Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 9th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #1
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Thumbs up The A Team Season 2 DVD Review

http://tvshowsondvd.com/sitereviews.cfm?ReleaseID=4487

A-Team, The - Season 2 Review

Rating
Video: 7/10
Audio: 7/10
Extras: 1/10

Mr. T says, "I pity the fool who doesn't buy this DVD!"
by Gord Lacey (All reviews) 4/09/2005

Ten years ago, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum-security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government, they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire... the A-Team.

The A-Team was a mid season replacement in January, 1983. Premiering with a double-length episode (preserved on DVD the same way), the show introduced us to the Vietnam vets wanted for a crime they didn't commit. Their leader is Col. John "Hannibal" Smith (George Peppard), a cigar-chewing strategist with aspirations to be in movies. Rounding out the team is Lt. Templeton "Faceman" Peck (Dirk Benedict, and Tim Dunigan in the pilot), a "looker" that's good with the ladies, Capt. H.M. "Howling Mad" Murdock (Dwight Schultz), a mental patient and pilot for the group, and Sgt. Bosco Albert "B.A." Baracus (Mr. T), a no-nonsense mechanic. Amy Allen (Melinda Culea), a reporter that joined the team in the pilot, was written out of the series in season 2, and was replaced by Tawnia Baker in "Say it With Bullets."

I still feel a bit naughty while watching these show, since my parents wouldn't let my brother and I watch it as kids. It's a bit silly when I look back on it because the show isn't really all that violent. I have to wonder if my parents ever watched an episode before they told us we couldn't see it, or if they simply read about the show and decided it was bad for kids. I've had the last laugh now though, haven't I? Thanks to Universal I can watch all 22 episodes from the second season.

Universal changed the packaging for the second season; they ditched the digipak and went with 3 slim cases. While I applaud the use of slim cases, I wish they had kept the plastic case that slipped over the set (I thought that was really cool). Here's a breakdown of the set:

Disc 1, Side A (2:26:42)
Diamonds 'N Dust (48:51)
Recipe For Heavy Bread (48:55)
The Only Church in Town (48:56)

Disc 1, Side B (3:14:48)
Bad Time on the Border (48:51)
"When you comin' Back, Range Rider?" (1:37:05)
The Taxicab Wars (48:52)

Disc 2, Side A (3:09:10)
Labor Pains (46:13)
There's Always a Catch (46:50)
Water, Water Everywhere (48:43)
Steel (47:24)

Disc 2, Side B (3:13:25)
The White Ballot (48:12)
The Maltese Cow (48:03)
In Plane Sight (48:23)
The Battle of Bel Air (48:47)

Disc 3, Side A (3:13:29)
Say It With Bullets (47:55)
Pure-Dee Poison (47:55)
It's a Desert Out There (48:39)
Chopping Spree (49:00)

Disc 3, Side B (3:13:37)
Harder Than It Looks (47:50)
Deadly Maneuvers (48:54)
Semi-Friendly Persuasion (48:03)
Curtain Call (48:50)

Video

These episodes contain some dust and other debris, but that's to be expected from material that's 21 years old. There aren't any significant flaws besides the dust, though an occasional flaw in the print will appear. Each disc allows you to "play all" the episodes at once, or select an individual episode to read a synopsis, select a scene, or play the episode. Universal has placed a chapter after the opening of the episode which allows you to skip the Universal title sequence, the preview for the episode, and the opening credits.

Audio

The A-Team contains a mono audio track, and it sounds alright. The theme song fits the show perfectly, pumping you up for action to come. There's an occasional crackle in the audio, though it's very infrequent. The set is captioned in English, French and Spanish.

Extras - How we rate extras

Knight Rider: Brother's Keeper (48:55)
This "bonus" episode is from the second season of Knight Rider.

Summary

I didn't mention this in my review of Magnum P.I., but Universal has done something interesting with both sets. Normally the "proof of purchase" for the set is part of a booklet, or the packaging, which annoys the anal collectors (like myself) that don't wish to cut up part of the set to take part in a promotion. Normally the "proof of purchase" for the set is part of a booklet, or the packaging, which annoys the anal collectors (like myself) that don't wish to cut up part of the set to take part in a promotion. Universal has placed little "proof of purchase" stickers over the UPC symbols on the individual slim cases, allowing the consumers to take part in a promotion and not destroy their set in the process. It's a great move by the company!

I was a bit sad to see Amy gone from the show, and in such an odd manor as well. I read the producers wanted to focus on the guys, and didn't feel like having a woman tagging along. I'd love to see some interviews with the cast for the third season, but I'm not holding my breath.

======================================================

IMHO Dirk was playing a down to earth Starbuck. He rocked.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote