Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old December 9th, 2003, 07:45 AM   #1
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Stargate Ok, seriously. Real? Help me out here.

This has been bugging me since the first time someone said to me about wanting science fiction to be more on the realistic level.

Why?

Can the people that believe in the *realism* aspect honestly tell me why you want realism in your science fiction? If it becomes more real, more down to earth does it not move away from the science fiction aspect *of* science fiction?

I JUST DON'T GET THIS!

Let's focus on the aspect of what were saying here. To me when i walk into a book store or a movie place and i want science fiction, i look for the science fiction secttion. There it is i say to myself, that's what i want to do tonight, escape from reality. I want to forget my job, my worries, and for just a few hours leave reality behind.

Every day that passes by it seems to become harder and harder to leave reality behind.It's like turning on CBS, ABC and NBC and seeing next week's promo's for the next great *reality* based show. This is what i want to leave behind. I don't want to see someone stranded on a Island, someone eating worms and puking in the corner. I want to *leave* that all behind. Science fiction is and always has been the one thing that i could count on to give me that break from true life. But not anymore. Now everyone wants to put realism into the one thing that alot of people use to escape this crazy world we live in. It makes no sense and again i ask why? Honestly i do not get it.

Now to the show. The basis of the new production is to give the viewer a sense of realism with the hand held camera's, the shaking decumentry feel to it, the overall premis of actual space flight. All this is actually great if that's what i was looking for. If i wanted to see this type of situation i would tune in the discovery channel and watch a documentry. Plain and simple. The producers seemed to catch the realism bug and put it to good use, in some aspects. G suits, space flight, and sound but forget it all together in other spots. If your going to make this real than make it real, don't put this in or that in and think you've accomplished something cutting edge. It doesn't work folks, it just doesn't.

Simply, why can't i loose myself in science fiction anymore? Why has hollywood in it's infinate wisdom decided that we need realism in scifi?

Again, i'm mystified.

PS, didn't take long did it folks. Did everyone see the promo last night on the scifi channel for it's own reality based tv series?

I rest my case.

Scifi is dead.

Old December 9th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

My sentiments as well guys. I watch sci-fi for an escape, is that not why it is called sci-fi
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:15 AM   #3
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default Good point...

I have asked some of the same questions recently. Why can't we have the grand space epic that was BSG???? Who says that now every darn show has to be a reality show. WHo says sci-fi has to be totally realistic now???

The most popular sci-fi franchises are those that escape realism and offer swashbuckling adventure in the grand epic style. Just think about Star Wars. It gave us a sort of "realistic" feel to the universe because it was a bit gritty and dirty, but it still escaped enough realism with its space flight sequences and whatnot.

Why can't it be the same with BSG? I LIKED the fact that we had heros (not flawed idiots), I LIKED the fact that the flew the vipers in airplane style (after all, Star Wars did the same, did they not?). I LIKED the grand epic space saga with good against evil, presented in a formal style of cinema...

That is what BSG was and will always be in my mind. A remake of BSG should have kept that intact.

I spit on this reality craze of today...

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:18 AM   #4
Starbuck
I'm 100% female

Default I want escapism!

Quote:
Originally posted by Titon
I JUST DON'T GET THIS!
I don't either. But the majority seem to want realism in their television programming. I get plenty of "realism" on my job (I work for Child Protective Services). I certainly don't feel a need to watch it on TV!
Starbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #5
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Just went to the Sci-fi bd and they have a whole new batch of sock puppets praising this POS
S
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote