Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > Battlestar Galactica
1978/80 Episode Reviews
Notices

Old September 1st, 2003, 04:57 PM   #1
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Battlestar Galactica 1978 G80-06:The Return of Starbuck.

Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Barry Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Guest stars: Dirk Benedict, Judith Chapman

Dr. Zee confronts Adama about an odd dream he had about his own origins. The dream was about Starbuck, and how he ended his days after his service to Galactica. His ship incapacitated in a battle, he’s forced to drift to a habitable planet, abandoned by the fleet that can’t afford to rescue him as they are under attack by a large Cylon force. He crashes onto a desert-like planet, that he names the Planet Starbuck, in the escape pod from his viper, and sets out to see what else might be inhabiting the planet, but finds only a crashed Cylon ship. Using the destroyed ship, he built a shelter for himself, and desperate for companionship, he rebuilds one of they Cylon Centurions, and reasons with it to make a friend out of it, teaching it about humans, and engaging in an interesting game of pyramid. After something resembling an argument, Cy wanders off in search of a woman for Starbuck. He returns with a strange, silent, pregnant woman “from a dimension beyond who came in the usual way”. Starbuck manages to build a ship for him, Angela, and the baby out of remaining pieces of the two ships, but the escape is made difficult by the arrival of a Cylon ship. Angela tells Starbuck that it is his judgement day, and his inability to destroy Cy and his willingness to send her and the baby off to Galactica while sacrificing himself for them convinces her that he is a good man, and she sends the baby off while he and Cy battle the incoming Centurions. Cy is destroyed defending Starbuck, leaving him alone again. The pod carries the baby to Galactica, and Adama admits that the baby is in fact Dr. Zee.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #2
Faust
Shuttle Pilot

This is really the only episode worth watching out of the Galactica 1980 episodes. The rest were really horrid and well worth forgetting.
Old December 14th, 2003, 12:30 AM   #3
originalsinner

Default 5 star G80 episode

Its a great episode, That a Warrior and Cylon can have a Friendship, we should all learn from it! The DVD should of had this episode!
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:25 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

This episode I saw. I really liked it ....... although I like
anything with the enemy/mine theme.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM   #5
originalsinner

Default Starbucks Dream

Maybe the hole season of Galactica 80 was Starbucks dream, After Cy died. he brushes back his hair, suddenly awakes to say, Man i better tell the Commander, theres no use in going to earth! the Earth People are all on plant vaper!
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:09 PM   #6
braxiss
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsinner
Maybe the hole season of Galactica 80 was Starbucks dream, After Cy died. he brushes back his hair, suddenly awakes to say, Man i better tell the Commander, theres no use in going to earth! the Earth People are all on plant vaper!

perfect, i really like your point of view here
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:35 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

This was originally a season 2 script with Starbuck being rescued at the end of the episode. I doubt that they will release Galactica 1980 on DVD.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #8
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
This was originally a season 2 script with Starbuck being rescued at the end of the episode. I doubt that they will release Galactica 1980 on DVD.
THe only EP I would watch on that one if they DID was "RETURN OF STARBUCK"

That one was the only ep worth watching.
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:26 PM   #9
lucky13
Bad Email Address

Awesome I just bought the COMPLETE EPIC Series but could not find this episode in the set. Is it because this was a Galactica 80 episode. I remember seeing it years ago and wanted to get my hands on this episode. Why was it not included in new DVD release I am disappointed. It was one of my favorite episodes?
lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2004, 11:30 PM   #10
lucky13
Bad Email Address

Default how to get this episode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo Girl
Series stars: Lorne Greene, Kent McCord, Barry Van Dyke, Robyn Douglass, Richard Lynch, Robbie Rist, Richard Eastman, Vernan Weddle, Herbert Jefferson Jr., Patrick Stuart, Allan Miller

Dr. Zee confronts Adama about an odd dream he had about his own origins. The dream was about Starbuck, and how he ended his days after his service to Galactica. His ship incapacitated in a battle, he’s forced to drift to a habitable planet, abandoned by the fleet that can’t afford to rescue him as they are under attack by a large Cylon force. He crashes onto a desert-like planet, that he names the Planet Starbuck, in the escape pod from his viper, and sets out to see what else might be inhabiting the planet, but finds only a crashed Cylon ship. Using the destroyed ship, he built a shelter for himself, and desperate for companionship, he rebuilds one of they Cylon Centurions, and reasons with it to make a friend out of it, teaching it about humans, and engaging in an interesting game of pyramid. After something resembling an argument, Cy wanders off in search of a woman for Starbuck. He returns with a strange, silent, pregnant woman “from a dimension beyond who came in the usual way”. Starbuck manages to build a ship for him, Angela, and the baby out of remaining pieces of the two ships, but the escape is made difficult by the arrival of a Cylon ship. Angela tells Starbuck that it is his judgement day, and his inability to destroy Cy and his willingness to send her and the baby off to Galactica while sacrificing himself for them convinces her that he is a good man, and she sends the baby off while he and Cy battle the incoming Centurions. Cy is destroyed defending Starbuck, leaving him alone again. The pod carries the baby to Galactica, and Adama admits that the baby is in fact Dr. Zee.
THis episode was the whole reason i bought the DVD and it isnt on there how do i get this episode with starbuck and the cylon BUMMER
Old March 14th, 2004, 07:50 AM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky13
THis episode was the whole reason i bought the DVD and it isnt on there how do i get this episode with starbuck and the cylon BUMMER
THe return of starbuck wasn't made in the 78 season. It was made in 1980
as a theory of what BSG80 'could have been'. Therefore it would not have
been included in the complete Original Bsg dvd set as it wasn't a part of
that series.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #12
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:

At one time Goodtimes Video had this episode available. However it was in LP mode which required the viewer to adjust the tracking on his/her VCR, to make a long story short the picture was poor. Sci fi channel has run this episode during the marathons but chopped many key scenes.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #13
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
At one time Goodtimes Video had this episode available. However it was in LP mode which required the viewer to adjust the tracking on his/her VCR, to make a long story short the picture was poor. Sci fi channel has run this episode during the marathons but chopped many key scenes.
They sure did. I remember when it first aired ..........it was the only episode of
BSG80 that didn't make me ill.
Old March 14th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #14
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

better than one third of the shows in battlestar before enemy mine had the show on vidiotape bought it at suncoast like the idea of it being on the first season it must have been awhile after thehand of god all of red blue siver and gold sqrdn are gone but count ibley said sheba would see him again maybe cain came back with a sceem to retake the home worlds and got ereybody killed best of 1980 and better then most of post pegasus shows (HAND OF GOD AND BALTARS ESCAPE EXCLUDED) :light: have a cold one in the officers club flight sgts and trainees will be welcome for my brithday monday then lets go blast sum tin heads happy saint paddysday god bless you all long live cattlecar galactica< like in mad magizine>
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by launchcruiser7
better than one third of the shows in battlestar before enemy mine had the show on vidiotape bought it at suncoast like the idea of it being on the first season it must have been awhile after thehand of god all of red blue siver and gold sqrdn are gone but count ibley said sheba would see him again maybe cain came back with a sceem to retake the home worlds and got ereybody killed best of 1980 and better then most of post pegasus shows (HAND OF GOD AND BALTARS ESCAPE EXCLUDED) :light: have a cold one in the officers club flight sgts and trainees will be welcome for my brithday monday then lets go blast sum tin heads happy saint paddysday god bless you all long live cattlecar galactica< like in mad magizine>
I think the reason why the show went into BG80 instead of what the
show COULD have and SHOULD Have been was because of the networks
and the overwhelming restrictions placed on the show and on the writers
of the show.
Old March 16th, 2004, 08:26 PM   #16
lucky13
Bad Email Address

Default I am trying to find it on VHS

Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Returm of Starbuck on VHS

Now that I watch every single episode form the DVD colection I am getting the Battlestar Galactica FEVER again LMAO
Old March 17th, 2004, 06:10 AM   #17
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Does anyone know where I can get my hands on the Returm of Starbuck on VHS

Now that I watch every single episode form the DVD colection I am getting the Battlestar Galactica FEVER again LMAO

Old March 17th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #18
Antelope

Someone who knows the answer please reply:

I have read two stories on this episode:

First I read that this was the last one made. Larson wanted to go out with a bang but didn't have much budget left. He thought doing a remake of Hell in the Pacific would be a great show on a low budget. Larson spoke to Dirk Benedict who was really too busy but as a favor to a friend agreed to do the episode.

I see Kingfish mentions this was a script for the season two of TOS that never happened.

This is my favorite BSG1980 episode, although I will admit I enjoyed a couple others. What is the story behind the story on this one or do I basically have it written above?
Old March 17th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #19
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I've heard as well that this was a revamped Season 2 script.

It certainly was the best of the G80 episodes, but I'm still willing to ignore it for the sake of a continuation movie so send money to CFF!!!!!!!!!!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2004, 05:27 PM   #20
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by antelope526
Someone who knows the answer please reply:

I have read two stories on this episode:

First I read that this was the last one made. Larson wanted to go out with a bang but didn't have much budget left. He thought doing a remake of Hell in the Pacific would be a great show on a low budget. Larson spoke to Dirk Benedict who was really too busy but as a favor to a friend agreed to do the episode.

I see Kingfish mentions this was a script for the season two of TOS that never happened.

This is my favorite BSG1980 episode, although I will admit I enjoyed a couple others. What is the story behind the story on this one or do I basically have it written above?

There is a ton of info on this at:

http://www.blast.net/hart/Sheba.htm

Regards,
Paul.
Old March 18th, 2004, 07:32 AM   #21
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
There is a ton of info on this at:

http://www.blast.net/hart/Sheba.htm

Regards,
Paul.
Thanks for posting the link Paul

Old March 18th, 2004, 02:46 PM   #22
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Default terra starbuck telemoive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo Girl

Dr. Zee confrplanet, abandoned by the fleet that can’t afford to rescue him as they are under attack by a large Cylon force. He crashes onto a desert-like planet, that he names the Planet Starbuck, in the escape pod from his viper, and sets out to see what else might be inhabiting the planet, but finds only a crashed Cylon ship. Using the destroyed ship, he built a shelter for himself, and desperate for companionship, he rebuilds one of they Cylon Centurions, and reasons with it to make a friend out of it, teaching it about humans, and engaging in an interesting game of pyramid. After something resembling an argument, Cy wanders off in search of a woman for Starbuck. Hmanages to build a ship for him, Angela, and the baby out of remaining pieces of the two ships, but the escape is made difficult by the arrival of a Cylon ship. Angela tells Starbuck that it is his judgement day, and his inability to destroy Cy and his willingness to send her and the baby off to Galactica while sacrificing himself for them convinces her that he is a good man, and she sends the baby off while he and Cy battle the incoming Centurions. Cy is destroyed defending Starbuck, leaving him alone again. The pod carries the baby to Galactica, and Adama admits that the baby is in fact Dr. Zee.

Last edited by launchcruiser7; March 18th, 2004 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: does anyone have telemovie
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:53 PM   #23
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

looking for tela movie saw in early 80s had us asternuts finding the log of the battlestarfloating in space best of the 12 movies 24 shows two shows per movie hated the one with murder and lords made starbuck look like a coward
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM   #24
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Question

best of bucnh :confused: :uhdrop:
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:10 PM   #25
Captain Morgan

someone has to have this on video

where are you hook us up
Old September 29th, 2004, 06:50 PM   #26
Mustex
On Vacation...

O.k., I know that many TOS fans consider this the only canon G80 episode. I was wondering, do you consider ALL of it canon, or just the parts with Starbuck. What I mean by this is, if you accept the part of it with Dr. Zee, and Adama, you're accepting that the baby became Dr. Zee. Or do you think the baby had an alternate future?
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2004, 07:04 PM   #27
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustex
O.k., I know that many the original Battlestar Galactica series fans consider this the only canon G80 episode. I was wondering, do you consider ALL of it canon, or just the parts with Starbuck. What I mean by this is, if you accept the part of it with Dr. Zee, and Adama, you're accepting that the baby became Dr. Zee. Or do you think the baby had an alternate future?
The only reason WHY G80 was considered to be so bad was because
of all the restrictions that were placed on the series. The return of Starbuck I
liked with Starbuck IN IT. I think as most TOS fans do that G80 was nothing
more then a hiccup. It wasn't written WELL with the exception of the return
of Starbuck Episode. Simply because I like the return of Starbuck EP does
not mean that I accept THAT time line for a TRUE continueation of TOS.
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:15 PM   #28
Senmut
Strike Leader

One question. After Cy gets blasted by the other Cylons, and Starbuck is alone again, why doesn't he use parts from the five other wrecked Cylons on the planet, fix Cy again, and use the second Cylon fighter to leave?
If this sounds like a stupid question, it has been 24 years since I saw the episode, and I missed parts of it.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #29
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I haven't seen that ep in ages so I honestly can't remember
Old October 5th, 2004, 03:45 PM   #30
Captain Bran
Shuttle Pilot

This is my favorite BSG 1980 episode!

I bought a copy from a guy on Ebay years ago. It is really hard to find on VHS. I am sure someone has probably bootlegged this on dvd by now. But, I don't recommend buying such. The dvd bootlegs are highly illegal and usually look like "Craaapp" (in my best Scottish accent)

I toast a mug of Ambrosia to this glorious episode!

Captain Bran
Captain Bran is offline   Reply With Quote