Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Closed Thread

Old March 24th, 2006, 08:42 AM   #31
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I agree with you all that there is a viewer base out there that the continuation would please, thats not something I doubt, but what I doubt is that they would speak up with a voice loud enough to get past the crap that hollywood is screaming. Im not sure exactly what to think of Joss and the Firefly movie, Im not sure if it helped to prove that theres a market for niche films or if it proved that making a movie to please some ardent fans was a novel but foolish idea. Im not sure and cant make that call, but I know that in conference rooms in the big networks there must have been some kind of mention of all that and what it means. So does making a continuation of an old series mean profits if its for a niche audience? Or do they go with the known audience that thrives on SVU, CSI, Greys, and the other docu-dramas with the disturbing material, the violence towards women and children designed to shock the audience, which aparently they love, or do they take a chance on a family oriented series... I dont know, think about it. Thats all Im asking, just think about it. We hate the new stuff because its so much of what we see every day, yet ITS STILL ON! And what of us? We STILL dont have a show to watch. Im wearing my Brown Coat badge proudly, but not for Firefly alone, I think were the losers here, but its hard to admit it. I WANT to feel hope that Desanto and co are oh so very very close and that under my tree this year (yas Im Jewish, but its a great metaphor) will be a shiny new TOS continuation to watch, but Im hardly going to hold my breath. If it hasnt happened already, it never will. Sorry, I know this is the kind of defeatist crap you dont like to hear, but if anyones still waiting, Ive got some ocean front property here in Arizona, complete with a Brooklyn Bridge clone to sell ya. Close only counts with hand grenades and horse shoes. Long live TOS, but maybe in a way its better this way, because any continuation at all would never have the charm and appeal as TOS because it would have to be darker, harsher, more gritty than TOS, simply to seem even the remotest bit realistic. And if its changed like that, isnt it just GINO Lite?

tabbi
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:01 AM   #32
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

Well, it won't happen ANYMORE. It was about to happen back in 2001/2002. Then they had sets and stuff built, and then that bitch Bonnie Hammer decided to screw us over and managed to somehow get the plug pulled out of the DeSantos/Singer project, to our everlasting regret and scorn piled on those people.

"Gimme some sugar, baby."

3D Master's Story Homepage
Old March 24th, 2006, 10:49 AM   #33
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Well Ms Hammer wont be there forever, eventually she must retire as do all people. Perhaps then.....

tabbi
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:31 AM   #34
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Ever hear that song with the lyrics, "There's something happenin' out there..."

"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Old March 24th, 2006, 03:00 PM   #35
Damocles
Bad Email Address

The Last Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabitha
Ok start the flames, cus Im gonna say what I feel and I just know its gonna piss someone off. There was never going to be a continuation, it was never going to happen, it never will. Why? <snip>But reality is, we have to take what we have now and hope that life post RDM and GINO might bring us something a little closer to TOS, but it will never be the same.

tabbi
Good points.

To get what you want, you have to buy it or build it for yourself.

So if we want CBSG, we have to make it for ourselves.

The current generation of TV viewers in the Skiffy niche' market is not US.

It certainly is not ME.

Otherwise I would see more SF that conforms to my view of what is. Reality. Not brainrotted Skiffy fantasy.

Stories would be structured and literate, not incoherent disorganized rubbish.

People would be real instead of cardboard cutouts.

Heroism, which is the norm, would not be some human aberration.

And common sense, instead of gross stupidity, would be written into the plots. Enemies would be intelligently presented and their viewpoints expressed instead of incompetently sketched in carricature and broadly stereotyped.

You cannot look at the current staple of TV shows(written for eight year old minds by hacks) and not be INSULTED.

As a result, what TV I do watch, tends to be oriented towards the History Channel(TM) which I often turn off(They get so much, WRONG!) and the Discovery Channel(TM) where I watch the Tuttles produce another motorcycle-or the Mythbusters who problem solve some curious urban myth that anybody could solve if they just performed the gedanken experiment.

I also chuckle at the attempts of Jesse James and his build crews to produce something on Monster Garage(TM).

I also watch Discovery Wings(TM). They get turned off as much as the History Channel(TM) and for much the same reason.

Commercial TV? For anything?

Click.

Under those conditions, whatever RH says for public consumption is not relevant to the continuation. It's interesting, but not RELEVANT. Who has the rights to the property? That is the person to whom I listen.

As always;
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #36
Lara
Squadron Leader

I won't get into a GINO discussion, cos thats not what this site is about.. And this is NOT a flame. If you take it as such, I apologise in advance.

Quote:
But TOS fans are a quirky bunch. We like wholesome good family oriented entertainment. But the world today wont accept that as "quality" programming.
I cannot remember a single continuist who was/has/is baying for BSG to return time capsuled from 1978. Updated is essential, infact part of the appeal, as the themes are universal, and could be brought into modern network sensibilities in a way that would be almost impossible for Little House on the Prarie.

The "world" is a big place, and not everything the rest of us watch is American Network friendly. Just because America is a large market, doesn't make it the only valid view. Even Hollywood knows something is rotten at the moment, and they need to fix it but don't (yet) know how. Just a silent movies, and B&W films gave way to new media, that then changed, all things must evolve. The 70's American network model is having its last gasp. The future is is yet to yield the new dominant medium.

Quote:
How do I know? I post as Poetry Angel on a Captain Scarlet fan site. I posted up how I adored the Thunderbirds movie because the writer/producer Jonathon Frakes kept the show family friendly, and fun, and I got...... flamed! Yes, thats right. The T-Bird purists couldnt handle that it wasnt EXACTLY like the origional. Well folks, this isnt 1985, we do not have tv networks like they were in 85 and the fans of todays shows sure as heck are NOT like they were in 85. So to think that a continuation of TOS would ever have made it is just wishful thinking because it WOULD NEVER SELL.
Firstly, I don't understand what 1985 has got to do with it. Captain Scarlet first aired in 1967. Thunderbirds first aired in 1965. They were and are, serious cultural icons
They have late sixties, British sensibilities. They have the New International style (much of this is fashionable again)

I'm always sorry when the 'purists' flame someone, but its impossible not to know that Anderson fans don't care for Frakes' reimagination. Poke a stick at a barking guard dog and you shouldn't be surprised if you get bitten...and you shouldn't be crying for the dog to be put down

Like cBSG fans, they saw no point in such a wilful departure from source marterial. The new Cpt Scarlet, on the other hand, has been well recieved as an appropriate update and a worthy sucessor (by the majority)

Cheers,
Lara
Old March 24th, 2006, 09:02 PM   #37
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

First, its good to see you posting again, Tabbi! Hope your trip was a good one! Welcome back!

In regards to RH, I have to concur with most here in saying that while I was a little irked to see him join the cast of a certain unmentionable show, I can't begrudge a man for trying to make a living. He has done far too much to keep the flames of BSG going to get a bad wrap, ...and in my humble opinion the idea of some sort of continuation is far from dead.

Which brings me to the other topic brought up in this thread. While the idea and thought of a continuation being dead, is a point of view that one could take, it is hardly the only POV and a conclusion that lacks the enclusion of many variables.

1. Hollywood regimes change. With it, the winds of favor also changes. Projects get cancelled and others get made that would never have, under the previous leadership.
2. Life is cyclical. While there may be an overabundancy of focus on the negative side of life right now, the audience will get tired of it and turn to more positive projects. To some degree, it is already happenning.
3. With up and coming names like DeSanto and strong names like Singer, the possibility of them one day walking into the studios and stating that they want to take another shot at BSG, long after the current incarnation is forgotten, is still very plausible.
4. Had it not been for the many fans and the near heroic afters of quite a few people, including RH, BSG today might truly be dead. But they did not stop believing ten years after TOS, nor 20 years after, and it has spawned 7 books, numerous fan efforts, and nearly an official continuation, only weeks away from filming. ALL BECAUSE PEOPLE KEPT BELIEVING!!!

The arguement for believing in something is not about ego, nor about a denial about reality, but about keeping the faith and having the patience to see it through. We may have lost a few battles here and there, but that is far from an all out defeat.

So, I am going to keep believing. I am going to do what I can to keep the flames of hope and BSG going, so that one day, a Peter Jackson will realize that there IS still life in the ol' war bird and will bring her out of her slumber!

Never say never.

Respectfully,

Malkyte
Old March 25th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #38
JLHurley
Warrior

Quote:
I will go watch them, not because I prefer them, but I just have to accept that RDM and his GINO project are the ONLY new BSG stuff that will be comming out of hollywood. Sorry folks, I cant live the dream, but I admire those who do. But reality is, we have to take what we have now and hope that life post RDM and GINO might bring us something a little closer to TOS, but it will never be the same.

tabbi
I pretty much agree with everything you've said, Tabitha. And as you've stated, RDM's BG may not be the last take we see on our beloved series. How many Superman and Batman versions have we seen on the big screen over the last 50+ years? Ditto Star Trek, Buck Rogers, and non-SF oriented projects like "Whuthering Heights," Pride and Prejudice," and "Romeo and Juliet." Of course, whether any of us are still alive to see a post-RDM BG is another thing...
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:36 AM   #39
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Thanks everyone for engaging me. Your views really do mean a lot to me. Im not the kind to just post my stuff and ignore the replies. I agree with you Laura, that T-Birds is a hot topic for the British crowd. In America, we like T-Birds, but I think here its a bit different. I guess because it isnt one of OUR icons, we are a bit more accepting of the franchise and how its handled. I was just happy to see someone pick up the name and do SOMETHING with it. Im a real fan of Andersons work, both TB and CS, as well as his S1999 and others. The man was a genius.
Im wanting so badly to believe in the CBSG project, but I dont think Desanto and co. have what it takes. They need a front person with charisma and energy. When I think of them, I get this mental image of... golf. Yea wierd, but to me, how they present themselves is like watching golf on TV. RDM has style and flair. He sells stuff BECAUSE he is flamboyant and gregarious. Ive said elsewhere, and i stand by it. I wish RDM was on OUR side, because he knows how to convince the hollywood elite to do things that seem outragous. Killing Kirk?!?!!? Who would have seen THAT one comming? Thats like killing Adama to the BSG crowd. Hes good. I gotta give him that. What Desanto and Singer and the rest need is someone like RDM, who can wheel and deal and convince the hollywood crowd to take the risk, and do something wonderful. But then, what do I know, Im just another fan with an opinion....
tabbi
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #40
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I wish RDM was on OUR side, because he knows how to convince the hollywood elite to do things that seem outragous. Killing Kirk?!?!!? Who would have seen THAT one comming? Thats like killing Adama to the BSG crowd.
I wouldn't exactly refer to the Sci-Fi channel as having membership in "Hollywood's elite". They're spectators.

Killing off Kirk was not necessarily outrageous. How Moore chose to do it, however, was pathetic. The least that he could have done was to have written Kirk's death scene with a bit more glorious ending. It was the popularity of the original Star Trek show which led to the movies which led to the spin-offs and which led to Moore's employment with the ST franchise. An homage to that would have been appropriate.

Quote:
Hes good. I gotta give him that. What Desanto and Singer and the rest need is someone like RDM, who can wheel and deal and convince the hollywood crowd to take the risk, and do something wonderful.
Singer and DeSanto have done quite well with the X-Men series of movies. They don't need someone like Moore whose most recent claim to fame is penning a show on a niche cable TV channel with coverage to 77% of the USA.

To be honest, I don't quite understand your fascination with Ron Moore. He's done nothing recently that would have him anywhere on my "go to" list.

But, to each his or her own.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:42 AM   #41
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

I wouldnt say Im facinated by him, Im just learning a lot about him, and though I cant say Id pick him for a friend in a room full of people, I have to give credit where its due. Sure the X-Men movies were awesome, but then, they stayed true to the fans images of the characters, that means instant fan adoration. Its another thing entirely to convince people that you want to take a cultural icon and kill it and have people not only support it, but rave in the reviews. I think the word Im using to describe my current interest in RDM is maybe facinsation, but more like curiosity. I just wonder HOW someone can do these things. I coldnt convince a naked eskimo to put on a parka in a blizzard, but this guy seems to be a svengoly of the hollywood crowd. I think if Desanto and co had his ability to convince people that doing something outragous and daring was a sure fire hit, then we would have had a CBSG pilot years ago. Thats all Im saying. I dont think they ever had the ability to sell something outside what hollywood was willing to go for. Mel Gibson couldnt do it, he had to bankroll it himself. Theres a history here, and Im just looking at it and asking, is it realistic to think it will happen, in light of the Serenity/Passion examples. Imjust saying that I dont think it was ever going to happen, and that sure, some momentum was made, sets and props, but were they necessarily big money's doing or Desanto and co spending some of their own green and maybe under the illusion that it was going to happen? I ask questions, thats my job here, thats what I do. I ask questions and provoke some discussion (hopefully). So there it is, was it or was it not just a pipe dream to begin with?

tabbi
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:11 PM   #42
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Tabbi....if you're refering to a Continuation as a possible pipe-dream....I think not.

Richard showed you could pull a lot of people together and make something very special.

Richard reportadly had $80mil offered as an investment. Proving the big bucks are there.

Glen Larson owns the theatrical rights.

Tom DeSanto and Bryan Singer showed you can get a series together.

The fans have shown they aren't going away.

The companies out there buying merchandising licenses prove there is still sales potential in osBSG.

The cast appearing at conventions proves the human elements that made up the show are still popular in the sci-fi community.

The fanfilms show that there is still the creative ability to make the FX for far less money.

Add all of those together....and realise everything foundation needed is in place.....we just need delivery.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:13 PM   #43
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

It's harder to meet an existing fan base's expectations (ie, X-Men, Superman Returns, Transformers) than it is to scrap something, alienate a fan base and start with your own interpretation.

Simply put, Moore took the easy route

Tom planned on going the Continuation route, which would have had to meet the expectations of the existing fan base.
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #44
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
I wouldnt say Im facinated by him, Im just learning a lot about him, and though I cant say Id pick him for a friend in a room full of people, I have to give credit where its due. Sure the X-Men movies were awesome, but then, they stayed true to the fans images of the characters, that means instant fan adoration. Its another thing entirely to convince people that you want to take a cultural icon and kill it and have people not only support it, but rave in the reviews. I think the word Im using to describe my current interest in RDM is maybe facinsation, but more like curiosity. I just wonder HOW someone can do these things. I coldnt convince a naked eskimo to put on a parka in a blizzard, but this guy seems to be a svengoly of the hollywood crowd.
RDM didn't need to convince anyone. He was asked to do it, to bring his ideas, he did, and the ones who wanted to screw over the fandom, one Bonnie Hammer, because we didn't support her "biodomes in space Galactica remake" is the one who greenlit it.

Old March 27th, 2006, 12:58 PM   #45
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Tabbi-

I think you might be giving RDM way more credit then he deserves. I saw the man live and not more then a few feet away from me at Galacticon, and the only impression I left with was a man of arrogance and self love. His "selling" of Kirk's death to the inept Hollywood execs, I feel, had nothing to do with charisma, but the fact that they wanted to somehow kill off the old cast movie series and pass the batton off to the next gen. THEY were more then ready to kill off Kirk! As far as the fans accepting of his resolution in the matter, I would hardly say that they welcomed it with open arms. I seriously doubt that the man has a whole lot of charm, but he did get a Hugo. And I am sure that openned up a few doors.

As for the DeSanto/Singer production being a pipe dream?.... After seeing the pre-production art work, FX shots, the built Viper (made by ship builders) first hand, and again only standing a foot away from DeSanto as he was going through the history and the ideas he wanted to pursue, I can comfortably say that it was not a pipe dream. It was however, part of some very unfortunate events and timing. There was a lot of factors that derailed the DeSanto production, but it was very real! But even after the reigns were handed to RDM, it was clear that he could have maintained the continuation, but that did not interest HIM. Hence the direction he took.

Guys like DeSanto, Whedon, JMS and Jackson understand their audience. They understand that to redo or continue an existing premise, you have to stay true to the source and what made it tick to begin with. With X-Men, DeSanto and Singer showed that you can stay true to the source AND introduce new fans to the genre. X-Men was not just liked by the fans of years past, but openned the door to new ones, as clearly shown in its box office and critical success. They knew and understand how to keep the old fans and add new ones. Something that seriously lacks in RDM's skills.

Hollywood, in some corners, is finally starting to understand how to handle movies like this. With the success of X-Men, Spiderman, Batman Begins and the promising Superman Returns, things are looking up. And if DeSanto gets a hit with his Transformers movie, you can bet that he will have the same kind of "charisma" you feel RDM now posseses, if not better.

But whatever capital, RDM thought he had is seemingly going away very fast. His Carnival experiment did not last and his current series shows serious signs of trouble. He supposedly has a couple of other series in production, but I would not be completely suprised if they never air.

As I said earlier, the winds change in Hollywood very fast. If RDM is not careful, he'll get blown away into obscurity.

Malkyte
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #46
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkyte
Tabbi-

I think you might be giving RDM way more credit then he deserves. I saw the man live and not more then a few feet away from me at Galacticon, and the only impression I left with was a man of arrogance and self love. His "selling" of Kirk's death to the inept Hollywood execs, I feel, had nothing to do with charisma, but the fact that they wanted to somehow kill off the old cast movie series and pass the batton off to the next gen. THEY were more then ready to kill off Kirk! As far as the fans accepting of his resolution in the matter, I would hardly say that they welcomed it with open arms. I seriously doubt that the man has a whole lot of charm, but he did get a Hugo. And I am sure that openned up a few doors.
He didn't sell anything, the studio execs gave him and Brannon the order from the start to kill off Kirk. The fans did not take his and Brannon's killing off of Kirk at ALL! The ending was refilmed where Kirk got a more heroic death. Originally he was going to get shot in the back by Soran without contributing to his defeat at all. Generations was a bad movie, in that the climax of the movie is just over half-way it: the crashlanding of the Enterprise. The rest is an anti-climactic afterthought, without Kirk dying where he belonged: on the (battle)bridge of an Enterprise.

Quote:
Guys like DeSanto, Wheadon, JMS and Jackson understand their audience. They understand that to redo or continue an existing premise, you have to stay true to the source and what made it tick to begin with.
If you mean Joss "I sank 3 television series, but bullfelgercarbted my way to a movie of one" Whedon, he does NOT understand his audience at all. He alienated more than half his viewership from Buffy S4 onward. He produced a television show that was (and horrendously is) heralded as a "feminist icon" with "one of a very few feminist heroines and rollmodels", then had that feminist heroine fall in love with her (attempted) rapist. Talk about being severed from your audience.

Old March 27th, 2006, 03:32 PM   #47
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMaster
If you mean Joss "I sank 3 television series, but bullfelgercarbted my way to a movie of one" Whedon, he does NOT understand his audience at all. He alienated more than half his viewership from Buffy S4 onward. He produced a television show that was (and horrendously is) heralded as a "feminist icon" with "one of a very few feminist heroines and rollmodels", then had that feminist heroine fall in love with her (attempted) rapist. Talk about being severed from your audience.

No, I mean, Joss "who had a series run for 7 years (which was based on a not so successful movie) and will probably see it come around again, as well as another that ran for 5 and might have some spinoffs. Firefly's early exit was not his fault and yet it still makes him money and has a pretty sizable following. And considering that it was a cancelled series of 15 episodes, the man still managed to get a movie made of it."-Whedon

Does the man know what he is doing? I would say, that for the most part, yes.

Just because you didn't care for what he has done does not mean the man doesn't understand his audience. Someone was watching, for his shows to stay on as long as they were (especially in today's fickel ratings game), and for the most part they were entertaining. Which is part of "getting your audience".

Malkyte
Old March 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #48
3DMaster
Shuttle Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkyte
No, I mean, Joss "who had a series run for 7 years (which was based on a not so successful movie) and will probably see it come around again, as well as another that ran for 5 and might have some spinoffs. Firefly's early exit was not his fault and yet it still makes him money and has a pretty sizable following. And considering that it was a cancelled series of 15 episodes, the man still managed to get a movie made of it."-Whedon

Does the man know what he is doing? I would say, that for the most part, yes.

Just because you didn't care for what he has done does not mean the man doesn't understand his audience. Someone was watching, for his shows to stay on as long as they were (especially in today's fickel ratings game), and for the most part they were entertaining. Which is part of "getting your audience".
The movie based on his show flopped, that's because it was boring. His other shows systematically destroyed any of its heroes, and had the message that normal old humans like us, are a bunch of powerhungry, useless, fools who could possibly understand the previledged few who have money/power/intelligence/some talent, whatever.

Again, Joss' shows ratings went down hill fast with Buffy S4 and onward. That's because the REAL genius behind the first three seasons' success of Buffy, one David Greenwald, moved on to produce and write Angel (to which Joss barely contributed anything in the first years), and then the quality went COMPLETELY down the crapper once David left ME fully. This is a simple fact. Just about the only viewers remaining of the Buffyverse are fans of a certain blond-haired vampire, and a few loyalists who managed to stay to final episode hoping it got better again, (among others me), instead if just got worse and worse, and with it, the viewers left and left.

What Joss' true talent is, is bullfelgercarbting his way through his failures, and managing to remove any blame off of him, and laying it somewhere else, usually the studio. Why the hell people STILL don't see this, is beyond me.

Old March 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM   #49
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Again the point is, talent is taking a series that is mediocre and a fickle fan base and making something happen. Well something did happen, just not the something we wanted. And the guys that were trying to make that certain something we wanted happen, couldnt cut it. Something strange is going on, and if it isnt RDm getting his silver toungue moving, again showing that his contributions to DS9 and Kill Kirk and now BSg, was enough clout to take control then Im not sure how its explained. I still want to know HOW this happened. How does Bonnie Hammer have power over Glen Larsen, whats her deal? How does RDM get the green light when theres already an infrastructure in place from Desanto and company? Maybe Im missing something here, but it doesnt add up. If its about money and profits, they supposedly already spent 80 million on Desanto/Singer, so they are losing money for no reason. Who the hell is Bonnie Hammer and why does SHE make the decisions? Really! Who said Ms. Hammer is the Goddess of BSG? Are there no other people in hollywood anymore but Ms. Hammer? If so, how did B5 make it? How did anything make it past her? I dont get it.....

tabbi
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:34 PM   #50
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Not that the discussion isn't interesting....

But, why are we spending so much time talking about Ron Moore in a thread that was about Richard Hatch in the beginning.

I don't have any problems with Ron Moore, per se......

I was just wondering about the change in direction of the topic.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM   #51
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DMaster
The movie based on his show flopped, that's because it was boring. His other shows systematically destroyed any of its heroes, and had the message that normal old humans like us, are a bunch of powerhungry, useless, fools who could possibly understand the previledged few who have money/power/intelligence/some talent, whatever.
The movie failed due to poor, or I should say NO marketing and an even poorer release date. The movie was far from boring, but we'll just have to agree to disagree. You obviously don't like Whedon, so fine. No big deal to me. The point is, he still got a studio to let him make it.

Quote:
Again, Joss' shows ratings went down hill fast with Buffy S4 and onward. That's because the REAL genius behind the first three seasons' success of Buffy, one David Greenwald, moved on to produce and write Angel (to which Joss barely contributed anything in the first years), and then the quality went COMPLETELY down the crapper once David left ME fully. This is a simple fact. Just about the only viewers remaining of the Buffyverse are fans of a certain blond-haired vampire, and a few loyalists who managed to stay to final episode hoping it got better again, (among others me), instead if just got worse and worse, and with it, the viewers left and left.
Your incredible hatered for Whedon is really clouding your rational, my friend. If the show really lost as much fans as you stated it really would not have lasted nearly as long after the 4th season as it did. No doubt that ratings went down, but again people were still watching. For me Angel was meh to begin with, and got interesting later on, and became a little too convoluted in the end, BUT it was still interesting. Again, it was his creations and they lasted pretty decently in todays short attention span world. Whether you liked the end product or not, enough people did to keep it going.

Quote:
What Joss' true talent is, is bullfelgercarbting his way through his failures, and managing to remove any blame off of him, and laying it somewhere else, usually the studio. Why the hell people STILL don't see this, is beyond me.
Because it isn't true.

Malkyte
Old March 27th, 2006, 04:44 PM   #52
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
Not that the discussion isn't interesting....

But, why are we spending so much time talking about Ron Moore in a thread that was about Richard Hatch in the beginning.

I don't have any problems with Ron Moore, per se......

I was just wondering about the change in direction of the topic.

Bryan

You're right, Bryan!

I was going to respond to Tabbi's latest post on RDM, but you are right! This thread was and should be about RH. My apologies for going astray!

I said my say about RH and will leave it at that!

Malkyte
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:20 PM   #53
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I still want to know HOW this happened. How does Bonnie Hammer have power over Glen Larsen, whats her deal? How does RDM get the green light when theres already an infrastructure in place from Desanto and company? Maybe Im missing something here, but it doesnt add up. If its about money and profits, they supposedly already spent 80 million on Desanto/Singer, so they are losing money for no reason. Who the hell is Bonnie Hammer and why does SHE make the decisions? Really! Who said Ms. Hammer is the Goddess of BSG? Are there no other people in hollywood anymore but Ms. Hammer? If so, how did B5 make it? How did anything make it past her? I dont get it.....

tabbi
The rights division between Universal (all divisions) and Larson didn't occur until the miniseries was 90% in the can. Bonnie didn't hold power over Larson, the company she ran (SciFi and later Studios USA) grabbed the project right out from under Tom when Fox backed out, very close to the time Singer had to move over to X2.

DeSanto's budget was in the under $20 million range for a 2 hr. pilot to series. They'd not spent anything like that yet, sets were only begun and they were 6 weeks from shooting.

The $80 million is supposedly more or less what would have been committed to Richard's 2nd coming project (theatrical film), IF the rights hadn't been such a clouded issue between Larson and Universal. I suspect the more would have been to have the other studio outright buy all the rights from Universal. Tom had pitched his concept at the same time to Universal and Fox and Fox gave him a greenlight to start development. (Neither Richard or Tom knew the other was pitching back then).

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
Old March 27th, 2006, 06:27 PM   #54
Tabitha
Bad Email Address

Ok its starting to make sense, but only in a very convoluted way...

tabbi
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:06 PM   #55
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I do believe, on a number of occasions, it's been discussed exactly what happened.

I see no need to keep beating it with a stick.
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:44 PM   #56
tracyb144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
I do believe, on a number of occasions, it's been discussed exactly what happened.

I see no need to keep beating it with a stick.
It's been discussed on *more* than a number of occasions.
The stick is now splinters.
I believe this thread was supposed to be about Hatch?

Old March 27th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #57
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

*is still needling splinters out of hand* Is that what these are from?
Old March 27th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #58
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Yeah - look - as much as I admire the man for what he did in the '90's to bring BSG back to the attention of the suits, and I'd miss him as Apollo in any continuation that they might do, he's put BSG down. (As in 'stuck it in a drawer', not been derogatory about it.)

Richard Hatch is no longer a real factor in Battlestar Galactica's revival.

I think any official future of BSG lies with Tom DeSanto and Glen Larson in some combination (as Glen owns the theatrical rights and Tom's growing into an 800-pound Hollywood gorilla). I know Tom DeSanto understands BSG (frankly, I think Hatch does, too, but like I said he's "moved on").

In the meantime it's up to US to keep BSG going - and we're doing a pretty darn good job of it, and that effort is growing all the time. All the fanfilms, Exodus, all of that.

Nothing against the guy for making a living - but Richard Hatch is no longer a major player in Battlestar Galactica's continued existence.

IMHO, of course.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Old March 27th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #59
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Yeah - look - as much as I admire the man for what he did in the '90's to bring BSG back to the attention of the suits, and I'd miss him as Apollo in any continuation that they might do, he's put BSG down. (As in 'stuck it in a drawer', not been derogatory about it.)

Richard Hatch is no longer a real factor in Battlestar Galactica's revival.

I think any official future of BSG lies with Tom DeSanto and Glen Larson in some combination (as Glen owns the theatrical rights and Tom's growing into an 800-pound Hollywood gorilla). I know Tom DeSanto understands BSG (frankly, I think Hatch does, too, but like I said he's "moved on").

In the meantime it's up to US to keep BSG going - and we're doing a pretty darn good job of it, and that effort is growing all the time. All the fanfilms, Exodus, all of that.

Nothing against the guy for making a living - but Richard Hatch is no longer a major player in Battlestar Galactica's continued existence.

IMHO, of course.

I am
Dawg

Truth be known, he probably prefers it that way. When TOS finally does come back, he can just blend in with the rest of the cast, do his scenes, and go home.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
Old March 28th, 2006, 04:29 AM   #60
Lara
Squadron Leader

Quote:
I was just happy to see someone pick up the name and do SOMETHING with it.
Its easy to be dismissive of the roots something you are not truly, emotionally, invested in.
To draw an on topic parallel: RH always had the emotional investment and the passion, firstly for the TOS, then for the continuation, after all the second coming trailer is a fanfilm of the purest sort.. His passion now resides with GINO, but that is a matter of real life over desire.

Quote:
Im a real fan of Andersons work, both TB and CS, as well as his S1999 and others. The man was a genius.
The man IS a genius, and another Thunderbirds movie (it had 2 previous) would have been much better if he had been on board. There are some things only the creator is allowed to do. The CGI Captain Scarlet is one of them!!

There are some things that do not cross the AngloAmerican cultural divide...

Cheers,
Lara
(ps...Laura is my evil twin.... )

Closed Thread