Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old October 29th, 2003, 09:00 PM   #1
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

The BSG DVD TRIVIA THREAD

Okay folks! Here's your chance to point out anything special, funny, unusual or otherwise worthy of mention in the new BSG DVD set!

Before I mention my finds, let me quote one of the funniest lines in the series, one of a couple of jokes spoken by Cylons:

===============================================
-- From Saga of a Star World, when the Cylons realize the Colonials have out-guessed their little surprise attack:

Imperious Leader: "How can this be? We took them completely by surprise!"

Centurion: "Apparently it was not as big a surprise as we hoped..."

This always cracks me up!!!
===============================================

Okay, now for two interesting bits of trivia. Someone mentioned the first one long ago but now that we have DVDs I can point you all right to it. Insert Disk 1 Side 1, Saga of a Star World, Chapter 4, Time 31:55. In green in the upper left corner of the Galactica's monitor screen you will clearly see: "Made in USA"!

And for the second bit of trivia, there appear to be actually 2 different joysticks in the vipers. Again, in Saga of a Star World, Chapter 3, Time 22:24, you can pause and see that 2 of the 3 buttons on the joystick read "Stores" and (I think) "Camera Pulse", where "Stores" is used to fire the weapons (I can't read the center button - somebody please let me know if you find it). Throughout the rest of the series, the 3 buttons are "Fire", "Turbo" and "IM". (The last one, "IM" I don't know what it stands for, does anybody know? I think it is used to brake/reverse).

That's it for my trivia for today!!! Please feel free to post yours here too as you find them!!!

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:04 PM   #2
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

IM is Inverse Manuever. (reverse thrusters)

I'm hoping that I will finally see that, ahem, "message" in the lights of Caprica that I've heard much about.

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Jewels! Thanks about the IM stuff!
Lights of Caprica? Ooh, a new one to check out! Guess I better do some more scanning...

Old October 29th, 2003, 09:38 PM   #4
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Oh Muffit, NO! it's a bad word--I just want to know they haven't been making it up for 25 yahren!

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old October 30th, 2003, 06:34 AM   #5
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Screen Cap from Battlestar Galactica Fan Club:

Can you see it? It's in there...

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; October 30th, 2003 at 01:03 PM..
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 09:36 AM   #6
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

What is wrong with me that I've never been able to see it?

I did notice that on the Lion King DVD they have removed "sex".

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2003, 12:12 PM   #7
jewels

Colonial Fleets

If the second word in the lights is "off" it's easier to read that

Look at the biggest concentration of lights in the right foreground.

UPS is saying my set won't be in until 11/3

Old October 30th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #8
137th Gebirg
Warrior

For those who still can't see it, I have provided a convenient mod to the image:

Enjoy!
Old October 30th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #9
137th Gebirg
Warrior

Two bits of trivia:

1. A somewhat klunky variation of the opening BSG music was used in the episode "Take the Celestra" during an award ceremony for Commander Kronus (Commander of the Celestra and a one-time Commander of the Battlestar Rycon). This implies that the theme music is actually an official Colonial Anthem, either the Anthem for the Colonies itself, or a military anthem akin to music that is used by the branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. I believed some of the novelizations referred to the song by name as "Star Kobol" (also the name of the ship on which the armistace between the Colonies and the Cylons was to be signed in the pilot episode), inferring that it may have been the planetary/national anthem for the Colonials' original homeworld.

2. The magnetic solenite mines/grenades used throughout the series (particularly in Gun on Ice Planet Zero, Living Legend and Fire in Space) were made from old 20-round magazines that are used in M16/AR15 assault rifles. When I first watched the show at age 8 I of course didn't notice that, but when they started showing them on Sci-Fi a few years back, I instantly recognized them. The tip-off are the angled bottoms and ribbed imprints of the box. The producers just put a switch and light on the top with a silver dial from Radio Shack (probably to represent some timer). Pretty nifty little prop. I plan on making a few for myself. They would make cool refrigerator magnets!
Old October 30th, 2003, 03:01 PM   #10
Belloby
Bad Email Address

I can answer the joystick question.

There was one joystick designed specifically for the Viper with the Forward, Thrust and Inverse Manuever on it.

The other one that you see is actually the joystick to the camera the John Dykstra used for special effects.

Since the Galactica was always edited till the last minutes(rumours at the time said the film was delivered one hour prior to it's Sunday night airing) Dykstra had no time to go back and reshoot any joystick shots. So he shot himself handling his camera's joystick.

There was maybe one shot in the entire series that I was able to tell the difference between Dykstra's stick and the Viper one. But now with the advent of DVD, we can tell every single time Mr. Dykstra had to become "extra creative" in order to get the job done.
Belloby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:17 AM   #11
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default M-16 clips...

I had not noticed that early on myself, but funny thing is, I have two of those clips in my closet right now, one of them loaded with live ammo!!!

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 07:00 PM   #12
Westy
Warrior

Default There were Kennedy's in the colonys

at time index 0:42:08 in the movie on the DVD when Apollo is on the Freighter Gemini looking for solium leaks, the name Kennedy is clearly seen on a pipe near Apollo's left hand.
Westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2003, 09:40 PM   #13
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Cool Westy! I'll check it out...

Old November 1st, 2003, 12:01 PM   #14
Bijou88

I always thought the IM on the Joystick was short for Impulse. By my reckoning, this would be used for maneuvers that require short bursts of thrust. By my way of thinking, the reverse thrust maneuver performed from time to time depended on the skill of the warrior flying the viper rather than a single push of a button.
Old November 1st, 2003, 12:07 PM   #15
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi Bijou88! I think I haven't welcomed you yet, so welcome to Colonial Fleets!
Old November 1st, 2003, 02:07 PM   #16
Bijou88

Thank you for the welcome!
Old November 1st, 2003, 02:36 PM   #17
Westy
Warrior

Default Not all Cylons are created equal and the ever present lizard!

In the scene where the 2 Centurions enter the Imperious Leaders chamber to report that all baseships are in position for the attack to begin I noticed 2 really interesting things:

#1: Why is one centurion shorter than the other? If they're robots, why aren't they all the same?

#2: The ever present lizard? A lizard sitting on the Imperious Leader's left arm/shoulder.

The lizard moves too. If you watch it when he is told by a Centurion that the Battlestar Galactica survives, you will see it moving around a bit.

Last edited by Westy; November 1st, 2003 at 03:09 PM..
Old November 1st, 2003, 06:52 PM   #18
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Those are both cool observations Westy. Isn't this fun?
Old November 1st, 2003, 07:47 PM   #19
Westy
Warrior

Default it's VERY fun!

I think I've watched the whole movie 2 times now. I can't wait to lay my hands on the whole series

Last edited by Westy; November 2nd, 2003 at 11:57 AM..
Old November 7th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #20
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Hi all! I finally found a good snapshot of the second joystick! Go to disk 2 side 2, Gun on Ice Planet Zero part 2, chapter 3, time index 26:10. You will very clearly see the 3 buttons and their names:

Stores
Camera Auto
Camera Pulse

Interestingly, if this were temp and the real joystick names/footage were to be put in later, you can clearly see the background of the console is correct (horizon indicator, etc). Why would they film the right background but wrong foreground? Also kinda funny, in this ep you can clearly see someone wearing a watch moving the joystick!

Love this trivia...

Old November 11th, 2003, 07:06 PM   #21
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Did anyone notice this:
In Fire in Space, Sheba launches into the 1st battle (the Cylon ramming attack) with a Pegasus helmet. During the battle her closeups show her in a Galactica helmet inside her viper. Oops.

(Muffit, thanks for telling me where this thread was)

Old November 12th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #22
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by jewels
Did anyone notice this:
In Fire in Space, Sheba launches into the 1st battle (the Cylon ramming attack) with a Pegasus helmet. During the battle her closeups show her in a Galactica helmet inside her viper. Oops.

(Muffit, thanks for telling me where this thread was)
If I remember correctly that happened quite often in series with even other pilots!
Old November 12th, 2003, 08:34 AM   #23
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default yup...

I had noticed that one a long time ago. I guess they used some flight footage when they originally shot Anne Lockhart in Living Legend and reused them in Fire in Space after they had shot new stuff where she was wearing the Galactica flight helmet.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 09:05 AM   #24
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Take the Celestra

I don't know if anyone's seen this bit before, but while I was watching "Take the Celestra" yesterday, I noticed two things:

1) A scene where Sheba was carrying a Galactica helmet in her hands (like others have mentioned in other episodes).

and

2) When Starbuck and Apollo land on the Celestra and the ships pull into the bay (studio shot), the Viper in the foreground (I think that it was Starbuck's) has a very short nose ahead of the cockpit and if you look very closely at the bottom of the screen, you can see that the "skin" from the bottom of the nose is missing - you can see the structural ribs inside.

It was really weird - I had to run it back and freeze the frame to make sure that I wasn't seeing things....

My best to all,
Bryan
________
UGGS
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 10:23 AM   #25
jewels

Colonial Fleets

The one with the ribs was for shooting the closeups of them in the cockpit: it was literally a partially finished viper. That was a bad blooper on the cameraman/director's part if the ribs showed.

Somebody (probably Peter) had a website link months ago that showed the partial viper and the full size mockup and some of the construction too.

Old November 12th, 2003, 10:28 AM   #26
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

I beleive some of those pics (or similar) can be seen at CA, in the BSG section that talks about the Viper.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #27
jewels

Colonial Fleets

http://www.cloudster.com/Sets&Vehicl...er/viper30.jpg

this is the forced perspective, partial mockup (thanks peter!)

Old November 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #28
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Julie -

That's the one that I saw. I was just surprised how they used it from the side and all - the nose was so bloody short! I knew about the forced perspective Viper, but I couldn't beleive when I saw the bottom half of it in the scene. The pic you referenced is probably from the same episode - you can see how they rolled it in on that dolly. If it weren't for the editing - the scene would have been very effective.

Thanks for the visual reference...

Bryan
________
Cellin
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2003, 04:50 PM   #29
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Saved by that Recon Viper and CORA?

“Deftly done Lieutenant, just like in the old days, aboard the Rising Star”.

I heard this on OWD's Radio Galactica, then saw it on a DVD, it was cut for ad time by Scifi, on the five episode rotation days, go figure?

Back when Starbuck was torn between Athena and Cassiopeia and that guy had shaken down Starbuck said Lieutenant with a bit of Beeb accent, a coincident, I think not!

Last edited by dvo47p; November 12th, 2003 at 04:59 PM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #30
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

I found another trivia tidbit folks!!! This one is /really/ cool, wonder if anyone else has seen this?

In "Murder on the Rising Star", chapter 4, time index 27:39 or so, you will see a pan of a ship go by with red Galactica lettering on its side. If you invert your head or flip your screen upside down, you will /clearly/ see the word "UTAH" emblazoned on the side of the ship!!!

Utah of course being the center of Mormon theology.

I practically jumped when I saw it, and definitely had a good chuckle. I think stuff like this is /so/ cool!

Check it out! (I can't make out the second word, the "L' is backwards, perhaps it's intentionally gibberish to hide the first word).