Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > Colonial Library
Notices
Colonial Library Grab a glass of ambrosa and wrap yourself around stories, written by residents of our little corner of the universe!

Old September 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #1
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Default I need a beta reader

Hello there all my fellow fans!

I am in need of a beta reader for a fanfic that I'm writing.

There are a few requirements:

Must be knowledgeable in:

Battlestar Galactica (of course!)

Buffy: the Vampire Slayer

Harry Potter

It is mostly a HP/BG fic, with a couple of references to Star Wars, Buffy, Star Trek, Fairy Tales, etc.

If anyone is interested, please PM or email me at your earliest convenience.
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #2
LZaza
Warrior

Default Re: I need a beta reader

Hi Captain Chirri,

Not sure if you've had any luck, but was thinking you could always try the BSG fanfiction writers list, if you're coming up dry. Personally, I'm not familiar with Buffy, and am a few books behind on Harry Potter, but I read back to your pitch of your idea in May and it does sound intriguing. Starbuck and Harry, eh? I wouldn't mind seeing what you do with that. Maybe you could field that other group of BSG writers for a beta reader, as I don't think I'm the only one who took so long to find my way over here. If you're interested, here's a link:

http://lists.eyrie.org/mailman/listinfo/bsg-fanfic
LZaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #3
Athene
Galactica's Princess

I'd like to help too...but, I'm not sure what precisely a beta reader is...
how do you become one and what's involved?

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #4
LZaza
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athene View Post
I'd like to help too...but, I'm not sure what precisely a beta reader is...
how do you become one and what's involved?
You volunteer, in most cases. A beta reader is like an editor. In most cases, they're checking continuity, grammar, spelling, plot development, characterization. In some cases, they also contribute ideas and actual scenes to a story. Depends on the beta reader/writer relationship.
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza View Post
You volunteer, in most cases. A beta reader is like an editor. In most cases, they're checking continuity, grammar, spelling, plot development, characterization. In some cases, they also contribute ideas and actual scenes to a story. Depends on the beta reader/writer relationship.
Thank you very much for the information. I thought it was something like that, but, I wasn't sure. Thank you again for clearing that up for me.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #6
LZaza
Warrior

No problem, Athene.

Doesn't sound like Captain Chirri is having much luck with this, which is a shame.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Athene
Galactica's Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZaza View Post
No problem, Athene.

Doesn't sound like Captain Chirri is having much luck with this, which is a shame.
Thanks!

Hopefully, we can find someone soon to help Captain Chirri.

Battlestar Earth admin
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #8
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Still no luck getting a beta.

I'm planning on doing a bit of a rewrite of the second chapter over the weekend.

If either of you is familiar with Harry Potter and the characters, I plan to get Sirius out of Azkaban by him making a wish to be with Harry, no matter where he is, at the same time that Harry makes his wish to be with Starbuck on the Galactica.

The Vengeance/Justice Demon in question who handles Sirius' case is name Malagan, and he's the V/J for Betrayed Friendships. Let's face it, when Peter cut off his own finger after blasting that gas main and killing thirteen people, leaving Siri to take the blame for it, that is a MAJOR betrayal on top of him betraying James and Lily because he was such a wimpy little wuss.
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #9
LZaza
Warrior

A difficult crossover to beta with three genres. I can see the problem in finding someone.

With Harry being so young (I can't actually recall how old he was in the first book), would this be considered a prequel to the actual HP novels?
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #10
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

The first book in the series started when Harry was fifteen months old, and then jumped to before his eleventh birthday, which is when he got his Hogwarts letter.

This is definitely an Alternate Universe story, for everyone concerned, all three genres, but I think I can make it work.

With Callie and Sirius teaching the Colonials about magic, as well as testing some of their kids for it so they can be taught as well, they will also be teaching them about the political climate, Wizarding Society in Britan, pureblooded attitudes in Britain, as well as the political situation with the Mundane Society (I never liked the term Muggles; it's very racist).

Harry, in the meantime, will grow up with Boxey for a protective older adopted cousin, find lots of friends in his playgroup, and charms the stodgy members of the Quorum of Twelve. (Cuteness is a weapon; don't be afraid to use it if you've got it, and he's a real cutie.)

I'm trying to pair Starbuck off in the third chapter with someone, seeing as how I had him and Cassie break up. It isn't going to be Athena, she's waaaayy too dominant for him, and all of the women in the fleet know about his habits, so it can't be one of them.

Would you like to take a look at the chapters I have so far, and let me know what you think?

I could really use some input here.
Old October 10th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #11
LZaza
Warrior

I'm a BSG writer who tends to favour Starbuck, but only have a sketchy memory of reading the first couple HP books when they first came out. My Buffy background is almost nil, however, I think I did tune in for an episode or two. So, my help would be all one-sided.

Having said that, I'd hate for your story not get off the ground due to a little thing like no beta. Lots of writers don't use them. As long as you have a solid footing in the genres, you should be okay.

I'll pm you my email address so you can send me the chapters, Captain.