Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 14th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #1
Afan2
Bad Email Address

Default What if…? (conspiracy theory)

Here are a few thoughts that have been nagging me.
People like TwoBrainedCylon have wondered if the script that has been leaked is a decoy.
Certainly, the sexually explicit content is bizarre. If the target audience of the Moore/Eick/Hammer production is made up of teenagers, I wonder if their parents will allow them to watch a television show with handjobs and whatnot.
What if this script that has been circulating on the Net is indeed a decoy – and the real script at Sci-Fi is just slightly better than this one, although still a “reimagining”? And what if Sci-Fi waits until the last moment to reveal their true intentions?
It could be that many fans will be so relieved that the abhomination we’ve read about isn’t going through that they’ll embrace the MEH production.
For me, it would make no difference. A script where Starbuck is turned into a woman, with suggestions of an affair between “her” and Apollo, that banalizes the character’s names in such a way (Lee “Apollo” Adama, Paul Tigh, Kara “Starbuck” Whatever…) will not get my attention, or even my respect.
But could Sci-Fi have been counting all along on a scheme to make the fans switch sides at the last moment? This might also discredit Michael Faries and his sources among fandom, which I’m sure Bonnie Hammer would love.
Then again, this is probably giving ourselves more importance than they do…

Last edited by Afan2; February 14th, 2003 at 06:59 AM..
Afan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 06:54 AM   #2
Thomas P

Council of Elders
TOS Gladiator Manager

No, there's no question that the script circulating is real.

There's word that it's been rewritten somewhat since then, though none of the reported changes substantially reflect a different tone or approach; they're basically (thus far) cosmetic and possibly in response to fan complaints (Thrace gets some brig time for the fight, humans are spread out over twelve worlds as in the original instead of all living on Kobol).

The youth demo is an important target for SCIFI (as they see it), but producers/"networks"/writers/actors all have somewhat different agendas and try to work together on them. Nothing in Moore's script is pitched specifically to the youth demo -- there are many characters of different ages, very few if any "teeny" characters -- and very adult dramatic themes.

The sexual content of the script is about what you'd expect to find in a cable miniseries directed toward adults, or on some broadcast dramas.
Thomas P is offline   Reply With Quote