Old December 7th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #1
yoyo85
Bad Email Address

Default challenge - design a new battlestar type

Hi all, i would like to ask if anyone would design me a battlestar that is:

> 2/5's bigger than the new Galactica.
> an overall new galactica feel to it.
> Fully armoured all over in Crome.
> Has an ''original Galactica'' single engine but more rounded,and flowing like new galactica.
> Also the engine has 2 additional Afterbunner pods on the side (1 either side of the main engine) - that apear come-out of the main engine. (like pegasus but without the front 'coil/wire')
> A more stubby nose than galactica.
> and has the old galactica's, in-trenched turret housing bit on the side of the forward section.

Sound like a challenge??? :-)
yoyo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 10:37 PM   #2
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Why?
gpdesigner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Why?
Yup!
Old December 9th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #4
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

Hello Everybody, I would like to ask if anyone would design ME a shoebox That is:

* 2x the size of a normal size 10 shoe.
* an overall new cardboard box feel to it.
* Fully armoured all over in plastic.
* Has an original Florsheim Box texture but flows like something from Reebok.
* Also the box needs to have 2 additional flaps ( 1 one either side ) that apear to
hold shoe laces, not the polyester kind but real cotton laces.
* the box needs to have a shorter end to it sloped like a ladies high heel shoe.
* And has an original leather bottom to the box so it won't scratch my hard wood
floors.

Sound like a challelenge ??? :-)

or I could just build my own box the way I want it . . . .
even more of a challelenge . . . .
Old December 9th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #5
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

IMO, the challenge idea wasn't a bad one. The target was probably flawed. It should have been something more along the lines of:

CHALLENGE: Design a logical Colonial Destroyer that would serve as a fleet support ship in major battles but could operate independently for smaller operations that didn't warrant sending a battlestar.

Some folks have played around with this sort of a thing in the past but for the most part, these have been parts of Battlestars hacked apart and redistributed. I don't think anyone has really sat down and tried to logically work out the other ships that would logically have been in the fleet.

Sandy
Old December 10th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #6
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

You Know, when I wrote those responses I guss I was a bit out of sorts. A lot of issues going on that day, I had my hands full. Plus, maybe I was just expressing some latent feelings I have about the rules on this site for downloading meshes versus posting requirements.

I am still very new here so maybe I have no room for gripping, but doesn't it just piss people off here that people just drop in make a few rendom posts just to meet the download requirements, grab a couple of Meshes then take off . . . ?
Doesn't this just send you all up the walls . . ?

I mean it's nice people drop in and check out everyons art work, the post the ususal comments, "great job keep it up" or "nice going" or "Impressive work" . .
Lets take eric7156 for example:
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...searchid=47283
6 posts all made today, . . . . do you think we will see ol' eric again?
But I am sure he downloaded something . . . .

or How about Master_M in September 21 and 22nd:
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...searchid=47284
Haven't seen him in weeks . . . .
funny how six posts is the magic number.

You know what TBC, you are right about the Challenge, if you would have made it, maybe I would have taken it seriously.
However I pulled up yoyo85's page:
http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...searchid=47285
and it just looked like more of the same to me.
Plus, his post didn't come off right in the way I read it. To me it seemed like someone was just trying to get a custome made mesh from any dummy who would build it.
A lot of time and effort go into building a good model, I am sure you know that, . . .
would you just up and build a mesh for someone for nothing. . . . ?

That may not be what he meant but that is the way I read his post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo85
Hi all, i would like to ask if anyone would design me a battlestar
Anyway, like I said, I was having an off day, I don't have too many of them so I feel a bit guilty, not a lot guilty, just a bit
gp
Old December 19th, 2005, 09:28 AM   #7
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Well, IMO, I'd like to find a way to indicate intent in the subject line... whether we're talking about the NEW show or the OLD show.

I, for one, am completely uninterested in the new show. I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm saying that I just don't ive a rip about it. Yes, I've seen a few episodes. I just don't care.

The old show, on the other hand, is what I come here for. And I know that the majority of stuff about the new show is kept to an absolute minimum here (except, as you say, when posted by "hit and run" contributors).

But its just a little needle every time i open a thread to find ou that its about the new show... wasted time waiting for the thing to popup on screen, wasted time reading a few lines. It all adds up. It may not seem like it, but I have limited time to be here and I'd like to find a way to eliminate the felgercarb. Aint none of us getting any younger!

But we live in an imperfect world. I know there's really no way to get around it. Just wanted to waste a little more time griping about it! :P

-Gordon
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM   #8
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

… dude, what are you on about . . . ha ha ha ha "OMG" I am laughing so hard it is unbelieveable. Sorry gang, I just had a fight with my wife . . . . I know I promissed I wouldn't out burst again but this is just screaming for a slam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Well, IMO, I'd like to find a way to indicate intent in the subject line... whether we're talking about the NEW show or the OLD show.
I think he is just looking for a Battlestar period. I don't think he is interested in TNS or TOS, just something different in design than what is done already. He gave perameters for the design mentioning the nu Galactica, but he also mentioned the old Galactica as well. No "intent on a subject line" is needed. . . .
This is not a flame battle over TNS and TOS so don't turn it into one please . . .
This is a flame over building free 3d models . . . (maybe)

Quote:
I, for one, am completely uninterested in the new show. I'm not saying that it's bad, I'm saying that I just don't ive a rip about it. Yes, I've seen a few episodes. I just don't care.
good for you . . . next!

Quote:
The old show, on the other hand, is what I come here for. And I know that the majority of stuff about the new show is kept to an absolute minimum here (except, as you say, when posted by "hit and run" contributors). But its just a little needle every time i open a thread to find ou that its about the new show... wasted time waiting for the thing to popup on screen, wasted time reading a few lines. It all adds up. It may not seem like it, but I have limited time to be here and I'd like to find a way to eliminate the felgercarb. Aint none of us getting any younger!
Ummm . . . I have a question . . . What part of "challenge - design a new battlestar type"
Gave you the impression this was about the OLD Series? Or any series for that matter?

This just gets better and better . . . . . . you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

Quote:
But we live in an imperfect world. I know there's really no way to get around it. Just wanted to waste a little more time griping about it! :P
-Gordon
griping is good . . . I like griping . . just pick the right subject, I think what happened is you missed your target thread and hit this one by mistake. Your dislike for TNS has clouded your mouse pointer and your not clicking straight.
Just let it go Gordon . . . . . Take a deep breath, relax and release . .
Don't worry Gordon, you are still my favorite . . . .

gp
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:39 PM   #9
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I'm glad I gave you such a hearty laugh.

-Gordon
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM   #10
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Oh yes, and any time you'd like me to stand in as whipping post instead of your wife, just let me know.

It'll be office rates.

-G
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #11
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

How about something more like this for a challenge:

Redesign the Cylon gun platform to be something a bit more ... well, cool.

Make it a grav gun platform with a pilot and gunner, similar to the image shown here (from our friends at www.wegottafindearth.com).

I used a grav version of one of these on the first Exodus CD and wouldn't mind seeing how some of the skilled artists around here could bring this from the 1980s theme park into the 21st Century CG world.

Anyone up for that that challenge?

Sandy
Old December 19th, 2005, 02:58 PM   #12
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I dunno TBC,

That little crawler is the perfect example of early 1980's coolness. Sure, it looks more like it belongs on the set of Buck Rogers than Battlestar Galactica, but it has a little unassuming Universal slap-dash charm to it.

-Gordon
Old December 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #13
gpdesigner
Email Unconfirmed

OK TBC . . . .
I take that challenge . . . I am by no means an artist, but i will give it a go. I will have to do it after the holidays, but you are on

just because you asked . . .
gp