Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Shattered Worlds > The Worlds of Galactica...
Notices
The Worlds of Galactica... An online universe project for BSG fans

Old February 16th, 2005, 02:00 AM   #1
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Default Effecting a revival....

Right now there is little hope for a revival. The landscape has changed. Hollywood is hollywood...or sometimes Vancouver, but eitherway it seems to believe a revival is not a profitable use of investment funds.

And frankly things have changed enough so that the hopes for a bg revival does grow darker.

BUT...

The best hope we have is to realize we are all one big fanbase, no matter what other shows we like or don't. And that people who like battlestar in any form are brothers who have no real distinctions between each other.

But enough of that....what can WE do?

One hope besides not driving more fans to hate galactica is for us to provide a sort of virtual world where the revival is experienced by fans. And if in a few years we get this right, and really attract fans to the idea of living the fun world of Battlestar Galactica, then who knows...maybe by showing how fans love the world, we can attract some important attention.

If all goes well, you can come to Fleets...and it will BE a FLEET...you will appear in yur browser as videogame like version of yourself in warrior uniform. You will move your mouse and control your character and he will walk around a computer generated Battlestar Galactica. The world will be as realistic as a videogame. YOu will be able to explore the ship. Or fly to any of the other ships in the fleet and explore those too. Or you can head off toward any of the other Battlestar Galactica websites.

While you are within the fleet, you can chat with other people online by just walking up to them and talking. Or you can login to a terminal on the ship and read the forums thread and REPLY to a post.

As time goes by in a year or so we will start creating stories. That is while you are browsing suddenly everyonline will notice klaxons blazing everything turns red and you hear warning of a cylon attack! Then you can head down tot he hanger bay and launch in your viper and fight WITH your firends against friends who choose to be cylons! As you are all fighting to defend the ship, online people who are still wandering around the fleet would feel the hits on the ships.

And the fate of the ships would be decided by you!

Eventually, if we are good, maybe we can even talk some of the actors to play as their own characters. You caould literally fly wing with Starbuck or Apollo. Hell, maybe even fly with TWO Apollos and TWO starbucks!

We could have elaborate online games, where se would right a story with Iblis or Baltar and integrate them into the world. YOu would see and experince them as part of the fleet!

We could attract users from all over the internet from all over the world!

And PEOPLE IN HIGH PLACES WOULD NOTICE US.

Every day we would attract more fans. Everyday we would attract more talent to help build our world. The same way Richard gatherd fans to render the Second Coming Trailer, we would attract high quality writers, artists, and programmers to Fleets to build an even better world. And in a few years, the power of computings combined with the talent we can amass could make the greatest event on the net! CNN would have an article on us. OUr website would attract HUGE audiences.

And think of what the power of a computer can be in 4-5 years!! With all the talent we attract, we may MAKE a continuation by OURSELVES.

And everyone would experience Galactica in a positive light. No bitterness. No despair. Only hope and growth amid amazing art and experiences.

Now all we need to do is get over the hurdles. THe personal petty bickering, and all the things that usually bring fans against each other.

This is acheivable. The ability is there. Its just a matter of doing it.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #2
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

btw. Incase you haven't been following my threads. Sofar I managed to create a room. And I put it into a web browser. Then I put in a character. And as he was moving in the room I created for him, I moved around him in 3d, IN THE WEB BROWSER and I moved around the room.

Its all blocky and primitive...but its starting to work.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 08:56 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Couldn't 'o said it better myself Thomas!!!!!!!!! Long live Galactica!!!!!!!!!
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 12:37 AM   #4
BlueSquad2001
Warrior Ace

This sounds like a good idea, but a costly one. As Gene Simmons has said "There are millions of ideas everyday, but very few see the light of day. If it were easy, every one would be doing it." Gene Simmons (Sex,Money, KISS)
Hope someone gets motivated enough to hold meetings on this idea and figure out just what the obsticles will be, and how to remove them to get a clear path and production going.
Old June 10th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #5
nunweilr

Default Cost

It's decided by the Cost Benefit Analysis. We do it every day.
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:48 AM   #6
jjrakman

There's plenty of well wishes and good intentions. But any hope of a revival is dead. Period. Our childhood heroes are gone forever. It's really best to just come to terms with that.
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:03 AM   #7
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

There are those who disagree with that sentiment, jj.

Difficult? Yes. Out of our hands? Of course, as far as the ultimate decision is concerned.

But there is someone of influence interested in doing exactly this. And the legalities of such a project rest with another who says he wants to do this, too. There are issues to resolve and a terrible mistake to put behind them, of course, but to say any chance of a revival is dead is premature.

But it will die if we throw up our hands and walk away. The decision will be made based on dollars, and if it can't be shown that money can be made, it won't be done. So if we aren't there showing our support for the idea, showing that we'll put our money where our mouth is... Draw the picture.

BSG lives.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #8
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
There are those who disagree with that sentiment, jj.

Difficult? Yes. Out of our hands? Of course, as far as the ultimate decision is concerned.

But there is someone of influence interested in doing exactly this. And the legalities of such a project rest with another who says he wants to do this, too. There are issues to resolve and a terrible mistake to put behind them, of course, but to say any chance of a revival is dead is premature.

But it will die if we throw up our hands and walk away. The decision will be made based on dollars, and if it can't be shown that money can be made, it won't be done. So if we aren't there showing our support for the idea, showing that we'll put our money where our mouth is... Draw the picture.

BSG lives.

I am
Dawg
Wise words, Dawg.

A thing is not impossible simply because it has never been done. Granted, the odds are currently stacked against us but, that does not mean that the particular situation cannot be changed. Although, and in my own personal opinion, the odds are not quite stacked as high, now, as they were 2-1/2 years ago.

There IS hope.

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #9
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

There is always hope.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 12:50 PM   #10
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

I think jj was being a bit sarcastic...
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #11
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Well, even if he was - it felt good to say it.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM   #12
jjrakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
I think jj was being a bit sarcastic...

No, not really. I think that the game is pretty much up on this.

We've been buying books, comics, toys, models, replicas, etc. for 3 decades to show our support with our wallets.

We've been writing letters for decades to anyone and everyone who might have some power over this, and have even taken out ads.

Hollywood hates to take anything seriously that once contained feathered hair and/or disco.

Larson has been saying he's been wanting to do a movie for decades, and he holds the rights in his hands, which he's been sitting on...for decades.

All of this to no effect.

And worse than no effect, they gave us the opposite of what we've been asking for, a new crap show, with a new crap spinoff that's going to run with no end in sight.

I don't doubt that DeSanto is sincere, but I just don't think this is going to happen. You may as well pound your head into a brick wall.

But even if DeSanto were to pull something off, the earliest we'd see something is probably still years away, and the principals are fast approaching their 70's.

I think the best we can hope for is when the current drek has been forgotten, to hope someone else will remake the series 20 years from now, and be a little more faithful to the novelization (the source material).
Old June 30th, 2006, 04:09 AM   #13
KJ
Strike Leader

Well its two more years until the 30th Battlestar Galactica anniversary. Perhaps the success of Transformers next year and Glen Larson possibly hooking up with Tom DeSanto will change that landscape within the next 2 years.

Who knows and who can say what.

It took 30 years for X-Men to get a movie made, 40 years for both Superman (1978) and Spider-Man (2002) to get a movie made. And the te classic 1960's series Lost In Space and Mission Impossible movies came out after 30 plus years.

And hollywood is still adaptating old TV shows for the big screen as we speak.

Point is, it may take a few decades but we might just get there in the end.

We'll know enough by 2008 if thats the case for 1978's Battlestar Galactica won't we?

By then you could say whether or not its realistically time to move on.

KJ
Old June 30th, 2006, 09:39 PM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

KJ, you did see the "announcement" trailer, didn't you (for TF)? It only leaves you wanting more info but the type transition was majorly cool.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2006, 06:47 PM   #15
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

I'm fighting on, some people may think it is crazy but after going down the long and continuing road with Trekunited battling for Star Trek: Enterprise as well as pushing for the original Battlestar Galactica to come back for several years and anything can happen so i am going to sit tight and see
Aussie Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2006, 03:06 AM   #16
Scatha
Shuttle Pilot

I have been a fan since day one, since the original broadcasts and have just found this place on the net. I grew up on this show and never missed a broadcast, even have the boxed version of the old series on DVD. There's a lot of fans out there, perhaps even more then we know of. So not all hope is lost, we just have to find the way and means to gather these people onto this and other fansites.
Scatha is offline   Reply With Quote