Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Chats, Interviews, and Podcasts
Notices

Old February 18th, 2004, 08:55 PM   #1
michaelfaries
Great Honored Warrior (ret.)
BG Fandom Leader (ret.)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFather of BG websites
BattlestarGalactica.com(ret)
BattlestarPegasus.com(ret)

Lightbulb N.Y. Observer - Richard Hatch interview (Feb. 2004)

http://www.observer.com/pages/nytv.asp

"Tuesday, Feb. 24" (?)

Richard Hatch, the 58-year-old actor who once played the dashing, feather-haired Captain Apollo on the 1978 sci-fi soap opera Battlestar Galactica, has a message on his Web site, Richardhatch.com, that neatly sums up his current situation:

"Note: The Richard Hatch of this site is not related to the winner of CBS-TV’s first Survivor show. Additionally, Richard is not participating in the new SCI-FI Channel Battlestar Galactica mini-series which is a re-imagining (remake) of the original show, not a continuation as fans had hoped for."

Mr. Hatch, a former dreamboat on the 80’s daytime drama Santa Barbara, couldn’t buy the Sci-Fi Channel’s "edgy reimagining of the 1978 television series," as the network put it, that aired in December 2003. It didn’t make him cry the way the original did.

"Even after the destruction of the colonies, there’s no tear in my eye," Mr. Hatch told NYTV from his production office in Los Angeles. "I’m seeing a bunch of destruction, but I’m not feeling anything. It just wasn’t moving …. It was as if they took everything that made Battlestar out and replaced it with their own vision."

Mr. Hatch is in for more disappointment, it seems: The network announced on Feb. 10 that it would produce 13 more episodes to begin production in Vancouver next month.

Of course, Mr. Hatch, the author of a number of Battlestar novels, had his own ideas for the show, one in which he might have had a larger role. In 1995, after attending a Star Trek convention and discovering an enormous subculture of Battlestar Galactica diehards among them, Mr. Hatch spent two years creating and test-marketing a four-minute reel that was a continuation of the original Star Wars Meets Bee Gees in Space concept, including bringing back some of the old characters to play the wizened generation to a new set of stars. He showed it to Universal in 1997.

"I laid out the case and the numbers 20 years ago and the ratings," he said. "They couldn’t visualize how you could bring back the show."

In 2002, Mr. Hatch was shocked to discover that Universal could suddenly visualize it after all: They had hired Ron Moore, the executive producer of HBO’s CarnivÃ*le, and David Eick, a producer for Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, to tart it up for the Maxim demographic, changing a couple of male characters to buxom galaxy babes.

According to Mr. Hatch, the new show has divided fans, most of whom dislike it immensely. "It was like a fan war," he said, reiterating for effect: "It was Fan. War."

Mr. Hatch found the new version lurid. "Every five seconds somebody was throwing somebody against the wall and ripping their clothes off," he said. "I can see sex on any channel. I want to see romance. There was cleavage and sex, but no romance."

The producers offered Mr. Hatch a cameo on the show, but he turned it down.

"Having a cameo, it doesn’t feel like an honor of the original actors," he said. "It just seems like they’re using them for their name value. To do a cameo would have been an insult."

Mr. Moore, the new show’s co-producer, said he felt for Mr. Hatch, whom he met last year at Galacticon, the Battlestar Galactica convention in L.A. "I have a lot of sympathy for Richard and fans of the old show, because they were holding out hope for a show that didn’t happen," he said. But he called his version "a more mature take. It’s a more reality-based show than the original series."

Still, he hoped Mr. Hatch would eventually agree to come aboard for a few episodes. No hard feelings! "I think he’d be interesting, and the network would love to have him," he said.

But in his monthly Web-based newsletter to fans, Mr. Hatch said that he dreamed only of a distant, more hopeful future where Mr. Moore and his ilk had bit the stardust.

"I can only hope that someday soon, we’ll have channels and studios that truly understand and respect the wishes of the multi-generational and broad-based Science Fiction community."

Tonight, the Sci-Fi community comes together for a collective shrug at Stargate: SG-1. [SCIFI, 44, 8 p.m.]
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDFormer Assistant
Richard Hatch

"But in his monthly Web-based newsletter to fans, Mr. Hatch said that he dreamed only of a distant, more hopeful future where Mr. Moore and his ilk had bit the stardust."

Now there's a loose interpretation.
Micheleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 09:42 PM   #3
Muffit
Muff Daggy

COMMAND INSIGNIAOwner:
Colonial Fleets

Thanks for posting this Michael
Muffit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:50 AM   #4
amberstar
Strike Leader

It is always great to hear from Richard! Thanks for posting this

Amber
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:07 AM   #5
Stevew
Fleet Modeling Machine!

Thanks Michael good to hear from you it has been a long time. Hope all is well
Keep in touch
Steve
Stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 08:41 AM   #6
repcisg
Bad Email Address

It is indeed great to hear from you Michael, and Richard has put in simple words what many of have felt, thanks for sharing.
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:20 AM   #7
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

And, I'm pretty sure (I'll have to check), thanks to Michael Wehrahan for setting up th interview.
Old February 19th, 2004, 11:53 AM   #8
AlternityOrange
Warrior

COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
"Mr. Hatch said that he dreamed only of a distant, more hopeful future where Mr. Moore and his ilk had bit the stardust.

I can only hope that someday soon, we’ll have channels and studios that truly understand and respect the wishes of the multi-generational and broad-based Science Fiction community."
So Say We All!

Last edited by AlternityOrange; February 19th, 2004 at 01:07 PM..
AlternityOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #9
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Too bad Richard doesn't come to this site and post. At this point inspiration might be needed. On a final note, if we turn our backs on our favorite show for this new trash we do it with utter contempt. Sorry to be so melodramatic.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:49 PM   #10
Tibbetts
Warrior

Cool

Well........

I can see Mr. Use-to-be is still being pissy about not getting his version off the ground. He seems to be bitter in his old age. I think he needs a vacation.

I hope Larson and DeSanto don't involve him in their continuation movie. Mr. Hatch really needs to lighten up a bit and get over it.

I write this not to offend fans of the Original, because I also am a huge fan, and want a continuation, but Hatch really needs to get a life and move on. He should really focus on the "Magellan Project" I read about once. That seems like something interesting to do.

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #11
Antelope

I would not assume Richard Hatch won't come around to doing a role in the Moore series. He seems more upset that he was offered a "cameo" as opposed to a role. I understand Richard Hatch's anger for it is like many other fans. I also think it must really hurt to go through the effort he did to have his concept validated by someone else. I also see a 58 year old man looking back at his fame wishing he could recapture the good old days. I would not predict he will be in the new series but with a little homage, ass kissing, nice pay check, and a good role (like Cain etc.) I could see him making an interview about how he influenced the show producers into making the series more in tune with the "real" Galactica and proud he could be part of it. I would like to see Richard Hatch come back in some form of Galactica. I hope we have not seen him the last time as a colonial warrior.
Old February 19th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #12
Micheleh
Watashiwa Shin no Noir

Veteran
Fleets Warrior
Richard Hatch

Pissy? Lol... hardly. (And yes, I know this for sure.)

<-------------------
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #13
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
Pissy? Lol... hardly. (And yes, I know this for sure.)
Micheleh -

I don't think that I would ever call Richard pissy..... He really seems like the kind of guy that has both feet on the ground, but has his eyes on the stars. I didn't ever get the feeling like he thought that BSG was a way to get his "fame" back either - as I recall, he said once that he didn't keep much stuff from the old days. He has a business of his own and acts occasionally, but hardly a starving "used-to-be".

I admire his ambition to strive to really do something more than just sit on his laurels and dwell on the past. The one thing about him though, he just isn't the kind of guy to get to the top on the backs of others - unlike a lot of people in the entertainment industry. Hey, anyone that can turn down a cameo (to be read as "crappy bit part") when he's a bit in debt, that's a man with priniciples!

Best to you,
Bryan
________
Kitchen Measures
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:13 PM   #14
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lord
Well........

I can see Mr. Use-to-be is still being pissy about not getting his version off the ground. He seems to be bitter in his old age. I think he needs a vacation.

I hope Larson and DeSanto don't involve him in their continuation movie. Mr. Hatch really needs to lighten up a bit and get over it.

I write this not to offend fans of the Original, because I also am a huge fan, and want a continuation, but Hatch really needs to get a life and move on. He should really focus on the "Magellan Project" I read about once. That seems like something interesting to do.

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Um, Richard's about the least bitter guy you're ever going to meet. He's frank about what he feels but he doesn't bear ill towards Moore. He might despise the direction Moore took with BSG. From what I understand, more because he's convinced (as are a lot of the folks from the original show) that Moore could have done better or been upfront and ditched the BSG references and done his own show.

And Richard's always got tons of other stuff going on, so it's really just these interview snippets that make it look like he hasn't moved on.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 01:59 PM   #15
Tibbetts
Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
Um, Richard's about the least bitter guy you're ever going to meet. He's frank about what he feels but he doesn't bear ill towards Moore. He might despise the direction Moore took with BSG. From what I understand, more because he's convinced (as are a lot of the folks from the original show) that Moore could have done better or been upfront and ditched the BSG references and done his own show.

And Richard's always got tons of other stuff going on, so it's really just these interview snippets that make it look like he hasn't moved on.

I said it "seems" like he's bitter. That how the Article read to me. Whether he truly is or not, I don't know. I don't know the guy from a hole in the ground to be honest with ya.

I said somewhere on another board that I wouldn't mind seeing Mr. Hatch portray Cain on Battlestar Galactica(RM). I still believe he'd make a great Cain on BG(RM). If Ron Moore is willing to ask him to do that role and he(RH) is willing to accept, I for one, sure as hell wouldn't mind.

With Respect,

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:09 PM   #16
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

I DON'T want to see Richard or any other tos star on Moore's show. That only justifies Ron's vision of Galactica which I don't care for in the least. I want to see Richard and Dirk as the characters that inspired me to watch tos in the first place.
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #17
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheleh
"But in his monthly Web-based newsletter to fans, Mr. Hatch said that he dreamed only of a distant, more hopeful future where Mr. Moore and his ilk had bit the stardust."

Now there's a loose interpretation.
My "Thoughts" exactly!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 05:32 PM   #18
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
I DON'T want to see Richard or any other tos star on Moore's show. That only justifies Ron's vision of Galactica which I don't care for in the least. I want to see Richard and Dirk as the characters that inspired me to watch tos in the first place.
Kingfish I sooooooooooo agree with you. I think it's just another
slap in the face of the fans. As for some of the people on this site
who so STRIGENTLY dissagree with us while CLAIMING to be fans
of the ORIGINAL BSG ..........(while SLAMMING IT......whenever
possible)...........................TOUGH. You have YOUR opinion.......
WE have OURS.
Old February 21st, 2004, 06:20 AM   #19
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

I guess i've never truely met more of a true visionary than Richard. Speaking to him it's like opening up a childs world where dreams become reality. He truely is quite and individual. I don't think Richard needs to "get over" anything. The individuals that need to "get over it" are those that currently reside on the top of Hollywoods food chain. It's just utterly amazing how they continue to try and rewrite history constantly. There's nothing new, fresh, cutting edge unless it's primetime viewing of the next spider crawling on a bikini wearing babe.

Sex sells folks. It's a concept that's been around for generations. It was in the original Galactica but within that realm you not only had the element but passion and romance to go along with it. Where is that in today's hollywood? Where's the drive to make something truely inspirational? To me it's missing, gone and until hollywood does what Richard says and creates tv that we all can enjoy in some way. Right now it's one bad show after another. One bad concept after another.

When Galactica came out in 1978 it was grand. There was press releases, public interviews that everyone knew about. Toys, cards, books, lunch boxes ect. ect. ect. Where's the overwhelming publicity with the new Galactica? I don't see it. The series has been announced but where's the drive? Where's the overwhelming push that we seem to see from other series announcements? To me it's still up in the air.

So we wait and see. I for one think it would be a big mistake by Larson and DeSanto to leave Richard out of a continuation puzzle. If they leave him out it won't be the same. But hey i'm willing to listen to that. Simply because the window would always be open for Richard in a continuation. It's not there for him in Moore's.

Old February 21st, 2004, 07:46 AM   #20
Tibbetts
Warrior

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Kingfish I sooooooooooo agree with you. I think it's just another
slap in the face of the fans. As for some of the people on this site
who so STRIGENTLY dissagree with us while CLAIMING to be fans
of the ORIGINAL BSG ..........(while SLAMMING IT......whenever
possible)...........................TOUGH. You have YOUR opinion.......
WE have OURS.
Did I "slam" the original? No.

Dragon Lord Tibbetts
Old February 21st, 2004, 07:51 AM   #21
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelfaries
(According to Mr. Moore).....he called his version "a more mature take. It’s a more reality-based show than the original series."
"That is ONE opinion, it does not happen to be mine."

Quote:
Still, he hoped Mr. Hatch would eventually agree to come aboard for a few episodes. No hard feelings! "I think he’d be interesting, and the network would love to have him," he (Moore) said.
Oh, they are praying that some of the original actors "come on board". What better way to silence the folks clamoring for a continuation. Skiffy's and Moore's hope is that we will just "go away" and if our 'heroes', so to speak, were to cross the line, that could very well happen. We're still a thorn in their side.

Quote:
"I can only hope that someday soon, we’ll have channels and studios that truly understand and respect the wishes of the multi-generational and broad-based Science Fiction community."
I echo this sentiment. Why is it that the "hollywood-types" always seem to think they know more than the folks that watch their shows. They don't listen to what the people want and then, (amazingly) wonder why the shows they produce go quickly into "the round file". I am rather "bored" with today's, uh, "sophisticated tastes".

"So Say Can You See?"
You have come to journey's end
Sleep now
And dream of the ones who came before
They are calling
From across the distant shore .

Children are a message that we send
to a time that we will never see.
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 09:18 AM   #22
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
I guess i've never truely met more of a true visionary than Richard. Speaking to him it's like opening up a childs world where dreams become reality. He truely is quite and individual. I don't think Richard needs to "get over" anything. The individuals that need to "get over it" are those that currently reside on the top of Hollywoods food chain. It's just utterly amazing how they continue to try and rewrite history constantly. There's nothing new, fresh, cutting edge unless it's primetime viewing of the next spider crawling on a bikini wearing babe.

Sex sells folks. It's a concept that's been around for generations. It was in the original Galactica but within that realm you not only had the element but passion and romance to go along with it. Where is that in today's hollywood? Where's the drive to make something truely inspirational? To me it's missing, gone and until hollywood does what Richard says and creates tv that we all can enjoy in some way. Right now it's one bad show after another. One bad concept after another.

When Galactica came out in 1978 it was grand. There was press releases, public interviews that everyone knew about. Toys, cards, books, lunch boxes ect. ect. ect. Where's the overwhelming publicity with the new Galactica? I don't see it. The series has been announced but where's the drive? Where's the overwhelming push that we seem to see from other series announcements? To me it's still up in the air.

So we wait and see. I for one think it would be a big mistake by Larson and DeSanto to leave Richard out of a continuation puzzle. If they leave him out it won't be the same. But hey i'm willing to listen to that. Simply because the window would always be open for Richard in a continuation. It's not there for him in Moore's.

Excellent post Titon as always thank you for your insight and for your thoughts.
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:25 AM   #23
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Excellent post Titon as always thank you for your insight and for your thoughts.

Going back to Richard, i've expressed my own feelings on how the man works. Having worked with him in a professional copacity (freelance artist) i can tell you he can be a bugger to work with. But vision he does not lack and i truely believe that soon we'll know just how visionary he really is.

Oh by the way for those that have personally talked with Richard there is absolutely no holding back by the man when it comes to Galactica. He'll tell you what he really thinks about how Universal/Scifi has handled the property. I know for a fact that the man can swear with the best of them. BELIEVE me.

Old February 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM   #24
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:

Going back to Richard, i've expressed my own feelings on how the man works. Having worked with him in a professional copacity (freelance artist) i can tell you he can be a bugger to work with. But vision he does not lack and i truely believe that soon we'll know just how visionary he really is.

Oh by the way for those that have personally talked with Richard there is absolutely no holding back by the man when it comes to Galactica. He'll tell you what he really thinks about how Universal/Scifi has handled the property. I know for a fact that the man can swear with the best of them. BELIEVE me.

I believe you .......... TRUST ME ...........I believe you ..............
Old February 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM   #25
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

I'd have to agree with everything Titon said plus add this: You can't think of Richard without words like enthusiasm and passion. Vision is there and he can be a bugger to work with (most visionaries are!), but the depth of the man's enthusiasm and passion are virtually boundless. I just hope someone will see and understand just how good and grand and special Magellan is. It's got something that whether you like sci-fi, fantasy or action-adventure, or epic tales: it has it all. Plus the wholehearted belief by the creator in the story they've created. It flows in with Farscape, Firefly and especially B5 in that regard. Plus really cool spaceships that do some insanely wonderful things.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:01 AM   #26
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels
I'd have to agree with everything Titon said plus add this: You can't think of Richard without words like enthusiasm and passion. Vision is there and he can be a bugger to work with (most visionaries are!), but the depth of the man's enthusiasm and passion are virtually boundless. I just hope someone will see and understand just how good and grand and special Magellan is. It's got something that whether you like sci-fi, fantasy or action-adventure, or epic tales: it has it all. Plus the wholehearted belief by the creator in the story they've created. It flows in with Farscape, Firefly and especially B5 in that regard. Plus really cool spaceships that do some insanely wonderful things.
Very well written ................ One thing I'd like to add to those who say
Richard is a very BITTER person trying to 'recapture' past glory. Richard
was offered many, many scripts even AFTER BSG. He turned them down
because he believed in BSG.

He's not trying to 'recapture' lost glory. He's trying to protect that
'glory' (the glory of the BSG/TOS universe) from people like BH and RDM.
Old February 21st, 2004, 11:17 AM   #27
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

For the life of me i can't figure this out to be honest. One underlying thing has always boggled my mind. Why?

In Glen's speech he basically stated that Galactica was special. The fans clammored for years for him to revive Galactica but he sat on his hands until Richard pushed his buttons. Then it became bitter. Instead of concentrating on assisting each other to accomplish the ultimate goal it became personal.

Well here we are Glen, its' in your court once again. Will you play ball or sit on your ass again?

Old February 21st, 2004, 12:23 PM   #28
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiningstar
Very well written ................ One thing I'd like to add to those who say
Richard is a very BITTER person trying to 'recapture' past glory. Richard
was offered many, many scripts even AFTER BSG. He turned them down
because he believed in BSG.

He's not trying to 'recapture' lost glory. He's trying to protect that
'glory' (the glory of the BSG/TOS universe) from people like BH and RDM.

From what I heard, Richard auditioned for the role of commanding officer on B5. Too bad he didn't get it. I could have happily seen Richard as Sheridan for 4 years.
Old February 21st, 2004, 12:25 PM   #29
kingfish
Strike Leader

Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
For the life of me i can't figure this out to be honest. One underlying thing has always boggled my mind. Why?

In Glen's speech he basically stated that Galactica was special. The fans clammored for years for him to revive Galactica but he sat on his hands until Richard pushed his buttons. Then it became bitter. Instead of concentrating on assisting each other to accomplish the ultimate goal it became personal.

Well here we are Glen, its' in your court once again. Will you play ball or sit on your ass again?

Hopefully we will not be too feeble to enjoy it.
Old February 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM   #30
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfish
Hopefully we will not be too feeble to enjoy it.

I soooooooooooooooooooooo AGREE!