Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old July 3rd, 2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Galactica or Pegasus?

Glen has the movie rights to Galactica.

But in the past he's talked about a Pegasus movie.

It's been said he retains all the rights to Pegasus.

So a couple of questions arise-

If he has the Galactica movie rights, what precisely can he use, material/story wise?

If he has all of the Pegasus rights, then why will there be a re-imagined Pegasus in the nuBG?

Here's your thread to talk about the Pegasus/Galactica stuff as it relates to Larson and his "movie" plans (if they really exist)
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 07:26 PM   #2
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Glen has the movie rights to Galactica.

But in the past he's talked about a Pegasus movie.

It's been said he retains all the rights to Pegasus.

So a couple of questions arise-

If he has the Galactica movie rights, what precisely can he use, material/story wise?

If he has all of the Pegasus rights, then why will there be a re-imagined Pegasus in the nuBG?

Here's your thread to talk about the Pegasus/Galactica stuff as it relates to Larson and his "movie" plans (if they really exist)

Quote:
Without seeing the contract, it would be difficult to pinpoint exactly what those rights would be but, one would have to assume that if there were NO restriction to story content, i.e., TOS Galactica universe, etc then, he would at least have to pay a fee to Universal to license the Galactica name. Universal, as I recall, still retains those rights.

Quote:
Once again, the devil's in the details (of the contract) but, it would appear that Glen may have rights to do ANY type of feature film Pegasus story desired but, does NOT have sole ownership of the name, Battlestar Pegasus. Whether he would have to pay a licensing fee, to Universal, for use of the name remains to be seen. In addition, considering that Pegasus is part of the TOS Galactica "universe" and NBC-Universal owns that "universe", it would appear that that prevents Glen from doing a story about it directly for television.

What a convoluted, contorted web. No small wonder that we haven't seen anything related to TOS for 26 years. It probably took that long to decipher the contract.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:07 PM   #3
nextceo
Bad Email Address

As BST noted its hard to know without seeing the contract. The devil is in the details per se. Larson may have more or less control than people speculate. I wouldn't be surprised if he had less rights than people think, thus the lack of any type of movie or show being done on his part. Maybe he only has Pegasus movie rights, particularly since that is the direction he seemed to want to go for the last how many years.... Its a big question and it seems the only one who knows is Glen and Universal.
nextceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

What would be prefered? Pegasus or Galactica?

I was going to imply that one was untainted by "re-imagining", but that won't be the case anymore.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:35 PM   #5
braxiss
Major

if anything was possible, and we were dreaming, than i would have to say that in the universe of tos, at least two films would need to be done. the first with the crew from galactica and the second with the crew from pegasus. and in my perfect world a third film with both battlestars finding earth.

now that being said, i have to agrre with bst, without knowing whats in the contracts makes things difficult to guess or predict what could or could not be used