Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REJUVENATION CENTER > Galactica Cafe
Notices
Galactica Cafe A place to socialize and have fun!

Old November 29th, 2004, 02:28 PM   #1
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Default First day of work.

Had my first day at my new job today. It's been a few years sicne I last worked retail, and I'm startign to remember why I left it fo a factory job. lol.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up anything. They didn't fire me, lol.

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Thumbs up

Congratulations Spike, yeah retail can be a real pain, best of luck

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:02 PM   #3
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

bone

I'm a retail refugee myself. Had to get out. Hated what it was making me become.

Hope everything turns out for the best, Spike...
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:43 PM   #4
julix
Bad Email Address

Ok.
i have had to go back to retail so I could stay home with my kids.......(only one of few jobs that allows for nights) otherwise if I had a day job....daycare is too much money, we wouldn't come out ahead. I so don't like retail....... it has been five years of it(my daughter is 5) and I need out so bad.....sorry if I am complaining I have had a really bad day
julix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 12:41 AM   #5
gmd3d
Major

julix sorry to hear about the rotten day, don't worry about the complaining, that what were here for, it when your down, you need your friends.
here a smlie for you , ok here another for luck

Old November 30th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #6
julix
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by potemkin
julix sorry to hear about the rotten day, don't worry about the complaining, that what were here for, it when your down, you need your friends.
here a smlie for you , ok here another for luck
((((((((((((((((potemkin)))))))))))))))
Thank you so much!Your kindness is what helps get through things like that and move on..........
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:38 AM   #7
Gunstar Aries

Default Hang in there, Squadron Leader!!

But throw a 'deliver us from Retail' in your prayers!!

Seriously, Never ceases to amaze the level people will sacrifice for their kids. Gotta hand it to a julix for toughing it out. I don't know if you're looking, but if you are keep at it, you'll find something. Took me five years to land my current gig after I ran away from retail...

Regards,

GA
Old November 30th, 2004, 06:50 AM   #8
julix
Bad Email Address

Thank you GA.......
so much for your words of encouragement and support(that is very nice)...I only hope I can find something as well, for now I try to take it one day at a time. I am afraid it is getting to me. I have been auditioning for plays and hope to get a part to help balance out all the negative from work! My next audition is is Jan. so I am working on my monologue.

Spike....sorry to sway the topic somewhat...I was relating my retail story....some people love retail, and I hope it works out really good for you!!!
Old November 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #9
Spike The Cylon
Captain

julix,
Don't worry about it. We're all here for you. *hugs*

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Old November 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #10
gmd3d
Major

Hey julix
you have 3 wingmen on your side, we are here

:

call anytime

Old November 30th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #11
julix
Bad Email Address

Thanks guys!!!!
you guys are the best..........
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:31 PM   #12
Gunstar Aries

Thumbs up Knock 'em dead!!

Julix, I hope that audition goes your way. Break a leg, arm, elbow, whatever, but knock 'em dead!!

I have a friend who's a parttime actress, but I don't know much about the finances of the theatre. If you like, would it be possible to make a living at it? All things, in this case especially your kids, considered?

There are a few of us where I'm at now with retail backgrounds. We're in a professional environment, some are purchasers, customer sales and service, even production planning.

I'll tell you a theatre story next time, right now I've got to get some freakin' grad school homework done... UGH!!
Old November 30th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #13
Archangel
Bad Email Address

Good luck with the auditions, Julix.
Archangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2004, 05:21 PM   #14
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike The Cylon
Had my first day at my new job today. It's been a few years sicne I last worked retail, and I'm startign to remember why I left it fo a factory job. lol.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure I didn't mess up anything. They didn't fire me, lol.
Mozaltov Spike! I'm sure you did great
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 05:49 AM   #15
julix
Bad Email Address

GA and Archangel...........
Thanks!!!!!
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:22 PM   #16
Gunstar Aries

Default Theatre story

Julix,

After some delays, here's my theatre story:

When I was in college, I took a class on theatre. History, classic comedy v. classic tragedy, Inigo Jones, etc. One of the assignments was we had to see a couple of plays production companies were putting on at campus theatres.

My first play, outside of high school stuff was Steel Magnolias.

IT WAS INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!! Theatre in the round, one set. Six women put on a show that absolutely blew me away. When the movie came out, I was thinking, 'wow, this is going to be Oscar material for the actresses and the flick..." Couldn't have been more wrong. Those six women in that little theatre whom I could not name if you put a gun to my head today put on a perfomance that ABSOLUTELY crushed what Julia Roberts, Olympia Dukakis, et al did on the big screen with probably 1000 times the budget. What a waste of a good story...

Regards,

G A
Old December 4th, 2004, 11:45 PM   #17
harryfielder
Warrior

Hi Julix,,
Glad to see you want to tread the boards,,,
I had a lifetime in films and tv but never classed myself as an actor.
(Just a supporting artist)
It was the best job in the world and now I'm nearly 65 years old I'm back in retail in a big DIY chain as customer greeter until I retire in April .
Then this old boy will try to get back into the biz for the odd days work,
(I can always sit in a bar scene supping a pint)
Good luck with your dreams and ''Go get them girl''

Aitch,,,,
harryfielder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #18
julix
Bad Email Address

GA.....
Thanks for the story and I think that is so true(I have seen that happen) where stage and theatrical performances can be very very strong and it is interesting that those women did so well because I thought the cast of steele magnollias was good....wish I could seen the performance you saw!!!!!So did anything become of your class for you?????
Old December 5th, 2004, 06:49 AM   #19
julix
Bad Email Address

Aitch......
Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. You have an amazing body of work that you have to your credit. I agree with the artist term. I am sure there will be many "occasional" jobs to keep you busy when you are ready. Thanks again!

Spike....again my apologies for taking away from your topic.
Old December 5th, 2004, 09:50 AM   #20
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Mozaltov Spike! I'm sure you did great
Thanks.
I got a phone call on Friday, for a company that I applyed to back in June. They want me to start in 2 weeks
I'm gonna try to work both places till at least the end of January, so i can have some extra cash coming in.

Old December 5th, 2004, 09:59 AM   #21
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by julix

Spike....again my apologies for taking away from your topic.
No need to apoloize. I used to do acting years ago, and reading everything is bringing back old memories

Old December 5th, 2004, 10:12 AM   #22
Gunstar Aries

Spike,

Good luck with the 2 job thing. Not easy, but the cash is nice if you can swing it, especially because you don't have any time to spend it...

Julix,

I wish you could have seen that performance, too. It was GREAT!

The class was great. When I was freshman, I had a class on TV with the same prof. He made it very interesting, so I took his theatre class when I was a junior. I think I got an "A" in it. The other play we got to see was "Noises Off" a play about a British troop putting on the sex comedy 'Nothing On." That was neat because as a class we got to interview the play's director, who was also playing in the play as the director of 'Nothing On.' He starts the play in the audience, and was right beside me when he delivered his first line. Very cool!!!! Act one is a rehersal of "Nothing On." One of the characters comes out, answers a phone and is supposed to leave a plate of sardines when she hangs up. The director-playing-a-directors first line is, "YOU LEAVE THE SARDINES!!" It was darn funny. And again was better than the movie based on it with John Ritter and Terry Gar, IIRC...

My question for him was how he went about directing himself in the play. He used his assistant director to direct him and had the assitant play his part in some of the rehersals so he could concentrate on the other actors.

But we studied several plays. "Fences" is one I read that I'd like to see. It's about a black baseball player who's Negro league career has ended in 1950s Pittsburgh. It was a great and very moving story. I'd like to see it on stage sometime...

Let us know how the auditions turn out for you...

Regards,

G A
Old December 5th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #23
julix
Bad Email Address

GA....more wonderful stories from your experience, how nice!!!!

Spike good luck on the two jobs I know about the needing money thing.