Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 13th, 2002, 06:34 AM   #1
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDBattlestar Galactica
Revivalist

Default We Do Matter

I posted this over at Sci Fi and thought I'd share it here as well.

It is amazing that there are suddenly the new names here (and at Sci Fi) telling us it's over... give up, Ron has won and there is nothing you can do.

Frankly, aside from not believing that, I will continue protesting this up to, and beyond this production, if it actually happens.

Why, because Ron Moore does not know what made Battlestar special to the viewers. He wants to create A Show, and Battlestar is his means. He seems to think if there are a few familiar elements like names, now just call signals, and recognizable ships that we'll all be happy and love him.

Guess what, it was not the special effects alone or the mythologically influenced names that hooked us. It was the characters (their characteristics), their struggle, and the adventures that they took us through. The effects were nice, true, but that wouldn't hold the audience for 20+ years. (Buck Rogers had pretty effects too... who's really wanting that back?)

We love those characters that were created in that series. They are special. We know over 2 decades have passed and we wnat to see them where they are now, with the new younger characters who would have grown in space and joined the adventure.

Universal, you had a man who knows how to bridge the old with the new. Please the original fans while pulling in new ones. He also happened to produce a multi-million dollar franchise for another studio (I'm sure Fox is loving the millions he pulled in for them).

Please Universal... don't let this be the final nail in the coffin of Battlestar (do you want that?) Make this the grand rebirth that it should be, that the fans have been waiting for and will amaze the non-fans into watching. You have the opportunity.

Why would you turn away from the chance to have Tom DeSanto turn this into the multi million dollar franchise you want this to be.

The fans want him... have faith in him... and he has proven his ability.

Thanks for listening,

Dave
David Kerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 06:35 AM   #2
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Default Also... for those who say we don't matter.

If you have a product you are changing or re-inventing, say Coke into New Coke, wouldn't you love to have a place where you can find users of old Coke, bounce ideas off them, even let them sample your changes, and hear what they think? (marketing 101)

As Coca-Cola, wouldn't you want to keep your current customers happy, or even make them happier, while getting more customers with a newer exciting product? (finance 101)

Doesn't Coke wish they could have had this back in the 80's? Could have saved them millions and pointed them in the right direction.

Where do you think the people in charge of the money might go to see how their new Battlestar product is being received. Hmmm, now where can they find fans of their original product to see how their new and "improved" product may work out.

Don't believe them that it's over. We do matter.

We know the ingredients needed for a successful and improved product. Tom DeSanto has the recipe, lets get him in the kitchen.

(that's the recipe for Battlestar Galactica of course... not "New Coke" -- Just in case someone was confused)

Dave
Old December 13th, 2002, 06:37 AM   #3
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Great post David, I have said the same thing but in far fewer and less elegant words. A mix of Old and new is the best way IMHO
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 07:15 AM   #4
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Bravo, David. Very well said. Love the Coke analogy. I don't think they even sell New Coke here, if they sell it anywhere, but Cherry & Vanilla and Caffiene free do well. Hmm, even Coke got more in touch with their market when they went back to their CLASSIC elements.:z:
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #5
newt
Warrior

Default Galactica Classic

I love the Coke analogy! So we'll have "New" Galactica, the fans will still be upset, forcing Universal to bring back "Galactica Classic"! Original Formula!

When was teh last time that you were able to buy "New Coke" anyway? I think they redid it again and called it Coke II, then dropped it.

To summarize:

Original Coke = TOS
New Coke = Galactica 1980
Cherry Coke = Galactica 1980 Return of Starbuck episode
Coke II =Moore's version
Coca Cola Classic (test trials) = The Second Coming
Coca Cola Classic = The DeSanto version
Diet Coke: Larson's Pegasus Project
Diet Coke with Lemon: Larson's Pegasus project without walking vipers (tastes better, better than Coke II, but still nowhere near Coke Classic)
Vanilla Coke: Fan fiction
Caffiene Free Coke: Hatch's Novels (good but missing a kick)

Running out orf coke analogies...

Greg
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:45 AM   #6
crash4587
Bad Email Address

Have a COKE and a smile (Ronnie babby leaves and Tom gets Galactica Back!) :cowboy:
crash4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 09:47 AM   #7
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

yes, that would be the best Christmas gift that this fan base could get.

owd
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 12:12 PM   #8
The Blue Mule
Warrior

LOL that was Freaking Funny!!

Laters

Rich
NYC
Old December 13th, 2002, 12:37 PM   #9
Artemis
Warrior

Yuck Pepsi, RC has them both beat.
Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 12:51 PM   #10
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Frankly I would prefer a beer LOL
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 12:52 PM   #11
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Galactica Classic

Newt those were wonderful!!!! but I have to differ with you on a minor (VERY minor) point
Quote:
Originally posted by newt

Caffiene Free Coke: Hatch's Novels (good but missing a kick)
That battle over, in, through, and out of Kobol in Resurrection had some pretty intense kick. Especially the city that fights back, um, "reflectively" as it were.

Well, maybe that's not kick 'cause we had to read it instead of see it, How about all the flavor and only the sugar rush??? LOL

Jewels (who actually prefers Pepsi or Dr. Pepper when she falls off the liquid caffeine wagon)

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old December 13th, 2002, 03:47 PM   #12
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Sadly, I don't think we DO matter, at least not where it counts. Several thousand screaming fans can't make a sound that can be heard by the powers that be.
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2002, 04:04 PM   #13
David Kerin
Warrior Ace

Colonial Fan ForceArtist
Colonial Fan Force
Revivalist

Default Maybe not screaming...

Maybe not screaming, but a couple thousand writing fans would be noticed. (the snail mail kind of writing)

No guarantee that it will bring about the change we want, but if we do nothing we are guaranteed to fail.
Old December 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM   #14
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Great post David! I love the analogy

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2002, 05:32 AM   #15
Afan2
Bad Email Address

LOL

Quote:
Sadly, I don't think we DO matter, at least not where it counts. Several thousand screaming fans can't make a sound that can be heard by the powers that be.
...Yet every little whisper that comes out of Languatron or a random troll shifts their plans drastically.
It must be a Zen thing.
Afan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2002, 07:04 AM   #16
newt
Warrior

Default Re: Re: Galactica Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels

That battle over, in, through, and out of Kobol in Resurrection had some pretty intense kick. Especially the city that fights back, um, "reflectively" as it were.

Well, maybe that's not kick 'cause we had to read it instead of see it, How about all the flavor and only the sugar rush??? LOL

Actually I have to admit I haven't read Hatch's novels. Maybe we should replace Caffiene free Coke with Jolt in this case?!
Old December 14th, 2002, 06:24 PM   #17
KJ
Strike Leader

Not to spoil it for you Newt but, i've read the first two and looked through the Resurrection novel while in book shops and you won't like what happens to the Pegasus in Resurrection!!!.....

Apart from the Kobollian bloodline stuff the novels are good to read. But only the first two seem to be of interest to me. Not sure if i would continue reading the others. Hatch did pull a Moore with the hold "Change character sex" and make Rigel a Man? in "Warhawk" not to mention the bizarre Iblis origin thing as well!

True, nice Coke analogy funny

KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2002, 01:02 PM   #18
Krystal
Bad Email Address

Default Re: We Do Matter

Great post David, and well said. You put what we think in great sentences.

Krystal
Krystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2002, 02:29 PM   #19
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Re: Re: Galactica Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by newt

Actually I have to admit I haven't read Hatch's novels. Maybe we should replace Caffiene free Coke with Jolt in this case?!
That would be about the adrenaline level! I looked back: If you take the beginning of the confrontation with Iblis to the hyperspace jump at the end of the battle, 73 nonstop pages. Jolt it is!

KJ: Also, have heard that the Rigel thing was an honest name mix up with Omega, no sex change intended (but Sarah might have had some fun giving Richard a hard time about it way back when ).
Jewels

Last edited by jewels; December 15th, 2002 at 02:34 PM..
Old December 15th, 2002, 05:51 PM   #20
KJ
Strike Leader

Maybe jewels, but how do you explain his, from what i've read briefly the **THE YOU kNOW WHAT** he did to the Pegasus in Resurrection? From what i gather things get harded for the Colonials but damn, it doesn't get any better either.

They should bring out the rest of the novels in paperback? Whats taking so long! Why only "Armageddon" in paperback and not the other three? And when are we going to get self contained stories. the first two are great but, from what i've read, novels three and four in shops those two aren't as good. Why is this great franchise not cared for by those who run it. Tons of Star Wars, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Farscape novels and others. Not a big enough sign to the TPTB that we want the same.Lazy bunch they could at least make novels out of the unproduced scripts "The Beta Pirates", "Showdown", "Two for Twilly", "The Munity", "I Have Seen Earth", "Final Flight", "Fire in space" (The original version)

Seems we got Cherry & Vanilla favor Pepsi too. "Cherry & Vanilla Pepsi" = "Not enough Battlestar Galactica Novels market"

KJ

I've read a little of Rebellion in shops too but, i'll stick with the first two till things in BG future look a little better.

Last edited by KJ; December 15th, 2002 at 05:57 PM..
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote