Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old November 11th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Default Glen Larson's latest about BG (November 2004)

http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie111004.php

About time this went public!

Michael

----------------------------------------------

November 10 , 2004
Source: IESB.NET
Author: Robert Sanchez

"The new Battlestar Galactica is not a bad show but they should of called it something else." That is the feeling from the crew behind the original series. Most fans agree that the new Galactica is a decent show but it completely disregards what the original show from the 70's had accomplished. But wait... there's hope.

For years there has been talk of Glen Larson making a feature film of Battlestar Galactica featuring the original cast. You may ask how that's possible considering that there is a new TV series. It's actually quite simple, Glen Larson owns the theatrical rights to Battlestar Galactica.

Last night at the Buck Rogers DVD release event Larson told the IESB that there is quite a bit of interest in making a new film featuring the original cast. He knows that both Dirk Benedict and Richard Hatch are willing participants in the venture. He does not know what storyline they will follow but that they plan to be faithful to the original series and to the fans. "We have some pretty good ideas and it will be a great journey to bring BSG back," Larson said.

Regarding other projects in the works such as Knight Rider, Magnum P.I. and Fall Guy, he explained that they still don't know what direction they will take and that they don't have any scripts quite yet. He does promise that in the very near future he will have some Knight Rider news to share with us all.

# # #
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Glen Larson & BG's return (November 2004)

Michael -

It looks like one of our UK members beat you to it:

http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums...69&postcount=1

They have the benefit of being 9 hours ahead of us, I guess....

No worries, it's great news no matter who brings it!

Best,
Bryan

"If you love long enough, wish hard enough, anything is possible" - From The Boy Who Could Fly
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

About time this went public? :laugh: you're supposedly hiding from that insider info mill, my friend.

That puts it in a nicer light though. Go Glen, make us that movie!

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #4
Mustex
On Vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries
http://www.iesb.net/movies2/movie111004.php

About time this went public!

Michael

----------------------------------------------

November 10 , 2004
Source: IESB.NET
Author: Robert Sanchez

"The new Battlestar Galactica is not a bad show but they should of called it something else." That is the feeling from the crew behind the original series. Most fans agree that the new Galactica is a decent show but it completely disregards what the original show from the 70's had accomplished. But wait... there's hope.

For years there has been talk of Glen Larson making a feature film of Battlestar Galactica featuring the original cast. You may ask how that's possible considering that there is a new TV series. It's actually quite simple, Glen Larson owns the theatrical rights to Battlestar Galactica.

Last night at the Buck Rogers DVD release event Larson told the IESB that there is quite a bit of interest in making a new film featuring the original cast. He knows that both Dirk Benedict and Richard Hatch are willing participants in the venture. He does not know what storyline they will follow but that they plan to be faithful to the original series and to the fans. "We have some pretty good ideas and it will be a great journey to bring BSG back," Larson said.

Regarding other projects in the works such as Knight Rider, Magnum P.I. and Fall Guy, he explained that they still don't know what direction they will take and that they don't have any scripts quite yet. He does promise that in the very near future he will have some Knight Rider news to share with us all.

# # #
YEEEEESSSSSS!!!!! WE DID IT!!!!! WE DID IT!!!! I have to confess it's more you than me, because by the time I really got much interest in the CFF the collecting money stage was done,and all that was left to do was the write-in campaign (I did, of course, send in my letters).

Rule 1: You lose.
Mustex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 05:24 PM   #5
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
About time this went public? you're supposedly hiding from that insider info mill, my friend.

That puts it in a nicer light though. Go Glen, make us that movie!

Jewels
DITTO!!!!!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:16 PM   #6
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

I've just got 1 thing to say WHOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Old November 12th, 2004, 03:06 AM   #7
bsg1fan1975
Major

allllllllllll right!

This is spectacular news! Looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel after all!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for lifting our spirits Glen!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:32 AM   #8
KJ
Strike Leader

Booyah!

Take that Sci-fi Channel! -

I can imagine the teaser for it now.....

[Teaser trailer, guy with a deep voice*]

*You've had "The Return Of The Pink Panther", "The Return Of Captain Invincible and LOTR:The Return Of The King. Now Glen A Larson and Universal Studios Present....

The Return of Battlestar Galactica

Starring Richard Hatch, Herbert Jefferson Jr, Anne Lockhart, Sarah Rush, George Murdock, Terry Carter, Jane Seymour, Jack Stauffer, Ed Begley Jr, Janet Louise Johnson, Rod Haase, John Dullaghan, Tony Swartz, with David Greenhan as Omega also starring Patrick MacNee as Count Iblis and Dirk Benedict as Captain Starbuck!
(With footage culled from BG:The Second Coming. John Colicos as Count Baltar as well?)

A guy can imagine can't he?

Great news indeed. can't wait for more!

KJ

Old November 13th, 2004, 06:42 AM   #9
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

WOOHOO!!! You go Glen!!!

Affectionately,
Muffit

Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #10
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Very good news indeed!
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2004, 11:48 AM   #11
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Old November 13th, 2004, 03:06 PM   #12
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Before anyone gets out the champagne, I'd just like to point out that Glen A. Larson is in development with three movies based on TV shows he created (confirmed) Knight Rider, The Fall Guy and Magnum pi, none of which have made it to the silver screen as of yet, hell I think Knight Rider's been in development for over five years.

I'm 100 percent certain that Glen A. Larson want to make a Battlestar Galactica movie, but first he's got to persuade a studio to go for his take on the project and then give him the money to develop it, and then give him the money to produce it!

Even if Glen A. Larson went into development tomorrow, there'd still be legal hurdles to jump over should as the use of the name Battlestar Galactica, which is a trademark of Universal Studios.

It could be 2009 or 2010 before we even saw one bit of film (it won't even be film by then) and Richard and Dirk would be in their late sixties.

I'd advise everyone to calm down and keep writing your letters, keep buying the TOS merchandise that is released to show TOS has 'legs' financially and pray for a frelling miracle!

Best ,

Peter
Old November 13th, 2004, 04:25 PM   #13
originalsinner

I rather see a "Galactica" Movie, then "Knight Rider" or "Mag. PI' or "The Fall Guy" movies. Glen, I think youll make more money on "Galactica"!
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM   #14
KJ
Strike Leader

Quote:
Before anyone gets out the champagne
KJ gets out of his BATH of champagne and listens to Bishop!

Fair enough chief. we're not out of the woods yet. But still it is great news hear something about BG in the media. we've been waiting somewhat for news like this to break

KJ
Old November 13th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #15
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Kingjason
KJ gets out of his BATH of champagne and listens to Bishop!

Fair enough chief. we're not out of the woods yet. But still it is great news hear something about BG in the media. we've been waiting somewhat for news like this to break

KJ
DITTO
Old November 13th, 2004, 08:56 PM   #16
larocque6689
Warrior

This statement is scarcely different than his Fox TV announcement from 1994.

Not to rain on anybody's parade but I find myself in agreement with Languatron, RGrant, Bishop37 and TwoBrainedCylon on this issue. It's good to keep your hopes up, but unless he can secure financing Larson cannot proceed, even if he owns film rights.
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:12 PM   #17
KJ
Strike Leader

Which is why Tom DeSanto was and "IS" the crown jewel to another shot at reviving BG. Convincing Larson to hook up with DeSanto is part of the letter writing campaign is it not Larocque.

My joy comes from the fact that, Larson not Sci-Fi Channel has the movie theatrical film rights.

Quote:
This statement is scarcely different than his Fox TV announcement from 1994.
It's also scarcely different from Singer/DeSanto effort if you consider the fact the 2001 version would have been on Fox. But Fox said Singer, had to up and leave to do X2? Not that any relation to the Fox Network *Jinxed* Galactica, but since you pointed it out. I thought i'd go a step further, and point out another Fox related fact.

Getting back on track, yes you guys are right it's too early to rejoice. God knows the fanbase of Battlestar Galactica got another waiting game ahead of itself!

Let hope most of us will see what comes at the other end of it.

KJ
Old November 13th, 2004, 09:14 PM   #18
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
It could be 2009 or 2010 before we even saw one bit of film (it won't even be film by then) and Richard and Dirk would be in their late sixties.
Course `bg animated could come out much sooner and age wouldn't matter.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #19
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas7g
Course Battlestar Galactica animated could come out much sooner and age wouldn't matter.
Point.

Age shouldn't matter anyway, it's society's (and Hollywood's) preconceived ideas about age that leads a lot of people to be put on the shelf when in fact they've got a lot more to offer us.

Peter
Old November 14th, 2004, 02:53 AM   #20
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Quote:
Weren't Lorne Greene and Lloyd Bridges in their 60s ?????

I think an animated movie (or tow:-) set between 'Hand of God' and the time of the Continuation could be a great way to bridge the gap. Just think of a storyline that kills Adama, Caine, Balter and Athena etc etc and it could be huge !!!

It would also prove the worth of the Original BSG franchise to help raise money for a proper movie !!!
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2004, 04:53 AM   #21
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Aceually we Magnum P.I. fans were promised that the series would continue on film shortly after the series ended with the original cast, so I look forward to seeeing both!
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:07 AM   #22
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Thumbs up

I will remain cautiously optimistic.....while dancing the jig.

Merilly,
Martok2112
Old November 14th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #23
KJ
Strike Leader

Since Magnum P.I. is one of Larson's most popular shows ever. i'm surprised that hasn't happened yet myself T Angelus. You'd think Hollywood would jump at the chance if You know who with the world's most famous mustache wanted to do a Magnum movie. I could see alot of hype behind that kind of announcement, so it begs the question why hasn't it started yet.

Still, out of Larson's old TV shows, personal bias says to me. Battlestar Galactica should be "fast tracked" for production above most of the others. With Magnum P.I. and Knight Rider in tow. But i don't want 'A' movie i'd like a epic movie. and those take their sweet time, so yeah i see both sides of the arguement.

KJ
Old November 14th, 2004, 03:27 PM   #24
originalsinner

Magnum PI' and "Knight Rider" had good runs, while "Galactica' ended too soon, without the Battlestar reaching its goal, the Planet earth, lift us fans wondering, How great it would be to recapture that felling, Just like the Star Trek Movies did in the 80s
even with a older crew!
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:32 PM   #25
bsg1fan1975
Major

i would love to see how they would resolve the journey. Even if they did not reach Earth but found a planet that they could start over on and beat those tin heads!

Cheese: [has tinfoil on his teeth] I have braces!
Mac: You found that on the ground, didn't you?
Cheese: Garbage can.
-episode "Mac Daddy"Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends"
bsg1fan1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #26
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Quote:
Since Magnum P.I. is one of Larson's most popular shows ever. i'm surprised that hasn't happened yet myself T Angelus. You'd think Hollywood would jump at the chance if You know who with the world's most famous mustache wanted to do a Magnum movie. I could see alot of hype behind that kind of announcement, so it begs the question why hasn't it started yet.

Still, out of Larson's old TV shows, personal bias says to me. Battlestar Galactica should be "fast tracked" for production above most of the others. With Magnum P.I. and Knight Rider in tow. But i don't want 'A' movie i'd like a epic movie. and those take their sweet time, so yeah i see both sides of the arguement.

KJ
Well according to Tom Selleck in an interview i saw, he is waiting on a well done script.

And I agree with you bsg fan! I hope they do something in the vein that Richard is doing with the novels, sans kobolian powers.
Old November 17th, 2004, 06:20 AM   #27
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I remember hearing that Selleck was all in favor of bringing Magnum to the big screen but Universal was the problem.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 06:23 AM   #28
Trevor Angelus
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
I remember hearing that Selleck was all in favor of bringing Magnum to the big screen but Universal was the problem.

Yes, now I saw this about 4 years ago, but the interview said that Universal had to approve of the script, director and casting. The big thing is that Tom probably doesn't see eye to eye with Universal and wants to please fans rather than make bucks.
Old November 17th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #29
KJ
Strike Leader

Universal Studios *sigh* sounds too familar doesn't it!

Although as fans we'd love to see the big bucks roll in, Universal like all film production studios should at least try to see the fans point of view as well as knowing whats best for the production of a new continuation revival of Battlestar Galactica or any of Larson's other TV series transplanted to the big screen. Rather than let their own egos get in the way and spoil it for everybody else waiting to see what could happen once The Sleeping giant (BG), Private Investigator (Magnum) or Black Pontiac talking car (take a wild guess?) Get their own franchises on the big screen.

They say only time will tell? Well if Universal don't get a move on time will tell a different story to the one we're all expecting! It's a pity we fans always sound so overly dramatic but we're telling it as it is aren't we.

Wish the Universal executives would pull their heads out of their asses and making things happen, everybody hates the waiting around part. Fast track these babies pronto before our interests passes on to other things.

KJ
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:31 PM   #30
Sci-Fi
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Since Magnum P.I. is one of Larson's most popular shows ever......

KJ
Are you sure?? Although Glen Larson is listed as "one" of the creators of Magnum P.I., Donald Belisario is usually listed first under the "creator" credits and Belisarius Productions, not Glen Larson Productions, is usually shown in the credits.

Quote:
Production Company Note: (3/17/04) As of this writing, Belisarius Productions appears to not be directly involved as a production company for this film, but 'Magnum' creator Donald Belisario is at least likely to have a producer credit.
Anyways, there appears to be a TBA release date target of Summer of 2005 or 2006. Casting for the lead is an unsubstantiated rumor between either Tom Selleck or George Clooney. That choice of whether to make the movie a continuation or a restart with a new cast appears to be the crux of the film's development. There is some concern among fans that it is rumored that the movie will be a comedy ala Starsky & Hutch. Haven't seen much news about a Magnum P.I. movie since May, 2004.

Ugo reported that producer Brian Grazer has acquired the rights to the show for movie production. Mike McCullers, who penned Goldmember, will be taking the first stab at a script.

Yahoo reported Imagine Entertainment is the production company.

John Hillerman has retired from acting and there are no rumors if the other TOS actors were contacted about reprising their roles and/or their availability or interest in doing so. IF Hillerman's retirement is truly a permanent one, then if they assemble the original actors, who will play the pivotal Jonathan Quayle Higgins III role??? It was the banter between Higgings and Magnum that provide much enjoyment from the show. It would be interesting where the story picks up at. Magnum was killed off at the end of the 1986-87 and when the show was renewed, Magnum spent the first episode or 2 as a "Ghost".

Sci-Fi is offline   Reply With Quote