Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old August 7th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thumbs up Tom's anime pick- Voices of a Distant Star

If you haven't seen this already, you are in for a treat. Voices of a Distant Star is not your typical cartoon. Its more a like a poem/video. That's the best way I can think of too describe it. Its not for everyone. Its like experimental independent films. If you want traditional action and adventure you are looking in the wrong place. What Voices is is gorgeous animation tied around a very sweet touching short story.

The crux of the story is two young kids, a boy and a girl, who don't have time to sort out their feelings for each other before they are seperated. And they are forced to keep in contact by phone messages. The world is consumed by its first contact with hostile extraterrestrials.

This is a totally different kind of animation than what you are probably used to. Most every frame has gorgeous backgrounds. Its beautiful just to watch. Some of the character could be drawn better, but its easy to overlook that. Infact what is really amazing is that this entire film was drawn by ONE MAN at home with his Apple Macintosh G4 400!!! And it looks like a whole company did it!

Its an incredible piece of work. And it shows just what one man can do against the Powers That Be when they are entrenched in their own bureacracy.

Give it a rental at least!

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 09:09 AM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Give it a rental at least!
Tom -

I'm beginning to think that the Anime forum is OUR forum! I did rent "Voices of a Distant Star" when it showed up at my local Blockbuster early this year. The animation is terrific, the story beautiful - you are right, it's like a love poem on DVD! It's kind of short (shorter than I would like), but it's worth a look. I plan on buying this one at some point, but haven't gotten round to it yet...!

Best,
Bryan

P.S. - I love your taste in anime!

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2004, 02:34 PM   #3
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Thanks Bryan!

We are kinda having a forum for two. Which is too bad since this is such a great genre. Its just typecast by pokemon and dragonball Z!

Oh I heard good news relating to this. The guy who did this anime, Makoto Shintai, got backing to do another film - "Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place". The animation looks up to Voices standards. Actually a little better technically with more emphasis on character movement. I think he can afford helpers now.

Old August 10th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #4
jonahlee
Warrior

Yes I was really impressed with this anime. Especially since it is the creation of one man, and in the original version even he and his girlfriend did the voices, which is included on the DVD.

"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Saphoo that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." -Piter de Vries

http://www.whaleofatale.net
jonahlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #5
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default "Voices of a Distant Star" soundtrack

I was cruising eBay for a nice bargain price on a copy of the DVD for Voices of a Distant Star today, when I happened upon something. I found out that there is soundtrack for "Voices"!

Voices of A Distant Star Soundtrack - AL8207

I can't remember what the music is like, but was pleased to know that such a short anime feature would be worthy of a soundtrack album. I'll have to watch the film again when I get it and see if the soundtrack is my kind of music.

Just thought you should know - in case you didn't already...

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:13 PM   #6
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

I really love the music in this anime. I'm not surprised there is a soundtrack out for it. Japan has alot of anime record albums wthat we never hear of.

I really loved this one.

Old August 10th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #7
thomas7g
out there somewhere

Colonial Fleets
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Oh! And I;m glad we got someone besides you and me to post here!

Good to hear from ya Jonah!