Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Conventions
Notices
Conventions Non BG Conventions included too!

Old September 7th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #1
Captain Chirri
Shuttle Pilot

Big Grin Just got back from Dragon Con!

I just got back from Dragon Con and I had a ball!

Getting to the airport was a pain and a half. First, I went to the wrong airport; then I was at the wrong gate! I was supposed to be at gate 28, and I was at gate 10!!! I ran like all hell was behind me, loaded down by my messenger bag, my heart is pounding, and it's at least a twenty minute walk at a normal pace.

I hit the walkways running like a bat out of hell, and made my flight with minutes to spare.

LOL!

I met Dirk Benedict on the Walk of Fame and mentioned that I had gotten and read both of his books, and he was pleasantly surprised. He wrote a real nice message on the photo I purchased, and when I told him my story, he was in shock and admitted that he had had a bad dream that he'd missed HIS flight.

I had my photo op, and THAT is a tale and a half. I'm desperately looking for the Froggy photo site, and I'm in the wrong HOTEL! I get to the right one, but I'm on the wrong level!

Then, it's almost my turn, and I hadn't gotten my receipt from the Froggy people. They couldn't find my paypal info, so they wrote me up a receipt and wouldn't you know it, he was ready to LEAVE!

I'm nearly in tears, ready to kick myself for being so FRACKING STUPID, and one of the staff motioned him over to take the picture. HOT DOG, he recognized me and put his arm around me for the picture.

Richard Hatch was pretty cool, but he spelled my name wrong when he autographed my copy of his book Resurrection! And it was printed clear as a bell on the badge.

He and Dirk had the audience in stitches laughing, they were goofing on each other, and they both had patience of gold when it came to the audience members (who, let's face it, can ask some dopey questions.)

I went to the Colonial Fleets party, but everyone was gathered in their own little cliques, yakking away, and I was the literal wallflower with no one to talk to.

Next time, I am going to search this group out, and hang out with you. I'm also going to be in uniform, even if I have top purchase it one piece at a time!
Captain Chirri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Default Re: Just got back from Dragon Con!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chirri View Post
I went to the Colonial Fleets party, ...
Just so you know, that wasn't us who put on that party. "Colonial Fleet" is a completely different group than "Colonial Fleets", and they are by all appearances more dedicated to another TV show than they are to BSG.

I'd hate to have anyone mistake us, Colonial Fleets, for that group.

Glad to hear you had a good time, though, and I'm sure we'd all love to hear more from you and anyone else who attended DragonCon this year!

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Athene
Galactica's Princess

AWESOME!
Lucky, lucky you!
Do you have any photos to share with us?

Battlestar Earth admin
Galactica's Princess admin
Battlestar Galactica Club Board Theme/Avatar Keeper
Athene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #4
Reaper
Warrior ACE!

Glad it all seemed to work out in the end for you! congrats on everything and I'm glad tyo hear you'll be putting together a uniform

Classic fan, and die hard!
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #5
Kronus
CDR Kronus' Grandson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Chirri View Post
I went to the Colonial Fleets party, but everyone was gathered in their own little cliques, yakking away, and I was the literal wallflower with no one to talk to.

Next time, I am going to search this group out, and hang out with you. I'm also going to be in uniform, even if I have top purchase it one piece at a time!
Well we (Blackstar Squadron ) are growing in numbers and we hope by the next DragonCon WE WILL have a presence there to promote BSG as it should be...a lot of our members are here at “THE” Colonial Fleets and you would be most welcome to get costumed and join us no matter where you are located. (By the way, Battlestar Galactica.org guys are having fun trying to keep up with our orders; their stock is running low...hee hee).

Representing what BSG is all about is our Mission...and thanks to “THE” Colonial Fleets in providing us a living example of what BSG is all about...we know we will be the living breathing costuming representatives BSG has been looking for in the public's eye. Thanks Colonial Fleets!
Galactica the Movie is coming soon!
Kronus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:57 PM   #6
jojatk
Just Lost My Cherry!

I'm glad you enjoyed Dragon*Con. There were some very nice looking TOS uniforms and a few nice Cylon costumes as well this year. My favorites were a couple of guys wearing the all-white Colonial Warrior uniforms. I am scanning Flickr and everywhere else to find pictures because I didn't have my camera with me when I saw them (BUMMER!).

On the plus side I just tonight started a TOS Colonial Warrior uniform costume by ordering the blaster from Wilco when I got home from my business trip. Hopefully I'll have the whole thing assembled in time for next year's Dragon*Con! Maybe I'll see some of you there.

By the way, this is my first post. This site is AWESOME and I'm excited to read all the great posts and see all the amazing artwork by and for folks who love the original series like me (I went and saw the movie when they brought it to the theaters in Sensaround - it was awesome when the Galactica came overhead!).
jojatk is offline   Reply With Quote