Go Back   Colonial Fleets > BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DISCUSSION AREA > The Last Battlestar......Galactica!
Notices
The Last Battlestar......Galactica! For discussions about the ORIGINAL series
What Dreams May Come!

Old February 17th, 2004, 04:01 PM   #1
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Default Question: Larson -mgm - Who Got The Money To Do 'battlestar'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBrainedCylon
Larson has the movie rights. Larson was working with MGM to get a movie made. He plans on having a theatrical release within 2 years of a continuation movie of some sort. That's the easy part. Sandy

Did Larson sell his Battlestar rights to MGM or did Larson pay MGM to produce or consider doing his Battlestar theatrical movie rights?

Last edited by dvo47p; February 20th, 2004 at 08:53 AM..
dvo47p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:12 PM   #2
The Rain
Bad Email Address

What was that? I don't quite think I heard you?

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:32 PM   #3
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rain
What was that? I don't quite think I heard you?

GOOD
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #4
The Rain
Bad Email Address

LOL! :laugh:

The Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 04:50 PM   #5
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan ForceCo-Founder
Colonial Fan Force

Really, Dvo. Must you shout?

:laugh:

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #6
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Really, Dvo. Must you shout?

:laugh:

I am
Dawg

answer the question Dawg
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:13 PM   #7
Bombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvo47p
Did Larson sell his Battlestar rights to MGM or did Larson pay MGM to produce or consider doing his Battlestar theatrical movie rights? (original quotation is extremely, extremely large type.)
Golly, I don't know. Is this supposed to be an important question, or is it just a pop trivia quiz? Obviously, YOU care about the answer. I don't see why I should, so could you turn down the volume a little and try to behave as though you once had a mommy who at least tried to teach you some manners?

Old February 17th, 2004, 05:33 PM   #8
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Default What's all the fuss?

DVO -

You keep bringing up these questions about the MGM/Larson/BSG thing, but nobody seems to know as much about it as you do. What good does it do to throw questions like this out at everyone? If there were something to talk about, I'm sure people would be talking about it. I know that I haven't been part of BSG online fandom all that long, but my feeling about this is unless there is something concrete about this, it's all pure speculation

I know that some can turn speculation into a long and drawn out thing, but this topic just can't sustain itself without some facts to chew on. For me, I'll sit this one out until there is something to actually talk about.

Respectfully,
Bryan
________
ROLLS-ROYCE SILVER WRAITH
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 05:46 PM   #9
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini1999
DVO - I know that some can turn speculation into a long and drawn out thing, but this topic just can't sustain itself without some facts to chew on. For me, I'll sit this one out until there is something to actually talk about.
Respectfully, Bryan
Sorry Bryan, but I get emails from I think serious fans, they ask me, so I ask a few people, if they don't know I ask, here. What is wrong with that?

John
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:02 PM   #10
Gemini1999
Strike Leader

FORUM STAFFFleet Moderator
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
Sorry Bryan, but I get emails from I think serious fans, they ask me, so I ask a few people, if they don't know I ask, here. What is wrong with that?

John

John -

I wasn't trying to criticize - I probably just didn't word it in the best way. I guess that it can be frustrating for some (and I consider myself a serious fan, by the way) of us, to see this stuff pop out of the ether and get laid out before us. You seem to be frustrated by the same thing I am - a lack of concrete information. I hope that there is some meat on this bone, I really do... I would like someone to come out and say "I know!" and share it with us all.

I've just been seeing you start a number of threads at Skiffy, CA & CF concerning this subject - Maybe there just isn't any more info to be had at this point. There isn't anything wrong with your quest for info - I was just voicing my own personal opinion, nothing more.

Bryan
________
JUDAISM FORUM
Gemini1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM   #11
repcisg
Bad Email Address

dvo47p,

In an arraignment like a Larson/MGM team. Larson will produce, MGM will pay the bills. Larson will retain the copyright and MGM will have display(broadcast rights).
repcisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2004, 06:43 PM   #12
Bombadil

Quote:

John
Why, nothing at all! That actually sounded like a civil question. No shouting, no implied AHA!!
Sometimes it's the tone of voice more than the actual words. Maybe your question actually is an interesting one, although Gemini1999 seems to think there isn't much substance to it. Anybody else care to contribute an opinion or some facts, presented in a civil manner that does not involve any broken table tops or eardrums? If nobody has anything to add, perhaps we could just drop it.

Old February 18th, 2004, 05:51 AM   #13
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Battlestar Galactica 2003
COMMAND INSIGNIACoFounder
Colonial Fleets

Larson fought in court to gain the thearetical rights for Battlestar Galactica. He won but also had to pay a considerble sum for the rights. Now that being said i could not tell you how much he actually spent on them. In talking with some it wasn't cheap, no numbers though. Enough money was spent on the rights that it would make it pretty hard to sit on them without trying to regain some of the funds without doing a production. Since Larson won those rights he also retains considerble rights to certain elements that he must be given credit to if used by scifi. Hence his credits on the mini series when he did nothing.

At the con in his speech he stated that alot hinged on how people percieved the new mini series. Larson did not hold back his annimosity for it. Many times in his speech he poked fun at it in many different ways, including Starbuck's change of gender.

Within the speech he told everyone in attendance that he did indeed aquire the rights and will do everything in his power to bring some sort of original concept back for the TOS fans. All of the original actors in attendance stood right there with him on stage and gave there support to him and basically were ready to go if he made the call.

So that's where we sit now. DeSanto and Larson are together on this and from all indication Larson wants DeSanto to be there. Now that being said DeSanto has commitments. At the time he still was contractually obligated to Scifi/Universal. He could not do anything with Galactica until that contract expired. I would imagne it's done now but couldnt' tell you for sure. Plus DeSanto and Singer have at least 3 projects going on right now that there heavy into. X-Men 3 to be exact. So we wait and see.

From all indication Larson wants something to begin in 2 years. MGM has been rumoured to be the company he's put his tag on but who knows, this is hollywood folks. Things change daily there. Just ask DeSanto.

So we wait and see.

Old February 18th, 2004, 08:33 AM   #14
thomas7g
out there somewhere

COMMAND INSIGNIAFormer Admin (ret)
Colonial Fleets
BattlestarGalactica-Fleets.com
Owner
Ship Of Lights Forum

Quote:
At the con in his speech he stated that alot hinged on how people percieved the new mini series. Larson did not hold back his annimosity for it. Many times in his speech he poked fun at it in many different ways, including Starbuck's change of gender.
Alot of that had to deal with while he was made to wait for the show to start, he had quite a few drinks, and really teased Dirk Benedict about his "unofficial" wardrobe choices in his dressing room etc.

"There is a meaning for wings that can not fly!
Its a precious memory of when you once flew in the sky."
thomas7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #15
Bombadil

Thanks, Titon. That's actually interesting information. I like knowing the story behind the story. Especially when it's told in a soft, dramatic voice beside a campfire.
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:26 AM   #16
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Thomasbombadil,
I don't think we could aptly describe just how hilarious Glen and Dirk were. Both were playing out their pain over Starbuck with humor... it was funny and it was also good to see that they shared alot of our feelings. It was also neat to see that there was still a good friendship there after all of these years.

Oh, I would add that Glen did say something about being able to use the Starbuck and Apollo characters in response to a question someone asked.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:56 AM   #17
repcisg
Bad Email Address

I would like to point out Glen also has the rights to the Pegasus. If he and Tom were to bring the Pegasus and Galactica together in a continuation movie, Wtih Tom's story telling ability, they could blow the socks off any other SciFi movie or production currently out there.
Old February 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #18
dvo47p
Bad Email Address

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
At the con in his speech he stated that Alot hinged on how people perceived the new mini series. Larson did not hold back his animosity for it. Many times in his speech he poked fun at it in many different ways, including Starbuck's change of gender.

Within the speech he told everyone in attendance that he did indeed acquire the rights and will do everything in his power to bring some sort of original concept back for the TOS fans. All of the original actors in attendance stood right there with him on stage and gave there support to him and basically were ready to go if he made the call.

So that's where we sit now. DeSanto and Larson are together on this and from all indication Larson wants DeSanto to be there. Now that being said DeSanto has commitments. At the time he still was contractually obligated to Scifi/Universal. He could not do anything with Galactica until that contract expired. I would imagine it's done now but couldn’t' tell you for sure. Plus DeSanto and Singer have at least 3 projects going on right now that there heavy into. X-Men 3 to be exact. So we wait and see.

From all indication Larson wants something to begin in 2 years. MGM has been rumored to be the company he's put his tag on but who knows, this is a Hollywood folk. Things change daily there. Just ask DeSanto.

So we wait and see.
I hear from a Paramount employee that knows about Ronald D. Moore. Apparently Ron is worried that his version could be eclipsed by an MGM movie? Especially the CG stuff a movie would really out do the ‘mini’ in FX stuff. This is just the tip of a Battlestar movie iceberg, 'mini' on cable with ads vs. Battlestar the movie, duh.........

Richard Hatch is in the equation?

Larson and Hatch did not speak or whatever for a while? Plus Hatch’s Battlestar Galactica: The Second Coming peeved Larson, was there an earlier history of bad blood between them?

The Galacticon got the interest of some @ Universal as the Hotel was close to some Universal HQ? The guest list was impressive but attendance was not?

More speculation from the left coast, NAME RECOGNITION is Moore’s ‘lite’ version free advertising for a possible MGM movie?

The DVD sales did surprise Universal! I bet Larson thanking Universal’s late release of Battlestar Galactica on DVD, cause if he had to pony up for his Battlestar rights after DVD sales, the cost would be higher.

Some Paramount people cannot separate Ron Moore from Michael Pillar, both ST: TNG & DS9 guys, now Pillar An executive at USA, also Eick is @ USA, doing more than Galactica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titon
Hence his credits on the mini series when he did nothing.
Oh I think there is much more to this than Christopher Eric James & that WGA thing, I do not think David Eick is in the Glen A. Larson fan club………
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #19
nccdee
Warrior

I remember reading at Darkhorions.com (sometime within the last six months), that three Larson TV series were going to be made into movies. Correct me if I am wrong but is it true that Mel Gibson is planning to do the A-Team and that Tom Selleck is coming back for Magnum P.I. Anybody know what the 3rd one is?

I am wondering if this is a plan to keep Larson busy and way from any Battlestar project in the near future.

nccdee
nccdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 06:18 PM   #20
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Six Million Dollar Man is the other one I believe, nccdee.

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

Old February 18th, 2004, 06:20 PM   #21
jewels

Colonial Fleets

I thought A-Team was Stephen J. Cannell, not Larson, but I could be wrong....Peter Noble would know the most about Magnum or A-Team, though TracyB might be up on A-Team too.

Old February 18th, 2004, 07:03 PM   #22
Dawg
Great Wise Guru

COMMAND INSIGNIAAdmin
ColonialFleets.com
SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDCo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com
Owner/Webmaster
DirkBenedictCentral.com
Colonial Fan Force

Yes, A-Team was Cannell (nice guy - met him not long ago)

I am
Dawg

My Places:

DirkBenedictCentral.com, Facebook: Dirk Benedict Central Twitter: @DBCdotCOM Dirk's appearances: Appearances

Tombs of Kobol
Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 11:35 PM   #23
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

The Larson shows in development as movies are: Knight Rider, The Fall Guy and Magnum pi.

Peter
Old February 19th, 2004, 06:04 AM   #24
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Dvo, easy on the text thing. Some people don't like the heavy handed text and spreading it out becomes annoying.

Old February 19th, 2004, 06:15 AM   #25
Titon
Retired or am I?

Special Effects Artist
Colonial Fleets

Quote:
I would like to point out Glen also has the rights to the Pegasus. If he and Tom were to bring the Pegasus and Galactica together in a continuation movie, Wtih Tom's story telling ability, they could blow the socks off any other SciFi movie or production currently out there.
Ah, you are a wise one. Glen has wanted to branch off into the Pegasus storyline for years but this is where the trouble is. No one will touch this. DeSanto want's nothing to do with this storyline. The show is Battlestar Galactica and to produce a Pegasus storyline is not in the cards. Glen's stubborn on this one and won't let it go. It's my opinion this is one of the MAJOR reasons a continuation with Glen has been on hold for these many years. He's possessed by the storyline, it's a great one but Battlestar Galactica is it's name.

In order for the Pegasus storyline to work you would have to include the Galactica. In all this time the Galactica would be there in name only. Combining some of the old cast would be very difficult in this way. You could but your opening up a rather difficult storyline. If Glen is set on the Pegasus storyline then my choice would be to have Battlestar Galactica way in the future. Move it forward like DeSanto did even if you did not include any of the original cast. Pegasus most definatly could be there eventually but Galactica must come first.

Oh, and a little birdie told me that MGM, IF THERE THE STUDIO, has already expressed they won't do a Pegasus storyline.

Old February 19th, 2004, 07:16 AM   #26
jewels

Colonial Fleets

Well, if it is still MGM: that's a relief. I too think you HAVE to start with the Galactica, though a transmission from the Pegasus could make a nice cliffhanger at the end of the movie. (sort of like the Phoenix on the water image at the end of X2. )

Old February 19th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #27
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Hum, is there a pipe-line to Glen? Even a little one? I'm working on an Idea, and if I can get it to jell, it might just be the way for him to get his story out.

More to come.
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:31 PM   #28
peter noble
Strike Leader

Colonial Fan Force
COMMAND INSIGNIACo-Owner
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by repcisg
Hum, is there a pipe-line to Glen? Even a little one? I'm working on an Idea, and if I can get it to jell, it might just be the way for him to get his story out.

More to come.
I've had dealings with his son Chris and know how to contact him.

Peter
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:49 PM   #29
repcisg
Bad Email Address

Thanks Peter, Email you.