Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > ART Work - In Progress
Notices

Old November 8th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #1
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Default Battlestar in progress

Howdy,
Well this is my first official art posting. In my spare time I am working on BG animated sequence that will involve both the old and new series. My nephew is a huge fan , so I am doing it for him as a present, complete with shots of him greenscreened into a viper cockpit. This is Steve Wilsons mesh and I believe it was the best one I could find. ( if you know a better one please let me know ) Re texturing and few add ons and fix ups give what have you see today. This is not complete. Still texture work to do and lights etc.Rather than stay exactly with originality, I have taken a small amount of personal indulgence and given it a darker look. I also have a new viper to show off later. All your feedback is welcome and hope I can help out. Keep ya posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battlestar so far.jpg (285.2 KB, 56 views)
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:13 AM   #2
gmd3d
Major

Cool .. I like the additions .. add to the sense of scale for the Galactica ... Steve is a member here so he love to see your work . there is none better available
I am involved in a fan film project and I am building the Celestra at the moment ..the Celestra is going to be followed by the Rising star and the Prison barge ...
You can have a look by following the link in my signature and see the trailer.....
looking forward to seen more of you work .

"The world is my country, science my religion.”
gmd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks buddy,
Yeah I did my best looking at all gal available, and Steves was far the best. Wouldnt mind touching base with him and have a yak about his work. I checked out that trailer a few days ago. Impressive work. Ive had a great involvement in the film industry so I know what it takes. Best ive seen of any. Tell me, is that Gal at the beginning of the trailer a new model, existing model or the old footage. It certainly has a diiferant look than the other CGI footage . Regardless I watched more than just few times. Would lovve to get involved in some degree. So what about your modelling..........got any pics to show. Im always after good modellers.

Another thing, do you know of any Viper launch tube meshes available. If I have to I will build one, but modelling is not my forte and rebuilding an existing one would be preferance.

Thanks for your comments and catch ya later

Herc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Cool .. I like the additions .. add to the sense of scale for the Galactica ... Steve is a member here so he love to see your work . there is none better available
I am involved in a fan film project and I am building the Celestra at the moment ..the Celestra is going to be followed by the Rising star and the Prison barge ...
You can have a look by following the link in my signature and see the trailer.....
looking forward to seen more of you work .
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM   #4
gmd3d
Major

The Galactica in the opening shot is a CGI . its a lightwave model . done by a member here "WESTY" . Its not for general release and I think he is still working on the under carriage area .. I love to get my hand on it.. ..

were always looking for more help .. even if it's advice ...

My Celestra thread is here .. its my second model iv built

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=13429

Old November 9th, 2006, 10:50 AM   #5
SilentBob
Warrior

Lookin' good, man!!!!
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #6
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

I actually posted this in finished art, but made a boo boo. Should of been here. This is a comp trying a few ideas. The lighting is off as I did this pretty quicly from max to after fx. Im thinking maybe I will add the newer vipers instead to this, but cant find a max version and have trouble converting the lightwave. Too much work right now.

Hope ya like it....................I may animate this over the weekend just to see how it looks. Also I will change the engine effect and add something more like the new vipers effect.....................I think it will look less cartoony.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galactica comp 1.jpg (390.1 KB, 53 views)
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:06 PM   #7
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Great Images......

Looking forwards to animations.....

This is a great contribution to the fanbase.....
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #8
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Thanks buddy........................im glad to be here and glad to add to the Fleets work. I actually have wanted to a BG project for years. Its my intention to produce something along the lines of Foundations Imagerys Demo trailer. I think I can pull it off......................what ya reakon ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
Great Images......

Looking forwards to animations.....

This is a great contribution to the fanbase.....
Old November 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM   #9
gmd3d
Major

Awesome image very clean .. type of picture I have yet to do .. perhaps in the future

Old November 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #10
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Thank you sir. If you would like some help or tutition, then Im you rman. Maybe hook up on skype someday. Would be only too happy to help out. I lecture in Max at college. Freebie buddy.....................the offer is there.

Quote:
Awesome image very clean .. type of picture I have yet to do .. perhaps in the future
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #11
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Its my intention to produce something along the lines of Foundations Imagerys Demo trailer. I think I can pull it off......................what ya reakon ?
I absolutely believe in you.

Oh, and try and convince some of your students to animate some osBSG stuff !
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #12
KJ
Strike Leader

The Galactica's rear butt is too fat?

She *needs* to be more streamlined! And the Vipers should be smaller even the ones in the foreground! Scale ain't easy to achieve but it should be a vital plot point to make out here guys. The Galactica should always be a big vessel/starship, and things like Vipers and shuttles should be very tiny by comparison. **VERY TINY**

Other than that point to make, nice CGI art anyways.

