Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 25th, 2004, 08:00 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default My BSG: Destiny book review

I've read it here's my review it does contain SPOILERS!!!

Destiny is a BIG improvement on the last two books, there don't appear to be any glaring story continuity errors and the book looks like it was actually edited by someone.

The cover is very good, Bob Larkin making up for his piss-poor attempt with Paradis.

The overall story thread, the fleet having to leave 800 people behind in sublight ships and the lottery to see who stays and who goes is very compelling.

Every character seems to get a fair crack of the whip, and the book isn't Apollo-centric, a criticism of the other books.

Baltar, as in the previous book is the standout character and once again you can believe that John Colicos would say those words and you can imagine Colicos's facial ticks and mannerisms. I liked the character's overall arc which stays true to the BSG mandate of good triumphing over evil.

At the end of the book you're definitely left with the feeling that you want to read the next book ASAP!!!

The one major gripe I have with the book is that once again Drs Salik and Wilker are still doing the wrong jobs and I'm at a loss to explain why this has continued when Richard Hatch had George Murdock playing Salik as a doctor in his Second Coming trailer!

The revelation about Iblis's genetic manipulation of the Cylons is an interesting plot thread but believing that the manipulation took place on Kobol which is where HUMAN life began is frankly really hard to believe, unless the Cylons were the reason why the human race left Kobol in the first place, the serpents in the garden of Eden.

There are still some Earth words where Galactican words should be used.

For most of the book it's hard to believe that Troy is actually Apollo's (adopted) son because they don't realy have any interaction and Troy never calls Apollo father.

One final word, it was good to see the Cassiopeia/Apollo thread dropped (which I found unbelievable) and what seems to be a resumption of the Apollo/Sheba relationship.

All in all I'd give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Peter
Old July 25th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #2
Winemaster
Shuttle Pilot

I always believed Iblis was a being of light that went bad. From W of G this is clear. I never accepted Hatch's contention that Iblis was as human as the Colonials at any point.
To me he was born and lived at a higher plane of existance all his life.
Winemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #3
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Peter from what I recall of the previous books, Iblis was banished from Kobol and made his way to the Cylon's homeworld where he infused them with his DNA. This is why the IL has his voice.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #4
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Peter from what I recall of the previous books, Iblis was banished from Kobol and made his way to the Cylon's homeworld where he infused them with his DNA. This is why the IL has his voice.
Kingfish, on page 83 of Destiny it reads: "Baltar saw Count Iblis arrive on the arid, desert planet Kobol that was the home world of the reptillian race he would use to create the Cylons."

Of course the Kobol reference could be a mistake on the authors' part.

Peter
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:35 AM   #5
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Hi all,

Can´t type too much when I´m in a cyber cafe - it costs !!!!

Is it me, or is it the case that this latest book has received next to no promotion ?
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:37 AM   #6
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Hi all,

Can´t type too much when I´m in a cyber cafe - it costs !!!!

Is it me, or is it the case that this latest book has received next to no promotion ?
I thought that was par for the course with the BSG books.

Peter
Old July 26th, 2004, 07:07 AM   #7
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
I've read it here's my review it does contain SPOILERS!!!

Destiny is a BIG improvement on the last two books, there don't appear to be any glaring story continuity errors and the book looks like it was actually edited by someone.

The cover is very good, Bob Larkin making up for his piss-poor attempt with Paradis.

The overall story thread, the fleet having to leave 800 people behind in sublight ships and the lottery to see who stays and who goes is very compelling.

Every character seems to get a fair crack of the whip, and the book isn't Apollo-centric, a criticism of the other books.

Baltar, as in the previous book is the standout character and once again you can believe that John Colicos would say those words and you can imagine Colicos's facial ticks and mannerisms. I liked the character's overall arc which stays true to the BSG mandate of good triumphing over evil.

At the end of the book you're definitely left with the feeling that you want to read the next book ASAP!!!

The one major gripe I have with the book is that once again Drs Salik and Wilker are still doing the wrong jobs and I'm at a loss to explain why this has continued when Richard Hatch had George Murdock playing Salik as a doctor in his Second Coming trailer!

The revelation about Iblis's genetic manipulation of the Cylons is an interesting plot thread but believing that the manipulation took place on Kobol which is where HUMAN life began is frankly really hard to believe, unless the Cylons were the reason why the human race left Kobol in the first place, the serpents in the garden of Eden.

For most of the book it's hard to believe that Troy is actually Apollo's (adopted) son because they don't realy have any interaction and Troy never calls Apollo father.

One final word, it was good to see the Cassiopeia/Apollo thread dropped (which I found unbelievable) and what seems to be a resumption of the Apollo/Sheba relationship.

All in all I'd give this book 4 out of 5 stars.

Peter
Thank you Peter for reviewing the book. I always find what you
have to say insightful. again thank you.
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:25 AM   #8
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

First of all, I have not read the book, but I always like some tidbits about them before I read!! I will be getting it in the next two weeks...

as to the Kobol mention, when did Iblis' arrival happen? Obviously, Baltar was around to see it according to that quote, but how in the world did Baltar see that? He had never been to Kobol until the events in Lost Planet of the Gods...

Not only that, but would reptilian creatures live in an arid, dry desert??? Seems to me they would be more at home in a wet, swampy place...

I think that "Cylon" should have been in the quote instead of Kobol...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #9
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charybdis
as to the Kobol mention, when did Iblis' arrival happen? Obviously, Baltar was around to see it according to that quote, but how in the world did Baltar see that? He had never been to Kobol until the events in Lost Planet of the Gods...
You'll just have to read the book!

Peter
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:34 PM   #10
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default A thing about the Earth words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble

Peter

Hello, Peter.

Judging by your review, I shall have to give this one a read.

If I may point out something about the use of Earth words in Galactica novels...if you've read the novel for Saga of a Star World, you will find the novel rife with Earth words. (minute, year, heck, and even a couple of expletives) Not a single centon, or micron. It raises the question: Which came first? The novel? The movie?

Sometimes, I wonder if Mr. Larson actually liked terms like "micron" or "centon"?

If anything, Mr. Hatch was probably emulating some of Mr. Larson's style.

In any case, thanks for providing us with the review. I will read this story when I get a chance.

Respectfully,
Martok2112