Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old June 26th, 2003, 09:57 PM   #1
Sept17th
Clunky Man In Suit

Thumbs down The Mini-Series Give It a Chance Crowd

I love the "give it a chance crowd". I wonder if that argument works for everything.

"Hey Liberal Democrat Economists, I know you have done your research and read up on the presidents tax cut plan but stop whining please. Just give it a chanceā€¦if after its been implemented the deficits balloon and the economy tanks then complain".

"Hey Poland, just give the Nazi's a chance if they screw up your country and annihilate millions then fight back".

Come up with your own...it'll be fun
Another Film Maker
Sept17th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #2
Kai
3D Pioneers Leader
Victorian Engineer

now I find that offensive.

how about 'it's just a TV program. get over it. why not worry about something that matters like all the hungry in the world or how many ppl die on the roads everyday because ppl don't slow down ?' etc etc etc.

opinions like the above make me want to cancel ALL BSG and bury it. why? BECAUSE ITS GOING TO DAMN FAR! It's a TV SHOW for christs sake!
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 11:35 PM   #3
Bug-Eyed Earl
Shuttle Pilot

That's a little offensive, don't you think?
Bug-Eyed Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 08:50 PM   #4
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

We're moving this back into the main section. Just remember folks, this is just one puny little thread. Please don't let it get you guys riled up at each other.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 03:23 PM   #5
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Default No Chance

I wouldn't watch this new show if it were the only thing on TV. Giving this a chance is like saying it was a GREAT idea to kill of one of the greatest characters in Star Trek history, James Tiberius Kirk for a damned keypad. First Contact was only a hit because many including myself were hoping/praying for Kirk to return and kick some Borg butt.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 10:20 PM   #6
Kai
3D Pioneers Leader
Victorian Engineer

[QUOTEI wouldn't watch this new show if it were the only thing on TV. Giving this a chance is like saying it was a GREAT idea to kill of one of the greatest characters in Star Trek history, James Tiberius Kirk for a damned keypad. First Contact was only a hit because many including myself were hoping/praying for Kirk to return and kick some Borg butt.[/QUOTE]

????

1: I was well known that Kirk was NOT going to be in the movie. so you're prayers were.. stupid? anyway.. what is the fuss about Kirk? Patrick Stewart is 20 times the actor Shatner is!

2: First Contact was actually the BETTER of the TNG Crew Movies. Generations just pandered to the accountants. Insurrection was just.. dead. Nemesis should not have been made.

3: What has this to do with the Original Post?

4: Oh I'm sorry, if anyone wants to give the remake a chance, they're all nazi scum (Inferred by the first post) and less than human. Way to go to make new friends and influence ppl!!
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 11:55 PM   #7
originalsinner

Default Chances that never work

1. Dukes of Hazzard: Coy and Vance for Bo and luke
2. CHiPs: Bobby Nelson for John Baker
3. Bewitched: Dick Sargent for Dick York
4. Threes Company: Ralph farly for the Ropers and Terry Alden for Chrissy Snow
5. G80: Troy and Dillon for Apollo and Starbuck
6. New Coke for Coke
7. BATA for VHS
8. XFL for NFL
9. Buck Rogers: Dark haired Wilma Deering for Blonde haired Wilma Deering
10. Jar Jar Binks for the Trix's Rabbit.
Old July 3rd, 2003, 07:41 AM   #8
kingfish
Strike Leader

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdministrator
Battlestar Pacifica
Battlestar Rycon

Quote:
Originally posted by Kai
[QUOTEI wouldn't watch this new show if it were the only thing on TV. Giving this a chance is like saying it was a GREAT idea to kill of one of the greatest characters in Star Trek history, James Tiberius Kirk for a damned keypad. First Contact was only a hit because many including myself were hoping/praying for Kirk to return and kick some Borg butt.

????

1: I was well known that Kirk was NOT going to be in the movie. so you're prayers were.. stupid? anyway.. what is the fuss about Kirk? Patrick Stewart is 20 times the actor Shatner is!

2: First Contact was actually the BETTER of the TNG Crew Movies. Generations just pandered to the accountants. Insurrection was just.. dead. Nemesis should not have been made.

3: What has this to do with the Original Post?

4: Oh I'm sorry, if anyone wants to give the remake a chance, they're all nazi scum (Inferred by the first post) and less than human. Way to go to make new friends and influence ppl!!
[/QUOTE]

I compared the new BG reimagining to Kirk's demise. I don't like Nazi's. Comparisons to world events only fuel anger. Thomas had the correct idea. As for Stewart he is a great actor. Why did I think Kirk was going to be in First Contact is simple, Malcom MacDowell did an interview in which he said Star Trek fans would see Kirk again in the next film which was First Contact. I believe he was getting hate mail.
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:16 PM   #9
ravesholpulsar
Shuttle Pilot

Default RE: PATRICK STWEART IS 20 TIMES BETTER THAN SHATNER????

Dear Kingfish:

[/B][/QUOTE]
1: Patrick Stewart is 20 times the actor Shatner is!
friends and influence ppl!! [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm so tired of hearing that Patrick Stweart is a better actor than William Shatner.

Why is Patrick Stewart better? Because he has an English accent?

Many, and I do mean MANY people forget Shatner was a member of the Royal Shakespear Company of Canada. No small feat. His ENTIRE early career was ON STAGE DOING SHAKESPEAR.

He was pursued by Trek producers because he had a classical background JUST LIKE PATRICK STEWART.

He then went to America and did stage work where he was earning a damn good living as an actor and didn't need to do Trek. But a steady paycheck and the chance to be seen by millions is something ALL actors aim for. That's why they're actors.

I'm not here to defend Shatner's current state of acting career. He's clearly made his choice and has decided to live the life of a celebrity icon but remember this:

WITHOUT THE SO-CALLED HAM ACTING OF WILLIAM SHATNER THERE WOULDN'T BE STAR TREK FOR PATRICK STEWART TO BE IN. HE'D BE JUST ANOTHER "RESPECTED STAGE ACTOR IN ENGLAND" DOING THE CLASSICS.

Watch BOTH pre-Trek Twilight Episodes as well as his early film work with Roger Corman where he plays a racist bent on causing a race riot in a small town. The film is THE INTRUDER.

Patrick iStewart is a fine actor. But so is William Shatner. While he was in Canada doing "The classics" Christopher Plummer was ill. Shatner filled in and the newspapers immediatley took notice. Even Christopher Plummer was impressed and they remain good friends to this day.

Shatner rarely acts. It's do partly through choice and of course type casting. Typecasting FOR ANY ACTOR is hard to shake loose. Patrick Stewart and the rest of the Next Generation cast don't have this problem because Star Trek: The Next Generation pales profoundly with their stories and character developments. This allows the actors to pursue other acting choices since their characters were not so defined.

The general public TO THIS DAY can quote lines from Classic star Trek even after 35+ years. All this from a show which was on for only 3 seasons back in the late 60's.

The general public can only remember that "the bald guy" from Star Trek is in the next Generation. I've read many posts from Fans of the Next Generation who seem to think the old Trek is old and the acting bad.

TIME AND ONLY TIME is the only way to judge art regardlesss of what form it takes. Whether its Beatles music or Classic Trek, the old Trek HAS PROVEN ITSELF.

The Next Generation with hundreds more episodes hasn't. That is a reality many NEXT GEN fans can't seem and refuse to grasp.

And neither, I'm afraid can you.

Rich R
ravesholpulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 01:23 PM   #10
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

psssst - ravesholpulsar!

Over here!

Ah, you know the quote about Patrick Stewart being the better actor? Kai said it, not Kingfish.

Just between us.

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:06 PM   #11
ravesholpulsar
Shuttle Pilot

Default TO KINGFISH: APOLOGIES FOR THE MIX-UP! :-(

Dawg:

Thanks for clearing that up. it's extremely hard for me to tell and I actually spent a solid 20 minutes trying to figure out to whom the quite came from!

My apolgies to Kingfish if you're reading this.

Embarressed, yours truly.

Rich R
ravesholpulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2003, 02:39 PM   #12
jjrakman

I am offended by people who are easily offended.

These hyper sensitive people are getting real lame already. "I am offended by this Avatar" "So and so said this or that, I'm offended." Give me a break. These people would not last a nano-second at Cylon Alliance.

Grow up and deal with it. Get a sense of humour for gods sake.

Not everything needs to be some over the top, "MTV's Real World," over emotional, highly dramatic, issue to cry over.

Get some Rhino Skin people.
Old July 4th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #13
Flamingo Girl
Squadron Leader

Veteran
Fleets Warrior

Political corectness is one of the worst ideas society has come up with to date.

"Dirk's always wanted to make love with himself, and now he could succeed!!!"
RH
Flamingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2003, 09:21 PM   #14
zoom314

Stargate I will have to see this Mini-Series before I pass judgement

Well the truth is I will have to see this Mini-Series before I pass judgement, The leaked Scripts could have been trial balloons or even complete non-sense for all that I know. Things in them may not reach past the cutting room floor, It's happened before. So I will wait and see what happens in December 2003.
Old July 16th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #15
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: I will have to see this Mini-Series before I pass judgement

Quote:
Originally posted by zoom314
Well the truth is I will have to see this Mini-Series before I pass judgement, The leaked Scripts could have been trial balloons or even complete non-sense for all that I know. Things in them may not reach past the cutting room floor, It's happened before. So I will wait and see what happens in December 2003.
Haven't we heard this before?

zoom314,

For more information, check the following URL:

http://www.cylon.org/bsg2003/remake-...ew-rdm-02.html

(The answer to CA Question# 35 may be of particular interest to you).

BST
BST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2003, 03:37 PM   #16
zoom314

Default Re: Re: I will have to see this Mini-Series before I pass judgement

Quote:
Originally posted by BST
Haven't we heard this before?

zoom314,

For more information, check the following URL:

http://www.cylon.org/bsg2003/remake-...ew-rdm-02.html

(The answer to CA Question# 35 may be of particular interest to you).

BST
BST I think You missed something.

Quote:
CA 35. How different will the aired production be from the leaked script?

Not that different, but since that was a couple of drafts ago, I'd have to sit down and look at the final and the leaked version side by side to really give you an answer.

Well since you didn't provide the Answer, I did and It says what was Leaked is NOT Final, Understand? And Besides I've already read It, But I decided to humor you. :tongue:
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:02 PM   #17
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

Default Re: Re: Re: I will have to see this Mini-Series before I pass judgement

Quote:
Originally posted by zoom314
BST I think You missed something.

Well since you didn't provide the Answer, I did and It says what was Leaked is NOT Final, Understand? And Besides I've already read It, But I decided to humor you. :tongue:
Thanks for the humor, zoom314. (I apparently missed that too. )

Considering that the responses (in the interview) were by the man who WROTE the script, I would consider them to be genuine and indicative of what would be contained in the final product. (I "read between the lines".)

I don't need to sit in front of the TV and watch frame-by-frame to determine what differences there may be in the finished product. My own personal opinion is that based on what I know, from the leaked script and from what I read of Ron Moore's responses in the Cylon Alliance interview, I know that the show IS NOT for me. Suffice it to say that, I won't be "giving it a chance" because the Powers That Be BLEW their CHANCE with me!!

BST
Old July 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #18
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

There is also Two-Brain's review of the final script:

http://www.cylon.org/bsg2003/remake-review-01.html

I think, zoom314, that you will see little in the way of positive change between the leaked script and the final version Two-Brain was able to review.

Unless you think the gratuitous cold-blooded murder of an infant child to be a positive development.

(Guess where I stand on this production?)

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 11:08 AM   #19
Charybdis
Battlestar Callisto

Default The Right to be...

I teach a media law course in college and one of my students came up with an interesting twist on the right to free speech.

He said that everyone also has the right to be offended!!! So he was going to do his best to offend as many people as he could!!

In a way, he is right.

http://bscallisto.proboards.com/index.cgi
Charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2003, 12:40 PM   #20
Shatter
Bad Email Address

I think that between the responses by Moore in Two-Brain's interview, the most recent script release, and the blunt comments from Edward James Olmos, it isn't difficult to ascertain the major characteristics of the new mini, or the radical ways that it differs from TOS. Based on that information, it's been easy for me to dismiss the idea of watching the mini when it's released in December. Based on what I already know, I know I'll come away offended and angry. Heck, I've already been offended and angry enough over all I've learned about the new production in past months. I don't need to sit down and give a chance to something I already know makes changes in a series I know and love and turns it into something I find offensive and valueless. I've got better things to do with my time (such as watching episodes of TOS on DVD by that time).
Shatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:32 PM   #21
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Thumbs up

I agree with you Flamingo girl!
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 09:41 PM   #22
zoom314

Well one thing is for sure, We will find out in December what They are/have been up to with the scripts, etc.

Last edited by zoom314; August 3rd, 2003 at 03:42 PM..
Old August 3rd, 2003, 03:29 PM   #23
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I saw the review ........the REVIEWS of the BS (REMAKE)
and PERSONALLY what I saw from reading the reviews
was alot of BS on the part of the REMAKE. I thought
the reviews were SPOT ON!

GIVE IT A CHANCE? I'd just assume scrap that script
along with MOORE and HAMMER and start OVER!
Old August 3rd, 2003, 03:47 PM   #24
zoom314

Quote:
Originally posted by shiningstar
I'd just assume scrap that script
along with MOORE and HAMMER and start OVER!
Well I dount that will happen, Before Hell Freezes over. In any case I will Judge It on It's own merits, Not versus the Original. As that would be like comparing Apples to Oranges.:p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p
Old August 3rd, 2003, 04:15 PM   #25
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

I'm sorry Zoom but I disagree with you. Until they
take out the baby killing and BALTER WRITHING in his chair, and the warriors going into Closets to MAKE OUT .......
there is no way that I will ever allow my CHILDREN to watch
THAT!

And with seeing many of the PICS already on LINE ........
I would say that the FILMING has to be BASICALLY DONE
and only the editing remains and if they edit out the bad scenes I'm truelly wandering if they will have even THREE
hours LEFT of the ORIGINAL REMAKE!
Old August 3rd, 2003, 05:02 PM   #26
amberstar
Strike Leader

Shatter has said exactly how I feel about the mini.
Also my child will not be watching this felgercarb and I wont either. Apple and Oranges is about right. Not much about this mini is Battlestar Galatica.
Bright side is at least we will have uncut dvds to watch
I am excited about that!
Amberstar
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 06:58 PM   #27
BST
Snowball, My Angel Baby

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
Colonial Fleets

I HAVE ABSOLUTELY HAD IT!!

I am going to preface these remarks by apologizing to the Admins and Mods of this forum and any of our own Artists and Modelers that worked on the mini, if I have overstepped my bounds with anything that I am about to say.

I am rarely agitated to this state but, I can stomach no more of these ridiculous, inane remarks such as
  • I'm going to wait and see.
    I'm going to judge it on it's own merits.
    I'm going to give it a chance.

Very few, if any, members of this forum feel this way mainly because this is a PRO-CONTINUATION forum and the story written by Ron Moore is a SLAP IN THE FACE to many if not all of us. This story deserves nothing short of a quick and merciful (and I am being very kind with this) DEATH!

Except for the artwork and sfx work done by our own artists, here, the story has absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever and those in charge of funding and producing it know this. That's why they are hijacking each recognizable item they can from the Original Series in order to trick the casual viewer into thinking they are watching Battlestar Galactica. You may call me "narrow-minded" or say that I have "tunnel-vision". So be it! But, if that is the case then, explain to me why the advertisements show the "Red-Eye" Cylon and the Original Vipers when these items will only receive token appearances in the mini. Without going into details about fair trade practices, it is a blatant misrepresentation of the product.

Many of us WANT to see the ORIGINAL Battlestar Galactica story CONTINUED. Many of us have fought for 25 years to see the story continued. We want to see what happens/happened to the characters that we admired. We want to see how they deal with the original premise of finding a new homeworld for the survivors of the holocaust. We want to see the elements of duty, honor and respect in the military ranks. We don't want to see Starbuckette, Lady Boom Boom, and a Cylon hooker/baby killer. We don't want to see everybody having "problems". We don't want to see hot-headed junior officers striking senior officers. Wasn't the loss of billions of lives and the destruction of their homeworlds enough for these people!!! People like this don't need to have their hands on the power and weaponry of a planet-killing battleship, they need to be in rehab!

If you are going to watch the program that airs on the Sci-Fi channel, on December 7th and 8th, you have my sympathies. This show will, in no way, be Battlestar Galactica, except of course, in name only.

BST
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:25 PM   #28
amberstar
Strike Leader

Thumbs up

Well said BST!
Amberstar:sunshi:
amberstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:27 PM   #29
amberstar
Strike Leader

By the way I've been seeing alot of you with cool pictures under your names. Remember I'm new here, so how did you get them and how can I get one?
BST I noticed you changed yours - I like the new one
Amberstar
Old August 3rd, 2003, 07:32 PM   #30
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

Well said BST! I too believed those remarks ..............
Until I opened up my EYES and READ the script ,
and the reviews ...........and downloaded the pics of the
remake to study ...........Can you believe that one of the
pics is WHERE the "CYLON" is 'cuddling' the baby she's about
to kill! Under no circumstances will my children watch that
show.