Go Back   Colonial Fleets > ALTERNATE UNIVERSES > Other Science Fiction Shows
Notices
Other Science Fiction Shows A place to discuss all of the other Sci-Fi shows
which may tickle your fancy!

Old May 23rd, 2020, 03:00 PM   #31
Gunstar Aries
Stubborn Colonial Warship

Default Re: Best SF Series that Almost Were

As I recall, there was an idea to do a series of 2-hour TV movies revolving around Captain Sulu and the Excelsior (ironically, the original idea for Battlesar Galactiica was for a series of 2-hour movies, then ABC changed their minds and wanted a weekly).

I've heard it never got off the ground because the character(s) would be owned by the Gene Roddenberry estate, leaving those responsible for Star Trek; the Next Generation, Deep Space 9, V'ger, etc without a cash cow.

Regards,
Old October 19th, 2020, 11:01 PM   #32
Eric Paddon
Squadron Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
GENESIS II/PLANET EARTH

http://www.moria.co.nz/index.php?opt...d=2923Itemid=1

Logan's Run wanttobe. I HATED IT for the same exact structural reasons I hated ST:TNG.

"Genesis II" at least had the pleasant diversion of Mariette Hartley and her two navels, and an initial set-up that was interesting before falling apart in its final half. "Planet Earth" though was insipidly bad and insulting on all others (after suffering through it, I then laughed out loud at the end how the closing narration ripped off the old New York cop show "Naked City" completely!).

Both films just got a Blu-Ray release.
"They hate us with every fiber of their being. We love....freedom, independence, the right to question. To them it is an alien way of living."-The non-myopic wisdom of Commander Adama, "Saga Of A Star World"

"How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."-Ronald Reagan
Eric Paddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2020, 03:22 PM   #33
Senmut
Strike Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999 View Post
Damocles -

You don't like much do you? This thread is about "Best SciFi Series That Almost Were", which implies that some feel that there was some potential for success. We've got plenty of "why I hate" or "why I don't like" threads going. Let's keep this one on a positive vein - it's a welcome change.

Regards,

Gemini1999
Colonial Fleets Moderator
AMEN!!! I have to confess that I liked Otherworld. Seeing John Astin in a serious part that is not comedic or anything like Gomez Addams was kind of nice. As usual, the NitJerk suits didn't see potential when it was stapled to their faces.
----------------------------
"You know the night before was a tough one when even the sound of the fizz hurts your head." -Mike Hammer.
Senmut is offline   Reply With Quote