Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 10th, 2003, 07:17 AM   #1
Dean Martin
Warrior

Default This area is for people that liked the show!!

Why are people that did not like the new show crossing over here and adding comments to threads that are negative? You have an area for that. All you are doing is raining on the parade of people that enjoyed the show.
As I understand it, This area is to discuss the show with people that liked it. If you want to yell insults, do it from across the street!!
Dean Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:01 AM   #2
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Dean, take it easy. It's going to be back in forth for a while so just bare with us until we get things settled down.

This entire site was created based on the original series and you are in the middle of one of the biggest pro continuation sites on the net.

That being said we recognize the mini and have graciously provided a site for you guys to talk. Personally most of the handles i've seen in the last few days are new comers. We'll take it in stride just don't get us in the middle of a war.

That's one thing that i will not allow.

So post and have fun, let us worry about keeping things in order

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:04 AM   #3
Dean Martin
Warrior

Well someone has to say something or keep on top of it otherwise this area is a waste of time. Or should I lie and say I didn't like it just for loyalty sake. I think a lot of old time fans were prepared to hate the new show no matter what.

EDIT DELETED.

Last edited by Dean Martin; December 11th, 2003 at 02:36 PM..
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #4
Spectre

Quote:
Originally posted by Dean Martin
Well someone has to say something or keep on top of it otherwise this area is a waste of time. Or should I lie and say I didn't like it just for loyalty sake. I think a lot of old time fans were prepared to hate the new show no matter what.
EXACTLY !!!!

They're sitting out there waiting for the mini to start just thinking...

" This is gonna suck...I hate Moore....Richard Hatch was SO screwed over..."

All even before the first scene, they were determined to NOT give it a chance. Grow up people...you don't get everything you want.

-Spec
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #5
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Unless of course this area was made for an ambush...
Ummm, no. We did not create a forum here at Fleets to jump all over mini supporters. Please re-read what i just posted. We recognize the mini for what it was, a different version of Battlestar. And that's the way we will treat it.

Your passionate one way, there are others that are passionate the other way. When we catch threads out of place we will move them but expect to get a little heat form the continuation crowd.

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:12 AM   #6
Dean Martin
Warrior

I'm glad you agree but I think that your harsh tone is not going to help the situation. I for one am a big fan of the original. I tuned into the new show expecting crap and there was a lot of good and interesting ideas in there that I have not heard one die hard fan say, that was good or I liked the new looking Cylon, that was cool.
That's how I know that there are loyalty issues. But as a fan of all the series I would say that these fans have been loyal, and supportive and they are dissapointed. I am to a degree as well. If you want them to not insult what you like I would not throw gasoline on the fire.
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:14 AM   #7
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Titon
Ummm, no. We did not create a forum here at Fleets to jump all over mini supporters. Please re-read what i just posted. We recognize the mini for what it was, a different version of Battlestar. And that's the way we will treat it.

Your passionate one way, there are others that are passionate the other way. When we catch threads out of place we will move them but expect to get a little heat form the continuation crowd.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm PASSIONATE about the new show. I liked it, and would like to discuss it from that point of view. I'm passionate about the old show. Because I liked the new show doesn't mean I am not in favor of the old anymore.
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #8
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Ok. sooooooooo what are we talking about then?

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #9
Dean Martin
Warrior

We'retalking about discussing the various aspects of the new show, where it can go, and everything surrounding it without getting bombarded by, "The larson/Desanto version would have rocked, this sucks" kind of remark.
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #10
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

And we will do our best to move and help control that aspect for you guys in order to discuss the new Galactica. That's what i stated before.

You will see i already moved a thread out of this area. But sometimes it will take us a bit of time to move things around. We can't catch everything at the drop of a hat.

In essence you guys can help keep things on an even kiel by *ignoring* those types of threads at all. There going to happen, plain and simple.

Oh and one more thing to try and help ease tensions, i *will* give this discussion area creedence especially since i worked on the FX for the new series. As much as i love the original show i did work on this new one. I don't have to like some of the direction they took but i still had a stake in it.

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #11
larocque6689
Warrior

Well said, Titon.

Any chance you can lure Gakchat over here?
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:28 AM   #12
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
No it wasn't created for an ambush Dean. I actually dislike the division because it fractures the normal discussion around here, which can get heated but is *never* to go to the the point of personally flaming someone. That said I totally support the attempt to keep the place peaceful. If there are posts which disturb you, any mod on this board is available by PM or you can click on "report this post" in any individual post and state your complaint. It will be looked into. You also have the ability to go into your profile and type in the handle of any poster you wish to ignore and when you read a thread their posts will not appear for you.

I have seen a lot of disrespect and rudeness from a few select newbies here that makes me think that the antagonism starts with those posters. Spectre being a one example so far. Anyone who comes here just to pick fights will find they are not welcome.

This is a pro-continuation website because it is the interest and advocacy of pro-continuation/TOS fans that ultimately (to most of our chagrin or horror) resulted in the miniseries which you espouse to like. If you don't like it here, another of our friends' boards might be more comfortable for you, try www.subspacebbs.com Dennis Bailey has a nice pro-mini board started there and his moderation is fair and even handed, as long as you have a single handle and don't flame another poster. Anyone here would recommend his place to you.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:29 AM   #13
Dean Martin
Warrior

Well I'm not sure exactly what you did but I liked the FX for a TV show it looked pretty good so GOOD WORK!

It's a couple of hours of TV. What's important is whether or not you were entertained or maybe you smiled or saw something you liked.
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:42 AM   #14
Domiano
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Titon
Ummm, no. We did not create a forum here at Fleets to jump all over mini supporters.

That one line made me laugh......
Quote:
mini supporters
There are three sizes of sport equipment supporters large, medium and mini.

Seriously, there should not be a war. We should all be glad that in some way the name Battlestar Galactica will be fresh in everyone's mind. Hopefully there will be a movie made with Glen, Tom and Richard.
Domiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 08:45 AM   #15
Dean Martin
Warrior

*AHEM* I wear the large, BTW.

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:52 AM   #16
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Dean in the coming days i'll post images of the ships my partner (Mark Dickson) and i created for the show. The ships in general were the original series Colonial Shuttle you see in the opening scenes and the Gemini Freighter. Those are the original ships that Mark and i produced for the show. Not only that but in night 2 you see a new design for the Colonial Shuttle. That was also created by me and my partner.

I also had a hand in detailing certain parts of the new Galactica. So is there anything i found intersting in the new series? Why of course. There are different aspects that definately are appealing but there also are points that i consider pointless. BUT in essence there were alot of those with the original as well.

Don

Old December 10th, 2003, 08:59 AM   #17
jeditemple
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally posted by Spectre
They're sitting out there waiting for the mini to start just thinking...

" This is gonna suck...I hate Moore....Richard Hatch was SO screwed over..."

All even before the first scene, they were determined to NOT give it a chance. Grow up people...you don't get everything you want.

-Spec
I don't think anyone is "out there waiting" to attack you for liking the miniseries. I haven't been posting here for very long, but I haven't encountered any hostility. It's a Message Board and sometimes people are going to disagree with you, but don't take it personally. You should consider the tone you're using, telling people to "grow up." Some people make take that in the wrong way. We're all here to have fun.

I agree with what Titon said. Just give it some time for folks to settle into their discussion areas, whether it's pro or con.
jeditemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #18
Dean Martin
Warrior

Well the problem is that the people that feel strongly about hating something feel stronger about it than the people who just liked it so what is going to happen is, the HATERS are going to come in here, already angry, looking for someone to take their frustration out on. And it is still happening.
I'll give it time but when I see an in-FRAC-tion I am going to point it out.
Old December 10th, 2003, 01:48 PM   #19
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

This place has been around for a bunch more years than the Mini had even been considered.
It's core membership are fans that have given a lot (physically, emotionaly and even financialy) to get the original back. So there is bound to be a little tension.
moreso becasue of a small disruptive element of fandom that came here only to cause trouble.

The key is to recognize that and to distande yourself from that element by keeping the discussion above the belt.

I knew that I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken clearly to the greatest purveyor of violence in the world today -- my own government....
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~

I can hear God saying to America: “You are too arrogant! If you don't change your ways, I will rise up and break the backbone of your power!"
~ Dr. Martin Luther King ~
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:06 PM   #20
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
This place has been around for a bunch more years than the Mini had even been considered.
I understand that but it is the staff HERE that provided an area AWAY from the haters. Otherwise you may as well lump the forums back together and we can fight it out.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:11 PM   #21
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Quote:
I think a lot of old time fans were prepared to hate the new show no matter what.
Initially I was. As of last week I was. But Sunday night I told myself - if you're going to watch the thing just to hate it then why watch it. So I went through a long process Sunday Night and Monday convincing myself I would be watching a new 'not-related-to-BG-series'. It was the ONLY way I could do it. If I watched it while thinking of the original series I would have turned it off after the first half hour.

However, I watched it keeping in mind it was a 'not related series, ignore the similar names' and was willing, when it started, to give it a chance.

Quote:
tuned into the new show expecting crap and there was a lot of good and interesting ideas in there that I have not heard one die hard fan say, that was good or I liked the new looking Cylon, that was cool.
You obviously haven't read my post about the first note. I DID post some things that I liked about the new show. I haven't had time to post anything about the second night but there were actually things I liked about it too.

I STILL don't think it's Battlestar Galactica. But taken as a totally separate entity - a 'show by the same name that isn't actually the show' on it's own it was fairly tolerable for me. Then again, I actually enjoyed Waterworld and Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones so that may not say much about my tastes...

So once again, I'm asking 'staunch supporters of the mini' or even 'mild supporters of the mini' or even 'liked the mini, love the original' types to not lump every fan of the original series into the same existing mold. We're all different types. We are all passionate.

(Ps, I'm STILL upset about Boomer, that's how much I liked her... and darnit if they didn't TRY, for a few moments at least, to make Tigh likable. Not that they succeeded but they tried. Oh, and I actually got to the 'I can tolerate Starbuck' point. Not something I ever considered night one. The Viper catch was interesting - amusing but interesting).

=)

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:16 PM   #22
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
You obviously haven't read my post about the first note.
Sorrty I didn't mean die hard fans only. I am a die hard fan but liked the new one. What I meant was the HATERS of the show that are die hard fans. Was there ANYTHING they liked.?
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #23
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default No idea...

But I'm just saying - watch with the lumping.

And also - give people a few days. They may not change their minds. They may HONESTLY hate everything about the new show. I hate a lot of it. But I am so seriously die-hard about the original show it took me weeks to decide to watch this and even after Sunday and Monday I almost didn't.

But I don't like the idea of bashing something I haven't seen so there we go...

Anyway - there are people who are going to hate it all. I'd have to say that's the right of anyone, just like it's your right to like it.

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:21 PM   #24
larocque6689
Warrior

Quote:
Ted says that all the time through a number of his handles. We don't listen to Ted. And besides, it's simply not true. If you knew the people who ran ColonialFleets you'd think differently.

Please reconsider your position or I may have to rethink your sincerity.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:24 PM   #25
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
Please reconsider your position or I may have to rethink your sincerity.
I was making a point. You can think what you want, I'm not going to be threatened here.
I'm merely making a point that if you want this to be an rea for an ambush on fans that like the show, that is what is going to happen. Don't start talking as if I am some plant because I won't stand for it.

Quote:
But I'm just saying - watch with the lumping.
There was no 'lumping' it was merely a typing error in thinking on my part.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:27 PM   #26
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

Quote:
Sorrty I didn't mean die hard fans only. I am a die hard fan but liked the new one. What I meant was the HATERS of the show that are die hard fans. Was there ANYTHING they liked.?
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Now can we all get back to expressing them without hurling insults? Oh and for the record, I love TOS, want to see a continuation, and am on the fence the about mini series.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:36 PM   #27
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

Ok, everyone please stick to the topic. Any conduct problems can be directed to the mods. Please let us deal with it.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #28
larocque6689
Warrior

Dean

I post regularly at the Cylon Alliance. One of my friends there is a guy named JJ. As you know, he is no friend of the miniseries and is generally considered one of its most vociferous opponents. Guess what? He gets along just fine with miniseries supporters. He might say to HubCap Dave - or other supporters - "You're wrong, but I respect you."

Most of the members here and at CA have that attitude. "We differ in our opinions but we respect you for having your own."

That's the kind of environment that I hope we can have here. I support this forum because it means that ColonialFleets is intended for ALL Battlestar fans.

Tom and Don didn't create this place so you could look for your fantasy virtual lynching. It simply isn't going to happen. Keeping it miniseries-positive means you'll interact with like-minded people in a friendly atmosphere. As Tom is wont to say - "I'm here for fun". I hope you are too. And I hope you have fun.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:37 PM   #29
Dean Martin
Warrior

I don't thin we can. The problem is that if you declare you liked the new show, deep down the haters will resent YOU for it. I'm being attacked now, people are flying off the handle for the littlest thing. I was supposed to accept DAWG's post as a joke. Sorry but this is the written word. I didn't get it.
Laroque is questioning my SINCERITY.
I new that this would end up like this.
Old December 10th, 2003, 04:49 PM   #30
Dean Martin
Warrior

Quote:
Tom and Don didn't create this place so you could look for your fantasy virtual lynching. It simply isn't going to happen.
Look, I laready explained why I made that comment. You want to keep attacking me despite the fact I explained it an putting me down or WHAT>???