Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Miscellaneous Entertainment
Notices
Miscellaneous Entertainment Talk about any other shows not covered by other forums.

Old January 25th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #1
martok2112
Colonial Story Teller

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default Review of Trapt for PS2

VIDEOGAME: TRAPT
DEVELOPER: TECMO
PUBLISHER: SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT
SYSTEMS: PLAYSTATION 2
RATING: M for Blood and Violence

Graphics: 3.5
Sound: 4.0
Control: 4.0
Story: 4.0
Endorphin Factor: 4.5
Frustration Factor: 2.5

Scoring system:
Average: 3.75/5

GAMES IT COULD BE COMPARED TO: Tecmo's Deception, Deception II, Deception 3

DETAILS: I was wondering when Tecmo would create a game based on Tecmo's Deception (the first three games were made for the original Playstation) and bring it to PS2. They've finally done it. The game is called Trapt, and operates on the exact same principles as the first three games.

In the game, you play a heroine named Princess Allura, who is framed for the murder of her father, King Olaf II, by her wicked stepmother, Queen Catalina. With the aid of her handmaiden, Rachel, Allura sets off toward the royal family's old mansion, which houses a great evil known as "The Fiend" (or even...The Devil). When Allura enters the house, she inadvertently becomes the servant of The Fiend, who demands that she slaughter intruders upon the place, and sacrifice their souls to him. This is accomplished by setting traps of three different natures (floor based, wall based, and ceiling based). If set properly, one can achieve some very nasty combos...especially if done in conjunction with certain rooms' indigenous traps.

I've always loved the Deception series (although I've never played the original Deception). When I catch my enemies in these traps, it is sometimes laugh out loud hysterical as you see them get bounced, launched, impaled, burnt, drowned, skewered, crushed, etc...again, it's funnier if done in a combo.

For example, using a smash floor to launch an enemy into the air toward a far wall, or even a room trap, and if your enemy lands on target, setting off the next trap (maybe a wall magnet, or even a crushing Mega rock). As the game progresses, you can create more fiendish traps, with far more powerful effects than your default repertiore.

Graphically, the game is better than its older PS1 brethren, but I've also seen better come from Tecmo. (The Dead or Alive games, and the Fatal Frame series.)

Speed wise, the game plays at about the same pace as the original Deception games. Characters often move slow, even when they're running.....like one of those dreams you have when you're trying to run, and barely making any headway.

Sounds....plenty of screams, crushing, chopping, and the music is alright.

Controls.....well, they handle just like the original Deception games, so those of you who are fans of Deception series will have NO problem at all settling into Trapt.

The frustration factor is actually pretty balanced. You frack up....you really frack up...but thankfully, our heroine is fairly resilient, so you won't exactly get killed on the first blow by an enemy. It's funny sometimes when you get caught by accidentally setting off your own traps, on yourself....and sometimes, you can even sacrifice some health if it means luring an intruder into one of your traps.

BOTTOM LINE: This game is basically just a prettier version of the original PS1 Deception series...but if you are a fan of the original trio, and don't set your expectations super high, you will actually enjoy this game. I've barely scratched the surface, and there seem to be some unlockables that I will have to look into.