Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old July 22nd, 2005, 06:43 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Question Stargate Atlantis 2x02

Ok....now, is it me, or when one mentions a full ship systems shutdown, it obviously doesn't include artificial gravity?

The Daedalus had to undergo a full systems shut down for several seconds. Now as far as life support, the crew can go for a few seconds without that....but for AG, shouldn't they at least have started floating off the floor for a few seconds?

Inquisitively,
Martok2112
Old July 24th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #2
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112
Ok....now, is it me, or when one mentions a full ship systems shutdown, it obviously doesn't include artificial gravity?

The Daedalus had to undergo a full systems shut down for several seconds. Now as far as life support, the crew can go for a few seconds without that....but for AG, shouldn't they at least have started floating off the floor for a few seconds?
Those kind of SFX were not in the budget.

To be serious for a second, yes, but then there's SO much wrong with that episode I don't even know where to begin. So I'll just start with...

So the Daedelus supposedly went to Earth (off screen of course) and, one assumes, had all sorts of techies scurrying about, inside, and around it, both Human and Asgard, and no one noticed anything untoward to indicate this AI Virus was there?

Not a single diagnostic, of which you know dozens would have been run since this is a NEW STARSHIP, if only to see how it held up in it's first flight picked up this alien attachment?

Puh-lease!

Keyword: ALIEN ATTACHMENT. That kind of thing would get noticed as it infiltrated the syste, unless the Daedelus has not protective subsystems like firewalls or such. Which just doesn't compute. I don't care what the script writer's think makes for good drama, that was just a bad and poorly thought out plot point.

BTW let's not forget it has been established in previous episodes that regular data downlinks are SOP, that means the Daedelus database should have been downlinked to an Earth based computer, if only to go over their recent data. Something that one assumes the script writers didn't think through the implications of when they lifted this plot from last week's BSG.

And... and...

Serves them right for using Windows.

Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 11:45 AM   #3
kapollo
Shuttle Pilot

Big Grin

Yeah it's weird, but then it's sci-fi Let's say that the virus was jumping around from starfighter to starfighter during the diagnostics, or lets say it hidden itself in the toilet just behind the mirror straaaaanger things happened in both stargates :P

bye
kapollo

PS again my english, if bad sorry, if good ... thats good :>
kapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2005, 04:14 PM   #4
kapollo
Shuttle Pilot

btw about the other aspects of the s02e02
I don't know how about you but I really don't like parts like this one, one that brings nothing new to the story line.

But one positive thing about that episode was hermiod (or similiar, anyway Asgard aboard) his mumbling uder the nose, and commentswas really the thing that cought my attention during this episode. I almost fealt like o'neil in asgard skin :P
cheers kapollo
kapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #5
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapollo
But one positive thing about that episode was hermiod (or similiar, anyway Asgard aboard) his mumbling uder the nose, and commentswas really the thing that cought my attention during this episode. I almost fealt like o'neil in asgard skin :P
I agree. I find Her*mummble* a rather amusing addition. Inspite of the fact his presence sort of throws established continuity out the window in that the Asgard have refused to get indirectly, much less directly, involved with the SGC. Then again it's not like the writer's of SGA have given any of the background established in SG-1 a first thought, much less a second one, but at least I've not changed the channel or stopped watching after the first 10 minutes so far this season....
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote