Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 14th, 2004, 06:01 AM   #1
Hank the Tank
Shuttle Pilot

Default Here's an Idea, Mel Gibson

Good Day Folks:
From a true fan of BG-TOS, this is my first posting here on this board. So much that in my first ever Mustang (a 1979 silver Stang) some 24 years ago, I mounted a model of a Colonial Viper on the dashboard. Got a lot of compliments on that too, especially when on a first date (this was back in my young & Single USMC days).

Thought I'd float the idea of Glen Larson & Tom DeSantos bringing on Mel Gibson onto the BG team to help produce the new BG movie.

With Mel's most recent (and well-known) success making "The Passion of the Christ", I think bringing Mel Gibson on board would bring some real publicity to the new movie.
Not to mention his ability to depct the "religious" aspects of a flick. I remember how this was a integral part of BG-TOS and it added a lot of depth to the series.

Opinions???

On BG, The Mini: I agree with the folks over at BattlestarPegasus.com and Richard Hatch, what could have been. And I definitely don't like some of the changes Ron Moore made (gender changing Starbuck, come on...).

But Ron Moore did come up with some original ideas which would fare very well in a BG-TOS movie. The female Cylons were a nice touch, though having their "Baltar" and "Number Six" get it on reminds me too much of some idiot's "toaster sex" jokes (anybody remember that line from the 1981 flick, "Heavy Metal".

I wish the mini-series well though. I'm now of the opinion that the mini doing well would portend good things for a BG-TOS movie.

Finally, I have my own NFL Sports Ranters website forum (actually owned by Art Bietz & Bernie Kosar). Feel free to drop by & drum away on some of the hollow noggins that try to match wits with yours truly.

NFL Rantatorium

And:

The Rant (AFCN Rants)

Bernies Insiders

==================
"Next Time, its office rates, Lieutenant"
Cassiopeia (Laurette Spang)
==================

Hank the Tank
The Rock Ape of the Cape

BROWNS 2004
RETURN TO THE GLORY OF 1964!!

Last edited by Hank the Tank; March 14th, 2004 at 06:12 AM..
Hank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Count Iblis
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank the Tank
Good Day Folks:
From a true fan of BG-TOS, this is my first posting here on this board. So much that in my first ever Mustang (a 1979 silver Stang) some 24 years ago, I mounted a model of a Colonial Viper on the dashboard. Got a lot of compliments on that too, especially when on a first date (this was back in my young & Single USMC days).

Thought I'd float the idea of Glen Larson & Tom DeSantos bringing on Mel Gibson onto the BG team to help produce the new BG movie.

With Mel's most recent (and well-known) success making "The Passion of the Christ", I think bringing Mel Gibson on board would bring some real publicity to the new movie.
Not to mention his ability to depct the "religious" aspects of a flick. I remember how this was a integral part of BG-TOS and it added a lot of depth to the series.

Opinions???
Hmmmm....My only thought is Why would Mel Gibson want to do this? Unless he sees real potential for a money making venture he's probably going to decline any offers to "come on board" with Larson and Desanto.

One of the biggest reasons that team has not been able to get a "TOS MOVIE" projcet funded is because thay don't have any Hollywood clout these days, and frankly BSG has two strikes against it from when Glen was involved. (Not All IS Falt) One was the box office failure of the film, and the other was Galactica 1980 which was just plain bad.

In my humble opinion a "Gibson" type would be exactly what that duo needs right now, but I'm not sure who if any of those types of big guns will ever get on board. I hope in my heart somebody with the right stuff/money/backing will join in.

Cheers!
Count Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Welcome Hank!

I agree with the count. Mel would be great, but man, I can't see him doing this. its like trying to get a date with a Sports Ilustrated swimsuit model!

I would love to see it come back. Frankly I think its best bet is if the new series does well. Or if DeSanto gets really serious about this.

I have hope. It will take time, that's all. Give it a few more years.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2004, 03:01 PM   #4
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I truelly doubt that Mel Gibson would do this.
With as BIG a success as his movie is ...........
he can afford to pick and choose what he
wants to do now.

Other then the Mad Max things I doubt he'll
do too much scifi.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I have another IDEA ................ROBERT DUVALL. He's a great actor,
and has the range needed to play Commander Cain.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 09:39 AM   #6
Hank the Tank
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
I have another IDEA ................ROBERT DUVALL. He's a great actor,
and has the range needed to play Commander Cain.
You know, I think you're onto something.

It would be pretty hard to recast Adama in a TOS continuation, no matter how much gravitas the actor has. However I could see a recast of the Commander Cain role being accepted.
Just wish Lloyd Bridges was still around, and that goes too for Lorne Greene.

I'd say that Richard Hatch as Apollo will be taking over Lord Adama's position.

Now begs the question, what "babes" would be introduced in the TOS continuation?
(Starbuck's daughter has my vote, if Ron Moore lets Katee Sackoff take some time off for the role).

That chick could kick my butt anytime.
Hank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

IMHO, I can't see Mel Gibson taking on BSG unless he has complete freedom to do what he wants with the material. Mel took a huge amount of brutal criticism from just about everywhere and thats before "The Passion of the Christ" film was even seen. The heat Ron Moore got and is getting from continuation BSG advocates was nothing compared to what Mel went through. Mel's film is a huge success and that speaks volumes about him sticking to his interpretation of that crucial biblical event and financing the film himself when others shyed away or were pressured to drop out of or not to fund the project. To paraphrase the History Channel group review of the movie with biblical scholars, the bible wasn't made to be taken literally, there are many truths and canons but not they are not factual. Mel's film is just one interpretation of the event, not the definitive or a politically correct one.

If Mel decides to do a BSG movie, the question becomes, will BSG fans allow Mel to do his thing and accept/support the final results? With DeSantos/Singers many film/production projects in the pipeline, I can't see either one doing a BSG project in the next few years. Larson would need a killer script that a studio loves and find a hot director/producer to attract the necessary money or sell the property/rights to a group/studio that is able to make a BSG movie. For those that wish to see the TOS actors launch once more, time is running out. The TOS actors average age will be in the 60's by the time filming starts, so a limited amount of movies can be made with them in it if the 1st film is successful and if any sequels are approved. ST and X-Men movies were made and shown every 2-3 years. So figure at least 3 BSG movies with the TOS actors.

As a side note, there is much controversy about 2 rumored Stargate movies. One is proposed by the original movie filmmakers, a continuation of the 1st movie that denies/eliminates any history in the SG1 TV series or references to it. The other is by the current SG1 series team using the current actors and storylines. Which one gets the nod from MGM is anybody's guess.
Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2004, 02:32 PM   #8
Antelope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci-Fi

As a side note, there is much controversy about 2 rumored Stargate movies. One is proposed by the original movie filmmakers, a continuation of the 1st movie that denies/eliminates any history in the SG1 TV series or references to it. The other is by the current SG1 series team using the current actors and storylines. Which one gets the nod from MGM is anybody's guess.
Interesting observation, especially how you can see how it relates to some of our own debates. As one who liked Stargate -The Original Motion Picture and Stargate SG1 I can see both points.

Stargate SG1 has built a big mythos, has a large fan base, but can be argued as having abandoned some of the prime themes of the original movie. SG1 is an intergalactic war fought with armies. Stargate the movie was about an alien, Ra who ruled based on fear. His power in reality was a shadow of what people feared. It seemed obvious that even primitives united could defeat Ra as long as they didn't belief his illusions of majic that he was a god.
Old March 15th, 2004, 08:35 PM   #9
Count Iblis
Shuttle Pilot

I just thought about something else....Anybody heard anything about Mel Gibson trying to remake the "Prisoner"? He was working on this idea for awhile, but seems to have quit on it, or put is aside since "Passion".

I know this is off-topic.....Just wondering since Mel was mentioned/considered as a Possible future BSG Movie producer if many of his already "In The Works" projects might hinder such a possible scenario?

Any Thoughts or Info?

Sincerely, Count Iblis.
Count Iblis is offline   Reply With Quote