Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:28 AM   #511
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

People call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute.
--Rebecca West

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

This Momentous Day, H. R. White

unowhoandwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2004, 11:29 AM   #512
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

It doesn't make any difference what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do it in the street and frighten the horses.
---Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Each smallest act of kindness reverbrates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.

Old April 6th, 2004, 11:35 AM   #513
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffit
Thomas, the reply was "Must have been your lifelong ambition" Good one though!

And mine,
"Cowards die many times before their death, but the valiant never taste of death but once"
-- W.S
Ah! Your memory does surpass mine! I fix!
Old April 6th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #514
bsg1fan1975
Major

if you fail at succeeding, don't do it again!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #515
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality.
--Jules de Gaultier

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #516
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

There was a time when we expected nothing of our children but obedience, as opposed to the present, when we expect everything of them but obedience.
--Anatole Broyard

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #517
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Time cools, time clarifies; no mood can be maintained quite unaltered through the course of hours.
--Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook.
--William James (1842 - 1910)

Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.
--Carl Jung (1875 - 1961)

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #518
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.
--Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:38 PM   #519
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Cowardice asks the question - is it safe?
Expediency asks the question - is it politic?
Vanity asks the question - is it popular?
But conscience asks the question - is it right?
And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular; but one must take it because it is right.
--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old April 7th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #520
bsg1fan1975
Major

"do you want fries with that?"

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #521
Antelope

I heard this the other day. It's not politically correct but in times like now I thought it interesting that it was uttered:

Child to mother: "What's a mosque?"

Mother to Child: "A place where people go to worship the devil."
Old April 8th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #522
braxiss
Major

THE POWER OF ATTITUDE
"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, butby the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst......a spark that creates extraordinary results"

unknown
Old April 9th, 2004, 08:55 AM   #523
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxiss
THE POWER OF ATTITUDE
"Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but how we react to what happens, not by what life brings to us, butby the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst......a spark that creates extraordinary results"

unknown

Oh wise gnome, I bow at your feet. Well said... by whoever said it. And well quoted by you.

Old April 9th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #524
unowhoandwhy
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
I heard this the other day. It's not politically correct but in times like now I thought it interesting that it was uttered:

Child to mother: "What's a mosque?"

Mother to Child: "A place where people go to worship the devil."

I won't comment on this one, but I will say that it has always amazed me how such small differences in religion can be so completely blown out of proportion. Here's how I see it: Just about everyone believes in some sort of Higher Power and any differences as to name, number, and tenets of the Higher Power can be attributed to cultural differences.

I mean, I like garlic on my spaghetti, but some people don't like garlic and some people don't like spaghetti at all, which I completely don't understand, but I'm not going to fight a war over it. Not that spaghetti and a Higher Power are comparable, but...

The current troubles in the world were caused by extremists, fanatics and lunatics and have nothing to with the peaceful, law-abiding practitioners of any religion, whether they believe that Christ was the son of God (Christians) or not (Jews) or whether God's Prophet was Moses or Mohammed (Muslims), or any other beliefs.

Not long after 9/11 I overheard someone talking about "nuking all the Muslims" (well, OK, he said something a little more ignorant & derogatory, but I won't repeat it here) because of what "they" did to the US. I just looked at him and said, "Well, look at all the people Timothy McVeigh killed. He was a 'redneck', should we kill all the rednecks because of what 'they' did?"

He had no response to that...

Old April 9th, 2004, 03:56 PM   #525
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by unowhoandwhy
I won't comment on this one, but I will say that it has always amazed me how such small differences in religion can be so completely blown out of proportion. Here's how I see it: Just about everyone believes in some sort of Higher Power and any differences as to name, number, and tenets of the Higher Power can be attributed to cultural differences.

I mean, I like garlic on my spaghetti, but some people don't like garlic and some people don't like spaghetti at all, which I completely don't understand, but I'm not going to fight a war over it. Not that spaghetti and a Higher Power are comparable, but...

The current troubles in the world were caused by extremists, fanatics and lunatics and have nothing to with the peaceful, law-abiding practitioners of any religion, whether they believe that Christ was the son of God (Christians) or not (Jews) or whether God's Prophet was Moses or Mohammed (Muslims), or any other beliefs.

Not long after 9/11 I overheard someone talking about "nuking all the Muslims" (well, OK, he said something a little more ignorant & derogatory, but I won't repeat it here) because of what "they" did to the US. I just looked at him and said, "Well, look at all the people Timothy McVeigh killed. He was a 'redneck', should we kill all the rednecks because of what 'they' did?"

He had no response to that...
The fanactics ruin it for everone else. I'm a christian (I follow the message of Jesus-whether he really was the son of God I don't know) married to a Buddhist. I wish people would worry about the message (assuming the message is positive) not the messenger or the details of the afterlife. Since we are on quotes:

Do unto others before they do unto you.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

Not a quote but a thought:

When a criminal is loose on the other side of town you watch it on TV after the crime occurs.

When a criminal is loose on your street you call the police and hope they handle it.

When the criminal is in your home you shoot the criminal and hope the police understand.

When it becomes a choice of us or them, we always chooses us.

When them wants to kill all of us sometimes us has no choice to but to kill all of them.

Be glad you live in a country and a time when us is so powerful relative to them that us can worry about hurting the feelings or destroying the property of them while them kills some of us.

Just because them can't kill all of us today doesn't mean them won't kill all of us tomorrow when them can.

If you're dead there is no tomorrow.

Most PEOPLE of all religions are peaceful and law abiding. That doesn't mean all RELIGIONS are peaceful and law abiding. The old Aztec religion believed in mandatory human sacrifice to keep the sun in it's proper course. Just because the average Aztec was a farmer who would never kill another human being doesn't mean I would respect or support the practice of his religion.

Islam as praticed literally requires the forced conversion of all people on the planet. It also professes that the word of a Muslim when given to a non-Muslim is nonbinding. These two principles are incompatible with international peace and commerce. Islam as actually practiced either must modify itself to current norms of civilized behavior or Islamic society will never get along with the rest of the world.

No matter how many times WE call Islam a religion of peace it doesn't change the reality of their belief system. When someone says they want to kill me and every man woman and child in my country I'll take them at their word. I don't think referring to my nation as "The Great Satan" is an Islamic term of enderment.

In the nation that created Tim McVeigh just about everyone thinks McVeigh was a nut that deserved to be executed.

In the nations that created the 9/11 terrorist most people consider the 9/11 terrorist heros.

BUT... the word you will hear when any Muslim is interviewed on radio or television after they start their statement that begins with the words and I paraphrase,"What the 9/11 terrorist did was wrong..." BUT is usually followed by something that explains how it's our fault.

We will have peace with the Arabs the day the Arabs love their children more than they hate our children----Golda Meir

Too much politics for a Battlestar site. Thanks for letting me vent. As a former soldier who fought in Iraq and Kuwait in 1991 and who has friends in Iraq today I was very frustrated to learn that when the Iraqis were shooting at our marines from inside a mosque in Fallujah the other day that the marines requested the mosque be bombed and the request was initially denied. Once about 5 marines were dead the powers that be finally allowed the mosque to be bombed. I wish the government was a little more worried about those 5 marines than they are about pretending everything is fine with Islam. They don't need to love us for us to give them free elections and stability so we can go home. After World War II I am sure the Japanese didn't love us but I bet they respected us. I have little sympathy for people who use our religious sympathies to kill us and little sympathy for the government officials tying our hands.
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #526
Bombadil

The problem with a religious viewpoint, any religious viewpoint, is if and when it devolves completely into a blind faith system that maintains no objective test. For example, in the Old Testament the people are told not to follow a prophet whose word does not come true. Objective test. Many people today follow self-styled prophets who are often wrong, but they don't notice or care. These people follow what they believe, and they are immune to any test that might prove them wrong. Whatever happens, it is "the will of God" and therefore OK. (disclaimer: I'm a Presbyterian and I take the will of God seriously. I am ranting against what I believe to be a perversion of that belief.) So the child dies without medical help. The terrorist blows up innocent bystanders in the name of God. The people starve while cows wander the streets.
Awww, better stop now. I'm justing getting warmed up and I'm not sure where this rant is headed. Sitting down now.

Old April 11th, 2004, 03:44 PM   #527
Bombadil

Sturgeon's Revelation:

90% of EVERYTHING is garbage.

Attributed to author Theodore Sturgeon upon being told by an adoring fan, "I really like your stuff. . .even though 90% of it is garbage."

Old April 11th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #528
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Sturgeon's actual quote is:

Sure, ninety percent of science fiction is crud. That's because ninety percent of everything is crud. The remainder is worth dying for."

Which is exactly how I feel about most science fiction, and the REAL Battlestar Galactica, respectively.

Regards,

GA
Old April 11th, 2004, 05:18 PM   #529
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

I know God will not give me anything I can't handle. I just wish that He didn't trust me so much.
--Mother Teresa
Old April 11th, 2004, 09:37 PM   #530
Rowan
On Vacation...

Chinese proverb...

Virginity like bubble, one prick all gone
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 05:10 AM   #531
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunstar Aries
Sturgeon's actual quote is:

Sure, ninety percent of science fiction is crud. That's because ninety percent of everything is crud. The remainder is worth dying for."
Thanks for the background info!

Old April 12th, 2004, 05:25 AM   #532
amberstar
Strike Leader

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.

- Robin Williams

Enjoy!

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #533
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"You are precious simply because you are you."
-Peggy Morris
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:11 PM   #534
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"Friendship requires an open heart so that love can come pouring in."
-unknown
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:12 PM   #535
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"The air is like a butterfly with frail blue wings. The happy earth looks at the sky and Sings."
-Joyce Kilmer
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:13 PM   #536
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"Take charge of your life and hold on. This is a long ride, and you are the drive every single day."
-Dr, Phil
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:14 PM   #537
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"If you don't try, you're never going to find out what meaning your life can have."
-Tony Robbins
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #538
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"Express your emotions as honestly as possible, so you can effectively deal with what's bothering you."
-Dr. Weil
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:16 PM   #539
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"The way to choose happiness is to follow what is right for you. Live your own dreams. And you will know the meaning of happiness."
-Ophrah Winfrey
Old April 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM   #540
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

"Everything in this world is made of energy, including our thoughts. SO what we think creates our life."
-Dr. Wayne Dyer