Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old January 22nd, 2005, 10:54 AM   #1
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Default Count Iblis: A Theory

I came across this:

"...The geologist Christian O'Brien argued that these [ancient Hebrew and Sumerian] texts describe a race of beings called Shining Ones - his translation of the Hebrew word Elohim. These beings created modern humans from earlier human forms by genetic manipulation. Some of these beings, called Watchers, mated with humans, and this was considered a crime by the Shining Ones. One of the Watchers was named Shemjaza, and Yahweh was one of the Shining Ones. O'Brien argued that the Shining Ones were superior but mortal beings of unknown origin."
*****- Richard L. Thompson, Alien Identities - Ancient Insights into Modern UFO Phenomena

I think the Beings of Light are the Elohim, or Shining Ones and that Iblis was a Watcher who genetically manipulated the Cylon race until it destroyed itself through their creations, the robot Cylons, their last offering to their "god" Iblis, that's why the Imperious Leader speaks with the voice of "god".

For his crime Iblis was stripped of some of his power, becoming one of the fallen or Nephilim.

Also, in War of the Gods, the Lightbeings state that they were once humans and that the Colonials could evolve into beings such as themselves – superior mortal beings surely?

Peter

DISCALIMER: The above is just a theory concerning a piece of entertament and in no way is meant to insult anyone's faith, nor is it anything to do with my own personal beliefs as such.
peter noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2005, 05:49 PM   #2
Spike The Cylon
Captain

Lightbulb

This reminds me of a book I read, called the 12th Planet By Zachiria Stichhen (I know I miss-spelled it. hope I didn't make anyone mad) His book pretty muchs says the same thing.

Fleeing From The Cylon Tyranny, The Last Battlestar, Galactica, Leads a Rag-tag Fugitive Fleet On A Lonely Quest. A Shining Planet, Known As....Earth!
Spike The Cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2005, 05:45 AM   #3
KJ
Strike Leader

Very good stuff Peter. Nothing offensive or insulting there, just theories even Larson himself may have 'mined' in creating the episodes.

Whether you say Iblis lost some of his power or was cursed etc. Falls into the idea of ancient beings, so old man has so many interpretations of his origins and any deities he or she believes in. Even from sci-fi show exploring the possibilities through entertainment and such.

In some ways Star Trek and other sci-fi shows have touched upon this per se. Just in their own unique ways etc.

KJ
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:49 AM   #4
justjackrandom
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
I came across this:

*****- Richard L. Thompson, Alien Identities - Ancient Insights into Modern UFO Phenomena

I think the Beings of Light are the Elohim, or Shining Ones and that Iblis was a Watcher who genetically manipulated the Cylon race until it destroyed itself through their creations, the robot Cylons, their last offering to their "god" Iblis, that's why the Imperious Leader speaks with the voice of "god".

Very cool Peter.

Thanks for the book reference. Ever since I read “The 12th Planet” (mentioned by Spike) and its sequels (there are a bunch. My two favorites are “The Wars of Gods and Men” and “When Time Began”), I look for other references to similar theories, but this one had escaped me. I’ll head out soon to find it.

You might also see if you can find a printing of the Book of Enoch, an Apocryphal, non-canonical text thought to be from between 200 B.C.E. to 50 C.E. This is some of the source material details about the Elohim, the Nephilim, and the Watchers.

I also like your insight on Iblis and the light beings. Very, very cool stuff…

JJR
justjackrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #5
Darth Marley
GINO Public Defender

Book of Enoch online:

http://www.ancienttexts.org/library/enoch/

There is a line or two in Genesis that is an abreviated account of the Nephilim.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Antelope

Good job Peter.

The Iblis story and our fallen angel stories go well with these proposed theories.
Old February 6th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

I liked how that episode mixed Creation and Evolution beliefs.

To me the people on the Ship of Lights and Iblis and his followers were angels and devils and also advanced humans further along the evolutionary scale. Adama and Apollo were talking of how normal humans would be godlike to primitives.

I looked at them this way. Normal humans are living longer each generation. The BSG characters said their lifespan was 200. They also (like us) use 10% brain capacity right? Those superior human (angels/devils) have a much longer lifespan (if not immortal) and use much more brain capacity. And telepathy and telekenesis may seem supernatural to us but to them it's natural like walking and talking is to us. One day our descendents may have telepathic abilities. Look at us compared to our distant ancestors.

That's my opinions of the episode. No offense to anyone who believes (like I do) that angels are supernatural beings created that way by God.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Fragmentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus4
Normal humans are living longer each generation. The BSG characters said their lifespan was 200. They also (like us) use 10% brain capacity right?
OT
For whatever it's worth, the idea that we only use 10% of our brains is a myth. Imaging of the human brain from MRIs and other tests show that we use pretty close to the full 100% even at rest.

Just thought I'd interrupt and take some of the fun out of life.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #9
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

WoW there is intelligent life in this forum.

BRAVO Pete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is one of the reason I'm so opposed to the new BSG. I studied all this at the time BSG was new.

I think you may have missed that Iblis WAS the last Cylon. Thats why under his human form, he still showed as the Imperious Leader. Or pure evil, satan, or what ever you wish to label him.

In the battle of light and dark, Ibils was the darkness. He gained power from the souls he was given. When they found him, the ship he had been in had been driven aground and all hands lost. Yet he was all powerful.

Glen Larson and his people put so much into this, that I still see different things no matter how many times I see the shows.
Bojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:50 PM   #10
Bojay
Daggit Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus4
I liked how that episode mixed Creation and Evolution beliefs.

To me the people on the Ship of Lights and Iblis and his followers were angels and devils and also advanced humans further along the evolutionary scale. Adama and Apollo were talking of how normal humans would be godlike to primitives.

That's my opinions of the episode. No offense to anyone who believes (like I do) that angels are supernatural beings created that way by God.
First off I see no reason for you to be sorry for having an opinion, or stating your beliefs. We dumb humans can only give it our best guess.

A lot of folks think the whole God trinity concept is extra terrestrial. In fact a few decades ago there was even a "Jesus is a spaceman" movement.

On our backward planet, its been proven over and over again that take any 2 bunches of humans, give one advanced technology., and the other will think they are gods.

Thru the time we got to spend with the crews and others that were with the Galactica. We saw them looked upon as many different things, from food, to gods , from heros, to enemies.
Bojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #11
amberstar
Strike Leader

Excellent find Peter!!
Old February 8th, 2005, 08:49 PM   #12
Pegasus4
Bad Email Address

Thanks. Usually on other message boards I've been at I saw people get touchy on religious subjects and flamewars breakout even tho the rules forbade that. Just wanted to play it safe.

I was at a convention in Pennsylvania a few years ago and several Galactica cast members were there. I remember Anne Lockhart describing this episode. How she almost laughed at the cloven hoof that she thought was sheep. She was like "What the hell?" And Iblis telling her that she was safe as long as he was inside her and how the censors went crazy over that line.
Pegasus4 is offline   Reply With Quote