KJ
Old November 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #13
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

God, dont get me going...................ha ha !. As for the BGs ass................well this is a new interpretation and in all honesty, I like it the way it is. Scale is fine as far as Im concerned. The vipers fit in the launch tubes. Just aint any to far away to be seen in this shot. In any case thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason

The Galactica's rear butt is too fat?

She *needs* to be more streamlined! And the Vipers should be smaller even the ones in the foreground! Scale ain't easy to achieve but it should be a vital plot point to make out here guys. The Galactica should always be a big vessel/starship, and things like Vipers and shuttles should be very tiny by comparison. **VERY TINY**

Other than that point to make, nice CGI art anyways.

KJ
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #14
KJ
Strike Leader

Alright then, but the Galactica might get a name change to "Battlestar Homer Simpson" if your not careful enough!

KJ
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:57 AM   #15
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Herc
Looks great. I don't know if you have this link but there are a number of meshes you might find usefull
http://www.colonialfleets.com/stevew/Meshes/

I did a lot of updates buu most are small details. I am going to do closeups this weekend
http://www.colonialfleets.com/stevew/BSG/Big06.jpg
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM   #16
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Yeah thanks mate, I did get that link for you meshes a few days ago. So much to see and so much potential. So what are the updates you did ? What are you using to build em? and ........................when did you build the BG.
I have found a number of small problems with the pylons, which probably happend in the conversion..................been a hassle for me as Im not a modeller. Looking forward to see ing more of your work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevew
Herc
Looks great. I don't know if you have this link but there are a number of meshes you might find usefull
http://www.colonialfleets.com/stevew/Meshes/

I did a lot of updates buu most are small details. I am going to do closeups this weekend
http://www.colonialfleets.com/stevew/BSG/Big06.jpg
S
Old November 15th, 2006, 01:13 PM   #17
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I use Solidworks for all my modeling. When I convert them to polygon models there are sometimes problems but I try and purge as amny as I can. I also use TS for rendering so the meshes are TS and need to be converted to other pgms.
I am looking into getting a SW module from Okino that I hope will convert directly to native formats , that should make them much easier to use but I don't know yet. I have been using STL for conversion but it is a messy format and causes problems,
The detail is small on the top but there is a lot but hard to see
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 06:40 PM   #18
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

KJ, I think it's an odd (unusual angle) perspective that's foreshortened everything, the vipers look too short too, especially the noses. If it's the same model as in SteveW's avatar, it has to be the angle the ship is at in the still and the point of view making it look like it's some sort of forced perspective.

Looking forward to seeing the animation on this. Textures are looking good.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:16 AM   #19
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Howdy Jewels,
Thanks for your comments mate. The stills I often include in my post at most 3d sites are taken from animated sequences. This pic you see was set up for animation and not just set up for one beauty shot still. I can understand you thinking though. In any case this pic was only intended to see a combo of the meshes Im working on and to set up a sequence. A look and feel so to speak. Nothing more right now. Keeps the comments coming. Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
KJ, I think it's an odd (unusual angle) perspective that's foreshortened everything, the vipers look too short too, especially the noses. If it's the same model as in SteveW's avatar, it has to be the angle the ship is at in the still and the point of view making it look like it's some sort of forced perspective.

Looking forward to seeing the animation on this. Textures are looking good.
Old November 16th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #20
gmd3d
Major

Thanks for the offer for free lessons ..... one I am through with the modeling I want to get back to the Rendering side of things ...... bty have you checked out the fan film trailer .. if you have knowledge of animation we could sure use additional help ..

Old November 16th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #21
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Thanks for the offer for free lessons ..... one I am through with the modeling I want to get back to the Rendering side of things ...... bty have you checked out the fan film trailer .. if you have knowledge of animation we could sure use additional help ..
Yes buddy, I have watch it over and over. Just love it. wonderful approach and some stunning images. As for animation......................doh, that what I am.............an animator. I have done a lot of work in outer space over the years and have my own ideas and approach. Would be only to happy to add some input. We could chat on skype about it if ya like. Pm me and let me know and I will give ya my details. If ya dont have skype. Its free, www.skype.com
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #22
Kaderith
Shuttle Pilot

Nicely done..
Kaderith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:53 AM   #23
animaniac
BSG-Maniac

Great Work Man, definatly the best old Battlestar-Picture i have ever seen!
animaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 12:57 AM   #24
HercDestin
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by animaniac
Great Work Man, definatly the best old Battlestar-Picture i have ever seen!
Ok how much do I owe you......................thanks mate. If ya liked this, just wait for the animation. I might post someting tonight for you to see.