Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 1st, 2004, 11:18 AM   #1
Count Iblis
Shuttle Pilot

Default Mr. Moore's Latest Comments?

Sorry everyone, I'm not trying to "Fan The Flames" here, but one of problems that I feel has started so much "Hostility" is perhaps found in one of "Mr. Moore's" own quotes in a recent fan interview I read

Interviewer - "Mr Moore, You are aware of some of the type of hostility on many of the fan realted internet sites concerning the new series"?

Mr. Moore - "Nawwwwww....Really, I am shocked, shocked to find gambling is going on in this establishment" (Quote from Casa Blanca)

Interviewer - " How would you advise new series fans to respond to the questions and concerns from those TOS fans that voice them?"

Mr. Moore - "Who cares what they think?"

You know, there in could be the very reason that we seem to have so much discontent and bashing on both sides of the issue. "Who Cares What They Think?" speaks in volumes of the lack of consideration given from day one to include and bridge old ideas with new so "Most" fans could embrace the "Battlestar Galactica".

I don't think any TOS fan would say that it was realistic to expect everything to stay the same in the new production. That would not be possible, or "Marketable" in todays TV industry. However, basic good original ideas/concepts/established characters did not have to be changed to have a possible hit show.

I heard an interview on another occasion where Mr. Moore was commenting about how he wished he had more imput into "Voyager" and how differently that show would have been under his direction. I think R.M. took the opportunity with this new "Re-imagined" production to "Create/Add Artistry" in ways he was denied over at "Paramount/Viacom".

Unfortunately, we now have what we have, and I guess we will "ALL" have to make the best of what could have been handled much better, and should have included a "We care what TOS fans think" attitude. I believe that if the current producer and his associates would have made every effort to "Bridge Fandom" from the get go, we would have much less to complain about on either side of the issue.

Count Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 11:38 AM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

That sums it up perfectly. "Who cares what they think?" will lead directly to a response of "who cares what he says/ does/ writes/ shows?" Doesn't take a rocket scientinst for that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Iblis
Sorry everyone, I'm not trying to "Fan The Flames" here, but one of problems that I feel has started so much "Hostility" is perhaps found in one of "Mr. Moore's" own quotes in a recent fan interview I read

Interviewer - "Mr Moore, You are aware of some of the type of hostility on many of the fan realted internet sites concerning the new series"?

Mr. Moore - "Nawwwwww....Really, I am shocked, shocked to find gambling is going on in this establishment" (Quote from Casa Blanca)

Interviewer - " How would you advise new series fans to respond to the questions and concerns from those TOS fans that voice them?"

Mr. Moore - "Who cares what they think?"

You know, there in could be the very reason that we seem to have so much discontent and bashing on both sides of the issue. "Who Cares What They Think?" speaks in volumes of the lack of consideration given from day one to include and bridge old ideas with new so "Most" fans could embrace the "Battlestar Galactica".

I don't think any TOS fan would say that it was realistic to expect everything to stay the same in the new production. That would not be possible, or "Marketable" in todays TV industry. However, basic good original ideas/concepts/established characters did not have to be changed to have a possible hit show.

I heard an interview on another occasion where Mr. Moore was commenting about how he wished he had more imput into "Voyager" and how differently that show would have been under his direction. I think R.M. took the opportunity with this new "Re-imagined" production to "Create/Add Artistry" in ways he was denied over at "Paramount/Viacom".

Unfortunately, we now have what we have, and I guess we will "ALL" have to make the best of what could have been handled much better, and should have included a "We care what TOS fans think" attitude. I believe that if the current producer and his associates would have made every effort to "Bridge Fandom" from the get go, we would have much less to complain about on either side of the issue.

Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 11:41 AM   #3
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Cout Iblis -

That was a pretty good assesment of what Ron Moore said and I agree with your conclusions as well. I'm sure that if he showed even the slightest bit of consideration for fans of TOS in a positive vein, he might get more support even if he was determined to make the miniseries project quite different from the original. I keep thinking about the "popcorn" statement he made a while back. I wonder what modern filmmaking would be like today if people like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg hadn't gone to such lenghts to bring "popcorn films" back to the cinema. They were trying to revive a style of filmmaking that had almost vanished at the time. Because of films like Star Wars & Close Encounters of the Third Kind, there was a renewed interest in making Sci Fi films - that interest also got us TV shows such as Battlestar Galactica.

I still like those films and always have - I guess that part of me has never grown up, but if I want to see a heavy drama, comedy, or a cop film, that's the film I see. I don't expect one show or film to deliver the entire spectrum to be entertaining. I know it's all about money and I know that as a writer that Mr. Moore wants to break out and do something different - he was doing that quite well over at HBO withCarnivale. I don't see many shows that even come close to that one and like it or not, he did have something to do with that. I was so confused when he dropped out of that show which was showing a lot of promise to do a Sci Fi show - something he complains has been done to death. To each his own, I guess...

By the way - I noticed that you're " local yokel" living in Sacramento - it's nice to see that there are other BSG fans here at Fleets right in my backyard. Welcome to Fleets - I hope you enjoy it here!

Best to you,
Bryan
________
Cosmetic Surgery Advice
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

IMHO, writers have an unenviable position of taking a known property and deciding whether to continue it, update it, or remake it. Some fans of the original "The Fly" or "The Thing" didn't like the remake, but sometimes the remakes (revisions) made more sense and , and some people say superior to the original. The Fly became a "Chimera" instead of just changing body parts (of obvious different sizes) and the Thing followed the book more closely and wasn't a monster picture. Peter Jackson is going to remake King Kong, which has been remade who knows how many times now. Will his vision hold up as well as the original? The movie goers will decide that issue.

I remember Rod Sterling making the following statement (from Rod Sterling's site):

and many writers believe in what he said is true and decide to follow their own path and vision regardless of the pressures or influences of the day. Whether or not the fans and/or viewers will accept and embrace the new version is always a gamble. Not everybody will be satisfied.

Back to your regular programming....
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2004, 12:27 PM   #5
Count Iblis
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks Gemini 1999. It's nice to be here. There is (I Believe) an unfortunate trend in Hollywood these days by many of the newer/next generation Producers. Here's what I've seen.

Take an already established idea (Usually a Classic) disregard as much of the original concepts/ideas/characters and direction as possible. Add as much artistic vision/new direction as you think you can get away with, and then use the "Recognized" name to try and lure folks into your supposed "Remake". Here are some examples to consider.

Planet of the Apes (Tim Burton) surprising since he actually did "Batman" pretty well overall (In My Humble Opinion), War of the Worlds (Currently in production) Lost In Space (A few years back) and now the WB is doing the series. Of course the new "Battlestar Galactica" production also falls into this catagory. The sad part is why? It wasn't necessary to make so many "Drastic" changes in basic concepts/characters and direction to have a hit show. My example is the "Peace Conference" in TOS. It works just fine with new modernizing the scenes with new CGI etc. The "Armistice" concept was not a necessary change at all. Perhaps that's not the best example, but there are a lot more. When you talk about Character changes alone, this production goes way off the charts. My favorite two examples are "Tigh" who now is an Alcoholic and White. But wait......Boomer gets it even worse. He not only looses his color and his gender, but the right to be "Human" as well, as "It" is now a Cylon. Again I ask Why? Controversy to get everyone pumped seems to be the only reason I can see. I would have loved to see "Avery Brooks" read for the part of "Tigh" I think he could have been a strong character. I certainly would have left "Boomer" (Herbert Jefferson) type roll alone as well. Having the original tie in with Egypt/13th tribe was a nice way of explaining how there could be "Black" colonials in the storyline as well.

At least Gene Roddenberry/Rick Berman and "Paramount"/"Viacom" had the good sense to change the name of their new "Star Trek" production to "Star Trek The Next Generation" which allerted TOS fans that this new show was going to be based on some original concepts, but had new direction/characters, new designs and new concepts. They did an excellent job (Even if I don't care for Berman) of allowing TOS fans to adjust and consider the new "Star Trek" as a stand alone production while not ignoring some of the original things that began with TOS. I would have thought that RM would have learned from this?

I understand that you "Can't Please All The People All The Time" no matter what you do, but I can't honestly see where "Any" attempt was made at all in the new production. Throwing TOS fans a few bones to chew on making the new Galactica a floating museum with old Vipers/models etc. is not a serious effort in trying to bridge anything. If anything, that was an insult to many fans to several fans I have spoken to.

Did I like anything the new series did? Yep, there were some interesting touches and imagination involved, but don't call it "Battlestar Galactica" unless it's "Battlestar Galactica". Most of us know the difference between Tri-tip and Hamburger. Maybe "Colonial Wars" or some other related name for this new "Re-imagined" production would have been a better idea?

Again, this is just one viewpoint and I do RESPECT all opposite views concerning these issues. Not trying to rain on anybody's parade.
Count Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote