Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 13th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #1
Fragmentary

Muffit Evangelion. Any takers?

Hey all,
I've noticed some people mentioning being fans of anime, especially Thomas. I'm not a die hard on the genre, except for a little show called Neon Genesis Evangelion. That show kicks much ass. It so awesome that it causes me physical pain. Must reach... meds....

And I figured it might be something that others on this board are into considering some of the similarities it has with Galactica. Both shows use a LOT of religious symbolism and of course both deal with humanity surviving an onslaught from the heavens.

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if there are any others down with the EVA.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:59 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Saaaaannnkoko na senshi no yoooouuuuuni!

Shooounen no shinwaaaninaaaraaaaaaaah!

I think I've heard of it before!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:55 AM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'm not going to criticise anyone's taste in anime, but this one wasn't for me....

I did like some of the artwork and character design, but the story elements and the music somehow grated on me after only a small handful of episodes. I never finished watching the first 3 disks I rented from Netflix.

I did see some similarities between Evangelion and RahXephon though - which was the factor that drew me in. Out of the two, RahXephon captured my heart and Evangelion didn't.

Viva le difference!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2005, 07:14 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I wonder if that could be because of the dubbing? Did you watch it in english? Evangelion is the anime that changed the genre. It is the inspiration for RahXephon. At least it looks like that.

I really loved Eva. Though I didn't care much for the ending movies. Mostly cause they KILLED EVERYONE and Shinji disgusted me. He had collapsed into being a complete whining crybaby at that point. And what he did at Atsuka's bedside was the last straw with me.

But the series itself was very good. It was pretty innovative. Wildy irreverent of convention. I liked the character's alot. Including Shinji through the bulk of the show. Though I woulda prefered a few less trips on the psycho exploration train! HA!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:19 AM   #5
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
I wonder if that could be because of the dubbing? Did you watch it in english? Evangelion is the anime that changed the genre. It is the inspiration for RahXephon. At least it looks like that.

I really loved Eva. Though I didn't care much for the ending movies. Mostly cause they KILLED EVERYONE and Shinji disgusted me. He had collapsed into being a complete whining crybaby at that point. And what he did at Atsuka's bedside was the last straw with me.

But the series itself was very good. It was pretty innovative. Wildy irreverent of convention. I liked the character's alot. Including Shinji through the bulk of the show. Though I woulda prefered a few less trips on the psycho exploration train! HA!
Yeah, Shinji is quite the piece of work. But that's part of what I like about the show. There is NO way an american production would write a kid that way. And in this series, Shinji never becomes wise or adult in the usual TV way. He's a screwed up 13 year old kid and that's how he stays. Its frustrating, infuriating, but also painfully realistic.
Old January 19th, 2005, 11:19 AM   #6
Agelastus
Warrior

The TV series' original ending is superior to the movie though.

I've never before come across a series where the first time I viewed an ending, I thought the world had been destroyed, the second time I watched it I thought it had been saved, and the third time I watched it I just wasn't sure at all.

The "movie" ending wasn't bad until he got to the section "in the mind" which included the live action shots. It was nowhere near as well done as the original series ending's exploration of the concept.

I will say one thing for Evangelion though. It seems to have attracted a higher percentage of decent fan-fiction writers than most others. Maybe because the ending is almost universally derided amongst fandom that they think they can do better.
Old February 4th, 2005, 04:53 AM   #7
sihirvyth2

This is still one of my favorite anime series of all time.

I just hope the live action movie that is in development will make it to the big screen and not suck. With WETA lined up to do the special effects, though, it should at least look cool.

It will be interesting what actors they cast for it!
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:15 AM   #8
RommieSG
Bad Email Address

This is a wonderful series, and I'm so glad that ADV was able to acquire the Renewal rights, and release it here in their Platinum Edition release. It really takes you back. If you haven't seen Evangelion in a while, I wholly recommend the Platinum Edition.

Rommie
RommieSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #9
Alaric
Bad Email Address

While I love Evangelion, something about the show kept me from becoming enthralled with it. I liked the development of the characters, but certain elements of the story left me unsatisfied. The religious elements held more shock value than anything else when I watched it first, but it's definately not just there for flash, but a relevant part of the story.

My final opinion of Evangelion is that it is an excellent series, but has just enough detracting elements to keep me from tatooing it on my forehead.
Alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM   #10
jonahlee
Warrior

I enjoyed the series quite a bit, and the movie as well, though Shinji isn't my favorite anime character by far. The end of this series really hurts my head. I enjoyed Rah Xephon as well, which is similiar.

I am wondering about the live action movie though. On one hand WETA is doing the effects, so the effects will look great, but an American cast in Evangelion really scares me.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:33 AM   #11
Fragmentary

Hey Jonah,
Just noticed your sig. Are you a big fan of Gilliam? Brazil? Both? I really like his work, and Brazil is by far my favorite.
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM   #12
jonahlee
Warrior

Yea, Gilliam is one of my alltime top directors. I go into laserdiscs becasue of him and his commentaries, and I think it is a tragedy that none of his old commentaries and special editions will ever make it to DVD. I am talking THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN and FISHER KING, which are the best laserdiscs ever. Gilliam can do no wrong for me. I love him. I can't wait to see BROTHER'S GRIM.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote