Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 27th, 2003, 10:40 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wink BSG DVDs Advertised on Hulk Movie

Just rented The Hulk on DVD and was surprised and happy to see a nice full several minute ad of the BSG DVD box set! At first I was afraid it was for the mini and felt a tinge of pain, but when I saw it was for the original I thought it was pretty neat. Hey, they're really taking the original seriously. Quite cool.

On the other hand, I think if anything exemplifies what the mini will most likely be like, The Hulk is it. Yes, it's loaded with special effects, but the movie relies on that alone to carry it. This movie is /so far/ from the real Hulk it isn't funny. Just like the mini, they have thrown the entire story, characters and plot out the window and instead replaced it with a bunch of junk. Hulk is not the Hulk. His baby son is. David Banner is reduced to an evil power crazed scientist, completely contrary to the original, willing to kill his son (twice). His stalker is nowhere to be found, and they overused those annoying split screen thingies in places where they made no sense at all. The only thing it was missing was rampant and gratuitous sex. As with most CGI, it looked like CGI, just as the old scifi movies that hand painted in effects on the film itself became obvious after a few flicks used it. I wish folks would use it more sparingly so it wouldn't get old so quickly.

Cheers,
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:42 AM   #2
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

In defense of the Hulk, I grew up reading the Marvel comics and watching the series.

With that said I believe they got the essence of the characters. While I dissagree with the gene splicing and crazy scientist backstory, they had all of the characters dead on. Only one I could say was a little off was Talbot because he did have decent streak in the comic and everything he did motivated against Baner was out of his love for betty.

Brian, Bruce's father in the comic, did try to kill bruce numerous times as a child and was imprisoned for the murder of his wife. She died while tring to protect Bruce. Years later Bruce was working on a reverse nutron bomb that would destroy buildings and equipment but only stun the people. Ross saw this as a sign of being a weakling, hence the hear on calling Bruce a milksop and not being good enough for Betty.

Brian was released from prison and claimed to have reformed and was placed in his son's custody. All these years Bruce had been been emotionally repressed, but when they visited the his mother's grave emotions ran wild and Brian tried to kill Bruce, yet again, and Bruce killed him in self defense, releasing all the repression and his hidden dark side after all these years. He then changed his research toward the destuctive Gamma Bomb.

All the events in the movie were in essence the same as the comic, just represented differently. Just a different story teller telling the tale.

The ONLY thing that dissapointed me was the absence of my favorite Hulk character, Rick Jones! The Hulk's TRUEST friend through it all.

Now the 70's series was an even BIGGER departure from the comic than the movie. NONE of the characters were in the series. Bruce was changed to David, the gamma research was replaced by human potetial research. However it was widely accepted by fans. Why? Because like the movie they Got the essence of the Hulk. They knew what he was and what made him great and a tragic character.

I look at the series as an alternate universe, and will always look back in fond memories.

From your post Muffit it sounds like you have only seen the series. If this is tru, you are missing out on a wonderful experience in the comic. Its current incarnation has been a real treat. Try picking up the paperback reprints Essential Hulk 1 and 2, look for the minus issue, as many of the John Byrne and Peter David runs of the series as you can lay your hands on. GREAT storytelling. In fact without the Hulk there would be no Wolverine!

The only movie franchise I was dissapointed in was Spider-man because they DID go the pop route that the mini did. The characterizations and motivations of ALL the characters were wrong (except Osborne) and completely unrecognizable.

Trust me on all this info, I am a human Marvel Comics dictionary!

Sorry you didn't like the Hulk Muffy
Old November 28th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #3
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

On a related note the mini is propagandized in the specail offers booklet in X2. I'm surprised Tom DeSanto allowed this!
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:16 PM   #4
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Trevor! Thanks for the info, yep I was never much of a comic fan, I thought I remembered the story and chars but I guess I didn't. SOrry about that. The movie was not awful at all, my spouse liked it fine and my daughter loved it. I have been in the video game industry too long I guess so I have trouble seeing CGI with other than a critical eye.

Worse than that, there was this nice lady who liked to be a sort of foster mother for us when we were young, and she used to go with us to movies - and she got me into the habit of catching every little detail that might be off in a film. She would catch the most amazing things! I guess it rubbed off on me so I tend to do the same thing, which spoils movie watching somewhat.

Thanks for the correction! Happy Turkey Day!
Old November 28th, 2003, 02:55 PM   #5
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor Angelus
On a related note the mini is propagandized in the specail offers booklet in X2. I'm surprised Tom DeSanto allowed this!
He wouldn't have had anything to do with the contents of X" beyond what was on the DVD/tape. What goes between the tape and the box is decided by the marketing drones.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #6
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

No prob Muffit! I don't blame you in pointing out the CGI flaws. Now in the comic yes the Hulk was EXTREMELY HUDE, so I will give them that. But in the next film they are going to do the grey Hulk, and it was even admited by the book itself that he wasn't much bigger than a bodybuilder. Hopefully they will get Mr Ferrigno to reprise his role, or another actor and limit the CGI.

There are 3 Hulks.

Savage
Grey
Intelligent

The savage is the old Hulk Smash Hulk we know and love.

The grey is the original hulk personality. the Hulk used to be Grey but the printer was in consistant with grey so they switched to green. Back at this time the Hulk had kind of a sinister selfish twist to his characterand he had some intellegence to him. As time went on he de evolved into the savage hulk. Writer Peter David saw a potetial and a psychologicaly interesting place to go with this personality. Already saying that the hulk was a multiple persona of Baner, the Grey Hulk was yet another.

The intellegent Hulk was Doc Samsons attempt to bring all 3 personas at peace with each other.
He had Baner's mind, the savage hulks body and strength, and the grey hulks attitude.

Ang has stated that the grey Hulk and the leader will be in the next film. Heres hoping for Rick Jones as well.
Old November 28th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #7
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

P.S. I /thought/ his real name was Bruce. Every time they said David I was confused. I remember that in the 40's and 50's it was quite commonplace to name fanciful characters so that their first and last names started with the same letter or sound (Peter Parker, Clark Kent, Dave Dawson, Freddy Farmer, Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, etc.).

Thanks for the interesting additional info. I didn't know there were 3.
Old November 29th, 2003, 05:54 AM   #8
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

You're welcome Muffy

If you would like to know more, because there are many interesting stories, just ask!
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:17 PM   #9
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Ooh, Trevor Angelus, if I'm not mistaken, isn't that the original TV show hulk, Lou Ferrigno, coming out of the building as a security guard? That guy looks amazingly good still to me, too bad they didn't do more with him in the flik. Odd how Mr. Schwarzenegger's career really took off, despite some language difficulties, and Mr. Ferrigno's did not for some reason. Hollywood is really puzzling.

Cheers,
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:37 PM   #10
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Yes that was Mr. Ferrigno and the old man he was talking to was Hulk creator, writer, and Marvel editor Stan Lee. It was an EXCELLENT cameo for both men. This was not Mr Lee's first Hulk cameo. He was a Juror in David's dream in Trial of the Incredible Hulk
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:38 PM   #11
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I saw the preview for BG on the Hulk disk at my local Walmart. They had a super surround system so I went over and turned up the sound. I also watched some of the Hulk movie and found that it wasn't as bad as many stated it to be. I grew up on the Bill Bixby version but do remember the comic book one as well. Ang Lee tried his best and was passionate about the subject. I watched the documentary on Scifi when it aired. Ang even did some of the stand ins for the later CGI.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #12
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Hopefully others were watching and became interested, Paul! Kids like it!
I forgot to add something in my previous post about Mr. Ferrigno, I think that his hearing and the fact that he was VERY devoted to his family and was less comprimising about his time away from his family than Mr Schwartzeneggar. That's just my 2 cubits.

Hopefully he will play the Grey Hulk!
Old December 4th, 2003, 05:46 PM   #13
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Oh, btw Trevor, I think the best part about the Hulk was the use of Danny Elfman as composer. He is a /master/ at thriller music.

I have loved every one of his compositions, especially the intro in Mars Attacks.

Old December 5th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #14
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Yes he is one of my favorites as well.

Batman
Nightmare Before Christmas
Beetlejuice

His best IMO was the Batman Returns soundtrack, his collaberation with one of my fave punk groups Siouxie and the Banshees, Face To Face stillstirs emotions in me as does the rest of his score. He'll NEVER top that one!
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I rented the hulk movie for the kids and saw that too.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:08 PM   #16
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I rented the hulk movie for the kids and saw that too.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote