Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old April 24th, 2003, 06:39 AM   #1
Agelastus
Warrior

Unhappy Hmmmm..........

It's been quite a while since I last took a look at these boards (to be brutally honest, it's been a while since I looked in on any of the boards/forums I'm a member of) and I've spent the last couple of hours going over the currently active threads...........................which 90% of could be lumped into one in my opinion.

Message to "retros"-

The ability of fans to affect the continuation of a series appears to be inversely proportional to the length of time since cancellation. The original series is dead (as, lamentably, are to many of the stars who made it what it was. It lives on now only in our memories, and in the fanfics that even such a lazy and occasional writer as myself am now dabbling in. Calm down and give the show we loved the only lease of life it has, the continued warmth in our hearts.

Message to "neos"-

Ron Moore's show may (and in fact probably will) turn out to be a damn fine oiece of twenty-first century television sci-fi. I am looking forward to viewing it, personally. However, it is not Battlestar Galactica, and, in my opinion, was never really intended to be Battlestar Galactica. Anyone who has a smidgeon of knowledge of the original can only come to this conclusion. A title does not a show make.

I am a fan of Battlestar Galactica. I could relate much of the plot and references of every episode verbatim. I have my own opinions on such (these days not very sticky) matters as the Galactica's crew compliment.
I was overjoyed to see that the more respected technical sites had finally realised how big the Galactica had to have been thanks to some excellent research from a truly dedicated fan. When I first signed up for this forum I did it solely to post on a fascinating discussion regarding such issues, even though it appeared to have been dormant for some months. I was looking forward to finding similarly interesting threads this time.

At the moment though, there's only one word to use to describe this particular dedicated furom.

DULL,
Agelastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #2
LordStarFyre
Warrior

Default So it begins

...There are times I hate making Predictions, because I hate it when they come true...

Welcome Agelastus, your arrival here was predicted, by me, just yesterday...

I'm sure you'll have alot of nice fans of Ron Moore to talk to in fairly short order.

I wanted to wish you welcome before I left the "ship"
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:46 AM   #3
Agelastus
Warrior

Interesting.................................

You might note when I joined the board........................

Now, being thick today, was this a "passing the torch message" or an "oh god, another fool."

I look forward to sharing any views with fans of Ron Moore, just as I do with fans of a continuation of the series.

As long as they're related to something worth discussing. Since the new production is now a closed issue to me, and I'm fairly realistic about the chances of a continuation success (especially as, I'm sorry to have to say, Richard Hatch is not god - I've deeply regretted buying even one of his continuation books) I suspect the list of subjects will be short!

Well, having now managed to offend 90% of forum users here (minimum) I'll have to wander off and see if I can find your "prophecy". Depending on the context that could be an interesting thread!:colwar:
Old April 24th, 2003, 09:50 AM   #4
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by LoneWolf
...what's a furom?
Absolutely atrocious spelling on my part, I hang my head in shame.

It should of course be forum.

I tend to trust a personal reread more than a spellchecker, and must have skipped the last bit.

mea culpa.:o
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:09 AM   #5
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Sorry you feel we are dull. If the remake does get made, it will fail. Had RDM thought about calling it something else, he would of had far less heat. I just believe he tried to capalize on the name. A continuation with good stories and FX had far more potential than what has been proposed by RDM. You may find that there are far more that feel as I do
it is just that we are far less vocal. Time will tell
BTW Why nothing in your profile?
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #6
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevew
BTW Why nothing in your profile?
S
'Cos I'm a ghost!

No, I never bothered setting it up when I first joined - as I said I only actually joined to post on a specific thread! Plus I was only a member of one other forum at the time and hadn't bothered there!

Incidentally, I'm certain Ron Moore's version will fail myself. But the reason has very little to do with the hash he's making of the story.
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:24 AM   #7
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default A Question

Agelastus are you a Larson supporter?

Paul
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #8
Agelastus
Warrior

Kingfish

No - unless he's come up with a better idea than the snippets I caught the last time I browsed the web for Galactica related issues about half a year ago.

In some ways, the original series was good despite Larson - it rose over the flaws his usual shoddyness with regard to anything as mundane as science caused.

Singer was the best bet in my opinion, if he ignored both Hatch and Larson. If Ron Moore completes his project though that won't happen, even if some people still seem to think there's a chance now.
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:09 AM   #9
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

OK Ghostie LOL
Why do you think it will fail?
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:11 AM   #10
Agelastus
Warrior

Default Re: So it begins

Quote:
Originally posted by LordStarFyre
Welcome Agelastus, your arrival here was predicted, by me, just yesterday...

I'm sure you'll have alot of nice fans of Ron Moore to talk to in fairly short order.

I wanted to wish you welcome before I left the "ship"
Well - having found what I assume were your "predictions" I must confess to feeling slightly insulted.

I take it I'm a "plant".

Good grief, that's a little paranoid - go over to the EU forums (Europa Universalis) forums where I used to be an extremely regular poster using this handle and ask people who remember me to see if they think I could be a plant.

No, I'm just your typical opinionated gatecrasher.:p
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:18 AM   #11
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

That's nice. Do try to respect the fact that the purpose of this forum is for the fans of the original, and in our minds, only Galactica. It's your choice whether or not this interests you. If it doesn't, then please don't post simply to prove that we are on the wrong track or similar. If this is unacceptable to you, well, there are other forums.

Everyone else- if you think someone is here solely to start arguments, just ignore them.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:19 AM   #12
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Stevew
OK Ghostie LOL
Why do you think it will fail?
S
Actually, I've been stung into becoming slightly less of a ghost now!

Thanks.

Ron Moore learned too much of his "technique" from Star Trek and its' continual rehash of dated plots and uninteresting "human interest" stories.

Given the name and the money he may talk his mini-series into a tv show, as the fans were dreaming of before they realised what he was doing. But (with apologies to Joss Whedon) it will then likely be cancelled mid-season as he won't have the stories to drag in the viewers. A fact he will likely attempt to disguise by creating yet more expositionary backstory (which notably failed to ensure Roswell's continuation.)

So, by about episode eight he'll have lost whatever remained of the original fanbase that the mini-series didn't alienate, and the new fans he dragged in who love science fiction and are willing to give anything new a chance.

Actually, looking at that, I guess I am blaming the hash of the story - just not specifically in the mini-series.
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:24 AM   #13
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Question of curiosity:

What brought you to this particular gate at this particular time?
The message from admin regarding changes to the forums. Since I was on holiday and had time to browse for once I checked in. Obviously, I hadn't visited for ages.

And, as my first post of the day shows, was slightly horrified.
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #14
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Micheleh
That's nice. Do try to respect the fact that the purpose of this forum is for the fans of the original, and in our minds, only Galactica. It's your choice whether or not this interests you. If it doesn't, then please don't post simply to prove that we are on the wrong track or similar. If this is unacceptable to you, well, there are other forums.

Everyone else- if you think someone is here solely to start arguments, just ignore them.
Micheleh, let me make this clear. I 100% agree that the original Galactica is the only Galactica. You may note that I don't believe I've slipped in any of my posts and directly referred to Ron Moore's project by that title.

As for starting arguments - no, that wasn't my purpose. More to try and shock people into more meaningful discussion.

Now, as for your contention that I post simply to prove that you are on the wrong track - firstly, I try to always be open to discussion. secondly, this is a dsicussion board. Since when has a dissenting voice been so unwelcome? Surely you can't discuss without one!

Interestingly, it appears that both factions believe the board will be taken away from them!

Who's going to be left?

For the record. I am not associated with either faction - I walk alone.
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:32 AM   #15
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
*blink* What Admin message? None was mailed out that I know of.
3D Gladiators admin.

To quote-

Please refer to this announcement:

http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/s...threadid=19986

thanks

3D Gladiators Admin
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #16
adjudicator
On Vacation...

interesting, people here totally missed that he has been for BSG not Moore's Galatica...
I read your posts and understood the confusion at first, but he is not a fan of Moore

"BSG, is like your american salad bar, I take what I like and scrap the rest." The Ron Moore version
adjudicator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #17
Agelastus
Warrior

Quote:
Incidentally, you're quite right.

I'd rather do it on the closed thread but I guess I'll do it on my own.

The "ossified" comment was in poor taste and beneath me and the forums itself. It had been intended as the opener for a longer post. However I lost the thread of my argument and simply posted the opening comment rather than revising it.

There is no excuse for taking a bad mood out on others.

:o
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:56 AM   #18
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
*blink* What Admin message? None was mailed out that I know of.
3dg is consolidating 2D & 3D art forums or something like that: Fabio sent it out yesterday to the whole 3dg memberlist.
Jewels
gak someone said this already! neveryoumind.
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:31 PM   #19
Agelastus
Warrior

Oh....................

Well, LoneWolf, that explains why I couldn't log in elsewhere around here. :o

Because I have been browsing the other forums to - the BG one had the only things on it though I felt strongly enough to post about.

As my soaring count shows.:uhdrop:
Old April 24th, 2003, 05:52 PM   #20
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Welcome...I'm sorry at the moment the dialog is boring. I and many-many others look forward to getting back to dissicusing the show but we're a little busy right now, timing and a concentrated effort is all that matters for now.

Again I say welcome.
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote