Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:11 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Is this affecting your SCIFI Channel viewing?

I think its affecting my overall viewing of SciFi Channel.

After all the screwing we've been getting from "the powers that be", which is mostly Bonnie Hammer and the SciFi Channel, I haven't enjoyed watching that channel.

I've been a scifi geek for a long time. Got a fairly normal life now, but I still love scifi and will give most scifi endeavors a chance. But we've been really treated horribly by the Scifi Channel management. And its hard to forget that when you see that scifi logo on the screen.

My viewing of scifi channels shows has dropped dramatically.

I don't bother to watch new scifi channel shows. And I don't even watch reruns of shows I once loved. I've even missed new Stargate episodes, and I LOVE stargate! I'm not trying to avoid scifi....I just seem to end up doing other things...

Its not a personal choice, or a political statement or any sort of intentional boycott. Its just watching shows on scifi reminds me of Hammer's BG powerplays, especially when I see that logo on the screen and all those scifi spot ads. And well... scifi just don't seem entertaining anymore.

Its kinda like trying to watch Martin Sheen on West Wing after he made some political statements that offended people. Can't watch him portray the president of the US now. Its not credible. Its not entertaining. I can't get into it no more.

Anyone else feel the same?

***edit: This is a Battlestar Galactica forum. The Sheen/West Wing example was used in relation to this topic. Its not meant as a political discussion for debate here. Please debate Sheen in another thread elsewhere. Thank you.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:15 PM   #2
Erzengel

where does one go to see ratings/viewship information?
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:25 PM   #3
Hito
Warrior

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Nope.

But then I dont usualy watch Sci-Fi for anything but Stargate SG-1 and a few shows in Re-Run or mebby special presentations like Children of Dune.
Hito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 12:30 PM   #4
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
by Thomas7g I'm not trying to avoid scifi....I just seem to end up doing other things...
Happens to all of us, whether we like it or not.

KJ

Last edited by KJ; April 2nd, 2003 at 12:35 PM..
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:41 PM   #5
Philloz

Default Re: Is this affecting your SCIFI Channel viewing?

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas7g
I think its affecting my overall viewing of SciFi Channel. ...
My viewing of scifi channels shows has dropped dramatically.
Yes, it's affected my viewing as well. Last thing I watched was Children of Dune ... haven't watched a single show on Sci Fi since.

Quote:
Originally posted by thomas7g
Its kinda like trying to watch Martin Sheen on West Wing after he went on and made a unrepetant jerk of himself protesting our soldiers in Iraq.
It is unproductive to bring up political topics here ... if you haven't looked at the Usenet lately, horribly vitriolic flame wars over Iraq have taken over a variety of newsgroups that used to be relative safe havens ... alt.movies.monster, for instance, used to be devoted to discussion about the rubber-suited antics of Godzilla and company, but now it's an ideological battleground. The posters are so busy calling each other nasty names over whether or not we should be in Iraq that the titanic announcement that Peter Jackson (director of "The Lord of the Rings") was going to be directing a new remake of "King Kong" has been almost totally overlooked. We woudn't want things to get like that here.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:52 PM   #6
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I've got Children of Dune taped (I haven't had time to watch it yet). But, except for things like that, I don't watch it anymore.

It seems to me that "Sci-Fi Channel" is misnamed, anyway. A better name might be the "Horror Channel". There really isn't much science fiction left on there.

IMHO, anyway.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 01:58 PM   #7
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Hell over here

The Taken wasn't shown on sci-fi but BBC 2 instead? No wonder i missed it now i got to wait till it shown from the beginning.

But it just goes to show you The Sci-fi Channel's gotten slack, even the classic run shows aren't shown anymore? without the classics TV series shows, Sci-fi Channel = Boring!

KJ
Old April 2nd, 2003, 02:02 PM   #8
XANATOS

yes it has
after far scape was murdered
and this peace of crap rip off
they are calling galactica
the si fi channel universal R.D.M. BONNIE

MILTON AND HIS TREKIE SCUM

CAN ALL GO TO HE*LL AND BE RAPED BY THE DEVIL

XANATOS
Old April 2nd, 2003, 02:17 PM   #9
XANATOS

PS I DO NOT INCLUDE ALL FANS OF STAR TREK
I AM A S.T. FAN MY SELF
ONLY THE ONES WHO HAVE SUPPORTED
THE DESTRUCTION OF GALACTICA

XANATOS
Old April 2nd, 2003, 04:50 PM   #10
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Xanatos-
I agree that I don't like the new production too...

but please keep the flaming of other boards and their members off our boards. It only brings alot of flaming over here.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 05:02 PM   #11
XANATOS

ok

XANATOS
Old April 2nd, 2003, 05:04 PM   #12
JediMasterGynac
Bad Email Address

Default Thomas7g

Please follow your own advice. I happen to have a great deal of respect for Mr. Sheen and I think you have misunderstood his position.

As far as watching... My cable company hasn't carried SciFi but if it did I would be watching less due to the things they have done.
JediMasterGynac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 06:11 PM   #13
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

I have decided that 'The SciFi Channel' is basically a misnomer, I would agree it has become the 'horror' channel. I've never thought horror or supernatural programming much more than pure escapist drival as it is too easy to go for the cheap thrill or scare. SciFi shows have always appealed to me for the ability to evoke thought on the viewer / fan since the topics tend to address the possibilities of things to come or reflect on our societies condition. I maybe wrong here but the genre 'classics' tend to be real scifi (i.e. TOS, Dr Who, Blakes 7, Outer Limits, etc). I cannot readily think of a 'horror' show that can claim large fan bases that have survived or even grown beyond the demise of the show.

So, to the topic here

With the exception of SG-1, I no longer have any desire to watch the channel at all. I find the current and projected programming to be lacking in interest. The reruns of old shows (i.e. ST) tend to be so chopped by the need for heavy commercials that I cannot enjoy them. I likely will drop SG-1 as well since it is likely to go to DVD and I can always buy it and enjoy it more then (realizing that it will be a couple of years).
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2003, 07:30 PM   #14
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Gynac

Martin Sheen is a public figure stating a very public opinion. Not a member of this or another BG bb board. Our policy is to not flame members on other bb boards.

And that should be the LAST WORD on the subject. This thread is NOT about him, it was just an example. Please take any further debate on Sheen to another thread elsewhere.

And please keep this thread on Battlestar Galactica related topics.
Old April 2nd, 2003, 11:51 PM   #15
KJ
Strike Leader

Thomas P thats a freakish avatar?

It keeps blinking damn it's eerie? You gonna change it in the near future?
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:18 AM   #16
CylonLucifer

Thumbs down Not thrilled with Skiffy's lineup

In 1992, when they began, they really tried to do science fiction right. They aired old series episodes and did look like they were going to be THE science fiction channel. But recent events have changed all that. They've decided that they're going to be the "everything for everyone" channel and I've gotten disgusted with the amount of excrement they're showing and are planning to show.
Should be interesting, too. Skiffy went from a niche channel to a decent scifi channel to a very good scifi channel and now they'll be returning to the niche channel again, without passing through the other -classifications-. I hope they kissed a few butts on their way up because they're passing those same butts on their way down.
Old April 3rd, 2003, 06:47 AM   #17
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Kingjason
Thomas P thats a freakish avatar?

It keeps blinking damn it's eerie? You gonna change it in the near future?
I think the point might be to see if you notice the blink, KJ. It freaked me out when I first saw it too. Sneaky....almost subliminal. I think it's funny. sort of like when I see Thomas' blue flame: I think of a genie.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote