Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 28th, 2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Wink An open letter from Charles Adams

This was first posted on Facebook, and permission given for it to be posted here.

Additionally, if you haven't yet, you can join the FB Group The Original Battlestar Galactica models and see photos of the newly restored BG models. Now, that open letter -

---------------------------------------

The 1978 version of the Galactica has always been one of my favorite sci-fi subjects. I've spent years studying the original filming model and I even designed and helped build a replica that became a centerpiece of Battlestar Galactica: The Exhibition in Seattle, Washington USA.

In all this time, however, I had never laid eyes on the original studio miniature. I'm fortunate to know the owner of the model. He has gone to great lengths (and expense) to rescue and preserve many of the original filming miniatures from both Galactica and Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. He had even asked me to help him replace some missing parts that were no longer on the Galactica. Unfortunately, he lives on the opposite side of the country from me. So, until now, I had not been able to make the trip.

All that changed when we received news of an officially licensed project that is in the works. It seems the time had come to photograph the models once again, so we needed to replace the missing parts right away.

I was very lucky that my good friend and faithful assistant, Richard Lindstrom, was able to make the trip with me. We would have just two days to help prep all the models for shooting.

Prior to the event, we had spent years researching the original model, pouring over vintage photos to try and find missing parts. We were aided in our efforts by our good friend Phil from Australia. George Takacs of Timeslip Creations also donated some parts to the effort. The week before we left, I shipped several boxes of tools and model parts so they would arrive in time for us to do the work.

Specific details of exactly what we did will have to be kept confidential until after the new project comes to light. But, I can say that we restored a number of parts that had been missing since right after the model was filmed back in 1978.

We also replaced some of the details that had been added when the model was restored many years ago that proved to be incorrect. We were lucky to have access to some new reference that was not available before. With careful study, and a good bit of detective work, we discovered a number of details that had not been previously known.

The whole trip was a whirlwind and it was one I will never forget. We all worked really hard and the models looked absolutely stunning when they went in front of the camera. E. James Small (SmallArtWorks.ca) was in charge of photography and he also helped us prep for the shoot by carefully matching the color of the models and painting all the parts we brought. Everyone worked together smoothly as a team and we got a lot accomplished in a very short period of time.

I am very thankful to have been given the honor of participating in this event. I can't thank the owner of the models enough for providing us this opportunity. Thank you most of all to Richard, Phil, and Jim for all your hard work. What a fantastic and talented group of guys. It was a pleasure working with you all!

---------------------------------------
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #2
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Default Re: An open letter from Charles Adams

Ugh. Sadly, I don't have a FaceBook account (and kind of like it that way). Maybe one day I will find the new pics elsewhere.
Old April 30th, 2014, 10:42 AM   #3
gmd3d
Major

I joined and its interesting to see some of the production team there.. model builders and designers. fun to see the creations of Charles Adams, AG Probert chatting away and sharing experience.

137th Gebirg I posted one of your drawings . the Eastern Alliance Destroyer, as always I post a comment about scale and would the EAD fit through the opening of the bay. I think it would but it would be a tight fit

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 11:55 PM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Join, the group, there's some great discussion, memories and pictures being shared!
Old May 1st, 2014, 09:43 AM   #5
Tenement
Shuttle Pilot

Joined!
Tenement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 10:29 AM   #6
gmd3d
Major

look forward to see you there Tenement

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:50 AM   #7
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

This group is very good and it passed the 1000 member mark last night...

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

First photo of the refurbished ORIGINAL studio model of the Big "G" has been posted.

Thoughts?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote