Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:02 AM   #31
KJ
Strike Leader

Default Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
No one hotter than mister DeSanto.
Agreed!

Although, does he have another credit on the 'Transformers 2' sequel, as i've heard he's got other projects on his plate (Teen Titans DTV DVD/Blu-Ray), and the sequel will no doubt rake in more dollars, regardly of Michael Bay's very questionable directing skills and stupid comical bits. DeSanto getting another credit on TF2 for example would only enhance his firepower getting a multi-million dollar BSG movie (of the 1978 original) made for real, once TF2 makes even more money this summer!

I agree with Titon, less re-imaginning and far more scope of the original series themes, along with today's technological advances in making big budget movies for $100 and $150 million dollars.

Making a Galactica movie with CGI and all the 21st century digital computer applications would be sweet, also if you include the lure of big budget Sci-Fi movie being show on the IMAX format or digital 3D screens. Done right, the 1978 series with its themes translated for the big screen in the 21st century is a no-brainer.

Why hollywood and its producers never capitised on this when many TV shows are given this treatment (even the questionable ones) today, constantly suprises me.

KJ
Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM   #32
StarshipTrooper
Bad Email Address

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Admin
BattlestarGalacticaClub.com

Cool Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

Even the Sci-Fi Channel is playing dumb...

As SCI FI's Battlestar ends, is Universal adapting another for the movies?

Just as SCI FI's acclaimed series Battlestar Galactica enters its final episodes, Universal has quietly entered into negotiations with original series creator Glen A. Larson to write and produce a big-screen version of the franchise, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The movie would reportedly have no connection to the SCI FI series and would relaunch the story in a new medium with the characters Adama, Starbuck and Baltar.

Larson produced the original Battlestar, a kid-friendly ABC show, in 1978, in the wake of the success of Star Wars.

SCI FI's series, under the direction of executive producer Ronald Moore, took the premise but completely changed the franchise into an adult drama with themes of politics, war, religion, torture and destiny.

Universal had no comment to the Reporter.

http://scifiwire.com/2009/02/as-sci-...the-movies.php
StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM   #33
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon View Post
Universal know's they dropped the ball on Galactica and now it's time to do it right.
It's always occurred strange to me that, as the Star Wars films were making a huge amount of money at the Box Office, at the time they had two billion dollar movie helmers (Bryan Singer and Tom DeSanto) working on the show......they choose to drop a Battlestar continuation and go for a 'remake' ?

Has Ron Moore's remake made a Billion Dollars ?
No.

Has Tom DeSanto got a track record of working on movies which have earned a Billion Dollars ?
Yes.

Something tells me that as soon as this 'sliding in the ratings' remake is over, they'll still keep making money from the DVDs, but they'll also give Tom DeSanto this project and say "Go make us a billion dollars"

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:12 PM   #34
jjrakman

I have to say I just have a sinking feeling that these "negotiations" will turn into Larson selling the movie rights to Universal so they can push out a movie based on the series that shall not be named. That Larson is simply sabre-rattling to get the asking price up.

But this is pure speculation on my part, I'm sure there's others better in the know.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM   #35
StarshipTrooper
Bad Email Address

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Admin
BattlestarGalacticaClub.com

Cool Re: Battlestar Galactica to the Big Screen?

It's Jaeson!

So who's girlfriend are you trying to steal now?

StarshipTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:50 PM   #36
jjrakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarshipTrooper View Post

So who's girlfriend are you trying to steal now?

What!?!??
Old February 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #37
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

I hope its not Tom DeSanto's girlfriend, or he might get jolly upset and change his mind !!!

ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 05:53 PM   #38
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrakman View Post
I have to say I just have a sinking feeling that these "negotiations" will turn into Larson selling the movie rights to Universal so they can push out a movie based on the series that shall not be named. That Larson is simply sabre-rattling to get the asking price up.

But this is pure speculation on my part, I'm sure there's others better in the know.
Jaeson -

The only problem with that is that TNS has completely wrapped production. They've even already completed filming for a direct to DVD movie that's due out this summer. The sets have been torn down, costumes, props, etc are being sold off. If Universal was going to do their own feature film based off the current series, I find it difficult to believe that they would want to start completely over just for one film.

I'm hopeful about the movie announcement and unless someone can come up with something concrete that says otherwise, that's where my head is at with it.

Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:27 PM   #39
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Larson spent a pretty penny getting the rights from Universal. I don't think he's going to turn around and give 'em back.

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."
-Albert Einstein
monolith21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:28 PM   #40
jjrakman

I don't want to piss in anybody's cornflakes, but...

Don't productions tear down and rebuild sets all the time?

I do have to say, it's kind of wierd that they tore down the sets, if onlybecause they're continuing on with Caprica, and I'd imagine they'd want to put out some more direct to DVD movies.

Anyway, National Kick A Galactica Fan In The Crotch Day is coming up on April 2nd, so I won't be holding my breath.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM   #41
jjrakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by monolith21 View Post
Larson spent a pretty penny getting the rights from Universal. I don't think he's going to turn around and give 'em back.
Unless it means a sizable profit.
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:10 PM   #42
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

There is reason for optimism.....

and there is reason for skepticism.

We are all familiar with the past and, many times, use it as our guide for how to proceed in the future.

My advice.. don't be too euphoric or skeptical.

"Give it a chance"..........

(Runs like hell!!!!)
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM   #43
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Ouch!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:16 PM   #44
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
With all due respect, I dispute that. Ron Moore has had over 5 years, from the time of mini-series to now, and has "re-tooled" the original BSG formula. Where has it gotten him (at the end of his series run) ?

Frankly, I think that a healthy dose of "feel good" shows and some true epic heroism is what this country needs, not just another dose of Hollywood-scripted "reality". When I want reality, I watch the news or read the news reports, I don't flip on the Sci-Fi channel.
I had meant only visual changes , the story, original actors roles, character names etc would not need to be changed at all.

I won't go deeply into the whole did RDM do good or bad thing but i will say i was happy with what i seen from a show standpoint but it didn't change my love of the original one bit but i believe that a good study of the show and what we seen in The Second Coming and the DeSanto/Singer effort could help a future original movie because you can say well this sort of sexual stuff is out, first names out, Vipers like the ones in Second Coming are in so you take the best bits and add them in the mix with the 1978/79 story etc and voila one original movie with new tech added for continuing the story 30 years after Hand of God.

We all been presented an opportunity here, sure the story is only a rumor but the people can say they want the rumor to be fact but we'll have to move fast since time stops for nobody and i am aware people been hearing reports like this for years only to be let down but the opportunities are getting fewer as the years go by and if we the fans want the original Galactica the time has to be now while people are still discussing the pros and cons of such an idea and not while the attention is firmly on BSG/Caprica.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 04:59 AM   #45
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I sure hope you guys are right. The 2 trailers that were made show what can be done with so little. Just give Tom and Glen the green light and they will make a masterpiece.
Real Sci-Fi and not some stupid distorted drama. The original was inspirational and thats what we need right now
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:37 AM   #46
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Warrior View Post
I had meant only visual changes , the story, original actors roles, character names etc would not need to be changed at all.
Ok, *whew!!

Quote:

I won't go deeply into the whole did RDM do good or bad thing but i will say i was happy with what i seen from a show standpoint but it didn't change my love of the original one bit but i believe that a good study of the show and what we seen in The Second Coming and the DeSanto/Singer effort could help a future original movie because you can say well this sort of sexual stuff is out, first names out, Vipers like the ones in Second Coming are in so you take the best bits and add them in the mix with the 1978/79 story etc and voila one original movie with new tech added for continuing the story 30 years after Hand of God.

We all been presented an opportunity here, sure the story is only a rumor but the people can say they want the rumor to be fact but we'll have to move fast since time stops for nobody and i am aware people been hearing reports like this for years only to be let down but the opportunities are getting fewer as the years go by and if we the fans want the original Galactica the time has to be now while people are still discussing the pros and cons of such an idea and not while the attention is firmly on BSG/Caprica.

Keep the Larson Galactica just the way it is!!!

I'll agree that some of the interior could stand to be updated but, overall, I liked the differences in style aboard the Galactica and some of the other ships that were shown. I certainly don't want to see common, ordinary, Earth-like items on board (like corded telephone handsets).

However, it would be nice if there were some direct references, perhaps pictures, of ancient Earth artifacts that show Kobolian roots, to tie Earth in as the 13th tribe.
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM   #47
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Updating material is always good but remember IF it's a continuation just how much of the old girl can you physically update?

I like Tom's redesigns but there's only so much of her you can change.

Hopefully we'll get a chance to see her fly again finally!
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:58 AM   #48
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

I totally agree BST and nix the neck ties as well
Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:59 AM   #49
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Don
Maybe your "G" and Ken's bridge
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:19 AM   #50
dah66
Warrior

I'll believe this once I have seen the movie, read the novelization, and own the DVD.

dah66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 06:50 AM   #51
jjrakman

Quote:
If they do a remake, I actually wouldn't mind if they stayed closer to the novelization and brought more of the reptilian aspects of the Cylons in.

Quote:
Updating material is always good but remember IF it's a continuation just how much of the old girl can you physically update?
For the exterior, just greater detail I would think. For the interior, it would probably depend on if it's a remake or continuation.

If a remake, you could probably go hog wild to a point.

If a Continuation, I imagine it would be much like remodeling a house. Some old elements remain, some old elements are removed, some new elements are added.
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM   #52
Aussie Warrior
Warrior

Interior changes would also have to depend on what the Galactica done in the 30 years after Hand of God like did the Galactica and fleet have time to stop, did they continuing travelling always scrambling to be ahead the Cylons?

If they kept going I think the bridge wouldn't be like the DeSanto/Singer idea because the Galactica would have to been stopped for a long time to effect such overhauls because well you need the Bridge unless they worked elsewhere during the overhaul
Old February 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM   #53
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post

"Give it a chance"..........

(Runs like hell!!!!)
***waits till BST's lost his sense of caution***

THWACK!

Just hang in there and give TPTB a couple of weeks to sort it out. And smile a little and hope a little just because it's been a few years since you've had that opportunity as a BSG fan.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 01:15 PM   #54
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

This does sound like good news if TRUE. Hopefully the original cast would be involved in the project and not new actors playing the characters we all still like to this day. Tom Desanto would also be a great addition to the project since Transformers rocked IMHO. I also remember that Larson did make mention of a continuation in an interview at the digital bits a while back.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #55
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

I'm not whistling dixie yet. But at least I'm whistling.

-Edward James Olmos
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM   #56
oldwardaggit
You old war daggit!

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner/Webmaster
RadioGalactica

Maybe it will look something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_f83EabHE

Just hopefully it won't be as long of an intro. lol

OWD

OWD
oldwardaggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #57
Malkyte
Colonial Misfit

Hey Guys-

Long time no post! I am fairly simple minded and can handle only one board at a time! But I thought I would come by and see how the other half lives!

As many, I am cautiously optimistic. Until there is more concrete news though, that is where I'll stay.

Of course that didn't stop me from getting in a few 'points' in one of the original announcement's comment section.

With all that said, I would like to throw out a few words of caution around expectations. Odds are, whatever we see will be different. To what extent, I have no idea.

But judging the direction Star Trek is now taking, I don't think it is far fetched to believe that the Ol'Girl will get a similar treatment.

Anyway, I will try to be a little more neighborly and stop by more often!

Malkyte
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #58
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Good to see you here, Malkyte!

I think your caution is well-warranted, although it does help when people in charge of a project "get" and even strengthen what made the central story resonate. I'm hopeful we will see that on Trek. With the right folks involved, we could have it out of a "new" classic Galactica. At least that's my hope.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:17 AM   #59
Lara
Squadron Leader

While I don't want a re visitation of the crushing disappointments of the past, I'm also wary of pouring too much cold water on expectation, either, and extinguishing the fire that still burns: I WANT to see modern cgi enhance a intelligent retelling of a inspirational story.

If we aren't seen to be open minded and at least a little positive, the nay sayers will declare the original fandom is dried up and dead and the continuation/update the old version opportunity will lose traction in favour of the interests of another target market.

I'm all for 'vocal expectant caution'

Cheers,
Lara
Old February 25th, 2009, 01:45 AM   #60
monolith21
Squadron Leader

Ya know...I've suffered all the same let downs since the mid nineties when I first got involved with the whole idea, and part of me is waiting for the other shoe to drop. However...I can't shake the feeling of excitement this time around. As much as I try to not get my hopes up I'm pretty stoked. Even if its just because all the "cousin it" only fans have their proverbial undergarments in a bunch about it. I just want them to hear what they are saying..."why fix it if it isn't broken" was my fav.

Tom DeSanto showing up at Comic Con and Galacticruise to discuss "the future of Galactica" sort of lead me to believe that he wasn't finished with this by a long shot. I just hope that this has something to do with him!

Lt. Killian
Blackstar Squadron
"The Fighting Faithful"

-Albert Einstein