Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old March 31st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #331
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Reboot, reimagining, or continuation....as long as it's Battlestar Galactica, I'll support it.
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM   #332
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
Reboot, reimagining, or continuation....as long as it's Battlestar Galactica, I'll support it.
I'm with Martok on this one... and I agree with Monolith as well that along with accepting whatever they decide for the original style, it will be accepted with gtreat critizism and appreciation for the effort
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:09 PM   #333
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

It strikes me as sad though how our perpetual endurance test as fans is to *never* see anything of a satisfactory nature come down our way in any kind of official project, whether its comic books, novels, or other projects. Maybe in the end though, that's why there's such a higher level of creativity that exists among so many people when it comes to Galactica storytelling because we see how much we've been burned and screwed by the powers that be on all levels, that we need to compensate for that.

What a pity that the standards for original Galactica novels to appear in print weren't the same as they were with Trek, where there are dozens of novels, none of which necessarily have to be told to conform to the confines of a single universe thus allowing for greater diversity in the total end product results.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:57 PM   #334
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kester Pelagius View Post
It would be nice. No denying that. And, yes, it would be sweet to see Dirk Benedict return as Starbuck. And Athene, too, if the actress is still around. IMO Athene was a character that they dropped the ball with. I'd love to see the actress return, not as Starbuck's wife or some background character, but, say, as the Commander of Galactica!

But the big obstacle is Moore's GINO series. To most people that is BSG. I fear a continuation would only confuse people. To make it work you'd need a recap of oBSG series events, and that might be costly, even assuming NBC Universal is on board and gives Larson access to film stock from the original series. Granted they could probably do something like they did with the CROW. Utilizing modern CGI techniques new footage could be wed with the old to create a intro that explains events "up to now".

That would probably be a must for a continuation movie project. But will NBC Universal shell out the money for it?

If they don't I may just. .

Good points.
*I meant to say reimagining. Please excuse the typo. That's what you get when you type when you're sleepy. LOL*
I think it would be great to see Dirk Benedict back and Maren Jensen.
I politely disagree with your comment that most people see GINO as BSG.
There are many, many people that see TOS BSG as BSG. There is a very, very strong loyal fan base. Me? I've been a fan for 30 years and am proud of it. Also, many people have bought the DVD collectors edition. Larson is still very much in the public eye.

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:03 PM   #335
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
You do not have to "reboot" in order to "update." "Update" simply means using the standards of FX technology while still keeping things grounded in the established universe of characters/storyline etc. But a "reboot" which means starting over from the beginning with new actors and telling the SAME story we've seen told before is another animal altogether, and it does not interest me. I do not want to see a story about the Colonies being betrayed and destroyed all over again with new actors, because that's "been there, done that" with the original Galactica pilot. If the storyline isn't continued to bring closure to the saga and plight of the characters we came to love and care about, then forget it, I won't see it nor will I support it.
Excellent points.
I too want to see a continuation. We could see...say a backdrop story...brief flashbacks and then on the screen "Our saga continues...There are those believe..." and onto to a continuation story.
I also want to see the original characters with the original actors and new actors in new roles. That for me would be the ideal TOS BSG movie.
I've been working on a movie script and am considered sending it to Glen Larson. *hope that doesn't sound arrogant*
Anybody got his address?

Battlestar Earth admin
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:40 PM   #336
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Let's tread carefully here, folks. This is starting to (edgily so) get into show bashing territory again.

Both fanbases are going to have their opinions on which fanbase is larger, and which show is indeed Battlestar Galactica. Being a member of both fanbases, I could offer some notions that would open a few eyes, and ruffle a few feathers.....but, for the sake of peacekeeping, I won't voice them.

Let's just focus on the notion that this big screen outing (if it should ever come to pass) will be closer in style to the original series. Comparisons or commentary to the new Battlestar Galactica are not necessary, and ill-advised.

I ask this as a poster, and as a moderator.

Respectfully,
Steve
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM   #337
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Steve, if there's an open bashing going on of that other show, I must be missing it beacuse I don't see it. From my own standpoint, I think those of us who may or wish we could say something more specific about that other show are acting with as much restraint as could be expected.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:01 PM   #338
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Indeed. Like I said...it was treading there....not actually on it.

And the restraint has been admirable to say the least.
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:44 PM   #339
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Steve,

For my part I apologize for the lack of clarity in my reference to 'GINO'. What I meant to say is- unfortunately- to a greater portion of the youth audience (read: younger than 30) the Sci-Fi series bearing the name Battlestar Galactica is likely what they are most familiar with. Thus, purely my opinion, any Larson project, continuation or otherwise, would likely confound and confuse them due to the subtle storyline differences

I mention the fact purely because any movie bearing the Battlestar Galactica name will likely draw crowds from the fan bases of both series, in addition to those who may never have watched either series, and thus I felt it advisable to consider what may be needed to make a movie that is watchable to those not familiar with the original narrative; much as was accomplished with Serenity.

Again apologies for my lack of clarity.

ADDENDUM: And as Bryan aptly points out, and is worth re-iterating here, this is all merely speculation. Let's keep it friendly.
#

Eric,

You make some good points however a "reboot" could "update" far more than FX. Considering the myriad stories about how the "suits" interfered with the narrative structure, characters, &tc I think there's a great opportunity to bring to life something that is far more than a watered down children's hour action/drama. All that was promised in the hype associated with that-which-shall-not-be-named could, finally, become an actuality.

I'm sorry you feel there's no way you can support such an endeavor, especially since the "closure" you seek could be provided as a jump into the "reboot". One possible thing we've not considered, at least I don't think anyone has suggested so far, is that the movie could provide not merely that sense of narrative continuity to bring the audience of TOS closure but it could end on an "and this is how it all began" note that leads us into that very "reboot" story. Ideally the reboot would be a new series, alas, given the current status of the property of that-which-shall-not-be-named this doesn't really seem likely.

Which means Mr. Larson will just have to do a TRILOGY. Sorry. It's just the way things seem to be panning out Mr. Larson.

Last edited by Kester Pelagius; March 31st, 2009 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: clarity
Kester Pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:55 PM   #340
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

I can appreciate the discussion regarding reboot/remake vs. continuation and I have my preferences, but in the end, I'm like Steve and I'd probably go see a film based on the original series on some level in whichever form it gets made.

I understand what Eric means in terms of a continuation-themed story and what it would mean because quite frankly, if the film project turns out to be a "one off" like what happened with Serenity, it would be nice if there was something to give to the fans that waited patiently for a new TOS-themed project. In terms of a reboot/remake, if it doesn't succeed at the box office, then it's just another BSG project with no resolution or hope of ever getting one. It's like having your home rebuilt only to have it destroyed by a natural disaster, which would leave you worse off than when you started.

I know that this "tennis match" discussion is just going to go on and on until there's some kind of an announcement giving a clue as to the direction of the project. Even after such an announcement, there will still be that discussion going, mostly because people still have their druthers even when they've been told they're not getting what they want.

That being said, I don't think that anyone here has one iota of a clue as to what to expect any more than anyone else does. If there's one thing that you can say about the studio exec mind, you'll never be able to get what you expect, or be able to expect what to get either.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:55 PM   #341
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Oh, no apologies necessary, Kelster, Eric, or anyone.

Like I said, it was just preventative caution that I made.
Old April 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM   #342
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Bashing on the other show is useless especially at this point. It is far too easy a trap to fall into for me sometimes due to how their fans have displayed themselves. I think its great that we have a system of "non bashing" though I would say they have no such ethical policy in place on their boards or in their public appearances. I do think it sets us above the muck when we take the high ground.

As far as reboots go I don't think they have to be a bad thing at all. The Star Trek movies were a reboot. They changed the ship, the uniforms, updated the look of the effects...rough start but ended up a great success!

I love to use the Halloween movies as an example because it started the same year as Battlestar and everything that is being said "Can't be done" by just about anyone these days regarding movies...they have done. In some cases twice. That franchise has "rebooted" twice in the last ten years successfully and three times since 1978. I don't care for every decision that those filmmakers have made, but I liked some of them. "H20" was a reboot that took things back to the original and continued it twenty years later after some very different decisions stylistically were made in the other sequels. It was a hit. Much more so than their later "reimagining" even.

It can be done. There is no logical difference. One can say that Sci Fi has a built in audience just as much as horror. With the right promotional push people will come to see a Battlestar continutation who may not even know of the original. They'll see it just because it looks cool.

Serenity made its money back even though it was just by a hair in the theatres. Since then it has made quite a little profit warranting two DVD releases and an early Blueray release. A heck of a lot more people across a number of generations are peripherally aware of something called "Battlestar Galactica" than were of "Firefly" when "Serenity" came out.

I know we have no idea if he is involved with this at all, but Tom DeSanto can convince them of this. I have ZERO doubt about it. He did it once and I'm sure that he can do it again. He's had a few home runs since then. Anyone who can say "I want to make a live action Transformers movie" and someone says "okay" can get Battlestar back on a screen with the right approach.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:08 AM   #343
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Let's tread carefully here, folks. This is starting to (edgily so) get into show bashing territory again.

Both fanbases are going to have their opinions on which fanbase is larger, and which show is indeed Battlestar Galactica. Being a member of both fanbases, I could offer some notions that would open a few eyes, and ruffle a few feathers.....but, for the sake of peacekeeping, I won't voice them.

Let's just focus on the notion that this big screen outing (if it should ever come to pass) will be closer in style to the original series. Comparisons or commentary to the new Battlestar Galactica are not necessary, and ill-advised.

I ask this as a poster, and as a moderator.

Respectfully,
Steve
Steve

For clarification I'm not bashing. I respect both fanbases.
I'm just voicing my honest opinion and doing it in a respectful and mature manner.
I wanted to make that clear.
I also agree that we should focus on this big screen outing being closer in style to the original series.

Anne

Battlestar Earth admin
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM   #344
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Paddon View Post
Steve, if there's an open bashing going on of that other show, I must be missing it beacuse I don't see it. From my own standpoint, I think those of us who may or wish we could say something more specific about that other show are acting with as much restraint as could be expected.
Eric

Well said!
What I'm seeing is a respectful and carefully worded discussion on this topic.

Anne

Battlestar Earth admin
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:12 AM   #345
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Bashing on the other show is useless especially at this point. It is far too easy a trap to fall into for me sometimes due to how their fans have displayed themselves. I think its great that we have a system of "non bashing" though I would say they have no such ethical policy in place on their boards or in their public appearances. I do think it sets us above the muck when we take the high ground.

As far as reboots go I don't think they have to be a bad thing at all. The Star Trek movies were a reboot. They changed the ship, the uniforms, updated the look of the effects...rough start but ended up a great success!

I love to use the Halloween movies as an example because it started the same year as Battlestar and everything that is being said "Can't be done" by just about anyone these days regarding movies...they have done. In some cases twice. That franchise has "rebooted" twice in the last ten years successfully and three times since 1978. I don't care for every decision that those filmmakers have made, but I liked some of them. "H20" was a reboot that took things back to the original and continued it twenty years later after some very different decisions stylistically were made in the other sequels. It was a hit. Much more so than their later "reimagining" even.

It can be done. There is no logical difference. One can say that Sci Fi has a built in audience just as much as horror. With the right promotional push people will come to see a Battlestar continutation who may not even know of the original. They'll see it just because it looks cool.

Serenity made its money back even though it was just by a hair in the theatres. Since then it has made quite a little profit warranting two DVD releases and an early Blueray release. A heck of a lot more people across a number of generations are peripherally aware of something called "Battlestar Galactica" than were of "Firefly" when "Serenity" came out.

I know we have no idea if he is involved with this at all, but Tom DeSanto can convince them of this. I have ZERO doubt about it. He did it once and I'm sure that he can do it again. He's had a few home runs since then. Anyone who can say "I want to make a live action Transformers movie" and someone says "okay" can get Battlestar back on a screen with the right approach.
I 100% agree with what you're saying.
I'm pleased to be a part of this TERRIFIC site where everyone is very respectful and takes time to listen to people's ideas and opinions and discuss them in a mature and friendly manner.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old April 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM   #346
dah66
Warrior

Seth Rogen as Baltar (maybe).

http://www.moviehole.net/200918389-r...galactica-film

Update: UG! It's an April Fools Joke. I forgot what day it is. I should have learned years ago to stay offline on this day.
dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:17 AM   #347
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Ok....just for clarification.....those hostile fans of the other show that folks think so ill of (and for good reason) largely only appear at the Skiffy board. Peoples' opinions of them are all based on their experiences (or hearsays) of folks at the Skiffy boards. So, since folks at Skiffy act all immature, and disrespectful, it must be assumed that ALL fans of the new Battlestar Galactica are just as immature and disrespectful....right? Wrong! (Supposedly the show is made by a**holes just for a**holes....that's the thinking, right?! Again...WRONG!)

At other sci-fi boards that I visit, like the official forum for the upcoming Star Trek film or boards which are conducive to sci-fi discussion--such as a board which supports Xbox Live--, as well as local comic shops, theaters, etc, fans of the other show are much more respectful of the original series fanbase. They don't have the penchant for hostility that folks do at the Skiffy board.

I really wish that folks would stop painting fans of the new series with such a broad brush, without the benefit of a broader view, as it is clear that NOT ALL folks of the new series do that either.

Again, spoken as one who enjoys both shows, for people who enjoy either/and/or.

Respectfully,
Steve
Old April 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM   #348
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
I really wish that folks would stop painting fans of the new series with such a broad brush, without the benefit of a broader view, as it is clear that NOT ALL folks of the new series do that either.
For clarification, I for one do not do that.
I DO see the broader picture.
I know people who also like both shows and they've always been very respectful.
I'd like to see a Battlestar Galactica film coming to the big screen for fans of both series to enjoy.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #349
monolith21
Squadron Leader

By no means do I think that ALL fans of that series act like the ones I have met both in person and on line that were extremely hostile. However I do think that this site holds its own to a higher standard. We don't even allow ourselves to vent about that show on forums dedicated to the original. I have yet to find a site with such standards that is dedicated to the new show.

I'm not sure if you remember this Steve, but you and I once had a pretty decent conversation about the new series over on battlestar galactica club. I'd count you among the fans of that show that I fully respect. I know that I have about as broad a view as one can get. I've seen every episode of the new series (both my brothers are fans and convinced me to watch with them) and absolutely literally met at least a hundred of its fans face to face.

As a matter of fact, I had come to respect those fans a bit more as of late. However when a room full of people at a public convention start bashing the original series led by the panelists and moderators and a few other similar situations start happening I know I question those fans integrity. If I were witness to a more positive sampling (and I am quite active in those circles where it would be possible) I would not hesitate to accept a respectful fan of that series. I just had coffee with one last Friday as a matter of fact.

I'd like to see them have a policy of "no bashing" on their sites but that is a different discussion I suppose.

I don't think its bashing to say that the way the original series has been treated as of late by fans and the entertainment industry alike is a bit crummy. It is what it is. I think this thread has been 99.9% respectful in trying to find a way to help turn that around. Turn a negative into a positive.

Even in our set up of the costuming group we've had to address hostility that we will undoubtedly encounter. The policy is much like the one around here...for the original, not against any other production. However we still had to discuss it. Putting our head in the sand would surely mean the wrong response when it happens. I can't wait for that to be a non issue!

Anyway back on topic for me...and on a related note even. I think Aaron Douglas would be a welcome addition to a continuation. He has always had a healthy respect for the original and even had a bit of problem with the concept of a re imagining. Might be a good olive branch.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM   #350
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Points taken....and for the record, I wasn't singling anyone out. This is just one of those things that has gone on for years that usually gets my goat.

But, enough about all this.

Back to an original series themed Galactica big screen movie.
Old April 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM   #351
monolith21
Squadron Leader

So what do you think...Aaron Douglas in a continuation?

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old April 1st, 2009, 05:07 PM   #352
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

I think many of the actors on the show would be a welcome addition to a continuation effort. A couple of them are known to be original series fans, or at least liked, or thought kindly of the original series.

Jamie Bamber and Aaron Douglas.

Respectfully, I really think we need to stop this aspect of the conversation (new series actors in an original series continuation/reboot) though, because I can predict what will happen, and I won't stand for it when it does. I know that many others of the powers that be here will not wish the conversation to take this turn, so being one of TPTB here, I'd rather just skid this part to a halt so there won't be any undue fuss.

Despite the respect that some folks here may have for many of the new series actors, there's still a lot of ill feelings left in the original series fans here who would want a BSG devoid of anything to do with the new Battlestar Galactica.

Before that though...(enter shameless self-promotion mode), if you would like to see my idea of how a story could work that melds TOS and TNS elements... go here:

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...ad.php?t=13224
Old April 1st, 2009, 06:24 PM   #353
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I like a number of the GINO actors.

I wouldn't want to see any of them in a continuation project. Not a single one.

Same goes for the GINO designs.

There's too many other good actors and good concept designs without needing to mix them together. My greatest thanks is that Ron didn't do a continuation and went his own way. To be honest, I've not been too happy when he's tried to blur those lines.

Since so many of the GINO fans think the original series is "crap", I certainly don't see much motivation for mixing and matching.

So sorry, Aaron, Bamber, and the rest. Time to move on in this fan's opinion.

Russell
Old April 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM   #354
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Russell, my good friend, it has been too long. I hope you are well.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:40 AM   #355
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Kelster says that those who seem to engage in a vitriolic bashing of any TV series are probably victims of emotional displacment anxiety, that it's probably just an expression of their need to create a sense of belonging and attachment, be it in response to harsh economical times or lack of spiritual centering which has manifested as self-destructive behaviour over which these poor souls likely have no control.

Kester, OTOH, says there's a fine line between constructive criticism and bashing and he tries not to step over it; unless he thinks there's a really interesting rant in the offing to post at Cosmic Cinema.

Kelster probably agrees. But he's reading the wonderful article Speculations: Battlestar Galactica at the moment and is unavailable for comment.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 08:54 AM   #356
Kester Pelagius
Bad Email Address

Nevermind.

Guess the yokes on me.

Last edited by Kester Pelagius; April 2nd, 2009 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: Move along. Nothing to see here.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:12 AM   #357
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

Colonial Fleets

Kester -

Let's start another thread for this conversation, please?

Additionally, please remember that this site has a PG rating to keep it friendly for all ages, so keep the material and discussion in accordance with that restriction.

Sincerely,

Gemini1999
Colonial Fleets Moderator

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM   #358
LordStarFyre
Warrior

I have to agree with Sandy on this one.

Nothing from GINO need be included in any Continuation, should it happen.

They had their chance, and they had their ending.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:04 PM   #359
LordStarFyre
Warrior

On a decidedly different note....

Gemini, this one is more toward ya'll.

*IF* Glen Larson (and Tom DeSanto?) do indeed have plans afoot to bring Battlestar back, would CF be considered a "Supporting" site for their efforts?

I know that may seem like a silly question, but I ask, in light of the previous posts.
LordStarFyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:25 AM   #360
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordStarFyre View Post
On a decidedly different note....

Gemini, this one is more toward ya'll.

*IF* Glen Larson (and Tom DeSanto?) do indeed have plans afoot to bring Battlestar back, would CF be considered a "Supporting" site for their efforts?

I know that may seem like a silly question, but I ask, in light of the previous posts.
LSF,

Although I'm not Gemini, I'll be happy to answer that one for you.... and for all, in case there is ANY question:

Short answer - YES!

More long-winded answer --

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonial Fleets FAQ

The Colonial Fleets Forum is a discussion group and archive dedicated to Battlestar Galactica, run by Battlestar Galactica fans, paid for by Battlestar Galactica fans, for the enjoyment of fellow Battlestar Galactica fans. Founded as a site focused on the original series and its revival, we continue our efforts toward a realization of that dream.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote