Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #1
CaptainTux
Warrior

Default A thought on what I miss

I posted this on Skiffy a few moments ago. I hope it makes it through. I hope my friends here and our newcomers enjoy it as well.

I do not want to write another reveiw on the mini. There have been so many written already that I do not think I can add to what has already been said. Though there were aspects of it I liked, I was not caught with a sense of awe and wonderment that made me beg for more. Perhaps my memories of the original series are too fond. Perhaps that reminder was given to me recently by the miracle that is DVD.

Battlestar Galactica had many things going for it. There was no moral relativism. Right was right and wrong was wrong. There was a storng sense of family with the palpatable love felt between Adama, Apollo, and Athena. The friendship that bonded Starbuck, Apollo and Boomer showed you that friendship and brotherhood are sometimes really close cousins. Second chances were great, Cassie went form a no good socialator to a nurse and an accepted and welcome member of Adama's inner circle of family and friends. No one is bound by their past and there will always be people that look beyond what you do and see who you are.

There are many other things right with TOS. but there is one thing that stands out for me. It was a show you could watch with your entire family. Science fiction, better than any other genre, has a history of exciting the imagination and helping us dream of a better world and striving for ideas and ideals that are higher than what we currently live in. Children are naturally imaginative and we have lost some of that. Our love of science fiction proves our imagination is still there, but when viewed with a generation younger than us, it only enhances the experience. We can and should encourage our children to be imaginative and reach for higher social ideas like racial harmony, peace, and a strong snese of duty and right and wrong. Every time we produce a science fiction show that does not have a family element to it, we lose something......an opportunity to share with our kids. There should not be a line of programming and Disney Channel and PBS for the kiddies and all the other networks (cable and otherwise) be for the grown ups only. There has to come a point where we converge as a family as we did around the radio in decades past and enjoy a quality show that everyone can enjoy.

I once asked people on the following link what they thought was right about TOS, I ask the question again and look forward to your replies.

http://www.cylon.org/phpBB2/viewtopi...ghlight=#18400

Thank you for reading my thoughts.

Cheers!

Captain Tux

Tux
CaptainTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:16 PM   #2
cobrastrikelead
Bad Email Address

Default An Essay Far Too Cerebral

For the Sly-Fly Board.
cobrastrikelead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:21 PM   #3
CaptainTux
Warrior

hee hee

Tux
Old December 11th, 2003, 01:28 PM   #4
CaptainTux
Warrior

Do you know what would make me post here more often? An avatar. :tongue:

Tux
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #5
amberstar
Strike Leader

Hi there Captain Tux it is good to see you again! How ya been?
I love what you posted above. TOS had a heart and spirit that made us use our imaginations. To think Life here began out there.......
The characters drew us in rooting for them, the way they came together and put petty issues aside for the greater good of the fleet. They were HEROS we could look up to and a family we could be apart of.

Hey Let's give this man an avatar
Hope to see you around more often.

Amberstar
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:20 PM   #6
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Wonderful words, wonderfully said CaptainTux!

We need heroes today, young or old, to live out imaginations in worlds of hope.

And I too especially wish there were scifi shows I could share with my daughter. We have so little time to share with our children today; video games are meant for solo play and that divides us; and there are precious few family shows save for Disney (and almost never scifi).

Thank you for reminding us CaptTux of why BSG was so special.
I think you touched on something really true: when we lost radio shows and went to tele's, we lost the family gathering hour.

Affectionately,
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainTux
Do you know what would make me post here more often? An avatar. :tongue:
go into preferences, near the bottom of your user control stuff (below your signature and stuff is a place to upload your avatar from your HD.

If you have trouble Conundrum can help. It needs to be under 5 k or something though.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #8
CaptainTux
Warrior

Default Amberstar

I have been clam happy, thank you. I had been busy for awhile so I barely had time enough for Ca let alone anywhere else. Plus, I think I just got tired. Decided to have fun again and you guys are fun.

Tux
Old December 11th, 2003, 08:34 PM   #9
amberstar
Strike Leader

Default Thanks Tux

It is nice to have you around again!
I've been staying around her at CF ( I Love this place). I'll try to make it over to Ca more often, I like you all too

Amber
Old December 12th, 2003, 10:06 AM   #10
CaptainTux
Warrior

Default skiffy and media

Maybe cobrastrike is right. Maybe this was too cerebral. Skiffy did not post it, maybe it was all the big words. I will recompose and use a mono syllabic theme.

Amberstar, I have missed reading your posts and Muffits on a regular basis. Feel free to visit, I will slum here a little more.

Tux
Old December 12th, 2003, 01:00 PM   #11
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

CaptTux, your post just made it at SKiffy. Mine too.

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #12
CaptainTux
Warrior

Well, Muffit, considering what potty mouths we both are, that is a suprise that they allowed such offensive material as our to post. Plus, let's face it, our identities are suspect. I do not know about you, but I have an unlisted phone number.

Tux
Old January 12th, 2019, 09:00 PM   #13
Senmut
Strike Leader

Default Re: A thought on what I miss

The link is no more, alas! Was any of that archived elsewhere?
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote