Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 15th, 2011, 06:46 AM   #1171
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolloisall View Post
LOL, I have it!
In the words of Ramirez, "We are BROTHERS!"

Favourite technical martial arts book I'd recommend is
http://www.amazon.com/Yuen-Kay-San-W.../dp/1892515032
Yep, we are brothers, -- except I really try not to fight these days as it takes a lot longer to heal than it used to.

Looks like a good book. Thanks for the recommendation.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:02 AM   #1172
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon View Post
Lang thrives on the attention. He sincerely does have serious issues that require the services of a mental health professional (and that's not a joke but the real situation). One aspect of his mania is that he feels he is the absolute center piece of all that occurs in the world. He really does think that Universal execs, Ron Moore, Bryan Singer, and everyone here is sitting up nights worrying about what he's going to write next. He truly doesn't get what a cosmic joke he's become in everyone's eyes, -- or maybe on some level he does and maybe that's where most of the anger comes from.
Does anyone actually buy those online books of his? He seems to have quite a few of his "treatises" out there.

And it has occurred to me that if we constantly refer to him as we have recently, he may erroneously think that his ideas and theories are being tacitly validated by the members here.
Old December 15th, 2011, 07:12 AM   #1173
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I think he sells a couple on automatic orders from distributors. They almost immediately pop back up on the used sell list. It can't be much because as soon as negative responses are posted on Amazon, he answers that the person writing the critique hasn't purchased the book. The only way he would know that would be if the book sold less copies than the critiques he gets on the site.

Over the many years that's he wasted, I doubt he's sold more than 20 copies of all of his writings combined. I'm confident that none of these self-published books can be defined as profitable. Even with his recycling material, I'd guess that from a business standpoint, his salary for writing and producing them comes out to something like $0.03 an hour. That might be a bit optimistic.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:07 PM   #1174
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
There's that word again... it confounds me. My Liberal friends say I go too Conservative, my Conservative friends say I'm a Liberal-

How about this view- the oppressive Colonial Regime, with its rigid social values & unbreakable & unquestionable military-based chain of command led to the destruction of the Colonies, and, in the pilot, only Apollo & Starbuck's stepping outside of that chain with Purple & Orange Squadrons saved what was left; therefore TOS Galactica was a cautionary tale of the dangers of the inevitable downfall of us all due to Conservative control of not only society, but it's inconclusively initiated military response (and lack of viable alternative solutions) to perceived and/or misjudged real and/or unreal aggression.

What a Lefty show that actually was.... I'm gonna burn my costume, my lasers, my Galactica, all my Vipers, my Joyride Cylon & Viper, my landing bay diorama, my Raider, my Son's Basestar, all my Galactica comics, books & photo novels....
Hey, don't forget the gold coins/cubits. OBVIOUSLY, a gold-standard economy, based on capitalistic greed, with the warmongering military-industrial complex makes sure the rich get richer, and the poor get pooer!
NOT!
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #1175
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Nah, the people did what they did to survive with no real Godly help, save for the Ship of Lights restricting what a crazy alien was trying to do to the fleet.
Well, there is Adama's unshakeable belief in The Book Of The Word, which led them to Kobol, and escape from the Cylons. Also his and Apollo's spiritual sensitivities that made it easier for them to see through Iblis, and grasp who he was, before anyone else.
I would call that Godly help.
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:54 AM   #1176
137th Gebirg
Warrior

I would classify TOS as definitely more right-of-center. Post-holocaust, the Colonials were heavily militarized, under constant martial law/police state, and the Council of 12 were a band of childish lemming-like buffoons who blindly embraced their enemies in desperate bids for feel-good peace at the expense of their constituents and generally couldn't agree on the color of $h!te.

Hmmm...

Kind of prescient, if you look at what's going on now in our world...
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #1177
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
I would classify TOS as definitely more right-of-center. Post-holocaust, the Colonials were heavily militarized, under constant martial law/police state,
The overall structure maybe, but like Airwolf (another Bellisario related series), the meat of the episodes is really pretty centerist IMO.
But then, MY "centerist" can be someone else's loony Left, or radical Right.
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:34 AM   #1178
137th Gebirg
Warrior

^^^ Very true, it's all a matter of perspective. But in TOS, there is the very heavy reference to scripture, which has generally been deep within the purview of conservatism, plus reference that Apollo made in one episode to an "Armaments Day", like it was some kind of celebration of Colonial military power - also a very conservative idea with a hawkish bent.

Granted, in these cases, we should transcend projections of our own society upon another society where life-spans are in the hundreds of years, who has been in a constant state of war for over 1000 years. Numbers like that are difficult for Earth humans to fathom and, as such, perceptions of political leanings shouldn't apply in-universe. To a Universal bean-counter, however, I suspect most of them are incapable of making such distinctions. Ergo, yes, a faithful continuation or retelling of TOS would definitely not track with today's "sensibilities".
Old December 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM   #1179
Senmut
Strike Leader

Yes. We must constantly remember that the Colonies are NOT our own culture.
Old December 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #1180
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Folks -

Just a polite reminder to keep the discussion on topic. If you wish to continue the side discussions recently posted, I can move them to a thread of their own.

Regards,

Gemini1999
Colonial Fleets Moderator

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:24 AM   #1181
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

So as not to derail things much further, I've written my 2011 response to Mr. Andrew Fullen. Its located in the Cafe section of Fleets at http://colonialfleets.com/forums/sho...397#post308397 .

As he scowers Fleets constantly for updates on what a few of us write, he's sure to get the message soon.

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:55 AM   #1182
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Well written, Russell.

Although I think your summation paragraphs toward the end speak the loudest singular truth - that the rest of your essay won't make a damn bit of difference to his perception of reality. More's the pity. You tried...

I still baffle at the thought that he thinks you're an RDM "stealth marketing" advocate somehow. Seriously??? He clearly hasn't been paying attention.
Old December 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #1183
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Reasons why we will not see a proper Galactica series anytime soon (from a TV producer mentality):

1- Its concept is inherently a downer. Big defeat from the get go. Right there new viewers will be turned off. No quick turn around to victory by the end of the pilot. (Maybe we can just make it a continuing war, not a crushing defeat that sets the tone)

2- Just been done. And ratings were not that great after the initial season. The BSG potential viewer well is rather dry right now.

3- The main characters are too good. We need angst. (We could do it like a Twilight in space...)

4- We just got out of Iraq; viewers are tired of military stuff now. (Let's lose the military angle & make it all research vessels with young hot scientists...)

5- The Egyptian thing is not in style. Egypt is middle east, and middle east is not good. (We could make it a Mayan motif instead!)

6- The world socio-economic structure is changing dramatically. Protests are breaking out in many places. A series about fighting for your way of life & what you believe MAY not be the best thing to put on in these times.

Yeah, forget this. Where was that other project we were considering? Oh, here it is- DALLAS 2012!! Yeah. And no expensive FX....

Old December 20th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #1184
137th Gebirg
Warrior

^^^ Twilight in Space... Oy vay!

I like the Mayan angle, though. With 2012 around the corner, there could be a reasonable tie-in to market on the mass-psychological hysteria with ancient prophecies. You really couldn't escape the Ancient Astronaut hook, though, as that is the core premise for the BSG universe with "Life Here Began Out There".
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #1185
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

I don't think the ancient Egyptians will ever go out of style. The Mayans link to the original premise but they don't have the WOW-factor of ancient Egypt.

Not sure I agree with the dark premise being a limitation for today's media.

Also not sure I agree that things need a quick resolution. Seems to me that the media has turned in exactly the reverse direction, with stories being drug out for weeks (in television) and across a few movies in films.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #1186
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
I don't think the ancient Egyptians will ever go out of style. The Mayans link to the original premise but they don't have the WOW-factor of ancient Egypt.
I agree, I was just taking a semi-farcical jab at the suits there.

Remember Trials & Tribble-ations? Imagine if some production team could slavishly reproduce Galactica like that?
I'd be in Heaven!

It would be so retro-cool, it would garner SUCH interest!!!

...it is a dream I have....
Old December 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #1187
Punisher454
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 137th Gebirg View Post
^^^ Twilight in Space... Oy vay!
Maybe a Buck Rogers remake would go over better right now, but replace Twiki with a new sparkly "Vorvon" character overburdened with teen angst.
To help balance the cast we could also resurrect Jerry Orbach with CGI as a more hip Lars Mangros with a Lenny Brisco type wisecrack to end every scene.

Well okay, maybe not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buck_laserhand.jpg (34.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg jerry orbach space rockers.jpg (50.5 KB, 6 views)
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:08 PM   #1188
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Reasons why we will not see a proper Galactica series anytime soon (from a TV producer mentality):

1- Its concept is inherently a downer. Big defeat from the get go. Right there new viewers will be turned off. No quick turn around to victory by the end of the pilot. (Maybe we can just make it a continuing war, not a crushing defeat that sets the tone)
Disagree. Independence Day's first battle was a major defeat for Earth. Turned around with some seemingly absurd notion of a laptop being able to implant a virus into a the attackers' mothership, and the Earth won. Ended up being a blockbuster.

Star Wars and The Empire Stikes Back both ended up starting with downer notes. (Rebels slaughtered/ defeated, and Princess Leia captured. Luke attacked by wampa, and the rebellion routed from Hoth with MAJOR casualties. Also, TESB ended on a downer. Han Solo captured and on the way to Jabba the Hutt. Both of them ended up blockbusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolloisall
2- Just been done. And ratings were not that great after the initial season. The BSG potential viewer well is rather dry right now.
Disagree. There is plenty of potential for Galactica viewership on either side of the fence...whether it's Larson's version, or Moore's version. It just needs to be done in a way that can appeal to both.

Quote:
3- The main characters are too good. We need angst. (We could do it like a Twilight in space...)
Partially agree. Characters need to be less than perfect, but not overly dysfunctional. In other words, human. TWILIGHT?! Twilight you say?! To the gallows with 'im!

Quote:
4- We just got out of Iraq; viewers are tired of military stuff now. (Let's lose the military angle & make it all research vessels with young hot scientists...)
So.....Lost in Space.

Quote:
5- The Egyptian thing is not in style. Egypt is middle east, and middle east is not good. (We could make it a Mayan motif instead!)
How about Hobbitian? Then we could make it Middle Earth instead.

Quote:
6- The world socio-economic structure is changing dramatically. Protests are breaking out in many places. A series about fighting for your way of life & what you believe MAY not be the best thing to put on in these times.
Problem with this world is the world has become a bunch of wussies. Jump at the slightest touch over the latest wounds. I remember when our world used to be a little tougher.
M*A*S*H* was actually an allegory about the VietNam conflict, but was made to take place during the Korean War. The execs thought as you did...but folk are smarter than that. Sure it was comedy, but it was also heartwrenching drama.

Quote:
Yeah, forget this. Where was that other project we were considering? Oh, here it is- DALLAS 2012!! Yeah. And no expensive FX....
What?! Why have we not taken 'im to the gallows yet?!
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1189
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by martok2112 View Post
What?! Why have we not taken 'im to the gallows yet?!

Old December 20th, 2011, 04:43 PM   #1190
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:

FINE! Take the Imperious Leader to the gallows!!
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #1191
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

MU HU HU H HA HA HA!!!!
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #1192
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

AHEM!

Yonder gallows --

You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #1193
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
AHEM!

Yonder gallows --

I repent of all my sins.
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #1194
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Steve,

The ratings projections are a significant factor. No matter what the reasons, no Galactica effort has produced the ratings needed to support the series at the level required to make it an ongoing effort. GINO plunged under its support levels in the middle of season 2. It should have been killed then. The original missed the mark 2/3rds of the way through the first year. G1980 hardly got out of the gate. Caprica never grabbed an audience either.

You can make excuses for the reasons why all day but the hard numbers don't support launching a major film effort. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done and become a huge hit but the numbers on the books suggest otherwise.

All my best,

Russell
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #1195
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
GINO plunged under its support levels in the middle of season 2. It should have been killed then.
Any ideas why it wasn't? I mean, I'm glad it lasted to an end, but I'm confused...
Old December 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #1196
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

GINO continued because, quite honestly, there was nothing else in the Sci-Fi stables that could garner its level of ratings, however anemic.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:09 PM   #1197
Apolloisall
Warrior Ace

Quote:
GINO continued because, quite honestly, there was nothing else in the Sci-Fi stables that could garner its level of ratings, however anemic.
That's not a good thing future-Galactica-wise...
Old December 20th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #1198
Senmut
Strike Leader

It's not a good thing for ANY good sci-fi, good sci-fi wise.
Old December 20th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1199
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Steve,

The ratings projections are a significant factor. No matter what the reasons, no Galactica effort has produced the ratings needed to support the series at the level required to make it an ongoing effort. GINO plunged under its support levels in the middle of season 2. It should have been killed then. The original missed the mark 2/3rds of the way through the first year. G1980 hardly got out of the gate. Caprica never grabbed an audience either.

You can make excuses for the reasons why all day but the hard numbers don't support launching a major film effort. That doesn't mean it couldn't be done and become a huge hit but the numbers on the books suggest otherwise.

All my best,

Russell
Understood.
Old December 21st, 2011, 05:48 AM   #1200
TwoBrainedCylon
Imperious Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAFounder
Cylon.org

Quote:
I'm not sure I agree with this. Stargate was hitting close to the ratings and there were pitches at Sci-Fi to give the GINO money to Stargate and let them run with it. Also, just about anything that was shown could garner similar figures. Recall that the cheap movies of the week and reruns of old films like "The Day After" were beating the GINO ratings.

GINO had the appeal that its format was such that Bonnie thought it could bring in the female viewers. We now know that some of the "fans" were hired to post on the various boards but at the time there were a lot of female posters praising GINO. Everything else was seen as a primarily guy-oriented show. Bonnie Hammer firmly thought that GINO was going to turn around and skyrocket in the ratings and pushed Ron and company to develop more soap opera storylines. (I know the claim from Ron was that they did their own thing but that conflicts with the other stuff I heard. I can't say I know Bonnie had the direct influence is a hard fact but it is my understanding of the situation at the time.)

Consequently, GINO was given more running room than its ratings deserved. For better or worse, its ratings are now a gauge for the potential audience of any follow-on series or films even though the format was targeting an entirely different audience than the one most likely to go see a "Battlestar Galactica" movie.

Suffice to say that whatever the reasons, pitching a Galactica film and saying there is a built in audience has got to be a hard sell these days.

All my best,

Russell