Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 26th, 2003, 04:30 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Desanto's Starbuck

The camera focuses in on the railing of a ships bridge. A closeup of a match, and the camera follows it up until it liights the tip of a fumerello(cigar). The figure turns toward the camera as the camera pulls back to reveal Starbuck on a ships bridge. He's decided to taken a cushy command chair over a viper. he wears his old flight jacket.

Cassiopeia is still his friend, but she is happily married with kids. He sees her as a life that could have been. His great mistake.

With Apollo gone, Starbuck is the mentor to Boxey, who is now called Orin. orin is the commander of the Galactica even though the fleet hasn't had an encounter with cylons for many years.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #2
larocque6689
Warrior

Note, as reference - the Starbuck lighting the match is very close to the "page one" of the pilot script that Michael Faries leaked to the SciFi forum in 2002. Michael was reciting the scene from memory, which suggested to me that he received it on the phone, but I cannot say how the information was given to him. I think it's fair to say without doubt that Michael's source was none other than Tom Desanto.

An interview with John Mamias at Galactica2003.net confirms that Boxey's character in the series was called Orin (and not Troy). Mamias is producer on the videogame which evolved into an RDM prequel, from a script originally authored by comic book scribe Grant Morrison (who was recommended by Tom Desanto) and based on the Desanto pilot script.

Last edited by larocque6689; October 26th, 2003 at 09:15 PM..
larocque6689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Michael is a great guy. I got to talk to him alot. it was our first time meeting.

He gets along good with DeSantos. Tom is a good guy. he radiates it. it was alot of fun all around.

Old October 26th, 2003, 05:26 PM   #4
larocque6689
Warrior

God bless Michael Faries.
I am proud to be able to call him a friend.
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:27 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Starbuck: If we were realists we would all be dead back on Caprica.

I really hope we het to see Dirk back in the role that made him famous.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 05:49 PM   #6
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Tom Don't forget to tell them how great the GWOM trailer was and what about the new G?
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 06:06 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

oh yeah...

But I think I;ll let you do that... meesa go to CA then sleep!

Old October 26th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #8
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

LOL sleepy ? I told you that you should have dosed in the car>
GWOM was really great. When people see it I really think they will get behind it.
S
Old October 26th, 2003, 07:48 PM   #9
larocque6689
Warrior

Default "Boxey the Star of the new BSG pilot"

http://bboard.scifi.com/bboard/brows...1/5/3315/33470

Although John Mamias had identified the name Desanto used in his script in his recent interview, the actual scoop that Boxey could be the main character in the pilot was made on October 15, 2001 by Michael Faries.

This was in the post-September 11 period, just prior to the departure of Bryan Singer from the project to join X-men 2. (The Q&A with Desanto never came to fruition, although Michael had sent him the questions) Michael had heard the Boxey news directly from Tom Desanto as a result of his ongoing phone conversations. He phrased it as follows:

"How would you all feel, knowing that a potentially unknown (or not widely known) actor between their mid-30s-early 40s *could* be cast as Boxey ("Troy") for the pilot episode?"

Last edited by larocque6689; October 26th, 2003 at 09:14 PM..
Old October 27th, 2003, 06:37 AM   #10
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I always thought Michael was getting his info from Scooter.
Old October 27th, 2003, 08:19 AM   #11
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Rather than speculate, why don't someone ask Michael?

me and him had alot of fun at the con. Now that the con is over, maybe he can join in the forums more.

Old October 27th, 2003, 08:30 AM   #12
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default DeSanto's script???

Does anyone have a copy of DeSanto's script or is that still private/cherished info???? Will it still be the basis for a possible Galactica movie???

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:33 PM   #13
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Al, i'll try to Clarify a few things here. Still blurried eyed and if miss anything (Darrell, Tom, Steve and the rest of ya chime in).

Here's a synopsis. The script DeSanto was producing was based off of a continuation, in the future. He stated that in the begining there is a great battle. The Galactica and Pegasus have been reunited and then the biggest battle since the destruction of the fleet occurs between the present fleet and the cylon's. During the battle the Pegasus is lost but the Cylons suffer an even worse defeat. During the battle Apollo is also lost. From what i understand here DeSanto was playing with an idea. Hatch was going to be in the new show but this is the kicker, as a cylon. I'll get to that in a sec. What's left of the fleet continues on. After years in space Adama passes. Tigh gains the bridge of the Galactica. The fleet continues on. The council and the people grow weary and Tigh is basically pushed out as commander. The Fleet stumbles across a huge asteriod field. It is abundent in natural resources. The people vote to stop running and settle. They begining to build a society again but it turns ugly on them. They begin to wallow in membrence, food, drink and gambling. It's basically Carrillon. After 25 years the people believe it's no longer necessary to have the Galactica since they believe that the Asteriod field has protected them. The Cylons have not been seen in the time span. Orin(Boxey) who now Commands the Galactica fights to keep the ship going but he has no chance. The council and the people vote to decommission the Galactica. In all of this, there's a sense of not remembering. There is a scene of a classroom where young students are being taught history of the colonies and the fleet. Some are asking what exactly is a cylon? The only rembering aspect for them is basic video game platforms that they use to play out games against the cylons.

