Go Back   Colonial Fleets > FAN CREATIVITY > All About Models
Notices
All About Models Information on making models, real or CGI. Tutorials as well.
Requests and questions should be posted here.

Old April 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM   #1
BazookaJo
Shuttle Pilot

Default Anyone want a top notch 32 LED Cylon scanner for £37 ($65)?

Not sure if we have any wannabe Cylons (like myself) on this forum, but anyone who’s seen my previous posts on the BSG props forum http://p082.ezboard.com/fpropreplicasfrm36 knows that I’ve been scouring the web for some time, searching for a decent Cylon eye that doesn’t cost me more than what I paid for the helmet itself.

One of the possibilities was knightlight.co.uk who do various KITT style scanners for model cars, PC Modding and the like. As such I’ve been making enquiries about the possibility of modifying one of their products for use in a Cylon helmet.

It turns out that they had a prototype Cylon scanner eye they were developing for Universal Studios's Theme Park (this was to be used in the costumes of the meet-and-greet Cylons wandering the complex) but welding 32 LEDs to each kit did not prove cost effective.

If there was sufficient interest however I think they’d be happy to add it to their list of products.

So how much will it cost (first question I asked)?

I’ve been given an approximate figure of £60 ($105) fully built, or £37 ($65) for a kit which requires the customer to solder the LEDs to the cables.

It sounds pretty much exactly what I’m looking for, but I’m no expert in this type of thing. So if anyone thinks of any obvious problems let me know.

They told me that they’d need a minimum order of 10 to make it worthwhile, so if there’s anyone out there seriously interested, get in touch and let’s see if we can get an order together.

Also, if you know of any other forums I can try (to get my little Cylon consortium together) please let me know.

Kit details below (have pics but not sure how to insert).

Regards

Joe.

Kit Details:

The kit would come with a controller box, 4 ribbon cables, and 32 x 3mm LEDs with rubber sleeving.

The Controller box is basically a small circuit board with 7 ribbon cable sockets. 6 of these cables are positioned at the front of the board, and 1 is positioned at the rear.

To each of the front 6 sockets a ribbon cable can be attached to which 8 LEDs are soldered.

To the rear socket a keypad can be attached to change the speed and pattern of the sweep. These setting are saved to an EEPROM after which this cable can be removed from the board if necessary.

A small bank of dip switches is present to select the number of ribbon cables connected (the Controller Box can chase through between 8 and 48 LEDs, depending on how many LED ribbons are connected, and how the Dip switches are configured).

The Control Box is housed in a plastic box 100mm x 60mm and runs off a 9v battery.

The LED's would need to be mounted into some form of lens for the Cylon helmet, this would be up to the customer to do.
BazookaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:51 AM   #2
jf3000
Bad Email Address

Do you have images etc that I may see, its just that the other site requires me to register to be able to view anything. You can email me the pics if you like links@jf3000.com
jf3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:33 AM   #3
Gold Cylon
Warrior

Well I have a few photo's of this scanner. I don't think it was ever made, except this one unit. Check out more photo's http://byyourcommand.net/photogallery/Battlestar-Galactica-Cylon?page=10