Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library > Virtual Season Project
Notices
Virtual Season Project A group-based fan fiction project giving a glimpse of what might have happened in subsequent seasons of Battlestar Galactica

Old March 15th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #1
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default "Two for Twilly" Discussion Thread

Please use this thread to discuss or provide feedback on the story, "Two for Twilly".
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #2
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Whose pics are those 2 girls? One looks like Callisto from Xena.

I take it this unmade ep is where Don Bellasario got the idea to do a Quantum Leap episode about a polygamist with children.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I'd hoped from the outset that one of the unfilmed scripts from the series would be perfect for the VS project, and this one I felt offered the best possibilities since the other one that almost got filmed "I Have Seen Earth" would have stepped on some of our story ideas dealing with the post-HOG fate of Baltar, and also our long-term plans regarding clues to Earth. "Twilly" (a reworking of the 1950s Alec Guinness movie "Captain's Paradise", as McDonnell and Carlson admitted at the 15 Yahren Con) by contrast is Fleet-bound and could easily fit in. Once I got hold of a copy of the shooting script, it was a simple matter of doing the adaptation, where the basic structure was kept and only some modifications made to fit the rest of the VS, and also to eliminate some of the more fanciful moments of action that weren't overly realistic IMO.

McDonnell mentioned that Jamie Lee Curtis, at the time a Universal contract player, had read for the part of one of the two "wives" in the story, and I kept her in mind when writing the character (Gayla).

In fact one fun thing about the VS for me, is envisioning a probable guest cast for each of these stories, and in my case, I always try to envision actors and actresses who *could* have done these parts in 1979 based on where their careers were at that time and how old they were. Thus, I've envisioned Timothy Dalton as the oily, but debonair Council member Sire Antipas since he was in his late 30s at the time and not too well-known.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

I don't actually know who the two girls are, since the illustrator just plucked a couple at random when designing that before I could let her know who would have been more appropriate. But the guy who's been spliced into a pic with Starbuck and Apollo and is supposed to be Twilly, is an actor named Richard Gilliland who in 1977 starred in the "Operation Petticoat" TV series on ABC with John Astin (and which had Jamie Lee Curtis, my choice for Gayla as one of the nurses aboard the WWII submarine).
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:13 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon
But the guy who's been spliced into a pic with Starbuck and Apollo and is supposed to be Twilly, is an actor named Richard Gilliland who in 1977 starred in the "Operation Petticoat" TV series on ABC with John Astin.
Eric -

I know that guy - well, who he is anyway.... Richard Gilliland also had a recurring role on the CBS sitcom, Designing Women. His character was called "J.D. Shackelford" and he was Mary Jo's (Annie Potts) boyfriend. Richard Gilliland also married Jean Smart who played the part of Charlene Frazier on the show.

I don't have time tonight, but I'll have to sit down and read this story so I can join in on the discussion.

Later,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: "Two for Twilly" Discussion Thread

I suspect that we shall be hearing from Twilly again!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote