Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:15 PM   #1
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Default San Diego Comic Con 2006

I am debating going to Comic Con this year. I had decided not to but it sounds like a lot of my fellow warriors are going. Who all of us is going? Anyone going in uniform? Do we know what Galactica people will be there?

Warrior role call time!
KamikazeAthena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Nay, my Battlestar Film...which has not been completely cast yet...is sucking all my time and dollars. I'll do the con thing next year dressed in Cylon armor promoting my film
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 03:41 PM   #3
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

I'm going, BS2001 is, Tom DeSanto is going to be there, Richard Hatch if anyone cares. I have been going for the last 2 years, great con to go to. You and 100,000 of your friends.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:26 PM   #4
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Location: In My Battlestar over San Diego waiting for everyone else...

I will be attending the ComicCon. It so happens that I live in the San Diego area. If anyone has any questions about the area or are in need of info, I might be able to help those at Fleets that are going. I will double check to make sure I listed my e-mail address so anyone who wants to PM me, can do so. It would be a blast to get a good size group to represent Fleets there.

Steve

"You're gonna need a bigger boat..." Chief Brody - Jaws
"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
CBSG4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2006, 06:04 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'm plannning on going. I need to get my con membership sorted out - the prices go up after the first week in June. I need to also get the hotel situation taken care of - pickings are looking rather slim already. The closest hotel with currently available rooms is 3 miles from the con and does not have shuttle service - it's a good thing I'm driving down.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM   #6
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Default Meeting at ComicCon

Sounds like a lot of us will be there. Let's all try to meet for dinner or drinks or something.

Can everyone who is going reply to this thread with the dates that they will be there?

I will get there Thursday afternoon. I fly out early on Sunday morning. I think several of us may be working booths. Maybe we should shoot for an initial meeting on Thursday night, before things get crowded and nuts.

Ideas?
Dy
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #7
spcglider
Squadron Leader

I'll be there. Just tell me when and where you guys want to hook up.

I had hoped to have a costume ready, but I would actually bet money against it now. I was foolinsh and promised to help some guys with a low budget sci-fi movie by making a monster suit for them. Its gonna take up all my spare time before then.

Sadly, or perhaps happily, I was at a fabrc warehouse on Saturday and found REAL Bridge Blue ULTRASUEDE for (get this!!!)

$14.95 a yard!!!

They had the warrior tan ultrasuede too, but I don't want to make a tan outfit. The blue, however, will make a perfect ultrasuede battlejacket in blue (officer's feild battlesuit).

I'm making the uniform out of something else, though. Just the jacket will be ultrasuede. I don't want to sweat into ultrasuede!! Slimy!!! ICK!!!

-Gordon
Old May 30th, 2006, 03:22 PM   #8
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

I think that we should all make an effort to wear something TOS each day. It does not need to be a uniform. A T-shirt will do. When I last went 2 years ago, there were a few TOS CWs and it made quite an impression. No GINO costumes or T-shirts were anywhere to be found.
Old May 30th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #9
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazeAthena
I think that we should all make an effort to wear something TOS each day. It does not need to be a uniform. A T-shirt will do. When I last went 2 years ago, there were a few TOS CWs and it made quite an impression. No GINO costumes or T-shirts were anywhere to be found.
I do wish I had a Warriors uniform. If I had one I would certainly wear it. You could bet your bottom cubit on that. I've been mulling over getting a Blue Squadron insignia patch tattooed on my upper arm. Then I'd never be out of uniform!

Say KamikazeAthena, you said you attended the Con 2 years ago. We may have met. Did you attend Hatch's BG panel that year?

Steve

"Kind of a bummer gettin' your butt kicked by a dead guy" - Col. T.C. McQueen, S:AaB-(Ray Butts)
"A kind word and a 2-by-4 is better than just a kind word" - Marcus Cole, Babylon 5
"WIVES...uh...aren't we getting a little ahead of ourselves?" Starbuck - Living Legend
"Every creature in the Universe is out to exterminate us and YOU want to hire a vocal group." Boomer - Saga of a Starworld
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:26 PM   #10
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBSG4ever
I do wish I had a Warriors uniform. If I had one I would certainly wear it. You could bet your bottom cubit on that. I've been mulling over getting a Blue Squadron insignia patch tattooed on my upper arm. Then I'd never be out of uniform!

Say KamikazeAthena, you said you attended the Con 2 years ago. We may have met. Did you attend Hatch's BG panel that year?

The tattoo idea is brilliant!

Yes. I was sitting in the front row at Richard's panel. I think I was the only one in uniform.
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #11
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

I'm still planning on driving down to San Diego for the con and I'm taking both Friday and Monday off in conjunction, so I have time to travel and still spend a couple of days at the con. I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you folks, but I think that I've passed the "uniform at a con" stage, but I'll be happy to take pics of those that do....

As long as I get to meet Tom DeSanto and anyone else I can get a pic and an autograph from.....it'll be worth the trip!

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2006, 09:54 PM   #12
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Quote:
The tattoo idea is brilliant!

Yes. I was sitting in the front row at Richard's panel. I think I was the only one in uniform.
I was sitting behind you. There was a guy that walked in dressed as a Vulcan that you wanted a pic of. I wanted to get a pic of you all decked out in your Warrior uniform. We all took some pics, the three of us. Remember? You said you hadn't seen the Hatch trailer and I said that I had. I thought your avatar looked familiar. It is a small world.

Steve

Old May 30th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #13
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

I will be attending Wednesday evening/night (preview night), Thursday, Friday and maybe Saturday (stamina permitting).It would be great to get together sometime, somewhere (at the Con, bite to eat, drinks). We should probably set up some kind of rally point and time to meet up at. Any ideas?

Hello Gemini1999. As I am driving to the Convention Center as well, I know from previous Cons that it's almost next to impossible fo find AFFORDABLE parking anywhere NEAR the Conv. site. This may sound a little extreme but it has it's advantages, believe me. My friend from Phoenix does this now. Get to the Con site at about 6:30 or 6:45 am (Yawn...this is a must if it's a Sat. or Sun.) You will get into the underground parking structure at the Con. The price is, if I recall, $10.00.
Find yourself a parking spot and crash out for 1 to 1.5 hours. You can park there for that day and evening, provided your car doesn't leave the structure. It's very accessable. You can drop things off at your car throughout the day so you don't have to lug around all the stuff that you may have accumulated. I pack a lunch and eat and rest up a little. It's also a little cooler inside as well. Just thought I would lend a helpful tip, if you are interested.

Steve

Old May 31st, 2006, 04:53 AM   #14
SciFiChick
Bad Email Address

i'm vacationing in So Cal this year, and am thinking about planning it around a Con since i'll be out there anyway.
is the guest list complete yet?
SciFiChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:08 AM   #15
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiChick
i'm vacationing in So Cal this year, and am thinking about planning it around a Con since i'll be out there anyway.
is the guest list complete yet?
There is NEVER a complete guest list for Comic Con, since famous people just keep showing up!

My wife ran into Gene Simmons a few years ago. He hit on her while he had three other chicks hanging on his arms.

I ran into the guy who's on Crossing Jordan, Miguel Ferrer. He was there just hanging out with his son looking at cool stuff in Artist Alley. They seemed to be having a good time so I didn't talk with him... I figured he would have preferred to be left alone to enjoy the con with his kid.

But they also have a HUGE area where famous folks just sit at tables all day long and sign autographs. I got Erin Gray's autograph several years ago... even after I inadvertently insulted her. I walked up and said, "Yeah, I'm one of those dorky guys who thought you were the ultimate babe on Buck Rogers." It didn't come out right, but she understood what I meant. She was very gracious.

Oh yeah, and then there was when we almost met that guy who played Frodo Baggins... Elijah Wood. He and several WETA guys came in and stood right in front of us while we were trying to watch the special presentation of LOTR. They just stood there in front of us. We almost called security since we had no idea who they were until the lights came up. Then we saw who they were. They had come in the "wrong way" and we thought they were just some jerks who sneaked in without waiting in line. I guess if you're gonna be blocked from seeing a movie presentation that you stood in line for 2 hours to see, you can't do any better than to be blocked by the guys who made the film. I guess.

And, of course, if you're a fan of just about any comic book artist, you should be able to meet and talk with them there. The place is lousy with comic guys. You'd think it was a comic book show or something!

I look forward to going. I haven't been in several years and I hear they've pretty much doubled the size since I was last.

-Gordon
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:36 AM   #16
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
I was sitting behind you. There was a guy that walked in dressed as a Vulcan that you wanted a pic of. I wanted to get a pic of you all decked out in your Warrior uniform. We all took some pics, the three of us. Remember? You said you hadn't seen the Hatch trailer and I said that I had. I thought your avatar looked familiar. It is a small world.
OMG! I totally remember you! How hysterical!

I am thinking that Thursday night might be best for an official gathering as things will be calmer than they will on Friday or Saturday. Friday could work as well.

Steve, got any ideas where we could all meet? At the con might be easiest but maybe there is a bar or something nearby? (Leave it to me to suggest a bar!)

Dy
Old May 31st, 2006, 09:31 AM   #17
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:

I am thinking that Thursday night might be best for an official gathering as things will be calmer than they will on Friday or Saturday. Friday could work as well.

Steve, got any ideas where we could all meet? At the con might be easiest but maybe there is a bar or something nearby? (Leave it to me to suggest a bar!)

Dy
Being a voluntary non-drinker and all around dim-bulb, I'd prefer a restaraunt or combo bar/restaraunt if possible.

Or maybe we could all hook up for a great meal of chips, nachos and corn dogs at the ubiquitous convention food stand! LOL!!

-G
Old May 31st, 2006, 10:05 AM   #18
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
Being a voluntary non-drinker and all around dim-bulb, I'd prefer a restaraunt or combo bar/restaraunt if possible.

Or maybe we could all hook up for a great meal of chips, nachos and corn dogs at the ubiquitous convention food stand! LOL!!

-G
We should be an interesting contrast. I drink and would not touch convention food. I know Michael (Blue Squad) drinks and his eating sounds more flexible than mine. I am sure he will join us. Sounds like a resturant or a combo place is the way to go.

