again, considering the technology of SFX in those days, its not bad for the time they had.

I think that the naming of their fire-fighting agent "Boraton" was rather enlightened, suggesting with it's shown use that not only does it have the properties of a fluorinated surfactant, but also a thermal component. Boreas is Latin for the cold north wind.

I always thought that there should have been some point-defense above the landing bay entrance, or at least to cover the rear approach better. That’s a real serious design flaw.

As for fires burning in the bays, I always figured that they were either plasma fires, or as suggested here, the atmospheric maintenance fields were malfunctioning and could not be disengaged (although if that were the case, why didn’t they shuttle fire crews to the entrance of the bay to fight it from both sides?).

For all of that, I think this is a pretty good episode, with a great deal of technical info for us gear-heads, and some great character interaction and development.

My 2P

Bill
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2004, 11:38 AM   #40
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

The Sheba helmet part I wasn't bothered by. In fact, when I did an adaptation of the episode I wrote a scene that had her still wearing the old helmet the first time out but then changing as she realized more the need to adapt to her new surroundings.

My biggest problem with the episode is (1) Muffit the super-daggit at episode's end and (2) after the charges are blown, why is there that rush of air surging over the people trapped inside the storage compartment? They're sealed inside, they shouldn't be hearing or feeling anything! And this raises the question of how did they get out since that means that the compartments on either side of them are open to the vaccum and they don't have pressure suits to get out. (These too were things I felt the need to fix).
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:24 PM   #41
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Missing scenes:

Repost from Sheba's galaxy

After Adama says, "Launch Blue Squadron", we go back to the Rejuvenation Center where a steady red light is seen, but everyone goes about their business except Athena, Boxey, Boomer, and Muffit, who stand listening to the sound of the last Viper being launched. When it's gone, the red lights go off and normal lighting comes up. Boxey: "I sure hope Dad will be okay." Boomer: "Your dad knows how to take care of himself. Rack 'em up, Boxey." (Boxey places a round rack on the table and starts putting balls into it during: Athena: "Besides, so far it's just an alert."

In the very next scene, we see VIPERS FLYING FORMATION - VIPER COCKPITS - ON APOLLO, STARBUCK, AND SHEBA - INTERCUT as they react to what they see ahead of them: Sheba: "This is going to be like shooting pisces in a container." Starbuck: "And the container is overflowing." Apollo: "Galactica bridge, we have a problem." APOLLO'S POINT OF VIEW - Cylon fighters as far as the eye can see.

When the siren in the Rejuvenation Center wails, Boomer yells, "Major attack force! They'll need me!"

In the very next scene, we see FOUR VIPERS - APOLLO, STARBUCK, SHEBA, AND JOLLY rocketing to meet the Cylon attackers. APOLLO'S COCKPIT - INTERCUT as he watches his scanner. Apollo: "Here comes company... a lot more than we usually get." CYLON FIGHTERS coming on fast. VIPER COCKPITS - APOLLO, STARBUCK, AND SHEBA - INTERCUT - Starbuck: "What kind of welcome we gonna give give 'em?" Sheba: "There's more than one kind? Let's get them!" Apollo: "No! Divert 'em. Keep 'em away from the Galactica until the other squadrons get there. I'm gonna monitor their frequency and see what they're up to." He switches frequencies. THE FOUR VIPERS bank away in a high G-turn. CYLON FIGHTERS boring in... lots of them! CYLON COCKPIT - Centurion: "Ignore the Colonial Vipers. Our mission is to crash directly into the Galactica." VIPER COCKPITS - APOLLO, STARBUCK, AND SHEBA - INTERCUT - Starbuck: "Hey, they're not changing course!" Sheba: "They act like they don't even see us." Apollo switches back to combat frequency. Apollo: (realizing) "They don't want us! They're gonna crash into the Galactica!" GALACTICA BRIDGE - Adama and Tigh react as they hear. Apollo's Voice: (from radio) "Let's go! And for Sagan's sake, don't miss any!" THE FOUR VIPERS pull a high-G turn, drop in behind the Cylon fighters. STARBUCK'S COCKPIT - Lining up a Cylon fighter. Starbuck fires. The Cylon fighter explodes in a ball of flame. Starbuck: "Now you see it... now you don't." Apollo: (from radio) "Less talk and more work! We haven't made a dent in them yet!" LIFE CENTER - CASSIOPEA AND DR. SALIK as she finishes checking supplies and equipment. Other medical personnel move about their tasks in b.g. Cassiopea: (upset) "We're prepared to receive casualties, Doctor. Everything is ready." Salik: (sighs) "God willing, we won't have to use any of it. (beat) But I know from experience, that's too much to hope for." Cassiopea quickly turns away. Salik gently takes her by the shoulders and turns her around. Tears are streaming down her cheeks. Salik: (gently) "Cassiopea..." Cassiopea: "It's the waiting... I hate the waiting. It gives me time to think... How many?... Who?... (beat) I'm sorry." Salik: (gently) "No. Don't apologize. I cry too... when it's over... and I'm alone." She clutches him, burying her face in his shoulder.

When Starbuck, Apollo, and Sheba are about to launch, and Apollo says "When you pull up after your run, watch it or the increased G0factor will slam you right into the hull", Starbuck answers, "Sheba maybe, but not me." Apollo: "Starbuck, this is every bit as dangerous as flying against the Cylons." Starbuck: "That easy, eh? (looking out) Looks like we're all loaded."

When Boomer asks Athena how one of the injured is doing and she says, "Not good. Neither are the rest of us", Boomer turns, looks across the compartment. Boomer: "Maybe we could all learn something from him." THEIR POINT OF VIEW - Boxey, sitting on a container, his eyes glued to the open vent. Boomer: (o.s.) "There's no doubt in his mind that any minute Muffit is gonna show up leading a battalion of fire fighters." Hold on Boxey for a beat.

When Tigh attaches the bag of life masks to Muffit for him to take back to Boomer and the others, Tigh says, "Muffit's programming includes the ability to retrace his steps."

This is the alternate ending that the writers originally wanted but the network overruled because they felt it would have been two repetitive to have the Cylons attack twice. After Tigh says to Apollo, "If I had a choice, I'd say no," we hear Sheba's Voice: (from the radio) "Colonel..." SHEBA'S COCKPIT - INTERCUT - SHEBA watching the swarm of trianglular blips appear on her scanner. Sheba: "...Cylon fighters. Looks like another major attack force." EXT. HULL - Apollo and Starbuck react. Apollo: "Colonel, we sure could use some protection!" STARFIELD - The seemingly endless formation of Cylon fighters comes into view. THE BRIDGE - Red alert is on. The red lights are on, the klaxon blares. Tigh: (into radio) "Sheba, you'll fly close cover for Apollo and Starbuck. They're gonna need it... especially if it's another suicide run." SHEBA'S COCKPIT - Sheba: "Yes, sir." Tigh's Voice: (from radio) "Giles, you're leading Blue and Red Squadrons now." Giles: "Yes, sir." VIPERS IN FORMATION Sheba's Viper banks into a dive as the rest rocket ahead. STARFIELD as the Vipers, turbolasers blazing, engage the Cylons! OPERATING ROOM - Everyone is frozen, looking upward. Over the sounds of the anesthetic and the monitors, the muffled blaring of the klaxon is heard. Cassiopea: (without emotion) "Cylons." Salik: "Right now, they're not as dangerous as that generator. We're ready to open the heart wall. (beat, then holds out his hand) Finite micro laser." Cassiopea takes the small laser from the tray, slaps it into Salik's hand. He looks up at the light for a beat as though willing it not to dim. Then he takes a breath and bends to Adama's exposed heart! THE BRIDGE - The klaxon stops as the red lights remain on. Omega: "Red alert in force, sir. Standby squadrons ready to launch." Tigh: "Launch."

STARBOARD LAUNCHING TUBE - One after the other, the Vipers rocket through it. EXT. HULL - APOLLO AND STARBUCK working feverishly as Sheba's Viper streaks into view. INT. SHEBA'S COKPIT - Sheba: "Get inside as fast as you can, fellas. You look awfully vulnerable from up here." Apollo: "Come on, Starbuck! Hurry!" CORRIDOR OUTSIDE GENERATOR #2 COMPARTMENT - The four fire fighters are being pushed back by the advancing flames as the seal around the compartment door is beginning to smoke and fall away in pieces. STORAGE COMPARTMENT - BOXEY AND BOOMER as Boxey still watches the vent. Boomer puts his arm around the boy. INT. AIR DUCT - MUFFIT races through the flames whipping in through a vent and continues heading back toward the storage compartment with the precious life masks. CORRIDOR OUSIDE SOLIUM STORAGE COMPARTMENT - A bulkhead door is labeled: "DANGER, SOLIUM. NO SMOKING." Four different fire fighters train hoses on a smouldering door at the end of the corridor. Suddenly the door blows in and roaring flames boil through it. The men retreat slowly step by step only as the heat becomes too intense. STARFIELD - VIPERS AND CYLON FIGHTERS engaged in a huge battle! Outnumbered, the Vipers can't prevent the Cylons from progressing toward the Galactica. INT. GILES' COCKPIT - INTERCUT - GILES as he lines up a Cylon in his sights and blasts him into twinkling space dust! Giles: "There's too many! We can't stop them all from getting through!" CYLON COCKPIT - THREE CENTURIONS - Centurion: "Observe the Galactica." THEIR POINT OF VIEW - In the distance, the Galactica can clearly be seen burning. Centurion: (o.s.) "Three centons to infinity coordinates. Prepare laser fire to insure success." From the direction of the Galactica, the other two Viper squadrons rocket into view, coming straight on. GILES COCKPIT as he blows another Cylon to bits. Giles: "Here come our other squadrons! Now we got'em by their ion tails!" DOOR TO SOLIUM STORAGE - It's melting!
Old May 13th, 2004, 12:26 PM   #42
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

OPERATING ROOM - ALL - As Adama lies anesthetized, Salik works intently, the others assisting. Salik: "Another few centons is all we need." THE BRIDGE - TIGH AND OMEGA watching the rising temperature gauges. Tigh: (into radio) "Hurry, Apollo! An extra micron could make the difference!" EXT. HULL - APOLLO AND STARBUCK - They've finished setting the charges. Apollo: (into radio) "That's it, Colonel. We're heading for the detonator!" They start to move off. INT. STORAGE COMPARTMENT - Boxey and Boomer at the open vent. Athena joins them. All three are perspiring heavily and coughing. They share a life mask with Boxey getting the most. Boxey: "We're waiting for Muffit, Athena. He won't let us down." She embraces him. She looks toward one of the doors. HER POINT OF VIEW - The seal is smoking and beginning to fall away. INT. AIR DUCT - MUFFIT runnng, pulling his precious cargo of life masks. EXT. HULL - APOLLO AND STARBUCK - SLOW MOTION - Making their way toward the detonator at the hatch, they approach one of the charges they set earlier. A blue laser beam slices the void, striking close to the nearby charge, sending up a shower of sparks! They turn and look! THEIR POINT OF VIEW - A Cylon fighter, lasers blazing, boring right in! SHEBA'S COCKPIT - Apollo: (from radio) "Sheba! He's coming in fast!" She follows the attacking Cylon, lines it up and blows it up in a dazzling explosion! Sheba: "Not faster than me!" ANOTHER CYLON FIGHTER boring in for the kill. EXT. HULL - CLOSE ON APOLLO AND STARBUCK as they reach the small push-button detonator. Apollo picks it up, ready to fire when: Sheba's Voice: (from radio) "Another Cylon coming, Apollo! I can't line him up!" Apollo and Starbuck look up. SHEBA'S COCKPIT - Ahead of her, a Cylon fighter weaves back and forth as it heads for the Galactica. Sheba is firing near-misses. CYLON COCKPIT illuminated by flashes of the near-misses. Centurion: "Prepare for oblivion." EXT. HULL - CLOSE ON APOLLO AND STARBUCK as they watch the Cylon fighter approach. Sheba's Voice: (from radio) "He's gonna ram!" Starbuck: "Maybe you can get him with the explosion!" Apollo: "If I time it just right. (into radio) Break off, Sheba. That's an order." SHEBA'S COCKPIT - INTERCUT - Sheba: "All right, Captain. I hope you know what you're doing." She pulls up and away from the weaving Cylon fighter.

STORAGE COMPARTMENT - Everyone waiting for the end. The coughing is continuous as the few life masks are passed around. ANGLE - BOXEY, ATHENA, AND BOOMER - Between coughing, we hear a faint barking. Boxey is the only one who hears it. He looks up, alert. Boxey: "Muffit! I hear Muffit!" Another bark, closer! Athena and Boomer hear it now!" ANGLE - THE VENT as Muffit appears, sits and barks! Boxey hugs him happily. ANGLE - ALL - The group looks, begins to come to life. Muffit runs out and the life-mask conainers trail out after. Boomer: "Life masks! Pass them around!" The people eagerly take the containers. Boxey starts putting one on the critically inured young crewman. Boomer opens the metal box on Muffit's collar, extracts the note during: Athena: "They'll save us from the smoke but not from the fire." ANGLE ON THE DOORS - Small flames beginning to spurt in! EXT. HULL - APOLLO AND STARBUCK as they wait, Apollo's hand on the detonator. The tension is almost unbearable! Apollo: "Another few microns...." CYLON COCKPIT - The Galactica rushing up! STORAGE COMPARTMENT - Some have life masks on, others are donning them. Boomer is reading the note. He reacts! Boomer: (urgently) "Put 'em on and take cover! They're gonna blow the hull!" The rest quickly put theirs on. Athena checks Boxey's. Everyone tries to find some cover from the explosion. OPERATING ROOM - Salik slowly straightens up, looks wearily at the others for a beat, then: Salik: "It's all over. (beat) He'll be okay." Evrerybody breaks into happy grins. THE BRIDGE - Tigh: (into radio) "Apollo, we're out of time!" DOOR TO GENERATOR COMPARTMENT blows in in a rush of flame! DOOR TO SOLIUM STORAGE blows in in a rush of flame! EXT. HULL - APOLLO AND STARBUCK watching the approaching Cylon! Apollo: "Now!" He presses the detonator button! GALACTICA AND CYLON FIGHTER - The first explosion blows the Cylon fighter to atoms! Another charge explodes almost immediately. CORRIDOR OUTSIDE THE GENERATOR ROOM - A huge explosion further down the corridor and the flames die. CORRIDOR OUTSIDE SOLIUM STORAGE - An explosion in an adjacent corridor and the flames die. STORAGE COMPARTMENT - Everyone covers their heads as an explosion rocks them. (Note: If possible, show smoke running out around seal of door by reversing film). INT. BURNING PORT LANDING BAY - A huge explosion and the flames die. GALACTICA - From space, we see the gaping hole and watch the flames die.

SHEBA'S COCKPIT - Sheba: "Couldn't have done better myself, Captain! THE BRIDGE - TIGH - In b.g., Omega and other crewman happily thump each other on the back as they watch the temperature gauges. Tigh: (into radio) "You did it, Apollo! You and Starbuck did it!" No response. Tigh is alarmed. Tigh: "Apollo!... Starbuck!..." EXT. HULL - APOLLO AND STARBUCK - Their adrenaline has stopped pumping. Apollo sags, thinking of what has happened to his family. Tigh's Voice: (from radio) "...Are you all right?" Starbuck: "We're in one piece, Colonel. (looking at Apollo) Any word on Apollo's family?" Tigh: "Yes, His father wants to see him." Both Apollo and Starbuck brighten. FADE OUT - END OF ACT FOUR - FADE IN - LIFE CENTER short time later. Adama, fully awake, is in a life pod. Apollo arrives. They look at each other with mixed emotions... each grateful that the other has survived, yet sharing the grief of what they believe to be a horrible loss. Apollo: (choked) "Father, Athena and Boxey..." Adama: (interrupting) "I know. I wish it had been me, instead." Athena's Voice: "We're glad it wasn't anyone." ANGLE - INCLUDING ATHENA AND BOXEY - Apollo and Adama can't believe their eyes! Spechless, Apollo embraces both of them as Adama gazes up at them. Adama: (to himself) "Dear God, thank you." ANGLE - SALIK AND INJURED CREWMAN - Salik examines the badly injured young crewman as other survivors are being attended to in the b.g. Salik: "You're gonna be okay, son. But if someone hadn't given you constant care, you wouldn't be here now." ANGLE - CASSIOPEA AND BOOMER as she treats his burned hand. Cassiopea: "I heard that if it wasn't for you, no one would've made it." Boomer: "I just did what had to be done." Starbuck enters the shot. Starbuck: "Don't be so modest, Boomer. When you're a hero, you gotta act like it. Take me blowing the hull for instance." Boomer gives Cassiopea a conspiratorial look. They both smile. Boomer: "Blowing the hull? Couldn't be as tough as hot-linking a sealed bulkhead door. Do you know anything about hovermobiles?" Starbuck looks at him, puzzled, then: Starbuck: "Just that the only thing easier to hot-link is a sealed bulkhead door." Apollo grins. Boomer does too. ANGLE - ADAMA, APOLLO, ATHENA, AND BOXEY - As Boxey disengages from his father's embrace, he looks at the tears in Apollo's eyes. Boxey: "Why are you crying, Dad?" Apollo: "I... I guess I got smoke in my eyes." Boxeylooks in on Adama's tear-streaked face. Boxey: "You got smoke in your eyes, too, Grandpa?" Adama: (smiling) "No, Boxey. (beat) I'm crying because in my entire life, I've never been as happy as I am at this moment." Boxey grins. He understands. THE END
Old September 20th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #43
BRG
Warrior

Muffit ****

One of my favorites. 4 out of 5!

Indeed, this was like a cheesy 70's disaster movie, but BRG loves chessy 70's disaster movies! Towering Inferno and The Posidon Adventure being two of my all time favorite films. So I really enjoyed this episode.

This episode gave the supporting cast a chance too shine. And I recon this is Boomer, Athena & Salik's best episode. And with Adama in the Life Station, it gave Tigh & Omeaga a chance to command the bridge, also giving those two characters a memorable show. But for me, Boomer was the star here.

The only drawback in this episode was the SFX. I think the spacewalk scene was the worst looking effect I've seen on the show. It hs aged badly, the actors look uncomfortable, and as many have pointed out, Starbuck's bare arm is clearly visible in some shots. Poor.

But, overall a great episode. And I loved the final scene when a tearfull Apollo thanks Boomer for saving his son and his sister. A very emotional scene played beautifully by the actors. And very rare for two male leads of an action series from that time to show such emotion. 20 years ahead of its time!
BRG
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #44
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

"The only drawback in this episode was the SFX. I think the spacewalk scene was the worst looking effect I've seen on the show."

I watched the episode again last night, and it suddenly occurs to me that the remastering of the episodes for DVD inevitably weakens a scene like this because for the first time I could really see all the wires holding Richard and Dirk up that in earlier incarnations appeared to be better hidden by the less detail of broadcast and VHS prints.

OTOH, the remastering did help me better appreciate the background look in the spacewalk scene because what may have first seemed like stars moving by in the background almost gave me the impression of vipers on patrol (to handle the deep scan) flying in the background.
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:26 PM   #45
gmd3d
Major

yes this is one of my favorites also

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #46
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
"The only drawback in this episode was the SFX. I think the spacewalk scene was the worst looking effect I've seen on the show."

I watched the episode again last night, and it suddenly occurs to me that the remastering of the episodes for DVD inevitably weakens a scene like this because for the first time I could really see all the wires holding Richard and Dirk up that in earlier incarnations appeared to be better hidden by the less detail of broadcast and VHS prints.

OTOH, the remastering did help me better appreciate the background look in the spacewalk scene because what may have first seemed like stars moving by in the background almost gave me the impression of vipers on patrol (to handle the deep scan) flying in the background.

Where was Baltar in the episode? Who ordered the attack?
Old November 24th, 2004, 03:41 PM   #47
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Where was Baltar in the episode? Who ordered the attack?
Baltar doesn't appear in the episode. We just see the incoming fighter attack at the beginning and then after the two suicide hits, no further sign of the Cylons.

It is easy to assume of course that Baltar ordered the attack. Here I present my take on the order of things (to fill in the gaps so to speak) that I've done in my adaptation.

This story takes place very soon after the events of LL, probably just a matter of days (at least long enough for Sheba to get out of the Life Station). Baltar is staggering from many losses so he decides on this gambit of loading what remaining fighters he has with solonite (to make them more lethal in suicide hits) for his last best hope of destroyinig the Galactica.

But after this attack we see at episode's beginning, there can be nothing further because in effect Baltar has run out of fighters to make a new attack possible, and he has no time to take on new reinforcements if he's to follow the Galactica still (this would explain why in WOTG, he seems to lack the capability to launch an assault on the Galactica and also explains why there's no danger of a massive strike to try and rescue Baltar after he's taken prisoner).

That's my take at least. Any others?
Old November 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #48
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Since it was a suicide mission, fuel for returning to the basestar wasn't a consideration. Baltar's basestar may have been so far behind that he couldn't launch a follow-up attack without losing his entire compliment of fighters.

Of course, all this would depend on how many replacements were available to him from those who survived Gamoray, and how long he was delayed in pursuing Galactica in resolving the Imperious Leader's situation.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 04:08 PM   #49
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Of course, all this would depend on how many replacements were available to him from those who survived Gamoray, and how long he was delayed in pursuing Galactica in resolving the Imperious Leader's situation.
A good point to raise since you have to wonder how precarious Baltar's situation with the Imperious Leader had to be at the end of LL. Baltar may have even taken his ship away from the outer capitol quickly so as to avoid having to talk to him, or he may have gotten off the hook by blaming the debacle on the Gomorrah (I'm too locked into that spelling! ) base commander who obviously kept the knowledge of the Pegasus' continued survival for two whole yahrens to himself.
Old November 24th, 2004, 04:29 PM   #50
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Oh, if he survived the attack the commander on Gamoray would have been disassembled for spare parts. Whether or not the Imperious Leader knew Baltar was in the area.

In fact, I'd rather suspect that Baltar would be in high dudgeon over that worthy's failure to communicate anything about the Pegasus. It might be a situation to ingratiate himself even further into the Imperious Leader's good graces. Which might even delay him further, but it would insure his basestar gets repaired and he gets a full compliment of fighters to continue the pursuit of Galactica.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:37 PM   #51
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

In actuallity the second wave was going to attack as Starbuck and Apollo placed the charges on the hull. We would have seen Vipers and Raiders going at it if the network didn't order it shelved. This was to be a two hour episode.
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:10 PM   #52
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
In fact, I'd rather suspect that Baltar would be in high dudgeon over that worthy's failure to communicate anything about the Pegasus. It might be a situation to ingratiate himself even further into the Imperious Leader's good graces.
Possible, but I see the base commander's incompetence more as Baltar's reprieve since he would have to explain the failure that caused the loss of two basestars while he fell back in the engagement of the Pegasus (and which would mean he could not be able to confirm its destruction).
Old November 24th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #53
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
In actuallity the second wave was going to attack as Starbuck and Apollo placed the charges on the hull. We would have seen Vipers and Raiders going at it if the network didn't order it shelved. This was to be a two hour episode.
You're right about that script point, though I'm not sure whether that would have padded the episode to two parts. A second attack during that sequence would have been infinitely preferrable to the exploits of Muffit the Wonder Daggit that we got instead!

Earlier comments have been made about Starbuck's unprotected wrists being visible during the EVA. Consider the fact that when the charges are blown, we see things flying about inside the storage compartment, which means that Boomer and everyone would thus be exposed to the vacuum and should theoretically need more than just oxygen masks for protection! The proper way to show them at the time of explosion was just a loud sound outside of the pressure escaping but it shouldn't have caused all that blowing of things over them (and the compartments outside the storage compartment should have been repressurized before they could be removed safely!)
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #54
Senmut
Strike Leader

When the fighters from the destroyed BaseShips reach Baltar, he'll have more fighters than he can land, so for the moment, there will be no shortage. Doubtless, he landed and refueled them in groups, so he would have a full hangar deck, plus more flying escort. Whether IL's BaseShip joined up with him, we do not know, but once Gamoray was destroyed and raided, doubtless BaseShips from adjascent sectors would rush to the area, to pursue the Fleet, and/or look for the Pegasus. The extra Raiders could have been divied up between them.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #55
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senmut
When the fighters from the destroyed BaseShips reach Baltar, he'll have more fighters than he can land, so for the moment, there will be no shortage.
Well, we do know in LL that a lot of fighters get destroyed so there's certainly not full-strength capacity of three baseships fighters left by the time of FIS, and I also would question the idea of other baseships able to join up, because in WOTG, Baltar's ship is quite alone by then.

I see the other baseships rushing in and then getting split up on a wide perimeter (where one is run into in HOG) only after the events of WOTG when for reasons that can be speculated on in that thread, the trail becomes cold for the Cylons.
Old November 24th, 2004, 10:48 PM   #56
Senmut
Strike Leader

Exactly. After the kamikaze attack failes, they split up. Good point.
Old November 25th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #57
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
You're right about that script point, though I'm not sure whether that would have padded the episode to two parts. A second attack during that sequence would have been infinitely preferrable to the exploits of Muffit the Wonder Daggit that we got instead!

Earlier comments have been made about Starbuck's unprotected wrists being visible during the EVA. Consider the fact that when the charges are blown, we see things flying about inside the storage compartment, which means that Boomer and everyone would thus be exposed to the vacuum and should theoretically need more than just oxygen masks for protection! The proper way to show them at the time of explosion was just a loud sound outside of the pressure escaping but it shouldn't have caused all that blowing of things over them (and the compartments outside the storage compartment should have been repressurized before they could be removed safely!)

FIS Original Concept:

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Battlesta...?showtopic=692
Old December 17th, 2004, 11:43 AM   #58
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default 26 Years Ago Today: Fire in Space

Fire In Space

Original Airdate: December 17, 1978

Writers: Jim Carlson and Terrence McDonnell.

Director: Christian I Nyby II.

Guest Cast: William Bryant (Fireleader), Jeff MacKay (Crewman).

The Cylons launch a kamikaze attack on the Galactica causing devastating damage to the bridge and a raging fire. Apollo and Starbuck place charges on the hull hoping that the resulting explosion will expose the fire to the vacuum of space and smother it.

Fire in Space created several amusing moments for animal trainer Boone Narr. Attempting to reach help, Muffet (played by Evie the Chimp) crawls through a series of ventilation ducts on the Galactica. “We had this elevator scene,” recalls Narr, “and it fills up with smoke. We opened the doors and all that was left in there were her shoes.” He laughs, “the effects guys put a little too much pressure on the smoke, so it made a real loud hissing sound. When we opened the doors up and the smoke cleared, she was up in the rafters.”

Yet another challenge for the production team was the episode's finale, which required Apollo and Starbuck to go out on to the hull the Galactica and set explosive charges. Art director Richard James remembers, "It was one of our late Friday afternoon/evening production meetings. We went through that line – you know – our boys go out on the exterior of the Battlestar and plant bombs to snuff out the fire and they just continued on with the meeting. My hand shot up and I asked, 'where is the exterior of this ship? It’s vast.'”

Under tight budget and time constraints, James set out to create a hull set that would match the intricate surface detail established by the six-foot miniature of the Galactica used in filming the special effects. "I got an empty stage, painted the walls all black, did the floor like the surface of the ship, and painted it Battlestar grey. I did rivet runs all over everywhere and went out and found big hunks of machinery on the back lot.

I painted the machinery all the same grey and stuck it around on the stage so that it kind of looked like ducts to match the miniature as close as possible."

peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #59
julix
Bad Email Address

I loved this episode...lots of action...Boomer really got to be a hero and it is interesting hearing about how they made the exterior of the galactica!!!!

Ohhhhh....I wish I could go back in time....
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 12:21 PM   #60
Senmut
Strike Leader

And Athena really got to shine in this one. If only the NitWerk suits could have quit meddling.