Most of the old fleet and ship designs are left intact in DeSanto's production. The Galactica over the years takin a beating but her armorment has been increased. What the people do not realize this is that the cylons have not gone anywhere. There has been, like in Richard's trailer, a cylon civil war. Most of the people in the colonies that were left behind were basically stopped being killed. Here's a interesting *borg* type twist. The cylons realize finally after getting there asses kicked by the Pegasus and Galactica that there thinking process must become, yes, more human. After the civil war a more sinister and more intellegent cylon is born. Partially organic, partially machine. Ring a bell? But the way Tom had it layed out it worked nicely. The cylons no longer killed the humans but instead transformed them into living, breathing machines.

We move back to the day the council and the rest of the Fleet are decommisioning the Galactica. She is virtually shut down. At the same time the Cylon's attack the colony. They rampage through the colony with nothing to stop them. Over the 25 year period they have been gone the cylons have develped new craft, faster and more menuverable than the colonial vipers. There picked off one by one. Things look grim for the Colonial, the Galactica is nearly destroyed but suddenly the attack stops. All the cylon forces disengage and leave the area. Everyone is stunned that the attack stops. On the bridge of Galactica a message is transmitted telling the people of the colony to move to any ship that will carry them and leave. They are given coordinates to a destination where they will be met by a cylon force. (You see they don't want to kill them, they want them alive to grow the cylon race). At least that's what i got out of this part. Orin, on the bridge of the Galactica refuses. The cylon tranmission tell's him that if he does not comply they will all be destroyed.

Still refusing Orin gears up the Galactica to meanuver out to take on the new Basestar. The Galactica is no match for the new Basestar but Orin has been keeping a secret. He has hidden from the council a production of new viper fighter craft. They are launched and hold up very well against the new Raiders. But there are to few and are loosing badly. In the attack a cylon fighter hit's one of the fleet water ships ripping open the container(insert FX scene here). When the water explodes out of the ship it forms huge barriers in space and immediately destroys a squadran of vipers. You should have heard the crowd when Tom DeSanto said this. There was like a huge breath in the room, he had everyone fixed on him. Pretty incredible.

Anyways, the colony is close to being destoyed. The Galactica, and Tom you might have to help me here, anyone that was there actually, about how the new Basestar was destroyed. But if i remember it correctly the Galactica somehow uses it's thrusters? , to move the huge ice damn that was created and flys it into the Basestar and destroying it. Is that right guys? hehe.

Anyways Al, here's the part about Apollo. After this the wounded Galactica once again leads a fleet out into space. But Orin and the rest cannot understand why the initial attack was halted. The scene, if i remember, streams back to Cylon to a room where there is a single cylon standing. It turns and what do we see? The face of Apollo. And in the center of his right eye, the cylon *red* eye moves back and forth, back and forth.

Hope that helps Al, i know it's not what some wanted but again if you were there Tom answered a lot of questions why and i guess i can try to answer as well. Let me know!
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:52 PM   #14
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Gosh gabby, how could anybody add to that, I am luckey to remember my name LOL
I think you are right on the money from what I do remember
S
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:15 PM   #15
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default A new Viper.

Could it be the Blackhawk Model?
Old October 27th, 2003, 02:46 PM   #16
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Could it be the Blackhawk Model?
No, Tom's new viper design. He had production shot's of it and it look pretty damn good. They actually built to actual full size ships in Canada.

Gabby Steve? Nah just getting it posted now before *i* forget!

Old October 27th, 2003, 03:25 PM   #17
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Sorry I could not help myself
S
Old October 27th, 2003, 09:19 PM   #18
larocque6689
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
Rather than speculate, why don't someone ask Michael?
Tom, I pulled apart the Scooter Desanto/Singer timeline at Cylon.org, and Ian McLelland and Michael Ironside aside, it's about 85% accurate. I did this by following up a number of questions directly at Michael. I also asked some other trusted people on the information.

The plot description of the Manchurian colonials in Scooter's timeline is a bit different than what Tom reported above but not that far apart. I didn't delve too deeply into the KF script reviews or the Captain captain Tripps stuff. Nor at that point does it interest me that much. But I was happy to see that the "Rise and fall of Desanto/Singer" stuck mostly to the facts.

Scooter recently stated that 90% of the miniseries information Scooter/Mark/Michael reported was unreliable but Scooter was insistent that the Desanto information was mostly accurate. Note, in a cursory reading of the CaptainTripps memos, I have to disagree, though I don't want to get into that too deeply.

I wish he had not burnt his bridges with the people here and at CA. Before he was outed as a liar and a troublemaker, he had a reputation for being a Desanto loyalist and worked hard on a number of valuable Battlestar campaigns.

I support Tom and Sandy and others with respect to the recent disciplinary actions made against him. All the same, I no longer have an axe to grind with him, and I wish him well in whatever he does.

Last edited by larocque6689; October 27th, 2003 at 09:50 PM..
Old October 27th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #19
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I really appreciate all the work you do. But please don't worry so much about trying to further find anything against scooter or vindicating or clearing michael.

I think all that is past. And really the arguing we had before was totally stupid. And we don't need to investigate how stupid we were. We just know we were stupid!

I mean who cares if Larson vs DeSantos vs Hatch, or whoever makes a new movie. i just want a good movie! I don't care who does it.

i don't wanna say anything bad about scooter or anyone. I don't enjoy saying something bad about a person. And when you get down to it, I hope that he is happy and enjoying life.

I even hope Ted (who has caused months of trouble here) has a successful happy forum. Just as long as its waaaaayyy over there, and he keeps away from mine.

Michael Faries to me is a good guy. meeting him is a wonderful experience. And I just enjoyed talking.

frankly there is only one reason i come here. I'm here to have FUN.

Old October 28th, 2003, 01:06 AM   #20
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Anyways, the colony is close to being destroyed. The Galactica, and Tom you might have to help me here, anyone that was there actually, about how the new Basestar was destroyed. But if i remember it correctly the Galactica somehow uses it's thrusters? , to move the huge ice damn that was created and flys it into the Basestar and destroying it. Is that right guys? hehe.
Tom Desantos went over this part kinda fast in his excitement.

the humans are all on spaceships to surrender to the cylons as you described. And Boxey/Orin does that battle.

From what I grasped The Galactica fires on the asteroid bearing the main colony. The explosions breaks it apart and the pieces veer into the new basestar destroying it.

These people are once again stuck on ships, with no where to go. protected only by the last battlestar.

Then of course Sirena was scheduled to reappear as an angel from the ship of lights, and who knows what would have happened.

Old October 28th, 2003, 04:44 AM   #21
larocque6689
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by conundrum7g
I really appreciate all the work you do. But please don't worry so much about trying to further find anything against scooter or vindicating or clearing michael.
I think all that is past. And really the arguing we had before was totally stupid. And we don't need to investigate how stupid we were. We just know we were stupid!
i don't wanna say anything bad about scooter or anyone. I don't enjoy saying something bad about a person. And when you get down to it, I hope that he is happy and enjoying life.
Tom,

I don't have the time or energy to do this sort of thing any more. Those days are past. I have only one passion now and it's my main order of business: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

And fun too.
Old October 28th, 2003, 05:34 AM   #22
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for clarifing that Tom.

Missed that part, hehe.
Old October 28th, 2003, 06:17 AM   #23
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

yup!

ooh yeah, Tom refered to it as Moses leads the jews out of egypt but then dies and the refuges set up Las Vegas. Or something like that.

Old October 28th, 2003, 06:40 AM   #24
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default More on Apollo

I went to Tom's talk on Friday (it was awesome, you should've seen the clips he showed us! And these were just preliminary 'test' clips!!!).

Everything that Titon reported is exactly what Tom said about his script. So that is reliable, from Tom.

He did state that as the season progressed it would have been a bit of a father against son (and vice versa) thing because of Apollo's having been warped by the Cylons. He also stated that Serina's appearance (Jane Seymour contacted Tom, telling him that if he wanted to work out a way for Serina to appear, she was more than interested in reprising the role) would have been the catalyst that would bring Apollo back to the Colonials.

I have to say listening to TOM tell the story and answer his questions was awesome. And, as I said, the fight scenes were absolutely spectacular! =)

(Oh, and we would've had our bridge back too!)

--Rhonda, fresh from Galacticon (ok, not fresh, exhausted, but I'm here, lol)
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #25
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

the bridge was basically the same, but the ceiling was more impressive and looked strong with powerful radiating beams and struts.

Old October 28th, 2003, 09:54 AM   #26
RGrant
Shuttle Pilot

So the Cylons are now basically Borg. Disappointing, although I'd certainly be willing to give DeSanto a shot before Moore. There seem to be a lot of similarities between both versions, the main one being the attack that comes just as the Galactica gets decomissioned.

I wonder if naming Boxey Orin is some kind of joke. Orin as the son of an actor named Hatch. Senator Orin Hatch. If it's a joke, it's a really subtle one.
RGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:50 AM   #27
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Well the cylon's evolve into the genetic/cyborg units. The difference here is that Tom uses Baltar in this manner to explain his disappearence from the Galactica universe. It's actually a human that initiates the mergeing, not the cylon's themselves. So i can live with that.

Naming Boxey Orin was not Tom's choice. Tom actaully wanted to name him Orion to keep the mythical aspect. It was Bryan Singer that wanted his name to be Orin. Why i don't know.

As far as similarities between DeSanto/Moore, yes there are. But very few. Just goes to show you who's script came first and how things were takin from it for Moore's script. But again i say very few because with DeSanto you get the original, with Moore you get Starbuck's, ahem, cut off.