Go Back   Colonial Fleets > REEL-WORLD CONNECTION > Chats, Interviews, and Podcasts
Notices

Old October 25th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #31
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Battlestar Galactica 1978 Yup that was me.

Forgive me folks, I'm about to head a little off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Welcome, Gordon

So you're the one that put the animated idea into Richard's head a few years ago? I had a conversation with him about possibly doing animations of his books back when I was his webmaster. He mentioned then that someone else had brought an animation idea up with him.

On another note, regarding the reson models- Note in our gallery that the physical models category is kinda, well... empty Feel free to post pics of your models there.
Yes, that was me. I had originally contacted Richard about the possibility of getting a video copy of the Second Coming to view. I rarely make it to out-of-state conventions, so being able to see the thing was highly unlikely.

As it turned out, he wasn't completely done with it and wanted to find folks to do really pro CGI to flesh it out. My company in a many-headed monster, INCLUDING the ability to do CGI (and artistically I might add!) so he rang me up and we talked for quite a while about Galactica and the state of affairs in fandom and such. He was very excited about getting this stuff done, but was completely unprepared when I asked him for layouts or storyboards. Now, I don't control the arm of the company that does the computer work... that's the owner Mike. I told Richard to talk with Mike and that I'd have a word with Mike about getting this stuff done gratis.

Richard and Mike had a long phone conversation. The practical upshot of which was that Richard didn't actually have any storyboarded sequences nor could he adequately describe the shots he desired. Mike told him that we'd be happy to help as soon as he could give us something to work from... we weren't going to simply generate a scattering of shots in the hopes that some of them might fit into the trailer somewhere. We're more than happy to help folks out when it comes to projects like this... just be prepared to tell us what you want so we don't waste a lot of money and energy and resources getting it done for you.

That was the last we heard from Richard.

There certainly weren't any bad feelings involved... no foul, no error. But I think Richard wasn't ready with the info we needed and didn't really want to think about it. He wanted someone to come in and assume the task and get it all done. We couldn't include that in our package.

But anyway, in that first conversation I had with Richard, I threw out that I thought it might be effective as an animated show. I pretty much laid out all the stuff I mentioned above, but Richard was hot on the heels of trying to get the thing launched as a live action gig. He must have stored the idea away and came back to it later when he started to explore options other than live action.

And I STILL have never seen the trailer. UGH.

As for the resin models, I've been doing lots of replicas of odd things from the show. Some of them can be seen in my interview at: http://cylon.org/bsg/bsg-smuder-01.html

I can't post images here yet, so if anyone wants to see the stuff I'm doig, I'll gladly pass on jpegs.

-Gordon

Death to the Cylons!
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:00 AM   #32
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Muffit Back ON topic...

I sat down and read the entirety of the DeSanto interview last night.

I'm CRYIN' too!!

Dudes, that would have been SO good.

I'd love to chat with Tom sometime. If anyone in contact with him would like to pass along my email info, please do. I have some generalized questions about preparing a pitch package that I'm sure he could answer.

-Gordon
spcglider@aol.com

Check out my website and watch puppet videos for grownups! WWW.puppetforge.com
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:29 AM   #33
ernie90125
Also Present

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDOwner:
BattlestarFanFilms.com

Gordon,

Thank you for your insightful post about your history with BSG. Don't worry about going off-topic a bit....that's the natural evolution of a thread.......

You're right Tom DeSanto's work sounds great. Its amazing he is so commited to BSG, and it really gives me confidence that we will one day get a Continuation.

In the meantime, you may like to get behind an endevour I am trying to get going........

There have been a great great many short BSG Continuation CGI fanfilms, plus some new live actions ones, and at present I'm making a website listing and linking them all. It can be a calling card......to show how serious we are and just how good it could be....

If you're work has some time between projects, why not create some sort of CGI project, even if it is short, to show your abilities, and how good you envisiage a BSG Continuation being. The more we do this, the stronger our case is.......
ernie90125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 08:35 AM   #34
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

You're props, from what I saw on cylon.org, are very good.........another thing you could do to contribute might be to loan them to the maker's of live action fanfilms....There are a few projects currently happening....

Until Tom comes thru for us..........its all about us trying to help ourselves to make our dreams come true. BSG for the fans, by the fans !
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:04 AM   #35
spcglider
Squadron Leader

All they have to do is ask.

I can either sell them the props, or I can lend them to the production...its up to them.

As far as the CGI thing goes, there really isn't much I can do in that arena. However, I have been considering doing a short film... probably a comedy... with puppets. I do alot of fun stuff with puppets. ALL of it is geared towards adults. Can't stand being asked to do kiddie parties....

Anyway, I have some ideas that may see fruition aftre the three puppet projects I have on the boards get resolved.

You can see my puppet work at WWW.puppetforge.com (my site). There are three pieces up there that are mine and three that are submissions. I'll be removing the submissions eventually and juts hang with my own stuff. Gotta get somebody who can re-work the site for me though. My current guy hasn't implimented my requests for over 4 years.

Anyway, yak yak yak...

-Gordon

P.S. Did I mention how GREAT it is to have found this forum???
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:19 PM   #36
Fragmentary

The props pictured in that interview looked awesome! Great work, simply fantastic.
Fragmentary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 01:27 PM   #37
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Cool

Why, thank you most kindly Fleet Moderator!

I really do need to start a thread over in the proper forum though!!!

-Gordon
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:42 PM   #38
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcglider
I sat down and read the entirety of the DeSanto interview last night.

I'm CRYIN' too!!

Dudes, that would have been SO good.

I'd love to chat with Tom sometime. If anyone in contact with him would like to pass along my email info, please do. I have some generalized questions about preparing a pitch package that I'm sure he could answer.

-Gordon
spcglider@aol.com

Check out my website and watch puppet videos for grownups! WWW.puppetforge.com
Hi Gordon

Tom wanted to know what you want. He love's talking to the fans but he's a little busy right now with Transformers. If you have specific questions post them here, or PM me. I would be happy to pass them along and hopefully Tom will answer them when he has time.

Also if there are any Galactica fans who are Lord of the Rings fans, Tom wanted you to know about Ringers. A great film made by the fans to explain their passion for Tolkien, something I am sure BSG fans understand. BTW, Tom was(Executive Producer) of Ringers.

Here's a few links.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...s=dvd&v=glance

http://www.theonering.net/ringers/

By the way it is not like Trekkies as the fans are respected here, and any fun made is to themselves.

Jim
dilbertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #39
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

dilbertman....I don't know how you know Tom, but he sounds like a very kind man....

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'm in a similar position with fellow fans of my favourite rock band, as now I work with some of the band. I just considered myself an oridinary average fan, who got to work his dream job. Now I've got fellow fans patting me on the back for talking to them. To me it was just the natural thing to do.....it would seem Tom is like that.....one of us and willing to listen.

It is so sad when 'celebs' place themselves above other humans.....cos when it comes to it, that's all we are - human.

I wonder if Tom will do a thread a bit like the Aaron thread - and just drop in once in a while when he has time ? Please will you suggest it ?
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:41 PM   #40
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
dilbertman....I don't know how you know Tom, but he sounds like a very kind man....

Without blowing my own trumpet, I'm in a similar position with fellow fans of my favourite rock band, as now I work with some of the band. I just considered myself an oridinary average fan, who got to work his dream job. Now I've got fellow fans patting me on the back for talking to them. To me it was just the natural thing to do.....it would seem Tom is like that.....one of us and willing to listen.

It is so sad when 'celebs' place themselves above other humans.....cos when it comes to it, that's all we are - human.

I wonder if Tom will do a thread a bit like the Aaron thread - and just drop in once in a while when he has time ? Please will you suggest it ?
Will pass along the idea of a thread like Aaron did to Tom, but if he does do it, it would more then likey happen after he's done with Transformers. Tom's a fan just like the rest of us, just he's taken it to the next level.

Jim
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #41
ernie90125
Also Present

BattlestarFanFilms.com

Dilbertman........thanks. That's basically what I did, was move my love of the my favourite band to the next level. The Aaron thread inspired me to do something similar on the band's main forum.........I hope Tom will as well. Its fun, for all...

Thanks for passing on the idea....
Old October 25th, 2005, 09:49 PM   #42
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Quote:
As for the resin models, I've been doing lots of replicas of odd things from the show. Some of them can be seen in my interview at: http://cylon.org/bsg/bsg-smuder-01.html

I can't post images here yet, so if anyone wants to see the stuff I'm doig, I'll gladly pass on jpegs.

-Gordon

Death to the Cylons!
Damn! I knew when I saw the name "Gordon" it set something off in my brain. Saw those when CA put them up and was very impressed.

I do gotta say though... *Some* stuff from G-80 *is* worth making

Ever do anything in regards to the Daggit Squadron helmets?
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #43
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Cool

The "Land Probes" (BSG Season 2 terminology for the flying motorcycles) are on my list. I want to make a small replica over a proper model of the correct underlying motorbike.

The Daggit Squadron helmet is one of the VERY few things I'd like to add to my collection, and someday I will, but I don't expect to ever offer replicas.

IMHO, the wrist computers were too huge and clunky, the lasers were too small and uninteresting. What else was there in the show? I haven't watched it since it first aired, so I don't recall much.

-Gordon

P.S. Thank you for the kind words about my work!
Old October 26th, 2005, 07:48 AM   #44
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
The "Land Probes" (BSG Season 2 terminology for the flying motorcycles) are on my list. I want to make a small replica over a proper model of the correct underlying motorbike.

The Daggit Squadron helmet is one of the VERY few things I'd like to add to my collection, and someday I will, but I don't expect to ever offer replicas.

IMHO, the wrist computers were too huge and clunky, the lasers were too small and uninteresting. What else was there in the show? I haven't watched it since it first aired, so I don't recall much.

-Gordon

P.S. Thank you for the kind words about my work!
Me want "Land Proe" for X-mas. I want, I want , I want!!!

Jim
Old October 26th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #45
jewels
Stablemaster, Livery Ship

FORUM STAFFFleet Modertor
Colonial Fleets

Jim, thanks for the news that Ringers is getting a DVD release. I hadn't heard that and so wanted to see it. Thanks!!!

Jewels

"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one." Malcolm Reynolds [/color]

"We don't dictate to countries, we liberate countries." Mitt Romney [/color]
jewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #46
Darrell Lawrence
Formerly Warrior
The Lone Wolf

Colonial Fleets
3D Gladiators
Former Webmaster:
BattlestarGalactica.com
RichardHatch.com
GreatWarofMagellan.com
Web Tech:
LauretteSpang.com
DirkBenedictCentral.com
TombsofKobol.com

Gordon, I know you'r after obscure stuff, and after my G-80 comments, the biggy that comes to my mind is that Cylon Raider (The A-B one from "The Night The Cylons Landed").

I know a few people, myself included, who'd love to have a replica of that ship.
"Legends never die... They just get new Captains."
"Respect the past. It brought you the present."
Darrell Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #47
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Hmm... that one's not at the tippy top of my list. I'm looking at making a copy of the colonial rifle sometime in the future... and maybe the cylon pistol.

-G
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #48
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior
Gordon, I know you'r after obscure stuff, and after my G-80 comments, the biggy that comes to my mind is that Cylon Raider (The A-B one from "The Night The Cylons Landed").

I know a few people, myself included, who'd love to have a replica of that ship.
Want that to.

Jim
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:07 AM   #49
spcglider
Squadron Leader

Well, I have access to some truly superb detail drawings of the Colonial rifle. They were taken from the real thing, so they're dead-on accurate.

I'd like to make a couple of them or maybe offer them up as kits.

-G
Old October 27th, 2005, 08:46 AM   #50
dilbertman
Warrior Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie90125
This is a position I support. A live action show would be my primary desire, however rather than have nothing I would accept an Animation......or of course...both !!!!!

I surprised after X-men he didn't have the 'Peter Jackson' effect...or perhaps he did which is why they gave him the series that was so brutally taken away.....

I still think continueing to keep the faith in a Continuation is the way to go......
X-men did have some what of the 'Peter Jackson' effect. But, Tom was only half of that team. After Singer left, Tom was now half of PJ. And the rest is history. But I will say Tom is moving up in HW and it's just "WHEN" he will do a Galactica project not if.

Jim
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #51
shiningstar
Bad Email Address

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter noble
We all might not make it to the end of the journey, but hopefully one day, someone will take the best series Glen A. Larson ever conceived in his career in TV production, and treat with the love and respect, and care and attention it truly deserves.

Best,

Peter
shiningstar is offline   Reply With Quote