Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 26th, 2003, 06:26 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Why there is not Second Coming on DVD

Richard said this, I missed it, but someone told me.

The Second Trailer COULD HAVE BEEN on the dvd. But Universal was going to charge Richard to do it. So he didn't do it.

Universal is too greedy.

Also they could have released the G80, but now it looks like they never will.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 11:36 PM   #2
nightscape2112
Warrior

universal really sucks, they know how badly most of the fans want to see the second coming trailer. i hope now there will be changes in management with the new owners.

nightscape
Stay here and listen to the nightmares of the sea.

And the music plays on, as the bride passes by
Caught by his spell and the mariner tells his tale.

taken from "the rime of the ancient mariner" by iron maiden
nightscape2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2003, 01:45 AM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I hope so too!

btw, I just remembered. Since Return of Starbuck is technically a G:80 episode, it seems doubfull it will be released in dvd format. maybe as a single. But hope is dim right now.

Old October 28th, 2003, 12:33 PM   #4
larocque6689
Warrior

How much did they want Richard to shell out?
Another mortgage on the house?
Old October 28th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #5
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Actually, you have it backwards. I was in there when Richard talked about it. Universal would have been perfectly happy to put the trailer on the DVD set, but they wanted Richard to turn it over to them free of charge.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:28 AM   #6
larocque6689
Warrior

When you consider the number of units that the DVD has sold, I wonder if that was a wise decision. Speaking strictly as a fan, I think most people have purchased "The Epic Series" would have loved to see the trailer, and have caught the last known scenes with John Colicos (the TRUE star of Battlestar Galactica - ahem...). Yes, Richard would have seen his work parted for nothing. But it would have made its way into the homes of tens of thousands of people who would not have otherwise heard of "The Second Coming". It would have been a counterpoint to weigh against the miniseries trailer. Now we only have the miniseries trailer.
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #7
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Universal wanted it for free, but to have it all of the pros that worked on it would have had to been paid for their contributions--Universal wasn't willing to foot that bill (and paying the actors especially would have been required by their unions for it to be released on a "for sale" product.)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #8
larocque6689
Warrior

That sounds messy.
Old October 29th, 2003, 08:00 AM   #9
LadyImmortal
Bad Email Address

Default I was going to say what Jewels did

Richard did say, specifically, that the trailer would have been on the dvd set - but he then reminded Universal that they would have to pay out everything that Jewels mentioned - so they didn't put it on there...

It's quite a shame too!

--Rhonda
LadyImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:18 AM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

oh okay. I missed it and someone else told me that.

I stand corrected.

THANKS!

Old October 29th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #11
larocque6689
Warrior

Did Richard actually estimate how much compensation would be required? Was that estimate forwarded to the Universal DVD divison?
Old October 29th, 2003, 11:30 AM   #12
KJ
Strike Leader

As messy as it would have been. Universal Studios IS a very big company which blows more money on big budget motion pictures and A-list stars.

Now maybe they would have to spend money on the Second Coming and paid the actors off:

Quote:
Universal wanted it for free, but to have it all of the pros that worked on it would have had to been paid for their contributions--Universal wasn't willing to foot that bill (and paying the actors especially would have been required by their unions for it to be released on a "for sale" product.)
Well nothing in life is free! Universal was just to greedy to shell out is all. The thing is, i'm sure the DVD sales would have made them all happy. Considering the huge wait is now over and those Galactica fans and casual sci-fi fans are taking the BG DVD off the shelves.

Perhaps Universal knew the BG:Second Coming Trailer IS wanted by the fans and would be viewed as a better piece of work than the mini series they've invested 16 Million dollars in?!

One of the first rules of business Crush the competition!

Its a shame cos, we've all wanted see it on there. In all the variations Richard Hatch did of them.

KJ

Come to think of it, what about Larson's trailer? His so called: "Battlestar Atlantis Trailer!" does this thing exist. It was reported about years back. If it does exist, why didn't Glen Larson put that on the DVD's!
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:33 PM   #13
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kingjason
(...) Come to think of it, what about Larson's trailer? His so called: "Battlestar Atlantis Trailer!" does this thing exist. It was reported about years back. If it does exist, why didn't Glen Larson put that on the DVD's!
Oh, it exists...

The question begs, can it be shown on the web? One issue, to my understanding, is representation. It could be placed onto the web, but it a.) represents Mr. Larson's effort; b.) could be mistaken for Mr. Larson's current movie effort (which might change); and c.) faces scrutiny amidst a large fan base -- most of which didn't support his production.

That's a marketing nightmare: Mistaken identity, confusion over past efforts versus new ones, and working extra, EXTRA hard to put a fresh face/spin on new efforts when the old one is so prevalent. Faced with all of that, I don't see it being released anytime soon. But some of us are still trying.

re: The Second Coming. While the trailer itself will never be released onto the 'net officially by Richard due to S.A.G./legal considerations, that doesn't stop the publication of still shots with Richard's blessing. Nor a project which will emerge from BattlestarPegasus.com and BattlestarGalactica.com in the months ahead, time permitting, if not sooner.

Yes, Darrell and I are very adamant about keeping Richard's baby in the forefront of people's thoughts -- if only to ask, "Why didn't we get THIS?"

The same mindset applies to the Tom DeSanto items which you see on Sandy's Cylon.org and upcoming content from BattlestarPegasus.com, BattlestarGalactica.com and ColonialFleets.com, among other BG sites wishing to carry it. People need to see what might have been -- and what may yet still happen.

Michael
:colwar:
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:38 PM   #14
jjrakman

Quote:
that doesn't stop the publication of still shots with Richard's blessing.
so why can't every frame of the trailer be released as still shots?
Old November 21st, 2003, 12:52 PM   #15
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Quote:
Originally posted by jjrakman
so why can't every frame of the trailer be released as still shots?
Funny you mention that... It's been joked about half-seriously. I think Richard (and our collective network bandwidth, ie. $$) would prefer NOT to release 24 frames per second x 4-1/2 minutes in still pics.

Michael
michaelfaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2003, 01:04 PM   #16
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Ooooo! lets just contemplate what that would be in a flash file shall we? *watches four servers in different locations instantaneously lock up*

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old November 21st, 2003, 01:32 PM   #17
jjrakman

I don't know why it couldn't qualify as a fan film.
Old November 21st, 2003, 07:49 PM   #18
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelfaries
Oh, it exists...

The question begs, can it be shown on the web? One issue, to my understanding, is representation. It could be placed onto the web, but it a.) represents Mr. Larson's effort; b.) could be mistaken for Mr. Larson's current movie effort (which might change); and c.) faces scrutiny amidst a large fan base -- most of which didn't support his production.

That's a marketing nightmare: Mistaken identity, confusion over past efforts versus new ones, and working extra, EXTRA hard to put a fresh face/spin on new efforts when the old one is so prevalent. Faced with all of that, I don't see it being released anytime soon. But some of us are still trying.

re: The Second Coming. While the trailer itself will never be released onto the 'net officially by Richard due to S.A.G./legal considerations, that doesn't stop the publication of still shots with Richard's blessing. Nor a project which will emerge from BattlestarPegasus.com and BattlestarGalactica.com in the months ahead, time permitting, if not sooner.

Yes, Darrell and I are very adamant about keeping Richard's baby in the forefront of people's thoughts -- if only to ask, "Why didn't we get THIS?"

The same mindset applies to the Tom DeSanto items which you see on Sandy's Cylon.org and upcoming content from BattlestarPegasus.com, BattlestarGalactica.com and ColonialFleets.com, among other BG sites wishing to carry it. People need to see what might have been -- and what may yet still happen.

Michael
Michael

Here's my idea for Glen's "Battlestar Atlantis Trailer!" and Richard's "The Second Coming". Put them in the the extra's section of Tom DeSanto's "BSG:TMP" DVD. I do not what any "Moore" Galactica:upchuck:, I want the real Galactica back with Richard, Tom & Glen. Again it was great to see you at the con, just would have liked to spent more time together. Maybe another time. Off to kill some real Cylons.

Jim:colwar:
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:52 PM   #19
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Oh, it exists...

And i've always liked what you and others have done to give us more on the Galactica universe Michael.

But Universal knows damn well we fans want the trailers from both BG revival camps! If Larson's trailer exist i want to see it was well. despite the fact richard didn't pay up to Universal's greedy offers, i'm glad he didn't because they have more than enough money as a company and should be by all accounts ashamed they asked richard to shell out ludicrous amounts of money for HIS OWN trailer with i'm sure he and others slaved over to make?

Stills shots, was the only way back to how and see the trailers content back then in 1999.

But the majority of fans will never see these trialers Richard Hatch has done!

Universal studios is obviously self-serving and pigheaded to keep missing the boat again and again at this point.

Some day i hope good news will come when they announce the Second Coming is released in some format! along with Larson's "Atlantis" trailer as well. i'm sure a 30 second promo from Glen Larson beats out the 2003 mini series as well?

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2003, 03:17 PM   #20
Raymar3d
Demonslayer
Vulcan Torturer

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDDigital Artist
BG: The Second Coming
Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003

Default An idea

Here's a win-win for Universal:

Universal pays for "The Second Coming" trailer expenses, include it as an extra on the RM mini DVD. That way they will be able to sell some copies.

LOL,

Ken
Raymar3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2003, 08:30 PM   #21
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Ken.
Oh, and the mini's commentary track only has the VFX space sequences so you can choose to only (ever) view Zoic's work and Richard's trailer: the only BSG stuff in the whole fracking mini and one of the options that should have been done instead of the mini.

Jewels

Old December 12th, 2003, 08:48 AM   #22
Captain Riker

Default another view from the inside

I just found this site, very nice. I would like to intorduce myself, I am the Costume Designer of Richard's "The Second Coming" trailer, Joseph Kerezman.

The information about having to pay all of us that worked on the trailer our working rate before it could be released is correct. There would be a lot of money involved before it could be released and no one at Universal wanted to pay that.
Still Richard shows it at pretty much every convention he goes to so it gets seen a lot

I am redoing my web site for the new year and will have some Pictures from the Shoot posted, I took more than anyone else during the production many of which Richad has posted on his site. I will post different ones (my site is www.costumecostumecostume.com)

http://www.costumecostumecostume.com...mingJacket.htm

Last edited by Captain Riker; December 12th, 2003 at 10:12 AM..
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:37 AM   #23
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

Welcome Joseph! Hey, Riker is my favorite character on TNG.
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #24
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Default Re: another view from the inside

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Riker
I just found this site, very nice. I would like to intorduce myself, I am the Costume Designer of Richard's "The Second Coming" trailer, Joseph Kerezman.

The information about having to pay all of us that worked on the trailer our working rate before it could be released is correct. There would be a lot of money involved before it could be released and no one at Universal wanted to pay that.
Still Richard shows it at pretty much every convention he goes to so it gets seen a lot

I am redoing my web site for the new year and will have some Pictures from the Shoot posted, I took more than anyone else during the production many of which Richad has posted on his site. I will post different ones (my site is www.costumecostumecostume.com)

http://www.costumecostumecostume.com...mingJacket.htm
Hey I have one of those. Very cool!

Jim:colwar:
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:57 AM   #25
sihirvyth2

It was rumours about Hatch's project that got me to look it up on the Net and find out about 'The Second Coming'.

I'm hoping I can catch the trailer one day. Hatch deserves alot of credit for keeping Battlestar alive and keeping it in the minds of people like me.
I know there were special conditions under which the trailer was made, but I'm really hoping the series will take off and interest in BSG skyrockets like it has with Trek. I'm hoping then it might be included on a DVD of the future movie or that it might be financially viable enough to allow it to be sold on it's own.

The way everyone talks about it really makes me feel that I'm missing out on something special.
Old December 19th, 2003, 09:35 AM   #26
The Ninth Lord

Default Must see it

I'm sort of approaching the point where I have to see the Second Coming trailer. Does anyone know if Richard is going to continue to show it at conventions, and if he's got any appearances coming up? Does he ever go east of the Mississippi?
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM   #27
launchcruiser7
On Vacation...

Default dvd set

two blank sides should have put richards show and best of 1980 on starbucks return space croppers <ANA ALICA> and night of the cyclons makeing own best of disk 2 hours from dvd set bless bsg
launchcruiser7 is offline   Reply With Quote