Alright Steve. Bring us some options please.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:15 PM   #19
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
We should be an interesting contrast. I drink and would not touch convention food. I know Michael (Blue Squad) drinks and his eating sounds more flexible than mine. I am sure he will join us. Sounds like a resturant or a combo place is the way to go.

Alright Steve. Bring us some options please.

That was ABSOLUTELY a joke. I won't eat convention hall food unless there is absolutely no other option.

Jennifer and I are far too fond of food to cheapen the experience that way! LOL!!

As for drinking, its just something I never got into. Never had a problem with it. And now that middle age has crept up ever so silently, I find my resistance to alcohol's effects (during and after) are minimal. I used to drink whenI worked at the Renn Fest, but I just don't like being hung over... and even one drink is enough to put me there. So I just don't imbibe.

-Gordon
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM   #20
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

A smart man you are Gordon, on many levels.
Old May 31st, 2006, 02:10 PM   #21
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Quote:
A smart man you are Gordon, on many levels.
Translation: "Lightweight!"

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 03:34 PM   #22
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Translation: "Lightweight!"

I am
Dawg
You understate my position, Dawg!

Back when I was 26 I could knock back enough Glenlivet to put most guys under the table... and I had the stamina to put up with the consequences.

But today, at 40, LIGHTWEIGHT doesn't even come close to describing my "allergy" to the stuff.

Laugh all you like, but a man who knows his limits is the one who enjoys the ENTIRE convention. Not just the parts the booze makes you forget.

-Gordon
Old May 31st, 2006, 04:16 PM   #23
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Join the club, Gordon - although it takes more than two or three to put this Dawg under the table, I am much more restrained than I was in my youth.

I'm older than you are - it takes me even longer to heal.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2006, 07:17 PM   #24
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Quote:

Dy
I't's good to be remembered. How have you been? Hey, love the blaster. You didn't have that in 2004.

I agree, Thursday we should at least get together somewhere at the Con to see how many of us there are. Then we can determine who wants to do what, where to go and when. I suggest Thursday morning in the Sail Pavillion as a meeting place, near the autograph area perhaps? They usually stack everyone near there before they turn everyone loose downstairs. It would be easier to locate folks there than after they unleash the hoards o' people. If that doesn't work, we could all meet at a pre-arranged booth downstairs at a certain time, say 10:30ish to get together.

I'm thinking dinner after the Con would be great. A place to unwind and talk about the days exploits. (and a place for Dy to pound down a few!) After the day is done, I could go for a few myself. There are a number of eateries in the downtown area (I'll need to brush up on locations as I don't get downtown too often) or we could travel a short distance to Mission Valley and partake of some venues there. I, for one, would be willing to carpool/taxi those who are without transportation, if this were the case. My truck can carry a few if needed. I'm game for whatever is decided upon, however. If anyone has some other suggestions or questions, fire away.

Steve

Old May 31st, 2006, 08:32 PM   #25
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
I't's good to be remembered. How have you been? Hey, love the blaster. You didn't have that in 2004.
Man! You really do remember! Yeah, I did not want to attempt to take it on the plane. I will be blasterless again this year as well for the same reason. Plus, it is hard to walk with those darn things!

Ok, so I think that the Thursday part is good. I wont be there until the mid afternoon though. I just talked to Micheal and he does not know when he will get there yet. So the time is still up in the air.

Gordon, when are you arriving?

Diane
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:01 AM   #26
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Man! You really do remember! Yeah, I did not want to attempt to take it on the plane. I will be blasterless again this year as well for the same reason. Plus, it is hard to walk with those darn things!

Ok, so I think that the Thursday part is good. I wont be there until the mid afternoon though. I just talked to Micheal and he does not know when he will get there yet. So the time is still up in the air.

Gordon, when are you arriving?

Diane
We should be there on Thursday, but I don't recall what time.

Suggestion: SHIP your blaster to CBSG4ever and have him bring it to the con. Then ship it back when you're through. No airplane hassle. And CBSG4ever seems like tthe kinda guy who'd do that for you...

-G
Old June 1st, 2006, 07:25 AM   #27
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

Excellent idea spcglider. Yes, I would be more than happy to do that for KA. As I work in a shipping/receiving department for a local company, I'll package it extra careful back to you Dy. On that note, I gotta go to work. See you all laters.

Steve

Old June 1st, 2006, 07:38 AM   #28
KamikazeAthena
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Excellent idea spcglider. Yes, I would be more than happy to do that for KA. As I work in a shipping/receiving department for a local company, I'll package it extra careful back to you Dy. On that note, I gotta go to work. See you all laters.

Thanks! That is really nice of you! I might just do that! The only problem is that walking with it strapped to my leg is a pain!!! But I may just take you up on that! Wonder how my helmet would fair? Talk about wearing something that is a pain!
Old June 1st, 2006, 10:21 AM   #29
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Awww... if you have it, FLAUNT IT!

I say go for the whole ensemble!

-G
Old June 1st, 2006, 08:00 PM   #30
CBSG4ever
Warrior Ace

If you gots da bling , then you must bring!

Steve