Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 19th, 2003, 09:20 AM   #1
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Default Random Observations, or Random Trope Hacking?

Greetings,

Seeing no thread where this would fit I post it to you live and direct. First, howdy! Nice forums, love what has been done with the place, that out of the way. . .

Has anyone researched the folks who worked on mini-series to find out what other science fiction series/movies they have worked on?

The reason I ask is: The more conversations/threads about the new mini-series I see the more one thing strikes me: Everyone seems to have come away with different views of the basic connections (read: similarities with other series) they noticed. With one glaring exception: Bablyon 5. :confused:

What is it about the new series that strikes so many as being a riff off of Bab5?

Granted the notion of the new Cylon Basestars never struck me as being Shadow vessels (I just through they were . . poorly rendered CGI effects) but, now that I've seen it mentioned and I've thought about, whoever first brought it up is spot on. The style is too similar to be a coincidence. Which got me to thinking. . .

Mr. Moore had a Star Trek background, and there were a few obvious Trekism in the series. So who was the former Bab5 person? There must have been more than one.

If anyone has researched what other series the folks working on the mini-series have been associated with what have you discovered?

Not expecting any grand revelations like the script was just a re-tooled leftover from Bab5, but it would be interesting to see if, perhaps, the reason there are so many similiarities isn't because those working on the series brought baggage from other series with them?

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote