Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old December 11th, 2003, 06:52 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Cool Gotta Get Pirates of Caribbean on DVD

We just got the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie on DVD. This is the first chance we've had to see it. It's REALLY great. Everything was put together well, cast, crew, backgrounds, effects, etc. The makeup on Johnny Depp is just incredibly perfect, and the part he plays of a loveable read-world pirate (who isn't indestructible and unmatchable, but heroic none the less) really helps make the show.

I gotta say, the FX were just awesome. I hope I don't sound down on any friends here who are CGI people, cuz I really and truly respect your talent! I just feel it needs to be used cleverly and sparsely in a feature - and that's what they did in Pirates. The most memorable effect, the ghost pirates, is very sparingly used (only when they're in moonlight). This touch made you wanting more - exactly the feeling you wanna evoke in your audience, rather than too much onscreen time so we have a chance to find any flaws.

The scenery and ships they built were spot on! I don't know if I've ever said this, but the old 17th-19th century sailing naval vessels are a deep love of mine, and I was so happy they paid so much attention to detail (rigging, etc).

There is a second disk of bonus features, which we've just started on (there's a ton on it) and that really makes it fun too. It's incredible what folks will go thru to bring a story to life when they truly have a love for it.

So, put it on your Christmas list! Cheers all!
Muffit
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #2
amberstar
Strike Leader

I didn't get a chance to see it in the theater and told my Mom that I was going to get the DVD over the weekend and I wanted her to come over to my house to watch it... My mom said No!
She fessed up and told me she bought it for me for Christmas, She was going to get me the BSG DVS but I beat her to that.
Looks like I will have to wait a little longer to watch Pirates.
(31 years old and still does most of what mom tells me to do
)

Amber
Old December 11th, 2003, 10:05 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Cool Amber! That's great! I know you'll love it And yes, it's a family show.

Old December 11th, 2003, 10:28 PM   #4
Kaith Rustaz
Bad Email Address

I saw it twice in the theater, snagged a vcd version off a P2P and watched it around 60 times. My GF got me the DVD for Yule, and I'm chaffin to watch it...she's being mean and not letting me have it til then. LOL Def. on my top 10 list, and now they are looking at making not 1 but 2 sequels. Its good to be a fan.
Kaith Rustaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:01 AM   #5
Proximo
Commodore
The Andorian Simpson

2 sequels? They'd better have Johnny Depp in them or it won't work. Savvy?
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 04:32 AM   #6
Kaith Rustaz
Bad Email Address

He's willing to do it. Heres something I posted elsewhere:

===
Pirates of the Caribbean 2: A January 2005 start of shooting date has been mentioned according to USA Today.
http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...ollywood_x.htm

Note: Since its in pre-production, theres little info at the moment.

Some other links:

http://movies.go.com/movies/P/pirate...ribbean2_2005/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383574/

http://www.killermovies.com/p/pirate...cles/3275.html
Quote:
Disney To Make 'Pirates Of The Caribbean' Sequel
[Wed July 16, 2003 09:30PM]

Walt Disney Co. are to start production on Pirates of the Caribbean sequel, this due to the movies success at the box office this week, according to Reuters.

Talks are taking place with the writers about developing storylines for the sequel, "I've got two more stories to tell about (pirate captain) Jack Sparrow," writer Ted Elliot said.

In interviews, Johnny Depp expressed a willingness to take part in a sequel and said making the movie was more than just fun.

"It was criminal. It was a blast," he said.
http://www.killermovies.com/p/pirate...cles/3301.html
Quote:
Back-to-back Shooting For 'Caribbean' Sequels?
[Wed November 12, 2003 11:42PM]

The sequels to this years box office smash Pirates of the Caribbean may get a Matrix-type back-to-back production, according to Variety sources.

The concept of back-to-back production has already been tried and tested by the Wachowski brothers for their Matrix sequels, and by Peter Jackson for his Lord of the Rings series.

Gore Verbinski is onboard to direct Pirates of the Caribbean 2, with Terry Rossio and Ted Elliott currently writing the script for the project.

Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley are all said to have agreed to do the sequel, which currently has no start date.
http://www.countingdown.com/movies/3171857

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_828974.html
Kaith Rustaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #7
goldcenturian
Shuttle Pilot

Default PIC: Sequel

Yahoo!
Now, if they'll only get Mr. Depp and Orlando to reprise their roles!!!!!!!
Happy Woman,
Carolyn
goldcenturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 12:55 PM   #8
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

That's so cool Kaith! Thanks for the info!

And count me too, without Depp I doubt that I'd watch the sequels...
However based on your info and his comments in the extras on disk 2 I think he'll be a happy camper to join the sequels.